Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone else thinks Luck is actually throwing a better ball with more velocity?

GusFring

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.

Especially not more velocity.

Not even close.

Find me highlights of his intermediate passes looking like they looked vs SF and Cincy. I'm someone that use to question his arm strength, but his velocity definitely looked improved. Those gns were indoors, so we'll see when he goes outside. 

• Like 1

OP is right actually. He is putting his body more into his throws. Instead of just his arm. Luck in the past often had a slower release of the ball. Even on slants or deep route. His arm looked slower to me in the past. I know it’s the all accredited to the new offense to some people’s eyes. However to me     his passes look a lot better. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, a06cc said:

OP is right actually. He is putting his body more into his throws. Instead of just his arm. Luck in the past often had a slower release of the ball. Even on slants or deep route. His arm looked slower to me in the past. I know it’s the all accredited to the new offense to some people’s eyes. However to me     his passes look a lot better. 

That I definitely noticed as well (more body into his throws). I started to notice on one early pass where when he threw it, he let it go like a baseball, I could clearly see his hand kind of twist like a pitching elbow when he threw it. 

We obviously don't know his full arm strength, but his motion definitely seemed more fluid, to me at least.

1 minute ago, CanuckColt said:

Luck may be throwing with better accuracy but the football still takes a long time to get to the receiver...way more time than before Andrew got hurt.

By comparison, Brissett is throwing fastballs...Andrew is playing slow pitch.

I'm guessing you listen to the games

• Like 2

His form has definitely tightened up. That's the best thing to come out of all this whole injury, reworking his form from the ground up as he put it himself. The one thing I wasn't completely enamored with Luck pre-injury, coming into the league, was that his release wasn't too quick, even slow. But now the ball's getting out a lot faster than it did pre-injury.

As fir his velocity, I think it looks better and better each outing, but I also think it has some ways to go. But I do think it'll get there with each passing week.

• Like 1

Maybe because he has decreased arm strength he's putting more weight and better throwing motion into his passes to make up for it??

I don't know because I haven't seen colts games/highlights yet. So I guess I'll have to go by what is said here.

Curious tho, has Luck thrown Deep passes much? That should be a good indicator of his arm strength.

I dont think anyone on here is a qualified QB coach that can say he is or he isnt. He looks fine to me. Way more accurate on intermediate throws. We likely wont see the deep ball as long as the starting tackles are out and TY keeps getting all the attention. Remember how Luck used to miss high a lot at the start of games? I'm not seeing that anymore. He's tightened up his motion a good deal.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I dont think anyone on here is a qualified QB coach that can say he is or he isnt. He looks fine to me. Way more accurate on intermediate throws. We likely wont see the deep ball as long as the starting tackles are out and TY keeps getting all the attention. Remember how Luck used to miss high a lot at the start of games? I'm not seeing that anymore. He's tightened up his motion a good deal.

This exactly. In that injury plagued 2016 season I remember Luck missing his receivers high and/or behind. I know it's a small sample size, but it stuck out to me how accurate he was on those numerous quick slants on Sunday.

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

This exactly. In that injury plagued 2016 season I remember Luck missing his receivers high and/or behind. I know it's a small sample size, but it stuck out to me how accurate he was on those numerous quick slants on Sunday.

Very true. Everything was thrown pretty much chest level. No lasers or nba alley-oop efforts needed to catch it.

On a few that were batted down or that looked late, to me it just looked like how Andrew still has the habit of trying to fire it in instead of leading his receivers a little more. Many here have said that about him pre-injury.

Yeah, he fired several tight throws in there on a rope Sunday.  the motion is much more compact.  he used to fully extend his arm above his head and throw almost on a downward release.  remember all that work he did with the "throwing doctors" out in CA?  Luck, and the team, literally came out and said they were working on his mechanics, and changing the fundamentals of his entire throwing process, from snap, to follow through...... no one should be surprised by the changes in his mechanics, and though a small sample size, it looks to have been in earnest..... the Eye test, as well as the stats, held true Sunday.

I'm not seeing lack of velocity.  He has gotten better in accuracy.  He has also stated there are throws he is just not comfortable with just yet.  I am guessing the really deep throws.  He has the strength for it, i am guessing his timing on those throws are just not there yet. He attempted 1 really deep one and did not connect.  Until he does, i think we won't see very many attempts due to not being comfortable.  Which is ok IMO, a 25-30 yard pass is still stretching a defense.  And i'd rather him get comfortable throwing the 40-50 yarders before just heaving them left and right.

Some people say there are throws that take forever, compared to Brisset, to get to receivers.  Those are called 'touch' throws.  Like both his TD throws to Ebron he had to arch enough to drop over coverage, yet not overthrow.  Something Brisset is not good at.  He has been doing this a LOT better.  Makes it easier for receivers to catch, and harder to defenders to defend.

He threw that rope to TY on the sideline that somehow fit into a window so small I still don't know how it got in there...  As others have stated, his accuracy and release has most certainly improved.  He's reading and just letting it rip.  His velocity on the short and intermediate throws has been excellent.  The passes to Hines and on the crossing patterns and slants have been mostly perfect.  Not too slow or fast.  Not aiming/guiding the pass and thus causing it to be late or high.  Ripped right in there to allow for some YAC. 

So I'd say he's throwing a much better ball to the short and intermediate levels.  And as for the deep ball, the pass to TY and the two back shoulder throws were right on target in tight coverage.  So far everything looks better than ever.

11 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

He threw that rope to TY on the sideline that somehow fit into a window so small I still don't know how it got in there...  As others have stated, his accuracy and release has most certainly improved.  He's reading and just letting it rip.  His velocity on the short and intermediate throws has been excellent.  The passes to Hines and on the crossing patterns and slants have been mostly perfect.  Not too slow or fast.  Not aiming/guiding the pass and thus causing it to be late or high.  Ripped right in there to allow for some YAC. 

So I'd say he's throwing a much better ball to the short and intermediate levels.  And as for the deep ball, the pass to TY and the two back shoulder throws were right on target in tight coverage.  So far everything looks better than ever.

I agree. Luck looks like a better passer. We used to see some wobbly balls. His balls are consistently tight.  Now, if he could eliminate the one or two bad decisions he makes that lead to INTs. 

14 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

The one thing I wasn't completely enamored with Luck pre-injury, coming into the league, was that his release wasn't too quick, even slow.

Being a stickler on my own point, but I shouldn't have said Luck ever had a slow release, just that it wasn't as tight/quick as it seems like now.

14 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Quoted a 3rd time just because people need to see.  My biggest gripe on Luck before was throwing high and behind. That's pretty much gone. 

17 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Maybe because he has decreased arm strength he's putting more weight and better throwing motion into his passes to make up for it??

I don't know because I haven't seen colts games/highlights yet. So I guess I'll have to go by what is said here.

Curious tho, has Luck thrown Deep passes much? That should be a good indicator of his arm strength.

To the bolded... not quite sure how that's possible, but here are the highlights.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Game one proved one thing about Luck- he is still in danger from a lack of an offensive line.

He threw the ball 53 times & was only sacked twice, & that was without both starting tackles. Not sure how you could look at that & say "bad OL." Maybe click the tweet below & scroll through that entire thread. Very good breakdown of the OL on Sunday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

To the bolded... not quite sure how that's possible, but here are the highlights.

Looking at his throws without the pressure of focusing on the game... He looks to have a nice sweet motion throwing now. Had some solid throws in tight coverage.

1 minute ago, IinD said:

Looking at his throws without the pressure of focusing on the game... He looks to have a nice sweet motion throwing now. Had some solid throws in tight coverage.

Seems to be having an easier time going through progressions as well, though I think that has more to do with offensive play design that isn't rooted in the 1950s.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Seems to be having an easier time going through progressions as well, though I think that has more to do with offensive play design that isn't rooted in the 1950s.

Yeah I agree on the identity of the offense as well.

For a first game looking at those clips, he really did look solid. Granted there weren't any 60 yard bombs, but whatever.

1 minute ago, IinD said:

Yeah I agree on the identity of the offense as well.

For a first game looking at those clips, he really did look solid. Granted there weren't any 60 yard bombs, but whatever.

Yeah, probably kind of ill-advised to take 60 yard shots downfield with both starting tackles sidelined, against a secondary that was #1 in covering WRs last year. We'll get our deep ball fix soon enough, but this coaching staff isn't going to force it like the last regime.

• Like 3

I didn't notice it but I haven't really studied and compared pre-surgery to now (and probably won't).  The only thing that matters to me is can he stay healthy and how is his accuracy.  There have been plenty of strong-armed QB's in this league that couldn't find their targets and were out of the league in short order.  His accuracy looks to be good, and I'd imagine it will only improve.