Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defensive Backs

Scott Pennock

I read that Hairston was getting most of his reps as a boundary corner and at 6'0" & 195 that seems more likely where he ends up long term. He played well in the slot last year but all the film on him at Temple he played LCB.

Meanwhile, Kenny Moore was playing mostly in the slot and with his 4.47 speed and 6.86 3-Cone drill (and his 5'9" stature) seems more of a likely fit. That is above average speed and lateral agility - much needed at that position. Plus, he played mainly FS at Valdosta State so he's comfortable playing in space it would seem.

Quincy Wilson right now is an enigma, we saw great insticts and ability to be an outstanding RCB in this league - but just enough to tease us. He is still the likely starter at RCB.

Pierre Desir showed out when he had a chance as well. Should make for excellent spot starter/depth.

That is 4 talented corners that showed they can play in this league.....perhaps that is why that position was not addressed in this years draft, because the Staff believed in starting talent and chose to just add depth through UDFA's and the Waiver Wire...

Same thing applies to the Safety's.....we have 3 quality starters in Hooker, Geathers and Farley. Additionally there is an uber talented 23 year old in Green that *could* turn that talent into ability as he improved last year and will likely improve more this year as well. I understand.....injury concerns for Hooker and Geathers....

They brought in a couple UDFA's, one of which has balled out in Odum and they CHOSE not to sign Boston or Vaccaro - who are both talented and would have upgraded the roster.

Also consider they have stockpiled WR's (13), Oline (15), Dline (15), and LB's (10)......I just think they believe in the talent they see in the building a lot more than we do as fans on the backside of our defense. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I respectfully disagree with the state of the DBs.  Again....... respectfully..... from what I have seen you are an intelligent poster

The thing is....... we all know that we will go through part of this year with one or more 

of these folks will be injured.

IT JUST SEEMS TO HAPPEN TO THE COLTS

if it were me, there is NO WAY, that i am going in to the season with these DBs alone.

Safety spot

I have very little trust in the abilty of Geathers to stay on the field......... history says that he gets hurt

The coaches are hopeful that Malik can come back 100% by season start......... hopeful

I am hopeful... but HOPE IS NOT A PLAN!!

WHY NOT actually sign Boston (vs letting him come here to play bb) or a "non-kneeling" Ried??????

CBs spot

From my view we have ONE starter at CB, with no real competition in the group. 2 of the 3 could not start for 80% of the league.   the 3 arent proven by a long shot. 

Quincy has a bit of a headcase..........  I think he will do ok, but when you see that he couldnt make it to the field last year on a poor db group........  we shouldnt have 100% trust .... and he is our "fo sure" starter

Many of the defensive packages require 3 CBs.........  what do we do when one (or two) goes down for a stretch

(it will happen)

WHY NOT offer Breeland a 2 year deal?

steps.... that Deano would do......

Step 1 - Move John Simon to SSLB - Today!

- Morrison ?? Glacier speed.......  or a 7th round pick LB??

- Give Simon a shot at SSLB

Step 2 - Sign Breeland 

Step 3 - Sign Reid (or Boston)

IMHO... these 3 steps, with Luck being healthy make this team a top5 AFC team, with a shot to win a playoff game

We are starting on a week long drive accross the country with 3 bald tires.......

I HOPE its ok....... but sheeze

We have cash falling out of our wallet, and coupons for Goodyear......

why not stop and get some dang tires???

We have a BOATLOAD of available cash.........  Why not use 10-20%  of it??????

IMHO I am excited as we have improved or built a solid, group of WRs, OL, DL, TEs, RBs, QB :)  ......... we are WEAK at DBs and LBs

I am sure CB has been waiting for this post, and will immediatly take these steps!!!!  

or not  :)

Deano

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I respectfully disagree with the state of the DBs.  Again....... respectfully..... from what I have seen you are an intelligent poster

The thing is....... we all know that we will go through part of this year with one or more 

if it were me, there is NO WAY, that i am going in to the season with these DBs alone.

Safety spot

I have very little trust in the abilty of Geathers to stay on the field......... history says that he gets hurt

The coaches are hopeful that Malik can come back 100% by season start......... hopeful

WHY NOT actually sign Boston (vs letting him come here to play bb) or a "non-kneeling" Ried??????

CBs spot

From my view we have ONE starter at CB, with no real competition in the group. 2 of the 3 could not start for 80% of the league.   the 3 arent proven by a long shot. 

Quincy has a bit of a headcase..........  I think he will do ok, but when you see that he couldnt make it to the field last year on a poor db group........  we shouldnt have 100% trust .... and he is our "fo sure" starter

Many of the defensive packages require 3 CBs.........  what do we do when one (or two) goes down for a stretch

(it will happen)

IMHO I am excited as we have improved or built a solid, group of WRs, OL, DL, TEs, RBs, QB :)  ......... we are WEAK at DBs and LBs

Step 2 - Sign Breeland 

IMHO... these 3 steps, with Luck being healthy make this team a top5 AFC team, with a shot to win a playoff game

We a starting on a week long drive accross the country with 3 bald tires.......

rant off......

Wilson didn't make the field that much last season because chuck and Ted thought it was a good idea to sit him since he wasn't "mature enough" smh....which was dumb to do anyway but when he was on the field he showed he can be a difference maker on the defense

26 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Wilson didn't make the field that much last season because chuck and Ted thought it was a good idea to sit him since he wasn't "mature enough" smh....which was dumb to do anyway but when he was on the field he showed he can be a difference maker on the defense

As you see, I am saying he is the one that should be ok......

BUT....

CAN be a difference maker and actually BEING a difference maker are 2 differnt things

I think you would agree, that the CB spot, even with Wilson starting is a question (and thin) at best.... right?

I hope it works...... but in a league that is a passing league these days, having ONE CB that could be able to start on another team, where injuries are common, is risky at best.

Our Secondary is indeed a potentially troubling unit.

Our 2 best Safetys can start or be on IR during season. It will. be interesting to see how often Hooker and Geathers are both on the field at the same time.

Our presumed best corner, Quincy, was a healthy scratch half of last season. His best game was in a blizzard vs Buffalo.

Multiple things need to go well, fall in place, just for the whole unit to be decent compared to other teams units.

Maybe it will? We'll see soon enough.

But the potential is there, along with the entire Defense as a Whole to really be a liability.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Maybe it will? We'll see soon enough.

But the potential is there, along with the entire Defense as a Whole to really be a liability.

I think chance to be a liability is a nice way of saying it........it actually has a chance to be a disaster for this team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

BUT....

CAN be a difference maker and actually BEING a difference maker are 2 differnt things

I think you would agree, that the CB spot, even with Wilson starting is a question (and thin) at best.... right?

I hope it works...... but in a league that is a passing league these days, having ONE CB that could be able to start on another team, where injuries are common, is risky at best.

Good posts by you and @Scott Pennock

I think you both have excellent takes.  Our DBs May be adequate but injuries are a valid and likely concern.  

The only thing i want want to add is that the DBs jobs are so dependent on the ability to pressure the QB, which was poor last year.  

I dont care who you have back there, if you give the QB time someone will be open.  

• Like 1

@deano I would love to sign a Breeland or a Reid.

This is the sticking point, one is injured and the others play a position where they likely would not be 'guaranteed' to start when Hooker and Geathers are healthy - so they likely wouldn't sign here anyway.

Injuries do happen and while our depth may not be great, I believe the waiver wire will fix both of those spots.

All those zone corners drafted/signed by man-to-man teams will be on the bubble to be cut - not because they lack talent, but because those Front Offices are dumb and tried to fit square pegs in round holes.

As it stands, when healthy we have 4 starting corners and 3 starting safety's. That is the building point and perhaps we'll get lucky both with health and the waiver wire!??!

• Like 1

I'm really comfortable with our current DB room. I've always believed that as your pass rush goes so goes your secondary. Especially when you're running a cover 2 scheme. If you can't rush the passer, you're going to get shredded in this scheme. I think the pass rush personnel brought in via free agency and the draft is more than capable at getting to the QB. 

4 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I'm really comfortable with our current DB room. I've always believed that as your pass rush goes so goes your secondary. Especially when you're running a cover 2 scheme. If you can't rush the passer, you're going to get shredded in this scheme. I think the pass rush personnel brought in via free agency and the draft is more than capable at getting to the QB. 

I never really touched on that from a scheme perspective, I just remember those 7 players playing well when on the field, especially as rookies in Wilson, Hooker, Moore, and Hairston's cases.

If Sheard, Basham, Turay, Lewis, Simon, Autry and McCain show that they can sack/rush/annoy QB's this season there should be some hurried freeby throws to be picked - even with Skai Moore on the field in those situations as well!

12 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Safety spot

CBs spot

(it will happen)

Step 2 - Sign Breeland 

We are starting on a week long drive accross the country with 3 bald tires.......

I am sure CB has been waiting for this post, and will immediatly take these steps!!!!  

Deano

Very well said Mr. Curtis. I agree that there are a lot of questions and very few answers re both the CB and S positions. I like Desir and Hairston but serious doubts remain about everyone behind them. Wilson especially. And our two supposed starting S’s are coming off major injuries. I agree: grab another CB soon. But wait on the S for a bit. If the injuries remain a problem once TC begins, sign a S too. These two positions are the true Achilles heel for the Colts. 

On 6/23/2018 at 7:00 PM, Scott Pennock said:

I read that Hairston was getting most of his reps as a boundary corner and at 6'0" & 195 that seems more likely where he ends up long term. He played well in the slot last year but all the film on him at Temple he played LCB.

Meanwhile, Kenny Moore was playing mostly in the slot and with his 4.47 speed and 6.86 3-Cone drill (and his 5'9" stature) seems more of a likely fit. That is above average speed and lateral agility - much needed at that position. Plus, he played mainly FS at Valdosta State so he's comfortable playing in space it would seem.

Quincy Wilson right now is an enigma, we saw great insticts and ability to be an outstanding RCB in this league - but just enough to tease us. He is still the likely starter at RCB.

Pierre Desir showed out when he had a chance as well. Should make for excellent spot starter/depth.

That is 4 talented corners that showed they can play in this league.....perhaps that is why that position was not addressed in this years draft, because the Staff believed in starting talent and chose to just add depth through UDFA's and the Waiver Wire...

Same thing applies to the Safety's.....we have 3 quality starters in Hooker, Geathers and Farley. Additionally there is an uber talented 23 year old in Green that *could* turn that talent into ability as he improved last year and will likely improve more this year as well. I understand.....injury concerns for Hooker and Geathers....

They brought in a couple UDFA's, one of which has balled out in Odum and they CHOSE not to sign Boston or Vaccaro - who are both talented and would have upgraded the roster.

Also consider they have stockpiled WR's (13), Oline (15), Dline (15), and LB's (10)......I just think they believe in the talent they see in the building a lot more than we do as fans on the backside of our defense. 

I don’t think I have ever seen Green referred to as uber-talented. He is definitely an uber-athlete...but unfortunately he has yet to show any real NFL skills. 

8 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I don’t think I have ever seen Green referred to as uber-talented. He is definitely an uber-athlete...but unfortunately he has yet to show any real NFL skills. 

In my book, he wont survive this camp

Not a safety, not a CB.........  time to move on

37 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

In my book, he wont survive this camp

Not a safety, not a CB.........  time to move on

I think they should absolutely sign one of the available Ss. Green is not good and I don't see how they can rely on Geathers at this point...and they don't even know if he is going to be ready for TC. It's very fortunate that three legit Ss are still available at this point, so I hope Ballard pulls the trigger.

If Breeland isn't going to happen, I also really hope (and think) they will be active with CBs when cuts happen. There are also a couple CBs I wouldn't mind stealing from PSs if they end up there.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

I think they should absolutely sign one of the available Ss. Green is not good and I don't see how they can rely on Geathers at this point...and they don't even know if he is going to be ready for TC. It's very fortunate that three legit Ss are still available at this point, so I hope Ballard pulls the trigger.

If Breeland isn't going to happen, I also really hope (and think) they will be active with CBs when cuts happen. There are also a couple CBs I wouldn't mind stealing from PSs if they end up there.

Green has yet to play in the new scheme so I see the coaches and Ballard wanting to see that first and also have his ST abilities for the most part. He might do a little better in the new scheme and become a backup the staff trusts. Or he might flame out and be apart of the cutdown.

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Green has yet to play in the new scheme so I see the coaches and Ballard wanting to see that first and also have his ST abilities for the most part. He might do a little better in the new scheme and become a backup the staff trusts. Or he might flame out and be apart of the cutdown.

Who knows if he makes it or not..... at best he is a long shot

IMHO, having ANY level of trust in this guy to be even depth level seems risky to me.

I hope he makes it.......  I just see a lost kid there 

25 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Who knows if he makes it or not..... at best he is a long shot

IMHO, having ANY level of trust in this guy to be even depth level seems risky to me.

I hope he makes it.......  I just see a lost kid there 

I don't disagree. He looked better last year compared to his rookie year. He also seems like a player that can be better when in a simple scheme (like the new one). Let him be fast on the field and cover when needed, but he does not have to think to much!

On 6/24/2018 at 9:43 AM, MikeCurtis said:

BUT....

It's questionable but not as bad as some may think it is....me personally I think wilson is a difference maker on this defense but we shall see

41 minutes ago, a06cc said:

The secondary at this point because health being an issue is very questionable. Once healthy it should be decent. The one factor is our pass rusher though. That will remain my true concern. 

Being and staying healthy is tough for the Colts

We need quality depth. We need someone who has the skills to compete for a starting role here.

Being the first string, as a DB, on the Colts is a low bar

one third to Half of our DBs are bagging groceries if they didnt have the Colts......

In a passing league, with money to splurge, there is little to no risk in bringing in 1-2 DB players. I dont want a 10th round pick from Watsamatta U. I dont want someone who couldnt make the team anywhere else.........

Again..... Love my Colts.... I dont want to sound like some of the whiners that infest the board.

But To me, in my old, feeble mind.... its a no brainer

On 6/24/2018 at 8:20 AM, MikeCurtis said:

Safety spot

CBs spot

(it will happen)

Step 2 - Sign Breeland 

Deano

The WRs, OL, DL, RBs and even the QB position each have more unknowns than the DBs and LBers, so why are those solid positions but the DBs and LBers are weak?  For the CBs the Colts have three guys they all saw playing time and each improved each time they took the field.  The LBers are lead by a veteran, Goode who can play all three LBer positions well, a coveted rookie and a Mike that played extremely well in his two starts last year.  For the safety position the Colts have 3 starting quality safeties.

They are not all superstar players, nor will all of them ever be, but based on last years production, especially at the end of the year, there are quite a few reasons to thing the DBs and LBs will be solid

The oline on the other, other than Howard, I think all the signings/draft were good ones but the possibility of 60% new lineman of the line... huge question mark.

WR, the Colts have 1 WR that has who has caught more than 45 balls in a season and scored more than 4 TDs.  huge question marks.

DL - the hole DL is a question mark.

QB - Signs are looking good for Luck but there is no way that's not a question mark.

RB - the Colts have no RBs that have started an NFL game.  Huge question mark.