Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The 3 year plan

cdgacoltsfan

So sick of hearing about the 3 year plan. The Bills and Browns have been on the 3 year plan for 20 years. We have the money , the franchise QB, and enough talent ( when healthy) to win now with an aquisition or two..now. Not in 2020. The 3 year plan is a well thought up concept of new GM's to give themselves 3 years or more of job security.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

So sick of hearing about the 3 year plan. The Bills and Browns have been on the 3 year plan for 20 years. We have the money , the franchise QB, and enough talent ( when healthy) to win now with an aquisition or two..now. Not in 2020. The 3 year plan is a well thought up concept of new GM's to give themselves 3 years or more of job security.

lmao

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

What if Ballard wasn’t 100% sure Luck would be himself again.  Do you go Grigson and over spend on FA not knowing if your franchise QB would be the same? Patients, support this franchise because we will be fine. 

We we need to watch and see if this team improves through the course of the season. Sit back, drink a few and just watch this team grow. They will be fine because Luck is fine. 

• Like 1

Just some food for thought on the FAs next season that need to be resigned or replaced. A lot of these guys should be replaced, but that will eat some cap space and makes the three year plan look challenging IMO. 

Ryan Grant

Adam Vinatieri

Matt Slauson

Margus Hunt

Al Woods

Pierre Desir

Robert Turbin

Ryan Hewitt

Mike Mitchell

Najee Goode

J'Marcus Webb

Clayton Geathers

Mark Glowinski

Corey Moore

Chris Milton

Luke Rhodes

Jihad Ward

Evan Boehm

Ronald Martin

Denzell Good

Arthur Maulet

Erik Swoope

Al-Quadin Muhammad

Chester Rogers

Ross Travis

Matthias Farley

Zach Pascal

Brad Kaaya

Marcus Johnson

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Yeah, just like when YOU get a new job you have about 90 days to acclimate yourself and perform to standard.

GM's are given 3 years because that is the amount of time it SHOULD take to rebuild a team from the ground up.

Try using the common sense approach instead of emotional and you'll find you probably won't actually press enter to a post like this once you've typed it and reread it....

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Just some food for thought on the FAs next season that need to be resigned or replaced. A lot of these guys should be replaced, but that will eat some cap space and makes the three year plan look challenging IMO. 

Ryan Grant

Adam Vinatieri

Matt Slauson

Margus Hunt

Al Woods

Pierre Desir

Robert Turbin

Ryan Hewitt

Mike Mitchell

Najee Goode

J'Marcus Webb

Clayton Geathers

Mark Glowinski

Corey Moore

Chris Milton

Luke Rhodes

Jihad Ward

Evan Boehm

Ronald Martin

Denzell Good

Arthur Maulet

Erik Swoope

Al-Quadin Muhammad

Chester Rogers

Ross Travis

Matthias Farley

Zach Pascal

Brad Kaaya

Marcus Johnson

That is actually a pretty horrible list. 

Food for thought for those who thought lists like Erik Walden, Ricky Jean Francois, Cory Redding, Greg Toler, Donnie Avery, Winston Justice, and Samson Satele was a horrible list.

• Like 1

Just now, cdgacoltsfan said:

How many teams build from the ground up with a frachuse QB in place and lots if money to spend? It's a pass happy league...shouldnt take 3 or 4 years to rebuild. We will be looking for another QB by the time we "rebuild"

Then jump on someone else's bandwagon - just don't come flocking back like A LOT of fans did in 1998/99!

• Like 1

Just now, DougDew said:

That is actually a pretty horrible list. 

Food for thought for those who thought lists like Erik Walden, Ricky Jean Francois, Cory Redding, Winston Justice, Greg Toler, Donnie Avery and Samson Setele was a horrible list.

I agree, but some you have to retain some. A lot you need to acquire better football players. This is still a how far can Luck take them team.

Just now, Aluckiswolverine said:

Hate to break it to you but this is a 5 year plan. 

It very well could be with an aging Luck.

6 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I agree, but some you have to retain some. A lot you need to acquire better football players. This is still a how far can Luck take them team.

It very well could be with an aging Luck.

In addition to adding quality to the list you mentioned,  we will also have to replace a LT and WR#1 reasonably soon.  That extends the rebuild time and puts Luck's prime in question, IMO.

27 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Ryan Grant

Adam Vinatieri

Matt Slauson

Margus Hunt

Al Woods

Pierre Desir

Robert Turbin

Ryan Hewitt

Mike Mitchell

Najee Goode

J'Marcus Webb

Clayton Geathers

Mark Glowinski

Corey Moore

Chris Milton

Luke Rhodes

Jihad Ward

Evan Boehm

Ronald Martin

Denzell Good

Arthur Maulet

Erik Swoope

Al-Quadin Muhammad

Chester Rogers

Ross Travis

Matthias Farley

Zach Pascal

Brad Kaaya

Marcus Johnson

Like 6 ppl on this list deserve to be brought back, if that

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I neither agree or disagree with you, but that's like half the roster practically. So, basically we are in rebuild mode for a couple more seasons IMO. The three year plan is to optimistic to say the least. 

I am not following the doom and gloom. This team is not being blown out. we could easily be 5-1.  The problem is we need a FEW more players so we can turn around these close losses into wins.  We are not too far behind the teams in our division and the all three have some difficult money problems coming up.  We have to upgrade the WR Core, pass rush and back end and we should be able to complete with almost anyone.  This team is young and entertaining to watch. They play hard. You do not improve by having old free agents take the spots of your younger players. Let them grow and get better. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Ryan Grant

Adam Vinatieri

Matt Slauson

Margus Hunt

Al Woods

Pierre Desir

Robert Turbin

Ryan Hewitt

Mike Mitchell

Najee Goode

J'Marcus Webb

Clayton Geathers

Mark Glowinski

Corey Moore

Chris Milton

Luke Rhodes

Jihad Ward

Evan Boehm

Ronald Martin

Denzell Good

Arthur Maulet

Erik Swoope

Al-Quadin Muhammad

Chester Rogers

Ross Travis

Matthias Farley

Zach Pascal

Brad Kaaya

Marcus Johnson

wow  that is a lot but  I see several that wnt be back

24 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Not at all.    We need a number 2 wr.  A few more play makers on d and a right tackle.   

And we will find a #2 this next offseason. Whether that is in FA, the draft, or in Deon Cain, we will find one this next season. 

Right tackle will be addressed, and next year's draft is going to be loaded with defensive playmakers. At this rate of losing, we will be in prime position to acquire more picks (three top 50 picks- possibly top 40 already) and draft some serious talent on defense. 

I am seeing all i need to see to be content with the plan going forward. A young defense that is exceeding expectations and being put in bad spots because of the offense. An offensive line that is keeping our qb upright and even untouched. Our franchise qb that is proving everyone wrong. A lot of young talent and speed on offense. A coaching staff that is innovative and hungry. 

We will obviously address all of this again in 11 weeks, but right now, things aren't even remotely close to being as bad as the media and folks on this forum are making it out to be.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, threeflight said:

And btw....Chubb with 3 sacks so far today.....THOSE are gamechangers.

Nelson and Hooker?  Nice players, but due to their positions.....not going to win you games by themselves.

FAIL:  CB.

Yeah,   ed reed never had game winning performances in his career

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

That is what i thought.  Not exactly "core" type players on that list.  You are right, about 6 i'd try to keep. 

I'd be ok with Ballard spending some of that FA money on a #1 CB, WR, or OT.   If you are going to "over-spend" , make the gamble on blue-chip , building block types.  otherwise, build thru draft and keep(pay) the players you have developed.

so far, Ballard has kind of done this.  I am glad he doesnt sign BIG contracts recklessly.  We will be better for it in the long  run.

30 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Cannot honestly believe people are advocating a 5 year rebuild with Luck already hitting 30.  

Cmon.

Building a team is tough, mainly because you have to hit at a high rate through the draft, and the FAs that you bring in have to come in and deliver right away.

One thing that is a concern for me is that Ballard learned from his time with the Bears, where his QBs were: Jim Miller, Rex Grossman, Kyle Orton, and Jay Cutler. Ballard learned that the key to winning wasn't the QB position, it was the defense.

Then during his time at KC, his QB was Alex Smith. He has never worked with a QB like Luck. All of his previous QBs required him to build a complete team. This is both good and bad. I think he is of the mindset that he needs to build a complete team for Luck, which is correct. BUT, with a QB like Luck, you have to focus on not wasting his talent.

Luck cannot wait forever for Ballard to build a complete team. Luck is ready to win now. Spend the money, give Luck some play makers, and let him lead. The team can be built while Luck leads the Colts to wins. Instead, we have Rogers, Pascal, Grant, M. Johnson as receivers. Give me a break!

• Like 1

Trading for Amari Cooper and add Bryant at least gives you a chance to win.  

Giving a second for Cooper is a steal...I promise you that you won't find a better wr in the draft than Cooper in the second round.  And letting Dez play out the season as a third wr to see what he has left is a no lose situation.

If I am Ballard I would make those moves tomorrow.

He won't.

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Giving a second for Cooper is a steal...I promise you that you won't find a better wr in the draft than Cooper in the second round.  And letting Dez play out the season as a third wr to see what he has left is a no lose situation.

He won't.

You're right he won't.  He might fool us all and trade TY.  He loves accumulating picks.  He just might be a seller instead of a buyer right now. 

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

Ryan Grant

Adam Vinatieri

Matt Slauson

Margus Hunt

Al Woods

Pierre Desir

Robert Turbin

Ryan Hewitt

Mike Mitchell

Najee Goode

J'Marcus Webb

Clayton Geathers

Mark Glowinski

Corey Moore

Chris Milton

Luke Rhodes

Jihad Ward

Evan Boehm

Ronald Martin

Denzell Good

Arthur Maulet

Erik Swoope

Al-Quadin Muhammad

Chester Rogers

Ross Travis

Matthias Farley

Zach Pascal

Brad Kaaya

Marcus Johnson

Bunch of bums for the most part

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

Ryan Grant

Adam Vinatieri

Matt Slauson

Margus Hunt

Al Woods

Pierre Desir

Robert Turbin

Ryan Hewitt

Mike Mitchell

Najee Goode

J'Marcus Webb

Clayton Geathers

Mark Glowinski

Corey Moore

Chris Milton

Luke Rhodes

Jihad Ward

Evan Boehm

Ronald Martin

Denzell Good

Arthur Maulet

Erik Swoope

Al-Quadin Muhammad

Chester Rogers

Ross Travis

Matthias Farley

Zach Pascal

Brad Kaaya

Marcus Johnson

Bunch of bums for the most part

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I think you are fairly accurate to about 6 players on this list being part of this team beyond 2019.
A few more will compete for spots next season. JMO.
So it was ridiculous to have any expectation this team would be 8-8.

23 minutes ago, threeflight said:

He won't.

What an ugly Meltdown. 

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I think you are fairly accurate to about 6 players on this list being part of this team beyond 2019.
A few more will compete for spots next season. JMO.
So it was ridiculous to have any expectation this team would be 8-8.

I have never understood NFL Gm's and their fascination with draft picks.  It is SO hit and miss in the NFL.  How many picks ever make the team longer than a year?  Maybe half?

How many go on to be very good to super star?  Maybe one out of 15?

If I am a GM and I can get a talent like Cooper for a second?  I make that trade 100 x out of 100.  You never know what a second round pick will be.  

We know what Cooper is.

41 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yeah,   ed reed never had game winning performances in his career

reed was a more complete player. he would line in up different places and was a good hitter and tackler, along with being one of the best ever at playing the deep passes

hooker is a good player and can be exciting to watch, but his play style makes it hard for him to impact every game.  hes usually solid in coverage, but teams dont even need to test him to beat us 

I for one do not give CBall a pass on his first year. I also dont think we are as terrible as our current 1-5 team looks. Hate to blame injuries but dam, it is quite a list. Imo, next off season is paramount, with the picks, cash money, and some solid pieces already here, he needs to hit a grand slam and get us off his back. 4-5 years is unacceptable. 

32 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

reed was a more complete player. he would line in up different places and was a good hitter and tackler, along with being one of the best ever at playing the deep passes

hooker is a good player and can be exciting to watch, but his play style makes it hard for him to impact every game.  hes usually solid in coverage, but teams dont even need to test him to beat us 

Reed wasn't always what you remember him being. Especially ten games into his career. 

It's not Hooker's fault we can't cover underneath. He's doing his job, it's the rest of the pass defense that's leaky. 

30 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I have never understood NFL Gm's and their fascination with draft picks.  It is SO hit and miss in the NFL.  How many picks ever make the team longer than a year?  Maybe half?

If I am a GM and I can get a talent like Cooper for a second?  I make that trade 100 x out of 100.  You never know what a second round pick will be.  

We know what Cooper is.

I think i like how loaded the KC roster is and have this good vibe that Ballard can do that for us.
He was a big part of that ya know. So no thanks adding a guy that probably at best help us win a game still this season, and burn $14M next season on our way to 8-8. And then be a FA. 
Just when i expect to be getting really good in 2020. All that cash, a high draft pick gambled and poof gone. Risky.
 Seems goofy. JMO of course. But if CB likes him, go for it.

37 minutes ago, threeflight said:

We know what Cooper is.

And on the other end, people overrate players from other teams. I like Cooper and would add him to the Colts for a reasonable draft pick, but he's a limited receiver with spotty production who drops too many passes, and he's due $14m in 2019.  He's not a transcendent player who will completely change the complexion of the team.

Like I said, this is a player I'd actually like to see Ballard pursue, but this whole idea that trading draft picks for proven vets is a good way to build a roster is based on a flawed premise. And it's often influenced by an inflated view of veteran players from other teams. 

• Like 1