Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns tried to trade for Andrew Luck before 2018 draft???

chad72

11 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Picks #1,4,33 and 35 hmmmm. I may have jumped on that deal.

Nah. For me to even think about trading Luck to Cleveland, I'm getting back DE Myles Garrett in the deal. I need a proven young guy. 

I would've made them give me Garrett, the 1st overall, 4th overall, and their 2019 1st. 

Then I would've selected Darnold 1st overall, Chubb 4th overall, and kept Nelson at 6th overall. 

All hypothetical I know, but fun nonetheless. 

12 minutes ago, Calmack said:

Seeing how Luck seems to be back to his normal self, that deal would have been gunpoint robbery for the Browns. I'm glad we declined.

11 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Nah. For me to even think about trading Luck to Cleveland, I'm getting back DE Myles Garrett in the deal. I need a proven young guy. 

I would've made them give me Garrett, the 1st overall, 4th overall, and their 2019 1st. 

Then I would've selected Darnold 1st overall, Chubb 4th overall, and kept Nelson at 6th overall. 

Picks 1,4,6, 33,35,36 and 37 in the 1st 2 rounds and still have the 1st overall pick for your franchise QB.

I dunno. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Picks #1,4,33 and 35 hmmmm. I may have jumped on that deal.

I don't know if that was the actual offer, but if it were I'd have taken it in a heart beat...….

I love Luck, but man they could have filled a whole lot of holes will all those picks.

• Like 1

I'm just peeved by the lazy reporting. "Luck was dealing with a shoulder injury that he suffered while snowboarding. He missed every game during the 2017 season". No, lazy writer, the Snowboard had nothing to do with his injury and missing time as Rapoport stated. Reading comprehension and reporting has become a lost art.

Back to the topic at hand, tempting, but nah. Would need at least two more first rounders to even spark a conversation.

2 hours ago, dodsworth said:

Picks 1,4,6, 33,35,36 and 37 in the 1st 2 rounds and still have the 1st overall pick for your franchise QB.

I dunno. 

You're taking into account picks are we already have. If we're dealing with the Browns, we're not gonna settle for just 4 of their picks just because we have a couple of nice high picks ourselves. They'd need to cough up a lot more for Luck. 

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I like that idea expect I would go with Barkley instead and let Brisett start

Given the circumstances by which we acquired Luck (Manning's departure) and what Luck is when healthy(Elite franchise QB). Irsay would have never let Ballard trade Luck even for 1-4-33-35 or more... I can't even imagine the backlash from fans (and media) if this trade had happened. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlackPanther said:

You don't trade your franchise quarterback for draft picks.

Amen. What are people thinking here? A franchise QB like Luck is so incredibly rare. And for

every Luck there are 5 Ryan Leafs....high first round QB picks that are busts.  There are few sure bets. You don’t trade a franchise QB. Period. You build around them. 

• Like 1

Well, Ballard traded out of the third pick, got extra picks and there's still some holes- extra picks are neat and all, but it's no sure thing that it'll pan out. You trade Luck and you trade the franchises viability to contend. 

Glad we've got people who know what they're doing in charge. 

17 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I'm just peeved by the lazy reporting. "Luck was dealing with a shoulder injury that he suffered while snowboarding. He missed every game during the 2017 season". No, lazy writer, the Snowboard had nothing to do with his injury and missing time as Rapoport stated. Reading comprehension and reporting has become a lost art.

{snip}

Good catch. If it was, he could not have been placed on the PUP lists, right? He'd have to be listed on the NFI list...

15 hours ago, Calmack said:

You're taking into account picks are we already have. If we're dealing with the Browns, we're not gonna settle for just 4 of their picks just because we have a couple of nice high picks ourselves. They'd need to cough up a lot more for Luck. 

Depending upon timing and dynamics, maybe the Jets don't trade with us at all, or for a different pick...  or for different return capital... we'll never know.

2 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Cleveland was smart to give us a call. We did trade them a first round pick for a bust RB

LOL, they didn't know RG and CP were let go...