Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TE Jack Doyle expected to be placed on I.R.

MTC

1 minute ago, Alex22 said:

Couldn't resist....

On another note Mo Ali looks like a beast as a receiver and his blocking isn't that bad either.

So hopefully he gets healthy - I think he could be a star  

No he doesnt. One badass catch and a handful of other routine catches doesnt make him a beast. He also had a horrendous drop.  I want Swoope in there. 

For what it's worth, Ebron is #7 and Hewitt #9 for PFF's Blocking and Allowed Pressures ranking, while Doyle is #10. They don't have the volume of blocking snaps that Doyle has, but at least they've proven to be effective and capable when their number has been called.

1 minute ago, Calmack said:

No he doesnt. One badass catch and a handful of other routine catches doesnt make him a beast. He also had a horrendous drop.  I want Swoope in there. 

How many years has Swoope been here?   Not sure he has an edge really.  I think we could use Hewitt for his blocking though. 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

How many years has Swoope been here?   Not sure he has an edge really.  I think we could use Hewitt for his blocking though. 

He is annoyingly perpetually injured. But when he's healthy and playing he's always a bright spot imo. More than Cox

18 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

The team early in the season is a different team to the current one though....

Just look at the difference between Lucks first few games and what he is doing now 100+ passer rating 5 straight...

I think Doyle missing will be fine.. 

I read somewhere Doyle needed surgery and Luck didn't so Doyle's maybe more serious 

Agree...offense will be just fine. Hopefully Hewitt can get healthy...he is just as effective as a blocker (though he offers nothing in the passing game). 

I hope Doyle is ok though...always serious when internal organs are involved.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Superman said:

Rats. Our TE position has been decimated in recent weeks. And according to Doug, Ebron isn't even a TE, so we're really attached to another object by an incline plane wrapped helically around an axis...

If Ebron takes over for Doyle, whatever it was that Doyle was doing, maybe he won't have as much opportunity to run straight ahead into wide open space.  Is this rocket science?

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If Ebron takes over for Doyle, whatever it was that Doyle was doing, maybe he won't have as much opportunity to run straight ahead into wide open space.  Is this rocket science?

Apparently.

All TEs aren't used the same in every offense. Darren Sproles was still a RB, even though he was used differently than Mark Ingram. James White is still a RB even though he's used differently than Sony Michel.

Edit: Ebron took over for Doyle earlier this season. He had 36 catches and 4 TDs in those five games.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Only the kind that can run into wide open spaces.  The other kind requires more overall talent.

Jiminy Christmas...

Will you just give us one thread where we can throw shade at you behind your back without you giving us even more reasons to do so?

You're ruining our fun!  haha

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Those are crazy stats.  Hard to explain really.

Not really that crazy...it's mostly circumstantial. PHI, NE and HOU are the best teams they have faced since CIN...which they lost as well. And the NYJ game was just a bad loss...not sure there is much more to say about it.

Just now, Superman said:

Apparently.

All TEs aren't used the same in every offense. Darren Sproles was still a RB, even though he was used differently than Mark Ingram. James White is still a RB even though he's used differently than Sony Michel.

Sure.  I get it.  The NFL has limited buckets and number assignments and guys aren't great fits for whatever bucket they are placed in.  Some players are put into a bucket because there are a limited number of buckets.  Ebron is #85 so we can describe him the way in which makes the most sense, and I wouldn't confuse him with a RB.

I suspect Ebron is having too much success doing what he is doing so they'll ask another player to block more.  But I don't know if the Jax D will require even more blocking or more receiving

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Jiminy Christmas...

Will you just give us one thread where we can throw shade at you behind your back without you giving us even more reasons to do so?

You're ruining our fun!  haha

Stop quoting me and mentioning me, and I won't appear in these same type of threads. 

Geez, I can say the same thing only so many different ways.

But it seems like there is always somebody new who writes before they read.  

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Sure.  I get it.  The NFL has limited buckets and number assignments and guys aren't great fits for whatever bucket they are placed in.  Some players are put into a bucket because there are a limited number of buckets.  Ebron is #85 so we can describe him the way in which makes the most sense, and I wouldn't confuse him with a RB.

I suspect Ebron is having too much success doing what he is doing so they'll ask another player to block more.  But I don't know if the Jax D will require even more blocking or more receiving

Lmao so now hes a wr just cause of his jersey number?? Keep them coming dougie

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

giphy.gif

Why wouldn't they just do with Ebron what they did with him when Doyle was out? That was productive.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Superman said:

giphy.gif

Why wouldn't they just do with Ebron what they did with him when Doyle was out? That was productive.

Isn't that what I elluded to in the bolded?  He would do what he does and somebody else would more directly replace whatever Doyle does.  

41 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Lmao so now hes a wr just cause of his jersey number?? Keep them coming dougie

No, he's a RB just cause of his jersey number. 

If you're going to criticize, please follow the trend of thought.  I can't downshift far enough to make it understandable to you.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Isn't that what I elluded to in the bolded?  He would do what he does and somebody else would more directly replace whatever Doyle does.  

I can see how that's what you meant, but Ebron did more blocking when Doyle was out before. I assume he'll do more blocking now that Doyle is out again.

What's your definition of a TE? Just curious.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No, he's a RB just cause of his jersey number. 

If you're going to criticize, please follow the trend of thought.  I can't downshift far enough to make it understandable to you.

You clearly like to call him a WR and then go to bring up his number that's usually a wr number stop changing your story like always doug

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Wonder if it's the same type of kidney injury Luck had?

Having a 'procedure' implies it to be more than what Luck suffered.

1 hour ago, Alex22 said:

The team early in the season is a different team to the current one though....

Just look at the difference between Lucks first few games and what he is doing now 100+ passer rating 5 straight...

I think Doyle missing will be fine.. 

I read somewhere Doyle needed surgery and Luck didn't so Doyle's maybe more serious 

I only saw an (unspecified) procedure, but could well be surgical in nature.  And I agree that alone indicates it's a worse injury than Andrew went through.

OK, so here we are with this Ebron thing and hope it can be put to bed.  Let me summarize for the forum the events of the past few weeks:

Somebody said that Ebron was an amazing signing and backed that up by citing TE stats.

Over several argumentative posts that started by someone quoting a comment I made, I said I didn't think it was amazing because he's a receiver, not a TE, so comparing him with TE stats was not really the correct bucket of measurement.

Then without directly acknowledging my correctness, comments over the past few days have begun to lump him in with receiver stats in an effort to validate the previous opinion that he's amazing.

I then said that the stats of other receivers are created by going against actual CBs, not knowing for sure how much Ebron actually does.  So putting him into the receiver bucket of stats isn't a true comparison either.  The NFL, or PFF, doesn't really have a big universe peer group bucket to put him in.

Then compare these points to the 30, 000 foot level concepts about offense.

Myself, Superman, and some others have for years claimed the old offense struggled at times due to scheme simplicity.  And that someone like McDaniels...or Reich....would implement a scheme that by its nature got receivers more open.

So we have an offense that schemes receivers open more.  

We have a thread now that talks about possibly devoting a first round pick to a WR, with a bunch of comments saying that it isn't needed due to our scheme. 

Despite the improper and unclear bucket to put him in, the entire change of offense for the expressed purpose of scheming receivers open, comments still make their stubbornly boneheaded point by the same members swooping in and trying to make condescending comments to me over the coarse of a week in different threads.

We changed HCs and offensive scheme for the express purpose to get receivers open.  Detroit has a different scheme (that probably relies more on talent).  Ebron doesn't belong in the TE stat bucket because of the other roles that other TEs do, nor the WR bucket because of who is assigned coverage of other WRs.  So make your points with those facts in mind, and do so without quoting me in a condescending fashion, and maybe the forum will be less argumentative.