Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is the corner you want for the Colts?

Been meaning to ask this....

With our new defense, who is the corner that you think would fit into our system?

I think this is only an OK class of corners,  and even worse I only see one corner who feels like a natural fit for our system...   and that's Iowa's Josh Jackson... 

Otherwise, everything I read is man corner and press corner...

Your thoughts?

• Like 4

Yeah, among those I expect to be there for us starting in the 2nd round, I don’t see any perfect fits.  But I see Carlton Davis as having the most traits we’re looking for.  Not sure how he’ll be in zone coverage, though...

• Like 1

If Ballard is wanting another lanky corner with speed and shutdown ability, Carlton Davis.

If Ballard is wanting a fluid, speedy corner who can run with any WR and makes plays on the ball to counter Wilson on the other side, Donte Jackson

I love both of these corners and would be thrilled with either one. 

Josh Jackson I think fits the best, but I'm not sure he will be there in round 2 and I don't like the value at 6... maybe at 12 or 22 if we trade back? 

I like Isaiah Oliver, Jair Alexander and Mike Hughes if they fall to round 2. And Holton Hill but that's an entirely different conversation with all his red flags that I don't have enough information on to be sure whether he should even be on our boards. 

I like Isaac Yiadom from Boston College and Quenton Meeks for round 3 and later. 

I like some of the more popular guys like Oliver, Josh Jackson, Mike Hughes. But I also like some of the mid tier guys like JC Jackson, Tremon Smith, Greg Stroman, Dane Cruishank. Really like Carlton Davis but hes more of a fit for press.

If you are looking for pure zone fits then Jackson for sure as a first round guy.  Alexander and Carlton Davis as well for 1st or possibly 2nd round guys.  Tarvarus McFadden plays best in zone schemes and is a mid round guy that could be very good.  Tony Brown has great athleticism and could also translate to a good zone fit for a mid round guy.

I will go against the grain and say Oliver looks good but I do not see him as a fit for our zone scheme.  I could be wrong but he is a mirror type.  He is used to press man island coverage and he struggled in any zone scheme.  Not to say he can't learn but for the sake of this conversation he is not a great fit.

4 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

If you are looking for pure zone fits then Jackson for sure as a first round guy.  Alexander and Carlton Davis as well for 1st or possibly 2nd round guys.  Tarvarus McFadden plays best in zone schemes and is a mid round guy that could be very good.  Tony Brown has great athleticism and could also translate to a good zone fit for a mid round guy.

I will go against the grain and say Oliver looks good but I do not see him as a fit for our zone scheme.  I could be wrong but he is a mirror type.  He is used to press man island coverage and he struggled in any zone scheme.  Not to say he can't learn but for the sake of this conversation he is not a great fit.

Oliver was one of the first corners we talked to and he's met with the other zone teams like the Falcons and others.

Just now, krunk said:

Oliver was one of the first corners we talked to and he's met with the other zone teams like the Falcons and others.

You are going to meet with many prospects, that does not mean anything.  Ballard could have talked to him about his knowledge to see how quick he might learn, you never know.  I am just saying, he has tape showing his struggles on zone versus man

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Been meaning to ask this....

With our new defense, who is the corner that you think would fit into our system?

I think this is only an OK class of corners,  and even worse I only see one corner who feels like a natural fit for our system...   and that's Iowa's Josh Jackson... 

Otherwise, everything I read is man corner and press corner...

Your thoughts?

Absolutely agree. Not only is Josh Jackson a great fit, he is also the best CB in the draft IMO. Very good ball hawk, and would work excellent with Hooker and Wilson. If he fell to the 20s, I'd trade two 2nd's for him. He's that good.

17 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

You are going to meet with many prospects, that does not mean anything.  Ballard could have talked to him about his knowledge to see how quick he might learn, you never know.  I am just saying, he has tape showing his struggles on zone versus man

Why would they have even wasted the time?   Along with all the other zone teams that wasted it too if they didn't see a fit at all? 

For the Tampa 2 zone, you don't need superstar corners. Look at our last super bowl winning team. They need to be fast and tall, but we don't need to spend another high pick for a shutdown corner. Those picks are needed for WR, OL, LB, DE and maybe a partner for Mack.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, krunk said:

Why would they have even wasted the time?   Along with all the other zone teams that wasted it too if they didn't see a fit at all? 

You talk to all the talent possible.  Why have we not talked to Edmunds?  Does that mean we are not drafting him?  Some guys you do not need to talk with, and others you talk to and figure out how they will react playing a different scheme they are not used to.

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

You talk to all the talent possible.  Why have we not talked to Edmunds?  Does that mean we are not drafting him?  Some guys you do not need to talk with, and others you talk to and figure out how they will react playing a different scheme they are not used to.

Obviously I know that, but in the case of Oliver I don't think it's a coincidence that multiple zone teams have spoken with him.   I don't think they are doing that just to be talking. I think they have some reasonable feeling he can do what their scheme requires.  If you don't think he fits then fine.  We agree to disagree.

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

Obviously I know that, but in the case of Oliver I don't think it's a coincidence that multiple zone teams have spoken with him.   I don't think they are doing that just to be talking. I think they have some reasonable feeling he can do what their scheme requires.  If you don't think he fits then fine.  We agree to disagree.

I see it as multiple teams want to talk to him about a scheme he is weak at.  You obviously draft him and hope he becomes a stud.  Right, agree to disagree!  I will be happy with any of Ballard's picks for what it's worth.  I have faith in the guy.

• Like 1

I would defer to you about skills for the different defensive schemes, however I believe we will only be in cover 2/cover3 ~50% of the time.  Seems to me that it would be easier to teach a press cover to play zone than the other way around.  We will need to play man coverage against some teams.

If I had my choice of any of them, I'd want Josh Jackson.  He seems like another ball-hawk that would pair with Hooker to give us a dangerous secondary.

If we're talking about which one I would want at the spot where they'll most likely be drafted, I'd want Carlton Davis.  He'd be a great value for us in the middle-to-late second round.

• Like 1

Really depends on where Ballard wants to pick one.

Isaiah Oliver seems ideal, but he will likely require a second round pick. And there are a lot of good players at other positions that are going in that area that it would be hard to pass on. If Ballard can get a couple more day two picks in a trade back...Oliver becomes my target.

After that, I really like Tarvarus McFadden as a potential day 4 pick (maybe even late 3rd round if they find themselves with a late 3rd round pick). He did have a disappointing 2017 season and ran a slower 40 time than you would hope. But he is 6'2", can jump out of the building...and has shown elite ball skils in the past (8 ints during his sophomore season). Seems like a perfect fit for a zone boundary CB...and he could slip because non-zone teams will be worried about his long speed. I think he definitely needs coaching, which he hasn't received at this point. But if Eberflus can coach him up, he is a steal on day 4.

The third option would be Quenton Meeks on day 4. Another tall, long CB that can jump and would fit better in a zone scheme.