Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Had Andrew Luck Lived up to Expectations?

tucky89

Has Luck lived up to the "Expectations"? Remember he was touted as being the " Next Elway" coming out of Stanford. He was the next " Big thing". 

Awful OL lines, unspectacular coaching, & injuries have all impacted his career to this point. It's not all on him. I wanna make that clear.

How do you judge and/or analyze Luck's career to this point?

2 hours ago, tucky89 said:

Has Luck lived up to the "Expectations"? Remember he was touted as being the " Next Elway" coming out of USC. He was the next " Big thing". 

Awful OL lines, unspectacular coaching, & injuries have all impacted his career to this point. It's not all on him. I wanna make that clear.

He has not. Luck has been somewhat of a disappointment so far, although a lot of it has been out of his control. His hype has much outweighed the reality of how good he actually is so far. I realize the team has been horrible around him, but when the hype is that you will be the next John Elway (a top 5 QB of all time), and you are following in the footsteps of Peyton Manning (possibly the greatest QB of all time as he is taking another team to the SB twice after leaving Indy), it's definitely underwhelming to see we're back to square one almost and Luck is now 7 years older with very few improvements to the team in 2012 and to Luck himself as a player.

Grigson and Pagano were horrible for this team, and Grigson's inability to get proper O-Line help around Luck (he got help, most just busted), and Pagano's inability to coach, got Luck injured early and often, and neither did any favors to improve the team either and help Luck or the Colts long term.

However, compared to the hype, Luck has been underwhelming. He has not been anywhere close to Elway or Manning at this point. He is probably a top 10 QB in the league at this point until he shows he can be elite this year when he returns. We have a chance to win a SB with Andrew Luck, but it's going to be difficult, and Luck sure doesn't do it like Manning or Elway. He seems to make every game a close one, and hopefully with Ballard at the helm and a new coaching staff, he can start to dominate like Manning and Elway did in their heyday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's a Yes and a No to this question. It's No if people in here expected a SB Title in his first 5 seasons. He has actually only played 5 seasons as he was injured and did not play his 6th being last season. It's a Yes if you go by his Win-Loss record and the way he has carried the team when he has been healthy. Had he been drafted by Seattle like Russell Wilson was, I think Luck would already have 2 SB wins, JMO. With our team he has made a Title Game which is Very Good but he hasn't been able to get past the Pats but hardly nobody beats the Pats not even Big Ben has beaten them in the Playoffs. I don't think not being able to beat the Pats should be held him against him considering the teams and Coach he has had. Remember it took Peyton 9 seasons before he could by the Pats and win a SB. 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's a Yes and a No to this question. It's No if people in here expected a SB Title in his first 5 seasons. He has actually only played 5 seasons as he was injured and did not play his 6th being last season. It's a Yes if you go by his Win-Loss record and the way he has carried the team when he has been healthy. Had he been drafted by Seattle like Russell Wilson was, I think Luck would already have 2 SB wins, JMO. With our team he has made a Title Game which is Very Good but he hasn't been able to get past the Pats but hardly nobody beats the Pats not even Big Ben has beaten them in the Playoffs. I don't think not being able to beat the Pats should be held him against him considering the teams and Coach he has had. Remember it took Peyton 9 seasons before he could by the Pats and win a SB. 

To follow this up, Andrew Luck has a 43-27 record as a starter and he has 3 Playoff wins. If I am not mistaken he already has more Playoff wins than Tony Romo had in his whole career. I believe Tony only had 2 and Tony was Very Good. He also has more Playoff wins than QB's like Derek Carr and Kirk Cousins who people constantly brag about saying how Great they are. There were some people that thought RG3 should've been the pick so compared to RG3, Luck is looking pretty good about now. RG3 is done already. 

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To follow this up, Andrew Luck has a 43-27 record as a starter and he has 3 Playoff wins. If I am not mistaken he already has more Playoff wins than Tony Romo had in his whole career. I believe Tony only had 2 and Tony was Very Good. He also has more Playoff wins than QB's like Derek Carr and Kirk Cousins who people constantly brag about saying how Great they are. There were some people that thought RG3 should've been the pick so compared to RG3, Luck is looking pretty good about now. RG3 is done already. 

You are comparing Luck to the wrong people. These are average QBs with no hype. Romo was undrafted. Carr was a 2nd rounder, Cousins was a 4th rounder in the same class as Luck, and he could very easily win a SB before him on the Vikings now. RG3 is a decent one, but very few people thought he should go before Luck. 

The two names that Luck has been compared to are John Elway, and being Peyton Manning's successor. So far, he's been nowhere close. Elway made 3 SB's his first 7 years as a QB for the Broncos. Manning was a couple years away from his first SB victory, but he was dominating the league yearly at the time, and we always had a shot, we don't even have that with Luck at the moment. 

I get that Grigson and Pagano ruined him, but Luck had a lot of faults that he has yet to improve to this day. He isn't a perfect QB at all, even if you take the team out of it. He falls behind in games, he causes a lot of turnovers, and it's a struggle a lot in games for him to do basic things like slide, throw the ball away, accuracy issues etc... He's very fallable and IMO, he hasn't lived up to the hype. Lets hope he can with a second chance, and a new coaching staff and GM to lead the way.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You are comparing Luck to the wrong people. These are average QBs with no hype. Romo was undrafted. Carr was a 2nd rounder, Cousins was a 4th rounder in the same class as Luck, and he could very easily win a SB before him on the Vikings now. RG3 is a decent one, but very few people thought he should go before Luck. 

The two names that Luck has been compared to are John Elway, and being Peyton Manning's successor. So far, he's been nowhere close. Elway made 3 SB's his first 7 years as a QB for the Broncos. Manning was a couple years away from his first SB victory, but he was dominating the league yearly at the time, and we always had a shot, we don't even have that with Luck at the moment. 

I get that Grigson and Pagano ruined him, but Luck had a lot of faults that he has yet to improve to this day. He isn't a perfect QB at all, even if you take the team out of it. He falls behind in games, he causes a lot of turnovers, and it's a struggle a lot in games for him to do basic things like slide, throw the ball away, accuracy issues etc... He's very fallable and IMO, he hasn't lived up to the hype. Lets hope he can with a second chance, and a new coaching staff and GM to lead the way.

Of course Romo, Carr, and Cousins aren't Elway or Peyton. I will give you that Luck hasn't lived up to Elway or Peyton yet. Having said that, the 3 names I did compare him too all have been Very Good and Great at times. Romo was 78-49 in his career, after Carr won 12 games 2 years ago the media was putting him in the Top 5 QB's in the league. Cousins threw for nearly 5000 Yards 2 years ago and the Vikings are giving him huge money. IMO it really doesn't matter where those guys were drafted because not every GM gets it right when it comes to the Draft. Looking at it now, Cousins should've been the 3rd QB drafted in the Luck draft only behind Luck and Wilson. Tom Brady got drafted in the 6th Round and he is known as the GOAT by most.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Of course Romo, Carr, and Cousins aren't Elway or Peyton. I will give you that Luck hasn't lived up to Elway or Peyton yet. Having said that, the 3 names I did compare him too all have been Very Good and Great at times. Romo was 78-49 in his career, after Carr won 12 games 2 years ago the media was putting him in the Top 5 QB's in the league. Cousins threw for nearly 5000 Yards 2 years ago and the Vikings are giving him huge money. IMO it really doesn't matter where those guys were drafted because not every GM gets it right when it comes to the Draft. Looking at it now, Cousins should've been the 3rd QB drafted in the Luck draft only behind Luck and Wilson. Tom Brady got drafted in the 6th Round and he is known as the GOAT by most.

It does matter where they were drafted because we are talking about Luck living up to expectations, and guys drafted rounds later in the draft to going undrafted don't have the same expectations as Luck. If anything, they overachieved and had close to the same production as Luck while Luck has underachieved. If you want to mention Brady, he is the ultimate overachiever.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It does matter where they were drafted because we are talking about Luck living up to expectations, and guys drafted rounds later in the draft to going undrafted don't have the same expectations as Luck. If anything, they overachieved and had close to the same production as Luck while Luck has underachieved. If you want to mention Brady, he is the ultimate overachiever.

I honestly thought it would take Luck at least 5 seasons just to reach a Title Game after he was drafted as we were in total rebuild mode at 2-14. I was thinking 7 seasons for a SB Title was fair. This would be season 7 technically but really only his 6th season. When you bring up Elway and Peyton who both are in my Top 5 QB's of all-time.- I have Brady, Montana, Peyton, Unitas, and Elway - that is my 5. Elway didn't win a SB until the end of his career and it took Peyton 9 seasons to do so. You can say Elway made 3 SB's in his 1st 7 seasons but the AFC was weak back then. The NFC was far superior unlike over the last decade where the AFC has been strong because of the Pats and Steelers. Not making excuses but I highly doubt Elway makes the SB playing in the NFC back in the 80's. Everytime he made it his teams got creamed. Losing to the Giants 39-20, Redskins 42-10, and 49ers 55-10 = that is nothing to brag about.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I honestly thought it would take Luck at least 5 seasons just to reach a Title Game after he was drafted and we were in total rebuild mode at 2-14. I was thinking 7 years for a SB Title was fair. This would be year 7 technically but really only his 6th season. When you bring up Elway and Peyton who both are in my Top 5 QB's of all-time. I have Brady, Montana, Peyton, Unitas, and Elway - that is my 5. Elway didn't win a SB until the end of his career and it took Peyton 9 seasons to do so. You can say Elway made 3 SB's in his 1st 7 seasons but the AFC was weak back then. The NFC was far superior unlike over the last decade where the AFC has been strong because of the Pats and Steelers. Not making excuses but I highly doubt Elway makes the SB playing in the NFC back in the 80's. Everytime he made it his teams got creamed. Losing to the Giants 39-20, Redskins 42-10, and 49ers 55-10 = that is nothing to brag about.

It is actually a big thing to brag about, making 3 SBs in 7 years, despite getting creamed. 99% of QBs would love to have that on their resume. I would be extremely happy if Luck did that, because I would know he's capable of making the SB every year, and making 3 at this point would be worth the ride and the hype. It's been very frustrating since 2015 seeing how this team has gone downhill. Unfortunately, we also realized around that point that Grigson couldn't draft well, and Pagano was a poor coach. 

Luckily, there's still time for us to get a SB or two for Indy and Luck. Lets hope we can turn it around! I think 3 years is a fair timeframe to at least get there from here on out. Wouldn't you say?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It is actually a big thing to brag about, making 3 SBs in 7 years, despite getting creamed. 99% of QBs would love to have that on their resume. I would be extremely happy if Luck did that, because I would know he's capable of making the SB every year, and making 3 at this point would be worth the ride and the hype. It's been very frustrating since 2015 seeing how this team has gone downhill. Unfortunately, we also realized around that point that Grigson couldn't draft well, and Pagano was a poor coach. 

Luckily, there's still time for us to get a SB or two for Indy and Luck. Lets hope we can turn it around! I think 3 years is a fair timeframe to at least get there from here on out. Wouldn't you say?

Yes 3 seasons is very fair starting now. If in 3 seasons we don't get to a SB then I can see cause for concern. That would be the 2020 Season. It will take this season just to improve and the springs of 2019 and 2020 to complete the rebuild = 2 more Drafts and 2 more Free Agency's. 

-I wasn't trying to poo poo Elway making 3 SB's in 7 seasons, that is impressive but I don't think he would've done that playing in the NFC was my main point. Unfortunately for us we have had the Pats blocking us in the AFC = 2013 and 2014 who are perhaps the best dynasty ever.

• Like 1

I say he has lived up to the hype. If you look at just Luck you can see this (of course it's very difficult as this is a team sport), but TBH the team around him since he got here in 2012 has been just awful. We have never given him an O-line, never given him a running game, never given him more than 1 good WR, and never given him a defense that can hold a win if the Offense can put up 30 points.

If you sit back and look at what Luck has done, and who he's done it with you can really see that he is probably a top 3 QB in the league right now, if not the best.

I know some like to measure QB's with stats like "wins" or "SB titles" but, that is just not realistic. Football is a team sport, and the team around Andrew is the reason he was injured last season, and they are 100% holding him back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

unfortunately we won't win a super bowl until we can beat the patriots. they are always standing in the way

So far in Luck's career FWIW:

*He set the rookie record for most Passing Yards = 4374 (it's still a record).

*He is one of only 8 QB's in NFL history to throw for 40 or more TD's in one season. He threw for 40 in 2014.

*He has a career Regular Season record of 43-27 as a starter = he wins 61.4% of his starts which = his teams will usually go 10-6 on average.

*He has 3 Playoff wins including a AFC Title Game appearance.

*He has compiled all of this while having no Run game and a Bad O.Line his whole career. + An Average Coach, Chuck wasn't Bad but he was only Average, so he was far from Good to Great.

-My Final grade so far for Luck in his career = B+ IMO. He isn't Great yet but has been Very Good overall. He just needs to stay healthy now.

• Like 4

He took a 2-14 team in full rebuild to the playoffs at 11-5 his first three years with 3 playoff wins while becoming the best 4th Q closer in the game.  

Ya, He’s lived up to all rational expectations.  I don’t think any number 1 pick QB has ever done these things out of the gate with the recipe he inherited.  

2nd act TBD.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

He took a 2-14 team in full rebuild to the playoffs at 11-5 his first three years with 3 playoff wins while becoming the best 4th Q closer in the game.  

Ya, He’s lived up to all rational expectations.  I don’t think any number 1 pick QB has ever done these things out of the gate with the recipe he inherited.  

2nd act TBD.

I should've added that to his resume above. That he took a 2-14 team to 11-5 with really only 1 Great Offensive Vet on the team to help him in Reggie. The media had us ranked 32 going into that season and most had us winning 4 or 5 games LOL. Luck put the wrath on them!

To expect him to be the next Manning was always a fallacy. Hype is the enemy of reason, leading to bitter disappointment. I’ve been bitten by the hype bug way too often, the last case was a certain offensive coordinator. Lesson learned.

I try to enjoy Andrew for who he is and isn’t. 

• Like 1

No. Not even close. He was Way, Way Overhyped. 

Touted as Best prospect since Elway, he's not even the most successful QB in his Draft class. 

Wilson multiple SB's and a ring. Foles with a ring. And Cousins has prospered more than Luck in last few years. Its a big season coming up for Cousins, now with a good organization tp see how good he is.

What I'd like to see from Luck this season is First of course be healrhy and stay healthy. But also a more cerebral qb at the lime of scrimmage. Having better pre-snap reads and being more decisive early in play knowing which receiver to target. Also better understanding of what the defense is showing will lead to more audibles and getting to a better play than was originally called. He so far rarely audibles is what I heard.

Also be more of a leader instead of a good team-mate, good soldier. Have more input in gameplans. Get on team-mates when they continually mess up instead of patting them on the back and taking the blame himself. 

Its been 3 seasons since he's led his team to a winning record and not expected this season as well. This hopefully chamges soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You can make a case for yes and no.

But he is a pretty damn good QB and we are very lucky (no pun intended lol) that we got him just 2 years after Peyton left. There are many teams in the NFL who would take him in a heartbeat. 

I don't know if that answers your question OP, but its the best answer I could come up with.

• Like 1

Look at it from my perspective. I was born in 1987, I started getting into football more heavily and became a Colts fan when Manning got drafted here. When I see someone that made me a fan of this team go on and have such a prosperous career and become one of the greatest QB's of all time through my teen years and part of my 20s, It becomes a big part of my sports life.

Then I see we are getting the best QB prospect since Elway (and I live in Colorado), I get really excited and am ready for the next golden age of the Colts. The guy that my best friend and I were discussing as a pipe dream for the Colts when Manning had his neck injury. We get him out of sheer luck, he starts off well, and bad thing after bad thing starts happening. Wilson and Foles win rings before him, Cousins may as well, and Luck is now 29 and we are back to square one.

Needless to say, Luck did not hold up to my expectations or my previous happiness of when Peyton Manning was on the team when I was growing up as a teenager and young adult.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

No. Not even close. He was Way, Way Overhyped. 

Touted as Best prospect since Elway, he's not even the most successful QB in his Draft class. 

Wilson multiple SB's and a ring. Foles with a ring. And Cousins has prospered more than Luck in last few years. Its a big season coming up for Cousins, now with a good organization tp see how good he is.

What I'd like to see from Luck this season is First of course be healrhy and stay healthy. But also a more cerebral qb at the lime of scrimmage. Having better pre-snap reads and being more decisive early in play knowing which receiver to target. Also better understanding of what the defense is showing will lead to more audibles and getting to a better play than was originally called. He so far rarely audibles is what I heard.

Also be more of a leader instead of a good team-mate, good soldier. Have more input in gameplans. Get on team-mates when they continually mess up instead of patting them on the back and taking the blame himself. 

Its been 3 seasons since he's led his team to a winning record and not expected this season as well. This hopefully chamges soon.

I agree with some of this but had Russell Wilson been drafted by us and Andrew Luck by the Seahawks, who would've be more successful? I would even say Luck would have 2 Rings and not 1 by now. Wilson gave the Pats SB49 with his bonehead pass from the 1. I don't care what the Coach called, I would've audible and gave the ball to Lynch. So he has won one but also gave one away. I do agree with this, Luck needs to take over more and get on guys for running wrong routes or dropping balls. He is too laid back IMO. Peyton used to get mad when his guys weren't on the same page. I'll bring Elway up again, he never won a SB until he got a Running game. He should thank Terrell Davis every day the rest of his life otherwise he would've ended up like Jim Kelly and Dan Marino. No way Denver wins the SB in 1997 or 98 without Davis. Give Luck a Davis or a Lynch than we would really roll.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Look at it from my perspective. I was born in 1987, I started getting into football more heavily and became a Colts fan when Manning got drafted here. When I see someone that made me a fan of this team go on and have such a prosperous career and become one of the greatest QB's of all time through my teen years and part of my 20s, It becomes a big part of my sports life.

Then I see we are getting the best QB prospect since Elway (and I live in Colorado), I get really excited and am ready for the next golden age of the Colts. The guy that my best friend and I were discussing as a pipe dream for the Colts when Manning had his neck injury. We get him out of sheer luck, he starts off well, and bad thing after bad thing starts happening. Wilson and Foles win rings before him, Cousins may as well, and Luck is now 29 and we are back to square one.

Needless to say, Luck did not hold up to my expectations or my previous happiness of when Peyton Manning was on the team when I was growing up as a teenager and young adult.

29 isn't that old. Peyton won his 1st SB when he was 29 going on 30 that March. I know what you are saying though, Peyton spoiled everyone rotten LOL

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

29 isn't that old. Peyton won his 1st SB when he 29 going on 30 that March. I know what you are saying though, Peyton spoiled everyone rotten LOL

True, but it's not just that, it's also the fact that we were in every game when Peyton played. Even against the Patriots. I haven't felt that way since 2014 with Luck. Hopefully with him getting healthy that feeling will come back. It's definitely taken some of the joy out of Football the last few years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

True, but it's not just that, it's also the fact that we were in every game when Peyton played. Even against the Patriots. I haven't felt that way since 2014 with Luck. Hopefully with him getting healthy that feeling will come back. It's definitely taken some of the joy out of Football the last few years.

Yeah when we are used to winning 12 games in our sleep from 2003-2009 and making SB's and at least winning one, this era hasn't been near as Great. I get what you are saying. Luck has still given us 3 11-5 seasons and 1 long Playoff run so it's been Very Good, just not 03-09. It's time to put up or shutup now in the Luck era. Luck, if he stays healthy should be able to play at least 7-10 more years. QBs now days play until way into their 30's. Heck Tommy is trying for 45 lmao 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Roster for roster, coach for coach, and GM for GM Manning has had it better in his tenure in Indy than Luck has had, and it's not even close.  IMO, your Manning idolization has completely clouded any judgement you may have on Luck.

• Like 1

If you just answer the direct question, Jared and LJPalmbeacher hit the nail on the head.  Yes he has great potential and has played great at times but there is no way you can say he has lived up to expectations.   

I do think he can meet those expectations for the remainder of his career but at this point the answer is clear.

His expectations may have been absurd but that isn't the point of the question either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, aaron11 said:

remember it took elway a long time to win a championship himself, and he probably would have never won if not for TD

Yes, but Elway also made 3 SBs in his first 7 years. Luck has made 0 so far. He is way behind Elway's pace, and Elway ended up making 5 and winning 2. Luck being compared to Elway at this point is definitely hype.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree with some of this but had Russell Wilson been drafted by us and Andrew Luck by the Seahawks, who would've be more successful? I would even say Luck would have 2 Rings and not 1 by now. Wilson gave the Pats SB49 with his bonehead pass from the 1. I don't care what the Coach called, I would've audible and gave the ball to Lynch. So he has won one but also gave one away. I do agree with this, Luck needs to take over more and get on guys for running wrong routes or dropping balls. He is too laid back IMO. Peyton used to get mad when his guys weren't on the same page. I'll bring Elway up again, he never won a SB until he got a Running game. He should thank Terrell Davis every day the rest of his life otherwise he would've ended up like Jim Kelly and Dan Marino. No way Denver wins the SB in 1997 or 98 without Davis. Give Luck a Davis or a Lynch than we would really roll.

I also agree with some of what you say. Elway did lead broncos to super bowls but was over matched by superior nfc teams. The 2 rings he got was at end of his career had more to do with TD than Elway. 

Also had Luck been drafted by say seahawks/steelers/broncos etc... he probably would have been to multiple SB's.

But OP's topic was has he lived up to expectations of being best prospect since Elway?

My answer is No.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tucky89 said:

Has Luck lived up to the "Expectations"? Remember he was touted as being the " Next Elway" coming out of USC. He was the next " Big thing". 

Luck came from Stanford, not USC...