Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The "Slauson Effect"

DaveA1102

Many on this forum were criticizing the signing as saying Slauson is a washed up old nobody.  We'll see come this fall, but he has generally been a quality starter since coming to the league and the signing was always solid.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Many on this forum were criticizing the signing as saying Slauson is a washed up old nobody.  We'll see come this fall, but he has generally been a quality starter since coming to the league and the signing was always solid.

I agree. He at least has STARTING veteran experience, not a guy who's technically a veteran but has bounced around the league and started a few games, but never saw the field in 80% of the other ones (A Mcglynn type).

it's going to be an interesting training camp on the right side of the line. There are a lot of guys to fill those two right spots and I think that's great we have Slauson who is a proven veteran and we have Smith that's a high draft pick. The right guard position seems pretty secure but I'm curious to see who will actually come out a head and be our Right tackle this season. Lots of players wanting that spot I hope it increases in Talent from last year

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Judging from this article....

If Slauson stays healthy, and his history says he should,  then he will start.   Looks like Howard too.

Will be interesting to see how Smith and Good respond to this challenge.

I thought from reports when AC was practicing he was the starting LT and Good was the starting RT.

I will not be surprised at all to see Good emerge from training camp as the starting RT.  The big question for him is if he can stay healthy.

38 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I thought from reports when AC was practicing he was the starting LT and Good was the starting RT.

I will not be surprised at all to see Good emerge from training camp as the starting RT.  The big question for him is if he can stay healthy.

Nah Howard has that on lock imo unless Good somehow got significantly better since January 

39 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Nah Howard has that on lock imo unless Good somehow got significantly better since January 

Based on what?  Howard is a serviceable RT, whom every team he has played for has decided to move on with other options even though his salary has been relatively low.

Good, on the other hand, has worked his way into the starting lineup the last two years and played while as the starter only to be derailed by injury.  I think the position is Good's to lose and, if the past is any indication, he very well could lose it to injury.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

You could be right....

But I think Howard got a lot of time at first string RT.

I did notice that Irsay said in one interview that he thought Good stood a decent chance of starting, so perhaps that's the plan.   

I was only only responding to the O-line coaches comment about Howard and Slauson from the article.   Perhaps I'm reading too much into it. 

I like Good.   Always have.   Just wish he'd lose more weight and stay healthy.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Based on what?  Howard is a serviceable RT, whom every team he has played for has decided to move on with other options even though his salary has been relatively low.

Good, on the other hand, has worked his way into the starting lineup the last two years and played while as the starter only to be derailed by injury.  I think the position is Good's to lose and, if the past is any indication, he very well could lose it to injury.

In camp Howard got most of the first team reps next to Slausen. There’s a big difference being an OL starter for the ravens/raiders and being a starter for the colts. He’s been a starter most of his career on good lines. He’s never been great but he is an average starter, something the colts haven’t consistently had in years. An average OL would be a major upgrade from what we’ve had 

6 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

it's going to be an interesting training camp on the right side of the line. There are a lot of guys to fill those two right spots and I think that's great we have Slauson who is a proven veteran and we have Smith that's a high draft pick. The right guard position seems pretty secure but I'm curious to see who will actually come out a head and be our Right tackle this season. Lots of players wanting that spot I hope it increases in Talent from last year

These are my favorite problems to have!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

In camp Howard got most of the first team reps next to Slausen. There’s a big difference being an OL starter for the ravens/raiders and being a starter for the colts. He’s been a starter most of his career on good lines. He’s never been great but he is an average starter, something the colts haven’t consistently had in years. An average OL would be a major upgrade from what we’ve had 

To the first part, he got first team reps when Good was playing LT.  When AC was at practice Good was getting first team reps at RT.

To the 2nd part, not really, neither the Raiders nor the Ravens had stellar olines when he was there and both teams thought they would get the same production from younger, cheaper guys.

Yes he's been an average starter.  Good has been good as a starter at RT, the only thing that has stopped him has been injuries.

I think just about everyone agrees from L - R on the first 3 starters: Castonzo, Nelson, and Kelly. 

RG could be Mewhort, Slauson, or Smith. I would say barring injury Mewhort should be favored, although that's not to be taken for granted.

RT could be Howard, Haeg, or Good. I would imagine Howard will enter as the favorite to start, but not by a landslide by any means. 

One thing that's obvious, is that not only has our starting line gotten better, but also our depth is better. I've just mentioned 9 names here, 6 of which are gunning for 2 starting spots. 

I believe the interior of our line looks super promising for several years to come and that for the '18 season, our situation at tackle should be good enough to succeed (provided Castonzo can stay reasonably healthy.) Long term we may well need another tackle, but I like the roster of this O-line the best of any that Luck has had to work with. I expect them to improve as the season goes along, too.  

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

To the 2nd part, not really, neither the Raiders nor the Ravens had stellar olines when he was there and both teams thought they would get the same production from younger, cheaper guys.

Yes he's been an average starter.  Good has been good as a starter at RT, the only thing that has stopped him has been injuries.

You’re kidding right? 2 years ago the raiders had a top 3 OL. Good has never been an average starter in the league. He’s always been below average but is serviceable. Check his pff rating. He might be able to start on 3-5 teams in the league while Howard would probably start on half the teams. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Yes, but what about the Cole Slawson effect?

Coleslaw-Recipe-1-1200.jpg

Eh?  Not that appetizing by itself, right?  But once you add it to an already meaty sandwich like Castonzo/Nelson/Kelly...

pulled_pork_cole_slaw_sandwich.jpg.495x0

Now we're talking.  We add those pickles (aka RT Howard), to this meal...

IMG_5533.jpg

KAIb1.gif

MMmmmmmmm!!! 

Primanti Bros in Pittsburgh (strip disctrict) puts cole slaw on their sandwiches and I'm not even a big slaw fan, but it brings it to the next level!! 

17 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

You’re kidding right? 2 years ago the raiders had a top 3 OL. Good has never been an average starter in the league. He’s always been below average but is serviceable. Check his pff rating. He might be able to start on 3-5 teams in the league while Howard would probably start on half the teams. 

raiders had a top line if you look at sacks only.  They had 44 penalties from the line, gave up quite a bit of pressure and their running game was feast or famine.

Also let's look at the sacks.  Two years ago the Raiders oline gave up 9 sacks (great number) 5 of those sacks were given up by Howard.  He has given up 12 sacks in the last three years and 35 sacks in 92 career games.

Ahh, PFF rating.  I guess this conversation is over.

19 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Remember Good was tried at G and RT when he was a rookie.   It was only until last year when they decided to have him compete for the RT job and he won it over Haag, Clark and everyone else.  He was the starter at RT until his injury and was starting to settle into the spot until his injury.  I think he still has tremendous upside if he can stay healthy and if he can stay healthy he could win the spot again.  

On 6/28/2018 at 10:28 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

raiders had a top line if you look at sacks only.  They had 44 penalties from the line, gave up quite a bit of pressure and their running game was feast or famine.

Also let's look at the sacks.  Two years ago the Raiders oline gave up 9 sacks (great number) 5 of those sacks were given up by Howard.  He has given up 12 sacks in the last three years and 35 sacks in 92 career games.

Ahh, PFF rating.  I guess this conversation is over.

What I heard and read was that Slauson was running with the first string during camp, but Jim Irsay still said the Colts hope Good will win the spot. Here's an artcile that says that. http://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/colts-offensive-line-must-move-year-forget

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:24 AM, DaveA1102 said:

Nice article from Andrew Walker on the Colts new RG:

https://www.colts.com/news/the-slauson-effect-is-already-being-felt-along-the-colts-offensive-line

Interesting to note that he is the 2nd oldest player on the roster (only younger than the :goat:).  He notes how he was surprised to find that out, but that he is embracing that veteran role.

My favourite quote:

“I definitely don’t feel old, but apparently I am,” he said with a smile. “But no, I embrace that side of things. I like helping out young guys, because I know what it was like to be in their shoes and how difficult this game can be. So if I can help in any way, I love doing that.” 

I hadn't realised he started 108 out of 111 games he played in during his 10 year career.  Lots of experience to pass onto the young guys.

Not sure about the look he was rocking but, if I had legs that size, I might be showing them off as well! haha

image.thumb.png.e74feaa3cecdc527093727ea0131c79c.png

Really nice article from Walker giving an insight into the man himself and his position as a leader on this new O-line that has the potential to be an integral part of the coming year.

:colts:

I'm just loving the fact it isn't a thong!!!

4 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

What I heard and read was that Slauson was running with the first string during camp, but Jim Irsay still said the Colts hope Good will win the spot. Here's an artcile that says that. http://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/colts-offensive-line-must-move-year-forget

Read it again.....

It says they hope Smith (the rookie guard) wins the starting guard spot where Slauson is...   and Good wins the starting right tackle spot where Howard is...

Smith is behind Slauson.

Good is behind Howard.

I'm really happy about the (apparent) depth along the OL going into this season... We have so many young, talented guys, that it will be a bit of a let down (for me) if Slauson gets a starting spot. 

That being said, I am really impressed that Ballard has gotten us into a position where our fall back options are as good as Slauson and Howard. I would love to see Smith and Clark win the spots on the right side, but, of course, I want to see the best 5 out there every week.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

I'm really happy about the (apparent) depth along the OL going into this season... We have so many young, talented guys, that it will be a bit of a let down (for me) if Slauson gets a starting spot. 

That being said, I am really impressed that Ballard has gotten us into a position where our fall back options are as good as Slauson and Howard. I would love to see Smith and Clark win the spots on the right side, but, of course, I want to see the best 5 out there every week.

Irsay said he is hoping for Smith and Good on the right side.  I think those two will be our starters assuming no injuries.  I think the younger guys win out unless they are completely outplayed by Slauson and Howard.  It looks like Clark is way down the depth chart and probably is in trouble.  

• Like 1

On 6/27/2018 at 2:30 PM, Luck 4 president said:

Well, he's probably the best RT we had on this team since we had a healthy Cherilus. Good thing about this signing it wasn't for $35 million dollars.