Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts release unofficial depth chart for Colts @ Seahawks

TKnight24

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

Im suprised Turay is ahead of Basham. Ive hardly heard about Turay with the ones. Then you have wilson behind moore and Desir? But the biggest laugher is Clark being our backup LT. I get these depth charts are in pencil and not pen, but thats ridiculous. 

Who do you think should be the backup LT?  They don’t exactly have a lot of proven options at this point. 

3 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I think what @TKnight24 said/meant was that the vested vets had be warned and their roster spots/starter roles aren’t safe

IMO

There are only 4 guys whose starting role/roster spot is safe at this point

AL

AV 

Rigo

Rhodes

TY, Doyle, Castonzo, Kelly, and Nelson are all locked in if healthy.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Who do you think should be the backup LT?  They don’t exactly have a lot of proven options at this point. 

Thats the problem. We dont have many options if anything happens to AC. Our best bet would be move Howard from right to left and play Haeg at RT. Id say Good, but the guy is just never healthy. I expect us to draft a OT next year to work on the right til AC's contract is up

34 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Thats the problem. We dont have many options if anything happens to AC. Our best bet would be move Howard from right to left and play Haeg at RT. Id say Good, but the guy is just never healthy. I expect us to draft a OT next year to work on the right til AC's contract is up

I'm probably wrong,  but I'd expect us to sign a FA Right Tackle next winter if Howard doesn't pan out.

I think we'd like someone who can step in and play at a high level right away.     I'd prefer not to use a high draft pick in 19 on a OT who won't play much his rookie year.  But that may be just me.    I absolutely do NOT want us to use a 4th 1st round draft pick on the OL.    At some point, it's just too much invested in one area.   

I see us using a high pick (2nd round)  in the '20 draft and staying with Howard or the FA RT until the rookie is ready.

I suspect my view will be in the minority,  but that's how I see this playig out.

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm probably wrong,  but I'd expect us to sign a FA Right Tackle next winter if Howard doesn't pan out.

I think we'd like someone who can step in and play at a high level right away.     I'd prefer not to use a high draft pick in 19 on a OT who won't play much his rookie year.  But that may be just me.    I absolutely do NOT want us to use a 4th 1st round draft pick on the OL.    At some point, it's just too much invested in one area.   

I see us using a high pick (2nd round)  in the '20 draft and staying with Howard or the FA RT until the rookie is ready.

I suspect my view will be in the minority,  but that's how I see this playig out.

I wouldn't mind us using a high draft pick on a tackle next year if he's good enough to play LT. I think it's wise to plan ahead and in case Ballard doesn't want to extend Castonzo past his current contract or is worried we might lose him to another team that might want to overpay.

In other words, lets say OT2 drops to us in the draft next year(haven't studied them still, but Jonah Williams seems like a player who will most likely not last to where we will be picking) and we think he's BPA. I wouldn't mind us taking him with the idea to start him at RT and move him to LT in case we lose Castonzo in 2020. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I wouldn't mind us using a high draft pick on a tackle next year if he's good enough to play LT. I think it's wise to plan ahead and in case Ballard doesn't want to extend Castonzo past his current contract or is worried we might lose him to another team that might want to overpay.

In other words, lets say OT2 drops to us in the draft next year(haven't studied them still, but Jonah Williams seems like a player who will most likely not last to where we will be picking) and we think he's BPA. I wouldn't mind us taking him with the idea to start him at RT and move him to LT in case we lose Castonzo in 2020. 

I think the only way we'd get a rookie tackle that can step in and start at RT for a year or two before taking over for AC on the left side is to use our first round pick on that player.

The kid from Alabama,  or the kid from Mississippi State or Ol' Miss. 

And the only way to get that kid is with our first round pick in 19.    And if we do that,  we're not picking a DL in an historically great class of D-lineman.     I think that would be beyond terrible.  A complete misuse of premium draft picks.    This coming draft has what we need and want on he defensive side of the ball.     That's where I hope we spend our Day 1 and 2 picks.

I think drafting another OL with a first round pick is just too much.   It's overkill.   We can fix the remaining parts of the OL with FA and a high pick in 20 and 21.

Just my view of things....    and again,  I know it will be unpopular with some here....

• Like 1

On the depth chart. I'm not certain how those are distributed. For example, from what I was reading throughout the week it seemed like Moore was taking away more of the slot 1 snaps, rather than boundary CB2 snaps... So it will be interesting to see if Wilson or Moore starts opposite Desir. If I had to guess it's more likely that they all start(Wilson and Desir at outside corner, Moore in the slot in nickel and dime packages). 

The other thing that immediately caught my eye was Kemoko Turay at DE2. I read he was taking first team reps last couple of practices. I'm actually kind of happy about it. I think he's a high potential guy and I am stoked that having been branded a raw guy who needs to learn a lot to get snaps, has actually ascended to first team status. it probably will be a heavy rotation and starter vs secondary passrushers probably won't mean as much to start the year, but it still signifies a serious development from him. He must be catching the coaches' attention both with his talent and with his work ethic for them to put him at DE2. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Cue playground giggles re the FA RT comment. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sad this room has to be PC when something is said. Now it is analyzed just to make sure no ones feelings get hurt.

Just kill me now.

I'm the least PC person on this forum and you should know that. The problem is that you are so pro-colts, that you are literally taking a shot at someone when they are disagreeing with the positioning of a preseason lineup. These are not meant to be taken seriously. It's coaches trying players at new positions/and/or starting them ahead or behind of other players they normally wouldn't be to get more or less playing time. This has nothing to do with the Colts being smarter than us. That schtick should be used when someone is being truly dumb, not when they disagree with any simple decision Ballard, Reich, or someone else makes, and you are known on here for saying that quite often for the most ridiculous things.

Nothing to do with being PC, it just has to do with the overused schtick. Most people on here know we aren't as smart as the GM or Coach. That doesn't mean we can't disagree with them from time to time if we present a good case, and sometimes people on here are right doing that and the GM/and/or/Coach end up being wrong. You should of learned this from Grigson and Pagano, and apparently you didn't.

• Like 1

This is the 1st preseason game line-up.  This line-up will most likely change EVERY preseason game.  I wouldn't look too hard into this first list.  Best thing is if you're wanting to know how a person is doing, watch him in live action vrs. an opponent they have no control over.  This is what coaches do.  So if you see your guy playing well, but THEN it doesn't seem that he's getting his position...then that is when i'd ask questions.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You do realize Ballard was on record stating he feels that Good & Heag will end up being solid tackles for the Colts right?

https://www.colts.com/news/chris-ballard-on-luck-s-progression-hooker-s-preseason-debut-standout-rookies-an

"we have Joe Haeg and (Denzelle) Good who we think can develop into solid right tackles."

7 hours ago, CR91 said:

That’s fine.  I just don’t think they really have a better option to be the backup left tackle right now other than maybe Haeg and IMO he has really struggled at tackle.  Good I think has a very outside chance to start at RT so they will probably leave him.  Then after that you are dealing with guys who probably won’t make the final roster.  No question they are in trouble if AC sustains a serious injury.

16 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It’s not surprising to me, but I’m surprised no one has said anything about John Simon not being a starter at  DE opposite Sheard. He’s listed 2nd string behind him though.

And he's not suited up for practice today?  Could a trade be in the works?  

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

My comment was just a response to your ridiculous comment. No more, no less.

I will as the casual observer point out to you that this above post is RUDE with out the addition of RIDICULOUS it was fine your not oblivious to this obviously with your follow up posts you just wish to stir the pot needlessly don't take this personal but its been a long off season months of sillyness on these boards but alas Football is here again I hope your as excited as me to finally watch our colts take the field this year as always I'm pumped what will we see from our new & improved Colts with a brand new coaching staff & which players will benefit the most from these changes enjoy brother .:colts:

• Thanks 1

Two things that surprised me.  Clark as the No.2 tackle behind Costanzo and Haag No. 3 at various positions on the depth chart. I went to the Colt's site to check the chart and he's even third behind Bond at center.  Also they have Wilson listed on the 2nd.team at CB.   I have a feeling we are going to be really active on cutdown day.  BTW does anyone know if are we allowed to put players on the practice squad without having to worry about them being claimed?  At least on the initial makeup of the roster.  After that they can be.  I ask because it appears we have a young placekicker who is doing great on field goals and Vinateri isn't getting any younger. 

3 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

You do realize Ballard was on record stating he feels that Good & Heag will end up being solid tackles for the Colts right?

https://www.colts.com/news/chris-ballard-on-luck-s-progression-hooker-s-preseason-debut-standout-rookies-an

"we have Joe Haeg and (Denzelle) Good who we think can develop into solid right tackles."

There is a context issue here.  Ballard made that statement in reference to how he processed his decisions of 2017.  He may still feel that way but he did not specifically say so in 2018 context...and he went out and signed a starter level stop gap at RT when those players are entering year 3 and 4 of their development in 2018.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We'll see, but we are really thin at OT and AC isnt getting any younger

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

It’s not surprising to me, but I’m surprised no one has said anything about John Simon not being a starter at  DE opposite Sheard. He’s listed 2nd string behind him though.

Thats been the case all throughout camp

4 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Thanks....   I appreciate the reminder.  I’ll just say I’ll believe it when I see it.

I hope Ballard is right...   I’m just a little skeptical. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He’s not even 30.

We drafted AC the year before we drafted Luck — 2011.

He’s not that old...

And his contract expires in 2 years. Do you really wanna be put in a position where we need to compete to resign a 31 year old T? Ballard has already shown hes fine with letting guys walk 

1 hour ago, ztboiler said:

There is a context issue here.  Ballard made that statement in reference to how he processed his decisions of 2017.  He may still feel that way but he did not specifically say so in 2018 context...and he went out and signed a starter level stop gap at RT when those players are entering year 3 and 4 of their development in 2018.

It wa  an interview from last week though.  Yes, he was saying that was the basis for his decision when drafting this year and his FA signings. But he did say it, so he must believe it.  He also said "we", which would imply the coaches thoughts on it as well. 

19 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

It wa  an interview from last week though.  Yes, he was saying that was the basis for his decision when drafting this year and his FA signings. But he did say it, so he must believe it.  He also said "we", which would imply the coaches thoughts on it as well. 

Sure it was from last week but when you listen to it in context, he is referencing decisions made for 2017 draft and free agency based on beliefs held at that time...it’s possible that those beliefs are the same in 2018, but that is neither stated nor implied in the context of the interview.

25 minutes ago, CR91 said:

And his contract expires in 2 years. Do you really wanna be put in a position where we need to compete to resign a 31 year old T? Ballard has already shown hes fine with letting guys walk 

I understand.

I’m happy to compete IF AC shows he’s worth it.    And my hunch is, he will.

At some point Ballard will gave a lot if money to spend.   If he thinks AC still has tread on the tires then Ballard will try to re-sign him.   

5 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Sure it was from last week but when you listen to it in context, he is referencing decisions made for 2017 draft and free agency based on beliefs held at that time...it’s possible that those beliefs are the same in 2018, but that is neither stated nor implied in the context of the interview.

Also, in his press conference this morning Frank was asked if Denzelle Good was possible for LT after Castonzo. and Frank said he was in the mix and then proceeded to shower compliments about his intelligence, movement, size and strength. It was asked about 5 minutes into the press conference. I honestly think Good has/had a shot at being the starter. His play last year(when he did play because he was injured for 1/2 the season) was top notch.  Was more impressive later in the season.  His biggest downfall is that he seems to get injured a lot.

11 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Also, in his press conference this morning Frank was asked if Denzelle Good was possible for LT after Castonzo. and Frank said he was in the mix and then proceeded to shower compliments about his intelligence, movement, size and strength. It was asked about 5 minutes into the press conference. I honestly think Good has/had a shot at being the starter. His play last year(when he did play because he was injured for 1/2 the season) was top notch.  Was more impressive later in the season.  His biggest downfall is that he seems to get injured a lot.

Very different context from a very different interview and I agree with you on all of it.  But...an interview with a coach about players in the current competitive mix usually sounds just about like what Reich said.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ztboiler said:

Haeg hasn't put on a "listed" pound since he got here. He can't anchor at the required level, and never will at 305.
 Good has some ability, but lacks quickness to be more than mediocre.

Neither one of these guys are what i want as quality backups with future starter ability.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

If he is still a top LT sure why not.  He would be worth it especially when we are SB contender.

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

Thats been the case all throughout camp

I’m aware. I just find it interesting considering how Ballard said they were confident he was a fit in the 4-3. Him not being a starter says otherwise. He might better off as a rotational piece then an every down lineman.

CB depth chart is difficult to read because you have outside CB and slot CB, and you have 2 separate depth charts listed. Hairston, I expect to be our starting slot CB, but his name is listed after Kenny Moore, that is why I am not reading much into this, to be honest.