Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Takeaway from Ravens game.

Rackeen305

I absolutely hate it when the C doesn't put some speed on the ball when snapping the ball to the QB. It's like Joe Haeg was underhand pitching (passing) the ball to the QB. By the time the QB has to look the ball into his hands, The DE is almost in his grill, Thus the QB cannot read the freaking defense. Why haven't we signed a decent center instead of using an OT in Haeg?

Secondly, WE NEED to sign another WR like now. Grant has been horrible plain and simple through 2 games. And he's supposed to be a veteran dropping crossing routes under 5 yards? smh. I could continue but ill digress.

On the positive end of things, DE/DT Ridgeway and Audry have played really well through 2 games. Simon too. I like RB Wilkins who's running style reminds me of Bears Jordan Howard. He runs with a glide. I see why some compared him to RB Arian Foster. But it was a sloppy game with multiple fumbles and multiple penalties. Thoughts?

You know something...When I think about it.... WHERE IS SHEARD?? Colts are paying him like $8+ million and not one time has he flashed on the screen. He (SHEARD) is my biggest disappointment TBH. where is his leadership/veteran presents when you need him?

Coach Reich, Don't ever call a QB sneak on a 2 pt conversion.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

I absolutely hate it when the C doesn't put some speed on the ball when snapping the ball to the QB. It's like Joe Haeg was underhand pitching (passing) the ball to the QB. By the time the QB has to look the ball into his hands, The DE is almost in his grill, Thus the QB cannot read the freaking defense. Why haven't we signed a decent center instead of using an OT in Haeg?

Secondly, WE NEED to sign another WR like now. Grant has been horrible plain and simple through 2 games. And he's supposed to be a veteran dropping crossing routes under 5 yards? smh. I could continue but ill digress.

On the positive end of things, DE/DT Ridgeway and Audry have played really well through 2 games. Simon too. I like RB Wilkins who's running style reminds me of Bears Jordan Howard. He runs with a glide. I see why some compared him to RB Arian Foster. But it was a sloppy game with multiple fumbles and multiple penalties. Thoughts?

You know something...When I think about it.... WHERE IS SHEARD?? Colts are paying him like $8+ million and not one time has he flashed on the screen. He (SHEARD) is my biggest disappointment TBH. where is his leadership/veteran presents when you need him?

Coach Reich, Don't ever call a QB sneak on a 2 pt conversion.

Sheard and bashaam are underperforming. CAN'T WAIT TIL turay and Lewis play

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, #12. said:

I'll have to watch again, but 1s vs 1s, I thought we looked pretty bad across the board.  

In the regular season, I hope the play calling is better.   Not much about it I liked.  

I’d imagine the play calling will improve by 500%

Vanilla right now, don’t show your hand this early. Saturday against the 49ers will be the closest we’ll see to the “real” offense until Cincy comes to town for Week 1

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

I’d imagine the play calling will improve by 500%

Vanilla right now, don’t show your hand this early. Saturday against the 49ers will be the closest we’ll see to the “real” offense until Cincy comes to town for Week 1

No, you're not going to show much in preseason, but just getting a sense of where the offense is going.  To date, it's not exactly what I expected.

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

It's the preseason. Let off the gas OP

Dropped passes for a veteran is on the gas? And we see why some teams are good year in year out. I guess Packers putting up 50+ points against the Steelers last week was cruise control? I wish the Colts can put it on cruise control then. We may need it this year.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Everyone said:

That wasn't a QB sneak.

So what was it? That play was just as bad as the failed pagano fake run on 4th down. I havent spoken harshly about the coaching at all until that stupid play call. lets go 5 WR on the 2nd yardline. Thats not a QB fake/Sneak run? go ahead John Madden.

31 minutes ago, #12. said:

I'll have to watch again, but 1s vs 1s, I thought we looked pretty bad across the board.  

In the regular season, I hope the play calling is better.   Not much about it I liked.  

Sloppy, yes. I assume that will be cleaned up this week. Drops, turnovers and penalties really killed any flow for the starters.

I thought the defense looked fast and physical, but the front was sloppy on the outside against the run.

I'm not judging the play calling right now. I feel like some of the players don't have a full comfort level with the playbook yet. On the Luck pick, Ryan Grant stopped in the middle of the field instead of coming across; felt like a mistake to me. And on the last sack (edit: first sack), it looked like someone missed a protection call, probably Clark. Those things also need to be cleaned up.

Not a well played game for the Colts, but I'm not concerned about anything that I wasn't already concerned about. 

• Thanks 1

The good:

Adam Vinateri is the ageless wonder

Special teams created turnovers

Leonard is everywhere 

Simons motor is unreal

Wilson made some plays

Aside from fumble Wilkins looked good.

The bad 

Play calling. 

Andrew Luck looked rusty, held onto the ball to long and forced a throw in the redzone

Colts WRs were MIA. 

Nyheim Hines cant hold onto the ball. Bye felicia

Colts tackles were awful. If Castanzo cant stay healthy....

• Like 1

Luck is healthy, that is my take away. Game 2 of the Pre-Season = meaningless. As long as we are healthy against Cincy on opening day that is all that matters. If we lose to Cincy at home with Luck, TY Mack, AC, and somewhat of a healthy Defense then let the criticism/negativity begin - they deserve it then. Until then I tend to stay out of these convo's until the games matter. 

• Like 3

My thoughts:

- Quincy Wilson looked much improved 

- If Hooker was playing he probably intercepts that first Flacco deep ball

- LeRaven Clark has improved alot and should be a good option once AC leaves. The sack was bad but Luck had an age to get the ball out.  

- AL had all day to throw just no one to throw too. I counted most times around 4-5 seconds to get the ball out. 

- Kelly had some bad plays (gave up a sack), but otherwise the interior looks good

- B. Smith looked solid as did QN and Slausen.

- Leonard was, at times covering receivers. He looks the real deal. 

- The pass rush rotation should be decent this year. 

- Luck looked good when throwing to Doyle. There were no check downs in the play calling which would have help get the rhythm going. His throws were off but he didn't have alot of starters in there. Not too worried at this point. 

I never really pay much attention to preseason apart from game 3. 

• Like 1

Positives: 

Loved Wilson, Ridgeway, Simon, and Leonard and Geathers. These 5 will really help our defensive unit come week 1 when the 1st string is in all game.

Lewis, Turay and Hooker didn't play. The defense can actually get a lot better when these 3 are in and we have yet to see the outcome of that. Lot of hope during game 3 when that happens.

Wilkins looked very good besides a fumble that really wasn't his fault that much.

Ridgeway got two sacks for the 2nd preseason game in a row, had to mention this separately.

LeRaven Clark looked like a decent LT, which is a big deal if Constanzo misses any of the regular season.

Negatives:

Luck looked very rusty still. He needs to get better in a short amount of time.

Nyhiem Hines is awful. His ball protection is some of the worst I've ever seen. Like a 0 rated RB in Madden bad. 

Penalties were messing the game up on both sides, hopefully the helmet rule doesn't kill the game this year.

I didn't like coach Reich's playcalling at all. Two games now he's been unimpressive with the first team offensive unit. I get it's unscripted for the most part, but most other teams are still scoring with their first team units through two games to some degree. Very worrisome.

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

You should watch again, Sheard played well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Takeaways:

Colts having nothing at WR without Hilton.  Guys weren’t getting open which resulted in Luck trying to force it or hold the ball too long.

Both tackle spots are a major issue.  ACs return should help this.

The starting defense was better but still a concern

They have to find a new return man.  

Brissett is good

Wilkins has been good but hated to see him fumble even on the TD.  

Adam still has one heck of a leg

Pascal impressed me at WR but it was late in the game.  I wonder if we will see him earlier in the games based on this.

something to watch Simon was still playing in the fourth quarter not normally a good sign if you are a vet but he’s had a great camp so might have just been a lack of bodies issue or something.

RBs are dropping like flys,  Ferguson got hurt tonight.

look for some zone read in the Colts offense this year.

I liked to see the Colts ripping the ball out all over the place tonight.  

Farley played well and continues to be an underrated player.

ridgeway and Leonard continue to impress.

i miss bob lamey

• Like 1

The Defense is fast and swarms. Still some problems with edge containment I think, but they looked alright, and certainly will look better with Hooker back, and Lewis, Turay and Walker giving more depth and speed to the front 7. We also saw the effect of Clayton Geathers.

Lucks gonna be fine. He wasn’t great today at all, but he’s gonna he fine. There were a few vintage Andrew Luck plays on the fg drive, namely the 3rd and 12 where he stepped up in the pocket and threw into a tight window to Doyle.

30 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Positives: 

Loved Wilson, Ridgeway, Simon, and Leonard and Geathers. These 5 will really help our defensive unit come week 1 when the 1st string is in all game.

Lewis, Turay and Hooker didn't play. The defense can actually get a lot better when these 3 are in and we have yet to see the outcome of that. Lot of hope during game 3 when that happens.

Wilkins looked very good besides a fumble that really wasn't his fault that much.

Ridgeway got two sacks for the 2nd preseason game in a row, had to mention this separately.

LeRaven Clark looked like a decent LT, which is a big deal if Constanzo misses any of the regular season.

Negatives:

Luck looked very rusty still. He needs to get better in a short amount of time.

Nyhiem Hines is awful. His ball protection is some of the worst I've ever seen. Like a 0 rated RB in Madden bad. 

Penalties were messing the game up on both sides, hopefully the helmet rule doesn't kill the game this year.

I didn't like coach Reich's playcalling at all. Two games now he's been unimpressive with the first team offensive unit. I get it's unscripted for the most part, but most other teams are still scoring with their first team units through two games to some degree. Very worrisome.

Here's a tip about Luck.     He is NOT going to get better in a short amount of time as you hope for.

He's going to get better over the course of the 17 week regular season.      He looks badly rusty.   That doesn't fall off in a few weeks.     More like a few months.     Remember, for the most part, Luck was not practicing with the team in the spring.    He joined in with passing around August 1st.    The calendar says Aug. 20 right now.     Luck is WAY behind schedule.

Some of us have been predicting this for months.     Few here want to believe it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here's a tip about Luck.     He is NOT going to get better in a short amount of time as you hope for.

He's going to get better over the course of the 17 week regular season.      He looks badly rusty.   That doesn't fall off in a few weeks.     More like a few months.     Remember, for the most part, Luck was not practicing with the team in the spring.    He joined in with passing around August 1st.    The calendar says Aug. 20 right now.     Luck is WAY behind schedule.

Some of us have been predicting this for months.     Few here want to believe it.

I will be curious to see how he looks against Cincy on opening day after a full pre-season and more practices. I am holding out judgement until then. If he looks rusty then, you may be right. It might take him 4 or 5 games before we see old Luck.

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

If you’re expecting Sheard to make flashy plays you will be disappointed. He’s not a flashy player but he does his job in setting the edge and creating pressure to force quick throws. He’s not going to be a guy that gets 10+ sacks but that does t mean he’s trash 

• Thanks 1

This defense is fast. Geathers Fairley and Hooker are going to make a nice safety trio, if they can stay healthy (big if I know). Leonard is the future of this defense. Wilson played well and I hope for continued growth. So much youth and potential with this unit. 

Offensively, it's hard to elaborate on. Luck was obviously off tonight. He made some nice plays, but it wasn't a good night. Tackles were miserable. Hines continues to be a disappointment across the board. I really like Wilkins game and think he could be something special paired with Mack when he returns. Receiver core is thin and needs help. Grant struggled. TY missing was obvious. Chester played a pretty decent little game. Doyle and Ebron in the right playcalling will be tough to defend, and I look for Luck to utilize them often early on in the season. Playcalling is so vanilla that it cannot even be brought up in an evaluation right now. They obviously have an emphasis on the short game, and I'm perfectly fine with that. They are going to need a lot of quick hitters if the tackle play continues to be this poor... with that said Ravens defense is good and caused some serious disruption tonight. 

Vinny is still wonderful. Sanchez had a few really bad punts, but is still a good punter and should have a good season for us. 

I actually don't think Luck was that bad. The turnover was bad, obviously. His first throw was low, but he was throwing past multiple defenders and trying to be safe with the ball. The two throws to Doyle -- right seam, and middle second level -- were very nice. Especially the one on the move. He hit a slant to Rogers that was encouraging. He probably could have provided more touch on the throw to Grant.

The offense was disjointed overall. The blocking wasn't great, and there were dropped passes. It seemed like they weren't totally on the same page. Playcalling didn't quite get it going, probably because of penalties and poor run blocking. 

This felt like the kind of game where Luck would start out playing poorly, but would eventually get into a rhythm. The main question I have is whether Luck can push the ball down the field. They haven't even tried to go more that 10-15 yards so far; Brissett at least looked down the field on a couple plays, even though he didn't throw it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

So what was it? That play was just as bad as the failed pagano fake run on 4th down. I havent spoken harshly about the coaching at all until that stupid play call. lets go 5 WR on the 2nd yardline. Thats not a QB fake/Sneak run? go ahead John Madden.

It's a keeper, not a sneak. I didn't like the call either, but who cares. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Dropped passes for a veteran is on the gas? And we see why some teams are good year in year out. I guess Packers putting up 50+ points against the Steelers last week was cruise control? I wish the Colts can put it on cruise control then. We may need it this year.

Doing well or doing bad in the preseason doesn't define much. Doesn't mean the Steelers or the Packers are going to do well.  And it doesn't define the whole season.  There's still plenty of time to get sharp and correct things.

43 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I think one of the reasons we are not able to push the ball downfield is we dont have recievers with true long speed. With TY out, there isnt any reciever that is noted for being able to get separation downfield and make plays. Cain getting injured was very dissapointing.

Preseason games are for working on different things. They may not have even been emphasizing the deep ball last night. Maybe they were working the short game to WR. Last game it was short passes to the backs and running the ball some.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Ridgeway looked really good again, run and pass. 

I'm still waiting to see when they are going to decide to give him a run with the first unit. He's consistently been the only one who creates any pressure and penetration into the backfield of the opponent. 

I really liked Ridgeway last year, too, he again was the player who was creating most havoc even in the Pagano system. His per snap production has always been impressive. He had 3 sacks last year and only played 16% of the snaps. He continues to do that and I am out of explanations about why he's not getting first team reps. I might be missing something but it's mind boggling to me why in a team that lacks any sort of pass-rush we continue to artificially limit the only player we have who is a pass-rush threat.  

IMO he should be starting at 3tech and playing at least 60-70% of the snaps. I don't care who sits, whoever you sit from that first team D-line is not going to be much of a loss. You cannot convince me we have anyone more worthy on our interior. Autry is not bad, but Ridgeway is outplaying him pretty clearly IMO. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I get that it's preseason, but I still didn't like the decisions to run twice in a row after the fumble recovery. Like, you have Luck in the red zone and it may not happen again in the game, let him chuck it a couple times. Especially since it seemed like the run game wasn't really going anywhere.

• Like 1

I didn't like the play calling, especially when Luck was out there.  I heard so much about how the offense would be great for Luck and it would not let Luck hold the ball too long.   I didn't see that at all.   Luck won't last long if he keeps taking hits like that.   

I thought Luck played OK for the second preseason game.  

I've said this before on here and will say it again, the more things change, the more they stay the same. We still don't run block, our receivers don't get open where as oppponent receivers are wide open, we give up 3rd and long    consistently,way to many penalties nullifying nice plays. There is alot of speed and talent on this team, why do things look the same? I can go back to the seventies when Marchibroda was coach-run to the left,run to the right, 3rd and long incomplete pass, punt. These guys can put it together and win this division. There were alot of positives tonight!

• Like 1

My thoughts: 

I want to see Wilkins running with the 1's

How many chances does Hines get before they stop letting him return kicks? 
Ryan Grant plain sucks……give Ishmael his spot 
Desir is better than Moore by far 
Our LB’s (not named Morrison) are looking pretty decent 
Ridgeway is looking great 
Autry and Simon are looking good

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stephen said:

Sheard and bashaam are underperforming. CAN'T WAIT TIL turay and Lewis play

Lewis has been primarily playing as a DT, neither Sheard or Basham play on the interio, Its only preseason so i cant necessarily say they have been under performing. Sheard isn't a guy that is going to give you an 11-12 sack season he is more of a 6-9 sack type of guy but he excels in setting the edge and playing against the run which is the trade off. Basham its only his second season you cant really write the guy off yet the position is a tad harder to transition into out of college. I think he is still trying to adjust to the speed of the game.