Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where does Robert Turbin fit upon return?

Lef

Will he continue to be just a very short yardage guy or will he see more carries than in the previous years?  I had thought there were comments during the off season indicating his role would be expanded from previous roles.

Regardless, will be a crowded backfield, each with a complimentary style to one another. 

Love Turbin, he is vastly underrated.  I think he is more than just a short yardage back.  He excels at short yardage, but he is also a better than average backup.  I think Wilkins is going to have to wait his turn.  If Mack can't stay healthy, Turbin and Wilkins are both great plan nonsense.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lef said:

Will he continue to be just a very short yardage guy or will he see more carries than in the previous years?  I had thought there were comments during the off season indicating his role would be expanded from previous roles.

Regardless, will be a crowded backfield, each with a complimentary style to one another. 

OMG we have been missing him in short yardage situations. Michael will be cut and he will slot back in perfectly. 

• Like 1

Turbin was doing much more for han just short yardage.

The guy is a hammer but , as we have seen, has moves and can catch.  I am anxious to see how Turbin does behind our middle additions of Nelson and Slausen.  

I feel much better trying to close out a lead in the 4th running Turbin than Mack, Hines, or Wilkens.  Just my feeling.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

This makes the most sense when you look at the skills of all backs.  Or could you see a two back set with him as a blocker option / FB ?

We don't really have a full back.   Maybe Hewitt or a lineman.   I doubt frank will rule anything out.   I'm positive he knows we need to be able to convert on 3rd and short without luck having to always bail us out 

38 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

This makes the most sense when you look at the skills of all backs.  Or could you see a two back set with him as a blocker option / FB ?

Ive been saying we need some two back sets. We can always motion one out if we get the right defense. Especially if the run game is rolling it could open up a good play action play. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

It depends upon Mack’s health but i think he will ease into a more dominant role, but will still be a backfield by committees.

Agree, imo Mack could be the one to miss the snaps. Hines is flashing plenty of promise and Reich is using the kid a lot. Even red zone. Wilkins is healthy and runs hard. Turbin is our bruiser.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I would think short yardage and goal line would be his primary area.

Wilkins, Hines and Mack should not lose too many carries for Turbin.

And to be clear, I like Turbin.   Glad we have him.    But his ceiling is not as high as our kids.   And the kids have to play! 

I don’t think he has a higher ceiling, but he certainly has a higher floor. I remember him making some clutch 3rd down conversions, not even in short yardage. He’s elusive for his size. I personally would prefer him as our primary back with Mack being injured rn

• Like 2

I agree with those who see more of a role for Turbin than short yardage and goal line. He is a strong receiver; solid blocker; and a much more capable runner than most people on this board will give credit. I like Mack but he's fragile; look for Wilkins and Turbin to be the horses by mid season with Hines the scat back and Mack sliding down the depth chart for the number of times he's on the weekly injured list. JMO, of course. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I think people are vastly underestimating Turbin and have a bit of amnesia regarding how effective Turbin was running, catching, and pass protecting before his injury last year.

He runs a 4.44 40 and averaged over 6 YPC prior to getting hurt last year.  And Turbin did that behind an abysmal offensive line.

I'm personally very excited to see what Turbin will be able to do with a healthy Kelly, Nelson, and hopefully, AC.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The colts are first in the league for both the total number of 3rd down conversions made (20), and the third down percentage (61%). We are almost 10% better than second place Tampa (52%). 
Sure, very small sample and two decent games, but last year we converted only 38% on 3rd. The Falcons led this stat last year with 45%. 

Honestly he's probably our best all around back right now. Not the one with most explosive or potential but best overall grind the ball skill set. This is why I also liked Wilkins over Mack and others also. It's about moving forward not dancing around in the backfield till a hole opens. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Goal line situations. We’re on a youth movement. He’s clearly not our future so we need to give the young guys as many reps as possible hence why there were questionable cuts like Simon 

We are looking to get reps for younger guys if they earn the spot. Basham has not been on the field much because he has not earned anything. Turay is getting a few snaps but not some huge amount. Sheard, Hunt, and Woods have played a lot of snaps and none of them are apart of this youth movement. They play whoever earns the spot. They do not care about age (Slauson is 2nd oldest on the roster and starts over Smith). When Turbin is back, if he earns a spot they will play him. They have packages for players and I see every RB getting touches.

• Like 1

I think he's the lead back once he comes back. 

Mack is hurt an awful lot, and not very good at protection. Wilkins is a good runner, and is getting better. Hines isn't great between the tackles, but hopefully get better at that. 

Turbin would be a welcome sight. He's good on the goaline, between the tackles, catching, and protecting. He definitely our most complete back. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Hoose said:

I agree with those who see more of a role for Turbin than short yardage and goal line. He is a strong receiver; solid blocker; and a much more capable runner than most people on this board will give credit. I like Mack but he's fragile; look for Wilkins and Turbin to be the horses by mid season with Hines the scat back and Mack sliding down the depth chart for the number of times he's on the weekly injured list. JMO, of course. 

i concur

Turbin is our best back in pass pro by a wide margin, so I think he gets a little more than just short yardage/goal line carries. Plus I'm not convinced Mack is all that heathy, even before he got re-injured he didn't look 100%. But hopefully he's ready to go by the time Turbin gets back.

Wilkins should still get the most reps I think, if he keeps it up. But it'll be interesting to see how Reich uses them once Turbin's back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I think he's the lead back once he comes back. 

Mack is hurt an awful lot, and not very good at protection. Wilkins is a good runner, and is getting better. Hines isn't great between the tackles, but hopefully get better at that. 

Turbin would be a welcome sight. He's good on the goaline, between the tackles, catching, and protecting. He definitely our most complete back. 

I'll need to pay more attention to the bolded, but I don't get that impression.  When I have noticed him running, I think he runs hard between the tackles, and gets yards.  He did score 1 touchdown last week on a great run between the tackles.

34 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I'll need to pay more attention to the bolded, but I don't get that impression.  When I have noticed him running, I think he runs hard between the tackles, and gets yards.  He did score 1 touchdown last week on a great run between the tackles.

Yeah most of the time it's 2-3 yards when he's between the tackles. He's not breaking many runs after contact that's for sure. 

I will give him props on that spin move for the TD. That was a great run. 

He seems like Mack to me in that he's much better in open space than between the tackles. I 'd like to see them both catch more passes, or run outside the tackles.