Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Big Grover doin Work

JRnINDY

13 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

This is Al Woods main competition. If Grover comes in with the pads on and performs, that could make keeping a Roches-Nunez or Hassan Ridgeway more palatable as backups....

He’s as big, faster, younger, and cheaper than Woods.  I’d say the writing is on the wall for big Al.  

• Thanks 1

I think we will keep Stewart and Woods. Ballard said he wants to attack in waves of 8 to 9 defensive linemen. 

I think the 8 will be;

Sheard

Autry

Woods

Simon/McCain

Basham

Turay

Ridgeway

Tyquan Lewis

If there is a 9th guy I think it will be one of Margus Hunt, Nunez Rochez, Simon, or McCain.

I was against the idea that Simon would be cut but I think McCain is good enough to win that battle and he's got the ideal size the staff is looking for. Plus he had 5-6 sacks last year in limited work. This all assumes McCain beats the assault accusations. I think the staff acknowledges Simon is undersized, but they know he can rush the passer. To compensate for that they brought in McCain who was more productive than Simon along with having ideal size. And the mindset is "May the best man win". Whoever wins the competition is the one who stays. 

• Like 2

Grover was drafted as a small school project and I didn't expect much from him last year. I want to see some flashes and more consistency this year... this is the time for him to shine, especially since we don't really have much of a high end competition on the interior of the line. His athleticism for his size is great... lets see if a year with NFL coaching has helped him with his technique and strength/power... 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2018 at 5:02 PM, CR91 said:

Nice job shredding, but that guy is half his size

The point of the drill is not to see how far or if he can toss him, it's getting the timing down on when to do it. 

As Reggie White showed NFL fans for years, if you time it right it doesn't matter if the guy across from you is bigger or stronger, if you time that hook correctly you can throw anyone.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2018 at 8:43 AM, krunk said:

I think we will keep Stewart and Woods. Ballard said he wants to attack in waves of 8 to 9 defensive linemen. 

I think the 8 will be;

Sheard

Autry

Woods

Simon/McCain

Basham

Turay

Ridgeway

Tyquan Lewis

If there is a 9th guy I think it will be one of Margus Hunt, Nunez Rochez, Simon, or McCain.

I was against the idea that Simon would be cut but I think McCain is good enough to win that battle and he's got the ideal size the staff is looking for. Plus he had 5-6 sacks last year in limited work. This all assumes McCain beats the assault accusations. I think the staff acknowledges Simon is undersized, but they know he can rush the passer. To compensate for that they brought in McCain who was more productive than Simon along with having ideal size. And the mindset is "May the best man win". Whoever wins the competition is the one who stays. 

Yes....   Ballard has talked. About attacking in waves of 8 or 9....

But....

Those numbers are for the game day roster of 47.    The number he has used for the 53 man roster has been 9-10 players.   So there may be room for more guys.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes....   Ballard has talked. About attacking in waves of 8 or 9....

But....

Those numbers are for the game day roster of 47.    The number he has used for the 53 man roster has been 9-10 players.   So there may be room for more guys.

Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

I think we’re returning to the Booger McFarland version of our 4-3 DL.  That is, one big, run-stuffing NT (Woods and Stewart) sitting next to a quick, undersized DT (Autry and Lewis).  Ridgeway and Numez-Roches seem to be somewhere in between, which make them versatile back-ups for us...

52 minutes ago, Archer said:

I think we’re returning to the Booger McFarland version of our 4-3 DL.  That is, one big, run-stuffing NT (Woods and Stewart) sitting next to a quick, undersized DT (Autry and Lewis).  Ridgeway and Numez-Roches seem to be somewhere in between, which make them versatile back-ups for us...

I think (or at least hope) they only do that in obvious passing situations.  For the base defense I'd much rather see 2 big guys in the middle.

38 minutes ago, J@son said:

I think (or at least hope) they only do that in obvious passing situations.  For the base defense I'd much rather see 2 big guys in the middle.

I agree. Until we can find that 3 down UT that plays the run well and pushes the pocket by beating 1-on-1s he will get from guards or centers most likely, we will have to play it situationally.

Is it just me or do teams not do no-huddle as much as they used to before? You do find more passing on 1st and 2nd downs plus more passing from shotgun and spread formations nowadays but not as much no-huddle. This would allow us to substitute situationally at least. However, we do have to develop that 3 down UT for that 1 or 2 teams that may run the no huddle or adapt fast with A-gap blitzing from LBs to free up the DL from double teams, should we encounter much.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I agree. Until we can find that 3 down UT that plays the run well and pushes the pocket by beating 1-on-1s he will get from guards or centers most likely, we will have to play it situationally.

Is it just me or do teams not do no-huddle as much as they used to before? You do find more passing on 1st and 2nd downs plus more passing from shotgun and spread formations nowadays but not as much no-huddle. This would allow us to substitute situationally at least. However, we do have to develop that 3 down UT for that 1 or 2 teams that may run the no huddle or adapt fast with A-gap blitzing from LBs to free up the DL from double teams, should we encounter much.

I'm guessing the hope is that either Ridgeway or Stewart can become that UT.  That's also why I wasn't really happy about the trade of Henry Anderson.  I'd have liked to have seen him given a year in that role.

• Like 1

Big Grover is strong as an Ox and he can run.  I can't wait to see what he looks like shooting gaps instead of holding up blockers.  I think he's going to do well for us.  My biggest problem with him in year 1 was he'd get penetrate the backfied and the runner would run right past him. He had problems locating the football.  I like some of our options on the DL personally.  I think it's going to be a good young group.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

I think it's because a lot of teams have so many specialty packages or situational personnel packages that it makes running the no huddle tougher.  And even if teams run the no huddle while substituting they still have to give the D time to substitute players.  The ref over the ball waiting to give the QB permission to snap has taken away some of the benefits of running the no huddle.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, J@son said:

I'm guessing the hope is that either Ridgeway or Stewart can become that UT.  That's also why I wasn't really happy about the trade of Henry Anderson.  I'd have liked to have seen him given a year in that role.

Neither was I. I would have liked to see him play that UT role as well. However, that is water under the bridge now, moving forward!!! :) 

On 7/15/2018 at 9:43 AM, krunk said:

I think the 8 will be;

Sheard

Autry

Woods

Simon/McCain

Basham

Turay

Ridgeway

Tyquan Lewis

I think Tomasi Laulile may turn some heads in training camp as an undrafted FA from BYU if he can stay healthy, but imagine he makes practice squad at best.

Otherwise, I think you are pretty spot on.... I don't know if Simon is very well suited as a DE although I like what he did for us at LB last year. 

Hunt also has value on ST's and played pretty well for us last year, so I think I'd give him the edge of Nunez-Rochez if it comes to keeping 9.  

3 hours ago, Savage said:

Ridgeway is the guy I'm most curious about. Dude looked like he was starting to come along nicely towards the end of the season.

I think Ridgeway is very well suited for a 4-3, especially if he's got a big guy like Stewart/Woods eating up blockers next to him.