Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How did you like the play calling?

Trace Pyott

I know it's off-season and teams are being super conservative and vanilla but I was just wondering what you guys thought about our new coaching schemes and especially the play calling. I for one really enjoyed the offensive plAy calling especially going for that one 4th down that we converted.  It just seemed less predictable and I really liked the 4 wr sets we ran. No joke I think I saw better drawn up plays in that one pre season game

than the whole season last year.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

What I noticed was the rhythm of it all. Each play seemed to have a purpose, each play seemed to to be properly timed. I also liked Luck having the ability to appear to change the play at the LOS: Something we were used to seeing with Manning, and absent since the Luck era began.

• Like 3

I did enjoy the three tight end set it could come in handy when everyone gets a few games under their belt and the same cast starts to know the guy beside him and what the limitations are. I like the idea of using the backs out of the back field they are trying to mix the play calling up which was nice. but i believe after luck went out they went to the run to much on first down unless they were evaluating the o-line at this time

The Colts finally have an offense and play caller that recognizes the weakness of the OL.  2 dive plays into the line and a 7-step drop on 3rd down gets your QB injured for 585 days.  That offense can also keep the defense off the field too.  Red Zone scoring is critical.

Seattle isn't the same but I'm pretty happy with last night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheMarine said:

What I noticed was the rhythm of it all. Each play seemed to have a purpose, each play seemed to to be properly timed. I also liked Luck having the ability to appear to change the play at the LOS: Something we were used to seeing with Manning, and absent since the Luck era began.

Huh?  Luck has had pretty much full authority to change plays or modify plays at the LOS since his 2nd year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

It was vanilla but it was also true to what was promised to us. Quicker plays, ball is out of the QB hands 

I’m ready for the 3rd preseason game where we’ll get a more in depth look 

I agree!  I loved the playcalling and the overall look of the offense and I'm sure it will get even better as the offense gets more comfortable with the new playbook.  As you said, it was true to what was promised so it was expected, but still it was great to see these things in action. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Play calling was great. A few play actions, screens. Things that didnt work out for us that well last year. especially screens. We need better/consistent position play from C and LT though.

Kelly played very well at center in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Smash Mouth said:

The Colts finally have an offense and play caller that recognizes the weakness of the OL.  2 dive plays into the line and a 7-step drop on 3rd down gets your QB injured for 585 days.  That offense can also keep the defense off the field too.  Red Zone scoring is critical.

Seattle isn't the same but I'm pretty happy with last night.

Luck did have a 7-step drop last night but most were quick drops.

5 minutes ago, J@son said:

Huh?  Luck has had pretty much full authority to change plays or modify plays at the LOS since his 2nd year. 

Doubt it. How many 5/7 step drops were called then run while the D had 5 DBs on the field the last few years? How often did Luck have to improvise after the snap, instead of tailoring what he saw on the field? How often could you see the blitz coming, and didnt check out into a quick out or a screen/draw?

I doubt very much he was encouraged to change the play, and anything he did was changing a route or improvising.

It was exactly what you want in a preseason opener.  The play-calling was simple and gave our players the ability to showcase what they're best at.  Like that first quick pass from Luck to Mack in the flat where he just beat his man to the edge and turned the corner for a 1st down.

They executed a perfect "rub" play on that 4th down conversion pass to Turbin.

The defense was pretty vanilla, but it did what we want: bend but don't break and don't get injured.

3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

It was exactly what you want in a preseason opener.  The play-calling was simple and gave our players the ability to showcase what they're best at.  Like that first quick pass from Luck to Mack in the flat where he just beat his man to the edge and turned the corner for a 1st down.

They executed a perfect "rub" play on that 4th down conversion pass to Turbin.

The defense was pretty vanilla, but it did what we want: bend but don't break and don't get injured.

Didn't Mack and Cain get injured?

8 minutes ago, TheMarine said:

Doubt it. How many 5/7 step drops were called then run while the D had 5 DBs on the field the last few years? How often did Luck have to improvise after the snap, instead of tailoring what he saw on the field? How often could you see the blitz coming, and didnt check out into a quick out or a screen/draw?

I doubt very much he was encouraged to change the play, and anything he did was changing a route or improvising.

he had the ability to change the play but he still had to choose plays that were in the playbook.  that playbook was built around 5 and 7 step drops and longer developing plays down the field.  

He has definitely had the authority to make adjustments and change plays...Pagano spoke to it several times as did both Pep and Chud.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheMarine said:

What we see vs what they said during the Chud era especially was beyond conflicting

I can agree with that to a point.  I don't think it applies here though.  Also keep in mind that Chud was only Luck's OC for a year and a half.  Luck spent 3 years with Arians and Pep. 

With Pep it seemed like it got to the point of Luck having the same autonomy that Peyton had in that the OC would call in multiple plays and allowed Luck to choose the best among them based on what he saw from the defense.

I would agree that Luck didn't have THAT level of authority at the LOS under Chud, but I don't believe that Chud ever told him he was not allowed to change plays or make adjustments at the LOS.

• Like 3

Playing effecient offense is your goal, but it only works if you can play complementary football.  If this defense puts you down several scores every game, you will be back to gunning it.  You will need the chunk plays.  Unless, Turay, Hooker and Geathers can make this defense respectable, I'm sorry to say it looks like Ground Hog Day on that side of the ball.

For a game that was 19-17 Colts. Of which the defense no matter the unit gave up a total of 10 points people sure talk as if the unit gave up 40 points or something. And as if this were not the 1st preseason game of the season. Yet people already know they are going to give up 30 plus a game. Let them continue to keep playing together and I think they won't be as weak as you think. There were some bad things last night on top of a lot of encouraging things. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, krunk said:

For a game that was 19-17 Colts. Of which the defense no matter the unit gave up a total of 10 points people sure talk as if the unit gave up 40 points or something. And as if this were not the 1st preseason game of the season. Yet people already know they are going to give up 30 plus a game. Let them continue to keep playing together and I think they won't be as weak as you think. There were some bad things last night on top of a lot of encouraging things. 

Not to mention we were short some starters on defense.

I think this 1st pre-season game went pretty well considering we are very young and have a lot of new players.

For some to expect to see this team come in and look like a seasoned vet group is unrealistic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, #12. said:

Playing effecient offense is your goal, but it only works if you can play complementary football.  If this defense puts you down several scores every game, you will be back to gunning it.  You will need the chunk plays.  Unless, Turay, Hooker and Geathers can make this defense respectable, I'm sorry to say it looks like Ground Hog Day on that side of the ball.

You are aware this was the 1st pre-season game of the year? 

5 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

Pagano is and always will be way better at fervently clapping his hands than Reich could ever dream of being, so he has that going for him, which is nice.

What does Pagano have to do with any of this?

In case you didn't know he was fired and is no longer with the team.

Bringing him up is just beating a dead horse and serves no purpose except to whine about the past.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Bringing him up is just beating a dead horse and serves no purpose except to whine about the past.

Because it's fun to bash both Pagano and Grigson. After all the suffering those two inflicted upon us, we deserve to rip them for however long as we want to. 

Loved seeing the quick passing plays to the RB's. Marlon Mack has the ability to take it house any time he touches the ball. He's going to have a big year in this offense. 

On the play where Luck first got hit, I think he did this on purpose. Seemed eager to scramble just to see if he can still take a hit. Coaches need to save Andrew from himself. He does not mind getting hit. Seems to enjoy it

5 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Loved seeing the quick passing plays to the RB's. Marlon Mack has the ability to take it house any time he touches the ball. He's going to have a big year in this offense. 

On the play where Luck first got hit, I think he did this on purpose. Seemed eager to scramble just to see if he can still take a hit. Coaches need to save Andrew from himself. He does not mind getting hit. Seems to enjoy it

On purpose? Really? No, he was going for the first down. No more, no less.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

On purpose? Really? No, he was going for the first down. No more, no less.

Agree. Yeah, I think Wagner made a good play not trailing Rogers, he stuck with Chester till Luck gave up on the play and read Luck's run very well to stop him short of a first down. 

If anything, Chester Rogers not going hard for a 1st down when he was within a yard or two of it, plus not getting open does concern me. I hope it is not a whole year of just TY, Doyle and RBs, rinse and repeat.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Agree. Yeah, I think Wagner made a good play not trailing Rogers, he stuck with Chester till Luck gave up on the play and read Luck's run very well to stop him short of a first down. 

If anything, Chester Rogers not going hard for a 1st down when he was within a yard or two of it, plus not getting open does concern me. I hope it is not a whole year of just TY, Doyle and RBs, rinse and repeat.

The Chester play concerned me too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

What do you mean "what does Chuck Pagano have to do with this"?  He was the coach last year, he has everything to "do with this."  When one talks about improved playcalling, as several do in this thread and will throughout the season, the "improvement" would be in relation to last year's product, which Chuck Pagano was accountable for.

Who put you in charge of who can and cannot be discussed on this message board?  Nobody needs your endorsement to post anything.  I'll mention Pagano's name anytime I feel like it.  Don't like it?  I don't care....scroll past it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, krunk said:

While I agree that 1 preseason game doesn't predict the future for the season there were signs in there that make people feel the way they do. The defensive starts were dismantled on the 1st drive by the Seahawks starters which led to the TD. Several times WR's were yards away from a Colt defender when they caught a pass. They also hit 3rd down only one time on that scoring drive (a successful 4th down conversion that was stalled by a false start). Im aware not all Colts starters played but the Seahawks also didnt have their best offensive player on the field (not counting QB's).

And.....its the Seahawks first preseason game too. Any excuses about players being out of sync, rookies or rusty also applies to their offense and that didnt stop them from lighting the Colts starters up.

1 hour ago, MacDee1975 said:

What do you mean "what does Chuck Pagano have to do with this"?  He was the coach last year, he has everything to "do with this."  When one talks about improved playcalling, as several do in this thread and will throughout the season, the "improvement" would be in relation to last year's product, which Chuck Pagano was accountable for.

Who put you in charge of who can and cannot be discussed on this message board?  Nobody needs your endorsement to post anything.  I'll mention Pagano's name anytime I feel like it.  Don't like it?  I don't care....scroll past it.

You never mentioned Pagano's play calling in your comment. You were too worried about him clapping his hands.

No one said I was in control of anything but I am just as entitled to my comments as you are.

You can live and whine about the past and keep beating a dead horse all you care to. By all means, knock yourself out.

37 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

While I agree that 1 preseason game doesn't predict the future for the season there were signs in there that make people feel the way they do. The defensive starts were dismantled on the 1st drive by the Seahawks starters which led to the TD. Several times WR's were yards away from a Colt defender when they caught a pass. They also hit 3rd down only one time on that scoring drive (a successful 4th down conversion that was stalled by a false start). Im aware not all Colts starters played but the Seahawks also didnt have their best offensive player on the field (not counting QB's).

And.....its the Seahawks first preseason game too. Any excuses about players being out of sync, rookies or rusty also applies to their offense and that didnt stop them from lighting the Colts starters up.

We didn't see all the defensive starters out of the field so what are you talking about?

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

We didn't see all the defensive starters out of the field so what are you talking about?

Really people in here should just be ecstatic that Luck is back and is 100% considering several people in here Posted that he was done. That he would never play again, etc.. With the way some people Post in here you would think Luck got injured and we lost the game last night.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Really people in here should just be ecstatic that Luck is back and is 100% considering several people in here Posted that he was done. That he would never play again, etc.. With the way some people Post in here you would think Luck got injured and we lost the game last night.

Yeah I know. I just cant understand why there are those who choose the negative over the positive. It was the 1st pre-season game and you would have thought we just got knocked out of the playoffs. haha

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

Most of the throws were short take what the defense gives you type of throws. The ball was coming out of Wilson's hand before the rush could even get home. Plus there's no game planning being done.  Almost everyone plays so so defense in the preseason. And those couple running plays Seattle made gains on to me were busted run fits. Fixable issue. Skai Moore had a nice play in coverage, Mate Hairston had a pick, Sheard, Simon, Autry made sacks and near sacks in the backfield. Even when Kenny Moore got beat he was right there with his man in coverage. Hassan Ridgeway was very active. Darius Leonard made plays, Margus Hunt made plays. These are many of the pluses I saw. Now they need to go back and clean the mistakes up as they continue to play together. A lot of plusses for a group missing key parts.