Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Need an Elusive Running Back Soon

pgt_rob

I know that in the past couple seasons we have drafted a few higher round running backs. They aren't terrible running backs by any means. Mack showed promise last year by breaking off a few long runs each game. Wilkins has pounded the rock in tough games this season and Hines has actually showed us that he's a unique gadget type player. We can use him as a receiver and it shows. However, I think the time has come to finally nail the running back pick. I'm not saying spend a 1st rounder on one but I'd prefer we pay up for one in the off season. 

Next season's free agent class is loaded at running back and I hope Ballard takes into consideration that we need an great running back. This team doesn't need an Adrian Peterson or anything. But a good solid running back that can consistently keep the defenses on their toes and respect the run.  We can't keep throwing the football this many times per game and not run the ball. We're going to keep losing games against tougher opponents doing that. 

Here's a list of some future free agent running backs:

David Johnson - Could be franchise tagged.

Tevin Coleman - Devonta Freeman got  a big contract which could mean Coleman is out.

Jay Ajayi - Has the knee history but was a pro bowler in 2016. Reich has some experience with him.

Le'Veon Bell - Looking for a large contract and Steelers may end up giving him one if nobody bites on a trade. OR Steelers may go the younger route.

Spencer Ware - Injury history and Kareem Hunt has overtaken his running back duties. Averages 4.6 yards per carry in career numbers.

Mark Ingram - Meh, not too excited about him.

Marshawn Lynch - Old and highly doubtful but could be a good signing for a year or two.

What do you all think?

13 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

I know that in the past couple seasons we have drafted a few higher round running backs. They aren't terrible running backs by any means.

Sorry, but 4, 5, and 6 rd picks are not high. Can good RBs be found in the mid to late rds? Absolutely they can! Other than Bell, I'm not too excited about the FA class. Would love to see the Colts use a 2nd rounder if a RB is there.

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

Sorry, but 4, 5, and 6 rd picks are not high. Can good RBs be found in the mid to late rds? Absolutely they can! Other than Bell, I'm not too excited about the FA class. Would love to see the Colts use a 2nd rounder if a RB is there.

Sorry, that was my mistake. Did not mean to refer to them as high round picks. I mean high rounders, like 3rd round, 4th round, and on. My bad!

• Like 1

ive been largely against trading for Bell, but Im really warming up to the idea of doing just that.

1 minute ago, CaptainColt12 said:

We have barely seen mack and what he can do, he could be amazing or he can be a dudd. You shouldn't look at other guys when we have a starter that has run the ball 10 times. Give Mack this year to see what he can do and we'll see if we need to move on or keep him.

I'd love to give him this year, but the dude cant seem to find the field

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

We have barely seen mack and what he can do, he could be amazing or he can be a dudd. You shouldn't look at other guys when we have a starter that has run the ball 10 times. Give Mack this year to see what he can do and we'll see if we need to move on or keep him.

Oh yeah, I'm for that for sure. I don't think we make any running back moves this season (signing or trade). But Free Agency for next year I have a suspicion that we make a move if Mack and crew doesn't show something. I do like Mack, but it's not a great look for him when he's missing playing time. It's the way of the beast sometimes.

RB class isn’t that great this upcoming draft.  Only RBs I like are Harris from Alabama and Anderson from Oklahoma LJ Scott if he drops weight maybe.  2020 will have AJ Dillon and Jonathan Taylor

The Colts need a RB that can do it all instead of these mid round RBs that are only good at one thing. Hines is the receiver, Mack is the speedster for outside runs, Turbin is the short yardage guy, and Wilkins is the in between the tackles guy for short gains. It makes what the Colts are doing easy to read based on who’s in the backfield.

Hines has earned his keep. I think you take Anderson and maybe keep him, Hines, and Wilkins and Mack. If Mack can’t stay healthy though, move on.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

RB class isn’t that great this upcoming draft.  Only RBs I like are Harris from Alabama and Anderson from Oklahoma LJ Scott if he drops weight maybe.  2020 will have AJ Dillon and Jonathan Taylor

The Colts need a RB that can do it all instead of these mid round RBs that are only good at one thing. Hines is the receiver, Mack is the speedster for outside runs, Turbin is the short yardage guy, and Wilkins is the in between the tackles guy for short gains. It makes what the Colts are doing easy to read based on who’s in the backfield.

Hines has earned his keep. I think you take Anderson and maybe keep him, Hines, and Wilkins and Mack. If Mack can’t stay healthy though, move on.

You hit the nail on the head here. Good post!

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

I know that in the past couple seasons we have drafted a few higher round running backs. They aren't terrible running backs by any means. Mack showed promise last year by breaking off a few long runs each game. Wilkins has pounded the rock in tough games this season and Hines has actually showed us that he's a unique gadget type player. We can use him as a receiver and it shows. However, I think the time has come to finally nail the running back pick. I'm not saying spend a 1st rounder on one but I'd prefer we pay up for one in the off season. 

Next season's free agent class is loaded at running back and I hope Ballard takes into consideration that we need an great running back. This team doesn't need an Adrian Peterson or anything. But a good solid running back that can consistently keep the defenses on their toes and respect the run.  We can't keep throwing the football this many times per game and not run the ball. We're going to keep losing games against tougher opponents doing that. 

Here's a list of some future free agent running backs:

David Johnson - Could be franchise tagged.

Tevin Coleman - Devonta Freeman got  a big contract which could mean Coleman is out.

Jay Ajayi - Has the knee history but was a pro bowler in 2016. Reich has some experience with him.

Le'Veon Bell - Looking for a large contract and Steelers may end up giving him one if nobody bites on a trade. OR Steelers may go the younger route.

Spencer Ware - Injury history and Kareem Hunt has overtaken his running back duties. Averages 4.6 yards per carry in career numbers.

Mark Ingram - Meh, not too excited about him.

Marshawn Lynch - Old and highly doubtful but could be a good signing for a year or two.

What do you all think?

David Johnson signed a huge deal to stay in Arizona.

Coleman isn't going anywhere. They would get rid of Freeman due to his injuries.

Jay Ajayi is injury prone and so is Spencer Ware.

Marshawn is a beast but he is not the same player he once was. I'll pass on him.

Le'veon bell makes the most sense for us. He's all purpose and he's in his prime. Pair him with Luck and we could do damage. I'd give a 2nd rounder for him in a heartbeat. 

Mark Ingram is between the tackle back but not the type we need.

Just my opinion

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think you explained it better than what I did @Defjamz26. We have running backs that all seem to have their own personal specialty but none that can do it all. We're being too easy to read for sure. We shouldn't be putting that kind of situation on Luck for every game. 

• Like 2

If we had an RB that could do it all, then opposing defenses would do their best to shut him down, then we're back to relying on our passing game.  I like having more weapons that can do different things and keep defenses off balance.  Our 4 RBs, when healthy, can cause problems for defenses, because they can't key on one player, IMO.

BELL!! We haven't given Luck a premier RB sense he's been in the league. Give him Bell and he wouldn't have to throw 60 times a game or take quite the pounding game after game. If Ballard doesn't get us a quality RB and Tackle soon we may never see a Lombardi with Luck at the helm. Luck is elite and deserves better, the amount of throws and shots he has to take game after game isn't fair for any QB.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Funny thing.  Belicheck used a 1st rounder on Sony Michel last year.  The only FA that makes sense is Bell.  He should trade for him this year and solve our RB issue once and for all.  But he won't.   Why should he try to save a little wear and tear on Luck this year?  Doesn't make sense.  Next year that's the plan.  

6 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

If we had an RB that could do it all, then opposing defenses would do their best to shut him down, then we're back to relying on our passing game.  I like having more weapons that can do different things and keep defenses off balance.  Our 4 RBs, when healthy, can cause problems for defenses, because they can't key on one player, IMO.

If we have elite talent at running back it would help our passing game. They would try to shut down our run game but catch them off guard with the pass. Which in turn pushes defenses back on their toes to watch for the pass. See how that works? haha. It keeps them guessing. Right now, they know our only weapon is the pass and our running backs aren't anything to worry about.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

You wouldn’t be able to key in on one player though. Rodney Anderson for example is a good receiver and runner. You line him up in the backfield it could be s run inside, outside, or he could be open in the flat. But you would also sprinkle in your other backs to. Hey Hines out in space, Mack to the outside, etc...Basically the Colts have 3 young complimentary backs. You add in a true do it all RB and everything magically opens up.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, IinD said:

I would totally understand a second round pick going to RB. 

I think a good solid RB (which Luck has never had) puts the Colts offense on a different level. Last nights game, showed if there were any doubt about Luck, he is an elite QB. A top RB makes them harder to game plan against. 

• Like 4

I would be alright with throwing some cash at Le'Veon Bell next season. He's not going to be cheap but Irsay has plenty of spending money sitting around getting moldy. Nobody likes over paying, but for us it would be worth it because we need to find elite talent at RB sooner rather than later. It's not fair to Luck and would greatly alleviate some strain on our offense. Help set up the pass, help run out the clock, keep the defense on their toes and burn them down a bit more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If they want to get serious they will at least attempt to bring in Bell.  Gore was by far the best back this team had in years.  The guy almost had 3 thousand yards seasons in a row behind a weak OL.  

Bell would be great for this team.  I think you still have to work on the WR core and tackle positions.  That being said Bell probably won’t be targeted unless Ballard feels like they will be heavy playoff competitors.  

4 hours ago, CaptainColt12 said:

It seems like Mack is made from glass... I am not sure how many games he has left in his frail body. Lol 

• Like 1

I know GM has decided to build up the O- Line. But 2019 draft the Colts need to draft Wide Receiver in first round and a Running Back in the second. Mack is good, but his availability is horrible, This build through the draft has me looking at mock drafts already five games into this season. I hope the Colts can turn it around this season. But more and more this is starting to look like a 4 to 5 year rebuild 

Until we have a healthy TY and and complimentary WR that can stretch the field on occasion, our running game will struggle. Yes, a more dynamic RB will help...and I do think we make a selection in the first 3 rounds of the next draft, maybe even the 2nd. 

When you consider the strength of a well executed running play:

RB

WR

TE

Oline blocking

TE/WR blocking

play calling

ETC...

....and factor in film on our tendencies, in game tendencies, ETC...it is IMO, our strength at WR that is holding back much of what already exists. 

On 10/5/2018 at 7:53 AM, Luck 4 president said:

We need Bell or we need to spend a 1st or 2nd on a RB. We also need an early WR and OT. Wouldn’t mind if our first 3 picks went to those positions

I think youre going going to be hugely disappointed.    I don’t see the Colts using a 1, 2, or a 3 on a RB or a WR in the 2019 draft.

And I don’t see Ballard dropping huge money on LeVeon Bell.    I could be wrong on this one since Ballard would not have to give up a draft pick.   But I’m skeptical that CB spends big coin on a RB,  any back,  this year.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think youre going going to be hugely disappointed.    I don’t see the Colts using a 1, 2, or a 3 on a RB or a WR in the 2019 draft.

And I don’t see Ballard dropping huge money on LeVeon Bell.    I could be wrong on this one since Ballard would not have to give up a draft pick.   But I’m skeptical that CB spends big coin on a RB,  any back,  this year.

I will be disappointed. Everyone always complains about us not having a running game, and the reason is because we never spend a high draft pick on a good RB (and no Trent Richardson doesn't count). Until we spend big money or a high draft pick, we wont fix our running game with a committee of below average backs. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

I will be disappointed. Everyone always complains about us not having a running game, and the reason is because we never spend a high draft pick on a good RB (and no Trent Richardson doesn't count). Until we spend big money or a high draft pick, we wont fix our running game with a committee of below average backs. 

I think the problem with the running game is mostly the OL,  not the RB's.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

I'd rather spend money and high draft picks to build a good OL that way we could put anyone back there.

We’ve already done that. Castonzo, Nelson, Kelly, and Smith (once he gets to start at RG) are all high picks. RT is the only spot we haven’t spent a high pick on. Unless you want to count Clark who was a 3rd rounder.

Ballard is focusing on building the lines.  He has preached that and I think that is Andy Ried's philosophy.  As great as Mahones is.....did u watch them against the Jags? He had all day on numerous plays.  I still think he will go D on 2   of his first 3 picks next year.  Like D line and another Linebacker.   I just don't think he places  lot of value on recievers and backs.  Build your D and O lines and everybody looks better. I actually think D tackle will b his first pick.  I hate to say it but I also think  he is kind of mirroring  the Pat. U have a great qb and u can  sprinkle in recievers and backs as long as your  O line is sturdy.  It's a quick release offence, we don't need Jones and Beckham.  Plus those guys ask for stupid money.