Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Passing Offense - Stop Stressing

Scott Pennock

First I'd like everyone to think really hard as to whom, on the Chargers (when Reich was the OC) and the Eagles (same as w/Chargers) about who thier number 1 receivers were!?

A lot of folks seem worried about lack of depth or a "true number x, y or z" and I'm thinking that Phillip Rivers and Carson Wentz seemingly only had tight ends and running backs that were quote, unquote stars.

The WR's were mostly role players in those systems. Except, we have ourselves a bonifide Pro Bowler to work with in addition to some studly TE's and seemingly 3 RB's that can catch out of the backfield.

Rivers and Wentz seemed to have zero issues throwing for 4000+ yards and I would like to think Luck is better than both of them plus the added advantage of T.Y.

T.Y. can be dynamic and Rogers & Grant et al need only to run the routes their given and catch what Luck throws them. Add in a security blanket in Doyle as well as the dynamics (size/speed mismatches) of Ebron/Swoope/Travis at TE with Mack/Wilkins leaking out of the backfield plus Hines in the Sproles role and I don't understand why folks are concerned about adding a Dez Bryant or some other supposed star.....

Andrew Luck is the star and much like Peyton he can make even average WR's look better.

Let Kasen Williams, Zack Pascal, K.J. Brent, Reece Fountain and Steve Ishmael fight it out for those last 2-3 spots - all of them except for Brent had very successful college careers so there is talent there - except Williams, Pascal and Ishmael all ran in the 4.5's, hence they weren't drafted despite their accolades.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

It's scary because besides TY and Doyle, none of the TE's/WR's are proven. Ryan Grant has been decent for one season. Eric Ebron was a bust in Detroit, and is still a bust until proven otherwise. 

He has been an average TE during  his career.   Far from a bust

• Like 4

It's all about perspective. For a 10th pick (or whatever Ebron was), he was a bust from Detroit's perspective. As a relatively low risk free agent signing, he seems like a great pick up from my perspective as a Colts fan.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He has been an average TE during  his career.   Far from a bust

In two of his four seasons, he scored only one TD. For a big, physical player, this is not acceptable. If you don't want to call him a bust, that is your opinion, but your standards are too low

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

In two of his four seasons, he scored only one TD. For a big, physical player, this is not acceptable. If you don't want to call him a bust, that is your opinion, but your standards are too low

You are a funny little man.  Keep it up, your posts provide a lot of comic relief during my work day.

28 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I think the offense is going to go through the RBs and TEs. TY will get his...but Luck's going to be looking short quite often (which is just fine with me).

If Montana and Brady can build their name's on a dink and dunk offense

then so can Luck. If you can't beat em then join em.

3 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

If Montana and Brady can build their name's on a dink and dunk offense

then so can Luck. If you can't beat em then join em.

Absolutely. Throwing to RBs is incredibly effective...and for some reason Chud and Pep wouldn't do it.

I expect we will see a lot of the RPO that PHI ran when Foles took over (slants to Doyle and Hilton and flats to the RB)...with Luck opening it up at opportune times. I don't see them relying on Luck to create plays from scratch and throw it 50 times per game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Absolutely. Throwing to RBs is incredibly effective...and for some reason Chud and Pep wouldn't do it.

I expect we will see a lot of the RPO that PHI ran when Foles took over (slants to Doyle and Hilton and flats to the RB)...with Luck opening it up at opportune times. I don't see them relying on Luck to create plays from scratch and throw it 50 times per game.

Over the last couple of years throwing to the RBs was not a very good thing to do. Mack was pretty good last season but Gore had hands of stone as far a catching too many passes out of the backfield.  We really haven't had a great receiving RB since Addai left.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Over the last couple of years throwing to the RBs was not a very good thing to do. Mack was pretty good last season but Gore had hands of stone as far a catching too many passes out of the backfield.  We really haven't had a great receiving RB since Addai left.

Frank for had over 80 receptions the last two years.   Addai never had 80 catches over two consecutive seasons.   Frank had some bad drops,   but he caught a lot of balls over his career,   including here

40 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Frank for had over 80 receptions the last two years.   Addai never had 80 catches over two consecutive seasons.   Frank had some bad drops,   but he caught a lot of balls over his career,   including here

Sorry JV, Frank had 67 catches his last 2 seasons here.

Frank Gore had hands of stone?!?

Oh, Dear God...   here we go again...   another figment of imagination.

Gore didn’t have great hands...   but they were certainly decent.   I think some here are mixing up Gore’s few fumbles his first year here with dropped passes... 

For too many fans here, the only things they know how to say is either someone sucks at something or he was great at something.   They struggle with concepts like average, or above average, or below average.  

Some of the conversations we have here are positively head scratching...

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Frank Gore had hands of stone?!?

Oh, Dear God...   here we go again...   another figment of imagination.

Gore didn’t have great hands...   but they were certainly decent.   I think some here are mixing up Gore’s few fumbles his first year here with dropped passes... 

For too many fans here, the only things they know how to say is either someone sucks at something or he was great at something.   They struggle with concepts like average, or above average, or below average.  

Some of the conversations we have here are positively head scratching...

Gore was not a great catching RB.

A lot of our stuff is going to come off of play action anyway so that in itself allows you to get a couple steps on a defender to create separation.  And our WR are bigger than what they have been in the past so they can body up on people. We will be alright as long as they catch the football.

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I bet he is near the top ten all time for receptions by a rb

hes probably more like top 30

top 20 here http://www.footballperspective.com/matt-forte-darren-sproles-reggie-bush-and-career-leaders-in-rb-receptions/

i thought he was good after the catch, but had too many slip away.  luck always seemed to hit him high too

14 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

This is from 2016

yeah and frank has 443 catches as of right now when he needed 470 to make the top 20 2 years ago

only a few of those guys are still active, but forte, sproles and bush have only widened the gap since then 

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

Of all the things I'm concerned about for the Colts next season I'd say the passing offense is probably near the bottom. Much bigger fish to fry.

As long as Luck stays upright I have little concern with our passing game.  I think with Frank being in charge of the offense we will see Luck use more shorter and dump off passes than we have seen in the past.

On 8/13/2018 at 8:16 AM, Pacergeek said:

... and the other two he scored 9, so what is your point. He averaged 45-500-3 in his four years in Detroit. Less than expected for his draft position, but far from being a bust. You use that term far too loosely... and quite frankly, it's annoying to everyone here. 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:44 PM, Scott Pennock said:

First I'd like everyone to think really hard as to whom, on the Chargers (when Reich was the OC) and the Eagles (same as w/Chargers) about who thier number 1 receivers were!?

A lot of folks seem worried about lack of depth or a "true number x, y or z" and I'm thinking that Phillip Rivers and Carson Wentz seemingly only had tight ends and running backs that were quote, unquote stars.

The WR's were mostly role players in those systems. Except, we have ourselves a bonifide Pro Bowler to work with in addition to some studly TE's and seemingly 3 RB's that can catch out of the backfield.

Rivers and Wentz seemed to have zero issues throwing for 4000+ yards and I would like to think Luck is better than both of them plus the added advantage of T.Y.

T.Y. can be dynamic and Rogers & Grant et al need only to run the routes their given and catch what Luck throws them. Add in a security blanket in Doyle as well as the dynamics (size/speed mismatches) of Ebron/Swoope/Travis at TE with Mack/Wilkins leaking out of the backfield plus Hines in the Sproles role and I don't understand why folks are concerned about adding a Dez Bryant or some other supposed star.....

Andrew Luck is the star and much like Peyton he can make even average WR's look better.

Let Kasen Williams, Zack Pascal, K.J. Brent, Reece Fountain and Steve Ishmael fight it out for those last 2-3 spots - all of them except for Brent had very successful college careers so there is talent there - except Williams, Pascal and Ishmael all ran in the 4.5's, hence they weren't drafted despite their accolades.

I like Williams and Pascal thought they played pretty well so far we will see what they can do next game.