Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TE Jack Doyle expected to be placed on I.R.

MTC

2 hours ago, MTC said:

Noooooooooooooooo

2 hours ago, MTC said:

I am not the one to speculate, but I was able to re-play the last snap he took. He gets tackled after making the catch and immediately signals to get out after running off the field. 

A possible back or neck injury?

2 hours ago, MTC said:

Kidney injury.

I saw him take himself out yesterday and even pointed out in the game day thread. I assumed it was a concussion. Not this! Get well Jack

29 minutes ago, DougDew said:

OK, so here we are with this Ebron thing and hope it can be put to bed.  Let me summarize for the forum the events of the past few weeks:

Somebody said that Ebron was an amazing signing and backed that up by citing TE stats.

Over several argumentative posts that started by someone quoting a comment I made, I said I didn't think it was amazing because he's a receiver, not a TE, so comparing him with TE stats was not really the correct bucket of measurement.

Then without directly acknowledging my correctness, comments over the past few days have begun to lump him in with receiver stats in an effort to validate the previous opinion that he's amazing.

I then said that the stats of other receivers are created by going against actual CBs, not knowing for sure how much Ebron actually does.  So putting him into the receiver bucket of stats isn't a true comparison either.  The NFL, or PFF, doesn't really have a big universe peer group bucket to put him in.

Then compare these points to the 30, 000 foot level concepts about offense.

Myself, Superman, and some others have for years claimed the old offense struggled at times due to scheme simplicity.  And that someone like McDaniels...or Reich....would implement a scheme that by its nature got receivers more open.

So we have an offense that schemes receivers open more.  

We have a thread now that talks about possibly devoting a first round pick to a WR, with a bunch of comments saying that it isn't needed due to our scheme. 

Despite the improper and unclear bucket to put him in, the entire change of offense for the expressed purpose of scheming receivers open, comments still make their stubbornly boneheaded point by the same members swooping in and trying to make condescending comments to me over the coarse of a week in different threads.

We changed HCs and offensive scheme for the express purpose to get receivers open.  Detroit has a different scheme (that probably relies more on talent).  Ebron doesn't belong in the TE stat bucket because of the other roles that other TEs do, nor the WR bucket because of who is assigned coverage of other WRs.  So make your points with those facts in mind, and do so without quoting me in a condescending fashion, and maybe the forum will be less argumentative.

You know, I used to agree with a lot of your posts as they offered a blunt but honest take. However, I think you're starting to take that too far. You're posts as this season is gone on have gotten more and more troll like and close to that of notorious trolls (insert a certain poster with "pacer" in his name)

30 minutes ago, DougDew said:

OK, so here we are with this Ebron thing and hope it can be put to bed.  Let me summarize for the forum the events of the past few weeks:

Somebody said that Ebron was an amazing signing and backed that up by citing TE stats.

Over several argumentative posts that started by someone quoting a comment I made, I said I didn't think it was amazing because he's a receiver, not a TE, so comparing him with TE stats was not really the correct bucket of measurement.

Then without directly acknowledging my correctness, comments over the past few days have begun to lump him in with receiver stats in an effort to validate the previous opinion that he's amazing.

I then said that the stats of other receivers are created by going against actual CBs, not knowing for sure how much Ebron actually does.  So putting him into the receiver bucket of stats isn't a true comparison either.  The NFL, or PFF, doesn't really have a big universe peer group bucket to put him in.

Then compare these points to the 30, 000 foot level concepts about offense.

Myself, Superman, and some others have for years claimed the old offense struggled at times due to scheme simplicity.  And that someone like McDaniels...or Reich....would implement a scheme that by its nature got receivers more open.

So we have an offense that schemes receivers open more.  

We have a thread now that talks about possibly devoting a first round pick to a WR, with a bunch of comments saying that it isn't needed due to our scheme. 

Despite the improper and unclear bucket to put him in, the entire change of offense for the expressed purpose of scheming receivers open, comments still make their stubbornly boneheaded point by the same members swooping in and trying to make condescending comments to me over the coarse of a week in different threads.

We changed HCs and offensive scheme for the express purpose to get receivers open.  Detroit has a different scheme (that probably relies more on talent).  Ebron doesn't belong in the TE stat bucket because of the other roles that other TEs do, nor the WR bucket because of who is assigned coverage of other WRs.  So make your points with those facts in mind, and do so without quoting me in a condescending fashion, and maybe the forum will be less argumentative.

Ok like. Why you gotta be over complicating everything.

Ebron is a TE. He’s listed, as a TE. He’s playing good, as a TE. Hence why, people think he’s a good TE.

2 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Yes.  I remember the play as well.  He got up very slowly and immediately tapped his helmet to come out.  Had a look of extreme pain on his face.  I too couldn't remember if he ever came back after that.  Tough loss with Swoope & Cox out.  Even Hewitt has been out.  Definitely gotta go get a guy.  Maybe Daniels gets brought back?

There were 3 defenders making a b-line  for jack when he was doing his slow TE moves.....I told him to get down but he didn't listen.

26 minutes ago, csmopar said:

You know, I used to agree with a lot of your posts as they offered a blunt but honest take. However, I think you're starting to take that too far. You're posts as this season is gone on have gotten more and more troll like and close to that of notorious trolls (insert a certain poster with "pacer" in his name)

People have been trolling me.  Many of the posts out of the blue I've challenged.  There have been others in other threads that go out of their way to use the word "amazing" that I've simply let go.

Member X says 15 things to me. Member Y says 15 things to me.  Member Z says 15 things to me.  All the same thing.  I respond with 45 comments and statistically speaking, I have 3 times as many argumentative comments as anybody else.  I get it, and don't care really.

I simply said that Ebron is not amazing to my eye, he was not an amazing signing by Ballard, and pointed out my reasoning....and people troll me by claiming I'm saying that because I love Grigson.

That's not trolling?  Are you kidding me? And the worst troll on this forum is JackVan1973.

• Like 1

It is worth pointing out that this is not a subjective matter. TE is a position. A position is defined by where you line up on the field. Ebron lines up the majority of snaps off lined up next to the LT or RT. This is the Tight End position. He is therefore a Tight End. 

Jimmy Graham  drew questions several years back of whether he was a WR or a TE. This was because he was lining up for the majority of snaps in the slot or out wide. These questions were legitimate. The questions regarding Ebron's position are not legitimate - he is a TE because that is the position he lines up in.

Role has no bearing on what a player is listed as, only where the player lines up.

Very simple.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

People have been trolling me.  Many of the posts out of the blue I've challenged.  There have been others in other threads that go out of their way to use the word "amazing" that I've simply let go.

Member X says 15 things to me. Member Y says 15 things to me.  Member Z says 15 things to me.  All the same thing.  I respond with 45 comments and statistically speaking, I have 3 times as many argumentative comments as anybody else.  I get it, and don't care really.

I simply said that Ebron is not amazing to my eye, he was not an amazing signing by Ballard, and pointed out my reasoning....and people troll me by claiming I'm saying that because I love Grigson.

That's not trolling?  Are you kidding me? And the worst troll on this forum is JackVan1973.

Man you are giving Dougs a bad name (my first name). Your argument makes no sense. First off, to say it’s not fair to compare him to other tight ends only makes sense if no other tight ends went out and ran routes... which they do.. all the time. A lot of tight ends are basically match up nightmare creating receivers. This isn’t a knock or a bad thing, it’s a tremendously important and ubiquitous role of the modern day tight end. Then to say you shouldn’t compare him to receivers because cornerbacks cover them, bro... he also runs less routes per game, has other responsibilities to worry about, and is still catching TDS at a rate as good or better than every single stud receiver in this league. Also, if tight ends catching 12 TD passes is simply match up based, why don’t all tight ends have numbers like his? You are so wrong that I had to dig up my account and give up my lurking just to tell you how unbelievably unfair and ridiculous you are being. He is an amazing signing and having an absolutely amazing year. Good day.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I haven’t posted here as long as you, so I may be wrong, but I’ve never seen a JackVan1973 post here. 

39 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Ok like. Why you gotta be over complicating everything.

Ebron is a TE. He’s listed, as a TE. He’s playing good, as a TE. Hence why, people think he’s a good TE.

I needed a TE off my bench in my Dynasty league, as Kelce was on a bye...and there was Ebron right there listed as a TE, funny that.

3 minutes ago, AntonMcG said:

It is worth pointing out that this is not a subjective matter. TE is a position. A position is defined by where you line up on the field. Ebron lines up the majority of snaps off lined up next to the LT or RT. This is the Tight End position. He is therefore a Tight End. 

Jimmy Graham  drew questions several years back of whether he was a WR or a TE. This was because he was lining up for the majority of snaps in the slot or out wide. These questions were legitimate. The questions regarding Ebron's position are not legitimate - he is a TE because that is the position he lines up in.

Role has no bearing on what a player is listed as, only where the player lines up.

Very simple.

My goodness.  The "KISS" principle at it's finest.  

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I guess you don't see it, but you're moving the goalposts here.

Statement: Ebron is having a great year, look at where he ranks among TEs.

You: He's not really a TE, so it's not that great.

Statement: Well he's even doing good compared to receivers, look, he leads the league in receiving TDs.

Your: Well usually receivers are matched up against corners, and he's not, so that's still not impressive.

You've created a prism through which Ebron's performance will never be good enough, because all you have to do is change the angle to diminish what he's doing.

The truth is that Ebron gets matched up against lots of defenders, and we've faced 11 teams this season that have defended him various ways, and still he's scored 12 TDs and had lots of production. 

You also take thinly veiled shots at him. Stuff like 'Detroit's system was more based on talent, ours is more based on coaching, so we're scheming him open and the credit belong with the system, not Ebron.' As if to say he's not actually as talented as he's being given credit for.

That anyone would go to such lengths to avoid giving credit to a player who is actually playing really well is fascinating, but it makes people believe that you're not able to be objective about this player for some reason. 

Amen! Couldn't have said it better. Kudos Superman!!

1 minute ago, Btown_Colt said:

I haven’t posted here as long as you, so I may be wrong, but I’ve never seen a JackVan1973 post here. 

Nevermind.  That's not his real name.  Safe to say he has a lot of posts where he quotes a lot of people, not just me, to basically insinuate how dumb they are, but ironically, often uses no more than one 5 word sentence to do it.

27 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I only hope Ballard makes many more"not an amazing signing"in the next few years.

• Like 1

Just now, DougDew said:

Nevermind.  That's not his real name.  Safe to say he has a lot of posts where he quotes a lot of people, not just me, to basically insinuate how dumb they are, but ironically, often uses no more than one 5 word sentence to do it.

I know, I was joking. Like your doing with this whole Ebron is a WR thing. I’ve seen your posts...you know more than your letting on.

You keep claiming that anybody can do what Ebron is doing, but yet you can’t provide any of the names. And the thing is, your basic premise, isn't wrong necessarily....he is a receiving TE. Just admit that he is having a hell of a good season catching footballs and scoring TD’s, as a receiving TE, and people would leave you alone.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I guess you don't see it, but you're moving the goalposts here.

Statement: Ebron is having a great year, look at where he ranks among TEs.

You: He's not really a TE, so it's not that great.

Statement: Well he's even doing good compared to receivers, look, he leads the league in receiving TDs.

Your: Well usually receivers are matched up against corners, and he's not, so that's still not impressive.

You've created a prism through which Ebron's performance will never be good enough, because all you have to do is change the angle to diminish what he's doing.

The truth is that Ebron gets matched up against lots of defenders, and we've faced 11 teams this season that have defended him various ways, and still he's scored 12 TDs and had lots of production. 

You also take thinly veiled shots at him. Stuff like 'Detroit's system was more based on talent, ours is more based on coaching, so we're scheming him open and the credit belong with the system, not Ebron.' As if to say he's not actually as talented as he's being given credit for.

That anyone would go to such lengths to avoid giving credit to a player who is actually playing really well is fascinating, but it makes people believe that you're not able to be objective about this player for some reason. 

I think you are sensitive to Ebron for some reason.  You're usually logical but this post moves off that by some margin.

Did we not change systems to scheme players open?  Did Ebron have in his person the same level of talent last year in Detroit than he does now?  He's the same player as he was last year who is having a better year than he is ever had, and he's doing it with a better offensive coach and probably a better QB than he has ever had.

Given those facts, how in the world can anybody use his stats this year to conclude how talented he is?

I'm not saying he isn't.  I'm questioning the statement that he is, and asking for more support before I can get there. Those two thoughts are not the same thing.

6 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I know, I was joking. Like your doing with this whole Ebron is a WR thing. I’ve seen your posts...you know more than your letting on.

You keep claiming that anybody can do what Ebron is doing, but yet you can’t provide any of the names. And the thing is, your basic premise, isn't wrong necessarily....he is a receiving TE. Just admit that he is having a hell of a good season catching footballs and scoring TD’s, as a receiving TE, and people would leave you alone.

I think I have.  What I haven't done so far is claim what a superior talent he is or what a great "diamond in the rough" find he was, because I don't have a lot of info to believe it.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I think I have.  What I haven't done so far is claim what a talent he is or what a great "diamond in the rough" find he was, because I don't have a lot of info to believe it.

Sure you do. Did he perform like this in any of his previous years? Did Detroit never try to throw him the ball? He has always had the talent, he just never put it all together. Sure scheme helps, having Luck instead of Stanford probably helps to. 

It’s a great signing because a) his production exceeds his contract, b) he has been a huge part of the Colts success this year and c) because Ballard/Reich realized the talent and how it could be utilized on their team.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think you are sensitive to Ebron for some reason.  You're usually logical but this post moves off that by some margin.

Did we not change systems to scheme players open?  Did Ebron have in his person the same level of talent last year in Detroit than he does now?  He's the same player as he was last year who is having a better year than he is ever had, and he's doing it with a better offensive coach and probably a better QB than he has ever had.

Given those facts, how in the world can anybody use his stats this year to conclude how talented he is?

I'm not saying he isn't.  I'm questioning the statement that he is, and asking for more support before I can get there. Those two thoughts are not the same thing.

Amazing signing by Ballard.     All teams had a chance to get him.   Ballard got him on a cheap 2 year deal.   You're wrong,   the end

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Given those facts, how in the world can anybody use his stats this year compared to last year to conclude how talented he is?

I'm not saying he isn't.  I'm questioning the statement that he his, and asking for more support. Those two thoughts are not the same thing.

What I think you are saying is that Reich made Ebron good because of scheme. I believe he was always good( top 10 pick in the draft ) but he didn't perform to potential in Detroit because of scheme. Reich brought out his truepotential  and was a great signing by CB.

• Like 1

Just now, DougDew said:

Actually, that's all YOU need.  OTOH, I've got the ability to handle more complex data than that.

And you've exceeded your average sentence length by about two words.

I'm not sure you understand how football works.   12 tds in 11 games is awesome by any skill player.   Your posts may be longer,  but they lack basic football intelligence.   Much like your posts on marijuana.    This idiocy by you is worse than that debate.   You're on an island by yourself,  AGAIN.  You would think you would learn.   I guess not

• Like 1

I think Ebron is an amazing signing. 12 TD's in 11 Games and he has been Great in the RedZone. He can't do much more, 31 other teams had a chance to sign him but Ballard did and Ebron has been Great for us so that is all that counts. Regarding Jack, his injury sucks but I think we will manage as we are deep at TE. Just have to get the other TE's healthy.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

My goodness.  The "KISS" principle at it's finest.  

Right.  He does "slot" receiver work by lining up next to the OT.  But he's not a slot receiver.  He's not a wide receiver.  He's a receiver. 

And its why teams with guys like him have a guy (a slower guy and more of a blocker than him) next to the other OT in the "two TE" set. 

The teams with one TE set don't generally have receivers lined up next to the OT. 

That third receiver is lined up in the slot.

Its been the same concept we've had since Pollard and Dilger.  Simple.

BTW, Pollard was a pretty easy find.  Got him off the basketball court if IIRC.

31 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I call that efficiency.

21 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

What I think you are saying is that Reich made Ebron good because of scheme. I believe he was always good( top 10 pick in the draft ) but he didn't perform to potential in Detroit because of scheme. Reich brought out his truepotential  and was a great signing by CB.

That's possible.  He's a talented guy when in the right system performs up to his draft potential.  

But why is that considered something exceptional by Ballard and not described more as a whiff by Detroit?  He was a top 5 pick because, I assume, everybody in the profession saw the talent.

He landed in the type of offense he was meant for.  Why is that seen as an amazing defiance of gravity and not simply water seeking its own level?  

But I still contend that other guys not named Fleener could put up similar numbers in this offense from the same position/role.

If you want to use Ebron as material to talk about Ballard....which I think is the troll's underlying goal.....I would say that Ballard saw what everybody else saw and liberated him to the the offense he was suited for because we are running that offense.  I doubt that Ballard outfoxed anybody, like Pittsburgh or Baltimore wouldn't compete to sign him eventhough they probably saw the talent too.

44 minutes ago, DrLuck said:

Man you are giving Dougs a bad name (my first name). Your argument makes no sense. First off, to say it’s not fair to compare him to other tight ends only makes sense if no other tight ends went out and ran routes... which they do.. all the time. A lot of tight ends are basically match up nightmare creating receivers. This isn’t a knock or a bad thing, it’s a tremendously important and ubiquitous role of the modern day tight end. Then to say you shouldn’t compare him to receivers because cornerbacks cover them, bro... he also runs less routes per game, has other responsibilities to worry about, and is still catching TDS at a rate as good or better than every single stud receiver in this league. Also, if tight ends catching 12 TD passes is simply match up based, why don’t all tight ends have numbers like his? You are so wrong that I had to dig up my account and give up my lurking just to tell you how unbelievably unfair and ridiculous you are being. He is an amazing signing and having an absolutely amazing year. Good day.

@DougDew

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's possible.  He's a talented guy when in the right system performs up to his draft potential.  

But why is that considered something exceptional by Ballard and not described more as a whiff by Detroit?  He was a top 5 pick because, I assume, everybody in the profession saw the talent.

He landed in the type of offense he was meant for.  Why is that seen as an amazing defiance of gravity and not simply water seeking its own level?  

But I still contend that other guys not named Fleener could put up similar numbers in this offense from the same position/role.

But you can't point to a single one.   Again,   it was a great signing.   You're wrong

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

30 other teams in the profession obviously didn't see the talent or they would have went after hi. Ballard did. ?great signing and great foresight. Admit it.

43 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You make it easy.   (Only 4 words)