Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Nike Uniforms: April 3Rd

Ohio Colt

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for all of your angry replies. I honestly don't see anything wrong with a cool alternate, its like a compromise. And saying oldies was generalizing, i apologize, I do not change my opinions, however. Disappointed with the uniforms. not even a new stripe or two.

The Colts have one of the best uniform COLORS of any sport...but the design itself is hardly distinguishable from say....the Jets, or the Browns. The COLOR is what makes the Colts uniform great...not the 'classic look' that many other teams have as well. Changing a uniform design up a bit doesnt spit on history...it doesnt undermine what the franchise represents...your brand wont be harmed if they introduced a different or alternate jersey. The logo is staying the same, the colors are staying the same. I'm sorry to tell you, but the Colts arent historically significant in a way that one would think 'how dare they fiddle with that untouchable jersey'. They arent like the Yankees or the Celtics (who, by the way, introduced a few alternate jerseys a few years ago and their brand hasnt suffered. I like some of the possibilities that have been teased...and I wouldnt be against seeing some of the 'less crazy' ones find their way into the NFL at some point.

The Colts have one of the best uniform COLORS of any sport...but the design itself is hardly distinguishable from say....the Jets, or the Browns. The COLOR is what makes the Colts uniform great...not the 'classic look' that many other teams have as well. Changing a uniform design up a bit doesnt spit on history...it doesnt undermine what the franchise represents...your brand wont be harmed if they introduced a different or alternate jersey. The logo is staying the same, the colors are staying the same. I'm sorry to tell you, but the Colts arent historically significant in a way that one would think 'how dare they fiddle with that untouchable jersey'. They arent like the Yankees or the Celtics (who, by the way, introduced a few alternate jerseys a few years ago and their brand hasnt suffered. I like some of the possibilities that have been teased...and I wouldnt be against seeing some of the 'less crazy' ones find their way into the NFL at some point.

Agreed

I love how you assume that all of us who like our classic look are "oldies". I for one am not old. At all.

It's also a little narrow minded to think that all older people don't want change. A word of advice for you (just so you don't upset someone in the future): don't make sterotypical generalization assumptions. I know many "oldies" as you call them that would love a change in the uniform. Likewise, I know many younger people (like myself) who happen to like the classic look we have now.

I agree with KarlKuffs that gray would probably not look good with our blue, but I also think that black with our blue would look gross. So, why even do an alternate look?

I will go back and restate something I said earlier on this thread. There are certain teams in this league that could do a more modern look, and then there are teams that need (in my opinion) to remain with their classic look, such as: the Packers, the Steelers, the Cowboys, and us. I might also add the Chiefs and 49ers to that list. It's about honoring the history of the NFL for me.

I'm not arguing for or against changing the uniforms (I would take a judge-it-once-I-see-it approach, like always), but I DO know that (at least) the Packers and Steelers have throwback jerseys that are much different than their current jerseys. You can honor history while at the same time also throwing in a touch different here or there throughout the ages. Don't get me wrong, I love the Colts unis and am glad to see them unchanged, and I recognize that little things have been changed (usually unsuccessfully) on their jerseys, but I tend to try to have more of an open mind regarding things.

Biggest Hype Bust with theses uniforms since Capones' empty fault withe Geraldo

Not really....You must not understand how huge this is for Nike. Their stock just became a lot more valuable. Nike gear will sell cash....There's no bust that I can see other than people's wallets over time.

Not really....You must not understand how huge this is for Nike. Their stock just became a lot more valuable. Nike gear will sell cash....There's no bust that I can see other than people's wallets over time.

More teams will update their jerseys in the next couple of years...few were going to do a total redesign at this point. The jerseys may all look like they used to, but they are plenty different and will continue to change as we move forward.

Everyone is allowed their opinions. I have not called anyone out and said their opinion was wrong. I did get offended at being stereotyped (which was apologized for and I thank you for that apology AndrewLuck287), but I never said anyone was stupid or insinuated that someone was closed minded (which was done by vitoaf27). Nor have I said that anyone disagrees with my opinion is wrong for what they think. Instead, I have just stated what I like and what I would like to see, and why I would like to see the uniforms remain unchanged.

I also do not think that if the uniforms had been drastically changed that our "brand" would be hurt because of it. I never insinuated that it would be.

And I wasn't talking about baseball or basketball, I was talking about NFL. My point by naming some teams whose uniforms I think should not be altered drastically was that they have been around a lot longer than other teams, and yes I do like to see history represented. (Sorry for that, b/c I'm sure that will be a wrong thing to say as well.) I do realize that what uniforms look like now is not exactly what they looked like in the 60's but some have not been drastically changed. I like that.

It seems that because I have my opinion and that I don't happen to agree with those that would like to see changes I have been called out on it. I don't get it. I'm literally sitting here scratching my head. Apparently for liking how our uniforms look I am stupid and have no vision and am a stick in the mud...how's that??? I'm sorry I happen to like our traditional look. I'm glad they are virtually unchanged, and that the material (which we all knew would be different) is the only real difference.

One last thing and I am done. In my first post on this thread I said this: "...it is absolutely ok that some people want to see them change--it's called an opinion for a reason"

I also said this: “I feel I should add a disclaimer after reading some of the previous posts on this thread--this post in no way has anything to do with anybody else's posts made thus far, it just has to do with what the thread is about--changes to the Colts uniform and what I think and would like to see happen.”

Now, I did refer to AndrewLuck287 in my most current post, but I have explained why I did.

Again, these are my opinions. I do not begrudge anyone else their opinion, so please do not begrudge me mine.

Thank you for all of your angry replies. I honestly don't see anything wrong with a cool alternate, its like a compromise. And saying oldies was generalizing, i apologize, I do not change my opinions, however. Disappointed with the uniforms. not even a new stripe or two.

I'm with you. I think that 1 or 2 weekends out of the season, we need to step out of the 1900's and wear something modern for once. We can be boring the rest of the year. It's a fair compromise. I did a photoshop mock of what I would have wanted to see, but it wasn't well received lol.

I would embrace any sort of change. You have to also understand the business side of this. Oregon University has about 12 different uniforms, different styles they sell for their football team. The Colts have 2 different styles. Home and Away. BOOORING.I'm not saying that they need to completely redo their brand, but have a game or two where they are wearing alt jerseys. Something extra to sell to the fans. Variety is the money maker. I did a couple designs to what I think the Colts should wear in 2012. Get your puke bucket ready for any of you not wanting a blue helmet.

Home and Away

6849620819_58d8859b02_b.jpg

Coltsprocombatstandard by cody.hughes42, on Flickr

ALT Home and Away

6849621507_6b74d6fd3a_b.jpg

Coltsprocombatnontraditional by cody.hughes42, on Flickr

Boy, I am glad they didn't go to you for design inspirations. Those uniforms look like some school boy super hero fantasy. Hate the design.

Boy, I am glad they didn't go to you for design inspirations. Those uniforms look like some school boy super hero fantasy. Hate the design.

Thanks for your opinion. It means a lot to me :|

Not as much as Robert Mathis' opinion of them though...

6982133925_92127a0268.jpg

You are right though, their new design of the exact same thing that was there before is much more different and forward thinking...

I must stand up for my friend ColtsPRIDE11 here. Classic to some people might seem antiquated, obsolete, or like a stale piece of generic bread to some. To me classic, means something that defies borders, boundaries, & generational treads & fads. Classic withstands the test of time. Why reinvent the wheel when there is no need to? Grittiness, toughness, intimidation, & trench warfare emerge from within one's overall attitude & personal character not radically modified design schemes & bold colors. Slight alterations I am open to exploring, but not dramatic changes that distort & disfigure our rich Colts franchise history & tradition.

Just like ColtsPride11 so eloquently said. Certain football organizations like the Packers, Chiefs, Cowboys, Steelers, & Colts know when they have a classic uniform design going & they refuse to significantly alter a masterpiece beyond repair & devastation. ColtsPRIDE11 is exactly right & he has NOTHING to apologize for in any way, shape, or form period.

BAH - IMO the Colts should have changed when they moved to Indy and created their own "classic" and here again they have spoiled yet another chance with a new staff and team, IMO they again are living in the Baltimore past - their classic. Not an Indy classic,,,

I must stand up for my friend ColtsPRIDE11 here. Classic to some people might seem antiquated, obsolete, or like a stale piece of generic bread to some. To me classic, means something that defies borders, boundaries, & generational treads & fads. Classic withstands the test of time. Why reinvent the wheel when there is no need to? Grittiness, toughness, intimidation, & trench warfare emerge from within one's overall attitude & personal character not radically modified design schemes & bold colors. Slight alterations I am open to exploring, but not dramatic changes that distort & disfigure our rich Colts franchise history & tradition.

Just like ColtsPride11 so eloquently said. Certain football organizations like the Packers, Chiefs, Cowboys, Steelers, & Colts know when they have a classic uniform design going & they refuse to significantly alter a masterpiece beyond repair & devastation. ColtsPRIDE11 is exactly right & he has NOTHING to apologize for in any way, shape, or form period.

Or, to take it to an extreme point, you wouldn't want an alternate color flag flying over the White House once a week just because it would look cool. The black/grey/neon green flag just wouldn't cut it.

Some things are too symbolic to change. To many of us the jersey is one of them.

As "boring" as ever...and I LOVE IT! :blueshoe::helmet: The Colts uni is forever "classic" and should be left alone. Glad they didn't change hardly anything besides the universal changes such as nike logo, the material and the new collar which apply to all teams. Very happy overall. :D

BAH - IMO the Colts should have changed when they moved to Indy and created their own "classic" and here again they have spoiled yet another chance with a new staff and team, IMO they again are living in the Baltimore past - their classic. Not an Indy classic,,,

I don't want "Indy" classic which would probably be modernized arena league garbage...I want "Colts" classic and yes that goes back to the Baltimore days and includes the current Indy era. Jim Irsay knows what time it is...thank God.

I am a traditionalist....yes oldschool. I guess that is why I like the Indiana Pacer's throwback jersies to the days of George McGinnis, Roger Brown, Freddie Lewis, Mel Daniels and Billy Keller. LOVE the old ABA uniforms.

That said, the new Colt uniforms are bad to the bone, and bring a little old school with them with some pretty awesome gloves too! I never have purchased jersies....now I want to get the freaking helmet, pads, pants and go play Colt's football.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes....some love major change, some like minor change and some will forever 'fight ANY' change. I am ready for the football season, and whatever uniform the Colts are in I will support them! I may be buying my first jersey this year!! Go Colts!!

I enjoy the classic colt look, It certainly isn't as boring as Cleveland /Green Bay /Kansas City etc , since they actually have a logo instead of slapping a letter/nothing on the helmet like a college team. on the other hand I also don't want to see corporate sponsors written all over the jersey which might happen in the future. The only switch I would have made would have the NFL jerseys is longer jersey sleeves(yeah, I know how would we see the barbwire tats) that way you could see the stripes go all the way around. All the people calling for a radical new jersey after a couple of losses would demand a return to the classic look that Peyton & Marvin wore.

I like the look, but they're uniforms. I don't watch for uniforms, don't get up in arms over uniforms and have very little uniformal desires. I don't care if they wear pink and yellow so long as they still play football. Personally, I think some people get too caught up in it, but to each their own.

how are they "school boy super hero fantasy"? looks like they're basically solid colors top and bottom....wow, how radical

how are they "school boy super hero fantasy"? looks like they're basically solid colors top and bottom....wow, how radical

Didn't he tell you? If it's different, it sucks. :) I get paid for graphic design.

I don't know what he does for a living but I can handle his criticism. People who want the "classic" jersey would poop their pampers if we added an extra stripe to the jersey. It's unfortunate, but people hate change, so I understand the struggle. Hopefully we eventually get sweet ALT jerseys :) fair compromise.

I'm sorry to tell you, but the Colts arent historically significant in a way that one would think 'how dare they fiddle with that untouchable jersey'. They arent like the Yankees or the Celtics

Why do I suspect that you aren't so sorry to say that at all. :P

As a Mets and Knicks fan I don't spend much of my time desiring to emulate what the Yankees and Celtics do. I want the Colts to keep the same uniforms because I thought that they were about perfect when I fell in love with them in 1967-8, and I still feel the same way. Minor tweaks are fine, but radically redesigning them to either sell jersey's or appease the bored youth among us would be an abomination.

The pictures below reflect the only historical perspective that I'm concerned with - and it's darn near perfect. If they had put Peyton in black with glow-in-the-dark blue highlights and, and a fire-breathing horse as a logo, they might have sold a few more uniforms, but something far more worthwhile would have been lost.

johnny_unitas_feature.jpgpeyton-manning.jpg?w=300&h=231

Why do I suspect that you aren't so sorry to say that at all. :P

As a Mets and Knicks fan I don't spend much of my time desiring to emulate what the Yankees and Celtics do. I want the Colts to keep the same uniforms because I thought that they were about perfect when I fell in love with them in 1967-8, and I still feel the same way. Minor tweaks are fine, but radically redesigning them to either sell jersey's or appease the bored youth among us would be an abomination.

The pictures below reflect the only historical perspective that I'm concerned with - and it's darn near perfect. If they had put Peyton in black with glow-in-the-dark blue highlights and, and a fire-breathing horse as a logo, they might have sold a few more uniforms, but something far more worthwhile would have been lost.

johnny_unitas_feature.jpgpeyton-manning.jpg?w=300&h=231

Its not like the classic uniforms would be permanently gone. I figure they would use them once in a while on a Sunday/Monday night matchup similar to how the Ravens use their all black alternates.

boring ....

There are a few teams though that have some really slick improvements IMO ... I think the Seahawks are pretty sweet, maybe the most dramatic change?

Ironically I think that the new Seahawks uniforms are unimaginative and bland. The neon green highlights don't do much to help a fundamentally boring design.

I liked the darker green that they were using, and their helmet logo has always been good. I'm not sure how to describe the new look, but the goal seems to have been to pull together the worst of all their old designs in a singularly unimaginative miss-mosh. "Classic" example of how different is not necessarily better.

Its not like the classic uniforms would be permanently gone. I figure they would use them once in a while on a Sunday/Monday night matchup similar to how the Ravens use their all black alternates.

And how original is the All-Black Raven when they play on Sunday Night compared to the Jaguars trot out the All-Black Jaguar look on Sunday night? And before 2010 the Atlanta Falcons would trot out the All-Black Atlanta Falcon look for Sunday Night? The all-Black helmet jersey pants is cool if one team has the look when three have it uhhh. I've seen other teams that wear Blue & White that updated, option 1. Navy & White (see BYU) option 2. Black White & Blue (KC Royals 2003-2006) If that's all the options stick with what you have since everything reverts back to the original look (Giants, Jets) I do like the Colts uniforms around the 84-86 era if they have to spice things up add a little gray or silver and maybe a kicking Colt on the sleeve.

Ironically I think that the new Seahawks uniforms are unimaginative and bland. The neon green highlights don't do much to help a fundamentally boring design.

I liked the darker green that they were using, and their helmet logo has always been good. I'm not sure how to describe the new look, but the goal seems to have been to pull together the worst of all their old designs in a singularly unimaginative miss-mosh. "Classic" example of how different is not necessarily better.

I liked the uniforms that Seattle had been using too. When I saw the new logo, I was hoping for a silverish rendition of what they have been wearing. I get the new technology even though some teams have declined to use it, but I'm glad the Colts kept the traditional uniform. I still believe there will be a pro-combat jersey added at some point, just to offer something new to sell, and it will likely be loud and sorta ugly like most of the NCAA pro-combat versions when compared to what schools normally wear.

I liked the uniforms that Seattle had been using too. When I saw the new logo, I was hoping for a silverish rendition of what they have been wearing. I get the new technology even though some teams have declined to use it, but I'm glad the Colts kept the traditional uniform. I still believe there will be a pro-combat jersey added at some point, just to offer something new to sell, and it will likely be loud and sorta ugly like most of the NCAA pro-combat versions when compared to what schools normally wear.

I've been meaning to ask what everyone means by "combat" version. Other than "bullet proof vest", no relevant image springs to mind.

By the way, I like the idea that certain cities have a theme that seems inherent to the region. The rainy pacific northwest has had greenish/aquaish teams in three sports, and I think that that's cool regardless of the fact that occasionally they might be a bit out there. The fact that the new ones seem dull (but are being talked about as if they are a bold experiment) is both confusing and disappointing. If I was a Seahawks fan I would be furious.

Same theme, different sport, the Florida Marlins have been a bit dour in recent years with a preponderance of black uniforms, but their new logo just screams MIAMI. I'm tempted to get one of their hats, and I'm a diehard Mets fan. How do you look at this and not smile and think of summer days and tropical drinks (well I prefer beer, but you know what I mean).

FLAD103_1191103e.jpg

I've been meaning to ask what everyone means by "combat" version. Other than "bullet proof vest", no relevant image springs to mind.

By the way, I like the idea that certain cities have a theme that seems inherent to the region. The rainy pacific northwest has had greenish/aquaish teams in three sports, and I think that that's cool regardless of the fact that occasionally they might be a bit out there. The fact that the new ones seem dull (but are being talked about as if they are a bold experiment) is both confusing and disappointing. If I was a Seahawks fan I would be furious.

Same theme, different sport, the Florida Marlins have been a bit dour in recent years with a preponderance of black uniforms, but their new logo just screams MIAMI. I'm tempted to get one of their hats, and I'm a diehard Mets fan. How do you look at this and not smile and think of summer days and tropical drinks (well I prefer beer, but you know what I mean).

FLAD103_1191103e.jpg

To keep it simple it's the uniforms that Nike schools have worn once or twice a year.

Georgia for example

Georgia-Nike-Pro-Combat.jpg

It's just the "brand name" Nike uses for them.

I think you are in the minority here overall, but I think you will get your wish.

no. you are the one in the minority.

most of us dont want a singe thing to change in our uniforms.

don't spoil the tradition. I don't like your designs btw.