Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts run defense ranked #4 per PFF

Steamboat_Shaun

21 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

another stat that absolutely makes no sense. 

take these examples.

The Bears are 2nd in explosive runs and 32nd in Team Run-stuff defence, but due to one player or their top run defender, they are first. overall they are the best ran ked run defence.

then the saints are 3rd in explosive runs and 5th in team run-stuff defence, but their top-run player is 2,1% worse than the bears top run defender, and they are then the 7th best run defence...

hmmm.... again this makes no sense as the saints in a normal world would be better overall.

what am I missing?

• Like 1

Our run defense may look better on paper because teams can pass on us easy enough. Now I do think this years run defense is much much better than previous but we still have a bad pass defense so why would smart teams take the harder path moving the ball? Give me a balanced run/pass defense and I’ll believe the rank of them. 

Seems misleading. Haven’t really faced any elite backs. The best RB we faced was Mixon who had 95 on the ground. Michel put up 96 on us. And don’t give me “Crowell was coming off a 200 yard performance when he faced us” because he has been mediocre at best in every other game.

I’m not saying our run D is poor, but this stat is based off some weird metrics. Explosive runs allowed? Team run-defense stuff%? I’m looking at yards allowed and against who, and I see a different story.

• Like 1

Fact, i don't go by PFF much,...but there is a reason they are there.  i DO watch the games and agree.  Go look at INDY's YPC...this is why they are there.

Team                                YPC

New Orleans Saints       3.1   

Dallas Cowboys              3.5

Houston Texans             3.5

Indianapolis Colts          3.7

We are 4th in NFL in YPC given.  We also lead the NFL in tackle for loss.

4 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Not really that interesting.  Those type of stats r meaningless.  Why run when u got wide open  passing lanes  in the Colts D.  Wen they measure in the top 10 in both passing and run  D then I will take notice

Passing                                                                        Rushing

Jacksonville Jaguars                                     New Orleans Saints

Baltimore Ravens                                         Dallas Cowboys

Seattle Seahawks                                         Houston Texans

Green Bay Packers                                       Indianapolis Colts

Tennessee Titans                                         Buffalo Bills

Buffalo Bills                                                  Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Detroit Lions                                                Baltimore Ravens

Dallas Cowboys                                           Chicago Bears

Denver Broncos                                          Minnesota Vikings 

Arizona Cardinals                                     

By your standards, only Dallas Baltimore and Buffalo have defenses worth taking notice.  That seems a bit lofty there.

I think this is a rare occasion where our run defense is so good that teams don't run because they can't effectively on a consistent basis. But pass heavy. (our passing zone coverage is bad also and everyone knows it)  

No matter what the numbers say, I think the Colts' defense overall has been much better than I expected and with the sheer number of injuries and seeming lack of depth they have it has been nothing short of miraculous for Eberflus' first year.  I can't wait to see what he could do with more talent and better injury luck.

Good old Colts fans. When our stats are bad, the team is slated. When the stats are good, we blame the stats as being worthless.

Sure, I know the only real stat is Wins/Loses (we don't do ties, remember), but come on. 

When you are 1-5, take what you can get and go easy on the negatives. 

We are 1st in 3rd down conversions. Can we pick that to pieces?

9 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Good old Colts fans. When our stats are bad, the team is slated. When the stats are good, we blame the stats as being worthless.

Sure, I know the only real stat is Wins/Loses (we don't do ties, remember), but come on. 

When you are 1-5, take what you can get and go easy on the negatives. 

We are 1st in 3rd down conversions. Can we pick that to pieces?

We are 1st in 3rd downs because the other team feels sorry for us and spots us 4 3rd downs/game. 

Our o-line is good, but we should have traded down out of the 1st AND 2nd rounds to have 5 3rd round, and 7 4th round picks to better fill all our holes.

We should have spent 100 billion on all the F.A. people that were in the top 50 list.

If we had sweetened Josh McDaniels deal, he would have stayed and we wouldn't now have the worst yards per pass attempt in the NFL

Lucks arm is nowe a noodle and should have traded him & Brissett For a 5th and 7th round pick in 2029.

I'm just getting started........

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lawrence Owen said:

We are 1st in 3rd downs because the other team feels sorry for us and spots us 4 3rd downs/game. 

Our o-line is good, but we should have traded down out of the 1st AND 2nd rounds to have 5 3rd round, and 7 4th round picks to better fill all our holes.

We should have spent 100 billion on all the F.A. people that were in the top 50 list.

If we had sweetened Josh McDaniels deal, he would have stayed and we wouldn't now have the worst yards per pass attempt in the NFL

Lucks arm is nowe a noodle and should have traded him & Brissett For a 5th and 7th round pick in 2029.

Don't forget that Blue is the worst mascot in the history of sports....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Good thing you aren't running the team i guess.

12 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It is articles like this that make me take PFF with a huge grain of salt.  It is fine to look at their information as a small piece to a lager puzzle, but absolutely do not take PFF as gospel.

13 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

another stat that absolutely makes no sense. 

take these examples.

The Bears are 2nd in explosive runs and 32nd in Team Run-stuff defence, but due to one player or their top run defender, they are first. overall they are the best ran ked run defence.

then the saints are 3rd in explosive runs and 5th in team run-stuff defence, but their top-run player is 2,1% worse than the bears top run defender, and they are then the 7th best run defence...

hmmm.... again this makes no sense as the saints in a normal world would be better overall.

what am I missing?

I don't think Bears are #1 bc of their top run defender/one player nor the Saints are lower just because their top run D isn't as good as the Bears. Bears explosive (5.1%) and run D stuff (13.1%) add up to 18.2%, leaving out over 80% of run D plays and the Bears probably do a pretty good job at limiting YPC on those runs. They seem to try to limit explosive runs, at the risk of not being able to stuff runs for a loss. I guess their D isn't allowed to gamble a lot and have strict assignments on every play.

I guess Saints do very good job on getting TFL's and not giving up big plays on the run game but then on other running plays they give up relatively more YPC than other top run D teams.