Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading down again.....

needanoline63

2 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

I use firstpick.com and a lot of the drafts I’m doing have all 3 of those guys gone by the time I’m on the clock at 6 so I’ve been doing a lot of trading back. 

I’ve landed Roquan, Denzel, & Edmunds the most

But who is picking barkley, Chubb and Nelson 1-5? 

What about top 3 QB?

33 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

What about top 3 QB?

no guarantee there will be three qbs taken in the top 5.  it could just be darnold and rosen.  giants could take barkley, browns take chubb at 4, and denver takes nelson at 5

we may not get another trade back either.  imo allen and mayfield are not worth giving up a bunch of picks for. 

If we trade back for 12, 22 and 65 (1st pick in the 3rd round) heck yeah I submit that to the league office before the Bills even get off the phone.....

1 - 1 - Andrew Luck

1 - 12

1 - 22

2 - 36

2 - 37

2 - 49

3 - 65

3 - 67

That is 1 Pro Bowl QB and 7 potential 4 star recruits (within the first 67 picks) versus 1 Pro Bowl QB and 1 potential 5 star recruit and 4 potential 4 star recruits - talk about adding a solid base

______________________________________/

Ironically, CB did well with his third day picks last year, no reason to think he couldn't find solid depth and maybe one gem like he did with Hairston!

______________________________________/

That's not counting what CB started last year with Hooker, Wilson, Hairston, Basham, Sanchez, Mack, Stewart, Walker, Moore, Grace, Johnson, Fabiano, Bond, Glowinski, Hogan, Ross, Jacoby Adams, etc.

And the existing solid talent in Geathers, Farley, Castonzo, Kelly, Anderson, Ridgeway, Rogers, Simon, Sheard, TY, Doyle, etc. 

Personally, if we draft well this year with Luck back we're already a Playoff team this season.

1 hour ago, TdungyW/12 said:

What about top 3 QB?

Cleveland sometimes takes Barkley & Chubb

Denver has YET to take a QB in any mock draft I’ve been doing on there. And then sometimes TB trades up to #2 and takes Chubb 

I don’t know if it’s a sign of things to come, but that run on QB’s we’re all expecting doesn’t happen often on the website I use

Darnold always gets drafted though whether it’s #1 or #3 

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

no guarantee there will be three qbs taken in the top 5.  it could just be darnold and rosen.  giants could take barkley, browns take chubb at 4, and denver takes nelson at 5

we may not get another trade back either.  imo allen and mayfield are not worth giving up a bunch of picks for. 

I hope your wrong lol

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Denver has YET to take a QB in any mock draft I’ve been doing on there. And then sometimes TB trades up to #2 and takes Chubb 

I don’t know if it’s a sign of things to come, but that run on QB’s we’re all expecting doesn’t happen often on the website I use

I hope chubb or Nelson is there at 6 and your wrong lol .... but if all goes that way you say I’m down to trade back and get more picks .... say bills and get 2 first rounders 

9 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

we have a roster full of lower draft picks that have not become game changers, dont think we need more to wait a few years to see if they can cut it. take a possible game changer with the pick at 6

Yeah because you rarely find game changers in the 10-15 range in the top half of the first round. 

• Like 1

Forgot to mention Calvin Ridley would be available at that #22 spot as well.  At least based on some of the mocks I've seen.  The first player could be somebody like Landry/Roquan Smith at #12 and then we could take Calvin Ridley at #22.  I don't want to trade out of the #6 spot but if we did Ridley is a possibility with #22.

23 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

I have been playing on that site too. Chubb gets to 6 about 40% of the time to me.

• Like 1

I just read a mock that had the Colts taking Landry and Guice at 12 and 22. While I might have taken Van Der Esch instead of Guice at 22, the concept of that trade down felt pretty good to me. I think there will be some nice talent and potential at RB in the 2nd round. The Colts should have a great draft regardless. 

I'd look at trading down if Nelson and Chubb are both gone.

I know the draft has quite a few OL players, but I don't think any of the really top line ones will be there at #36 so we would need to take one at #22 if we did do this trade down.

I think people who have guys like Wynn or Hernandez coming our way at #36 are going to be disapointed when those guys are gone in the first.

All this trading back is dumbfounding to me.

First of all we haven't a clue if the Colts have been offered a trade down by any team.

We more than likely wont know this till draft day.

IMO Ballard will sit tight till draft day just to see if there is a team he can take advantage of. If not he will make that #6 pick. He has already said there is an impact player who will be there at #6 so I think he will pick the one player who will do that.

It could be Barkley, Chubb or Nelson. If it's any one of those three he more than likely will pick one of those three. For those who think Nelson shouldn't be taken at #6 I say horse feathers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Colts video taped their combine interviews.  That Ex Navy Seal guy is the reason.  He is going over their interviews and you can bet some players will rise or fall on our board.  It might not be who we think, but I'm willing to bet his data comes into play with these later round picks. 

On 3/29/2018 at 10:26 AM, TKnight24 said:

If it goes 

QB

Barkley 

QB

Chubb

Nelson 

Definitely should Trade back. Could still get Ward, Edmunds, Roquan, Maurice Hurst and many others at 12

And I’m sure Buffalo is gonna have to give up more than just those 2 first rounders to move up to 6 from 12. The haul from 3 to 6 was big, 6 to 12 has to be big

I hear a mock draft today where the Bills offered their 2 first rounders for Colts first and also pick #67

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I hear a mock draft today where the Bills offered their 2 first rounders for Colts first and also pick #67

Enough trading back...Lets pick at '6'......we can get too smart for our own good

The 6th pick is going to be a sure fire starter immediately. Take him

Edited by oldunclemark
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, IinD said:

We've gone from people being * because we could have had #2 and dropped to 3 by winning atthe end ofthe season, now we're cool dropping into the #20's...I love us NFL fans..:)

That #2 pick was probably at least worth the NYJ's 1st round pick next year (instead of the 2nd rounder...but possibly even in addition to what they got). And BUF probably gives up their top 4 picks and a 1st next year.

it would have been an incredibly advantageous spot to be in.

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yeah....    I heard that too on NFL Radio "Moving the Chains"....

I think Pat Kirwan,  who I especially like,  was trying to come up with an "even" trade....    he talked about how the points were practically a match.       So, he's not trying to stir things up with the fan base of either team.

But he knows full well that Ballard is NOT doing that deal.    Ballard wants to do a deal where he is gaining picks,  not swapping two for two.     The Colts are being asked to give up a premium spot (6) and so that comes at a premium cost.     Not an even swap of points on the chart.     I think Pat was trying to be.....  diplomatic.

Four weeks from today,  we'll all be discussing what we did on the Thursday night before --- Day One!!

Exciting times!!     

On 3/29/2018 at 12:48 PM, rockywoj said:

I think if it were me making the decision, to trade down with the Bills, I would require both of their 1sts rounders this year, AND ...

- either a 2nd or maybe a 3rd rounder this year ...

- or no less than a second rounder next year.

On 3/29/2018 at 1:21 PM, Virtuoso80 said:

how about trading back from the 22nd pick for more 2nd round and/or 3rd round picks? if we do trade back to get the 12th and 22nd from the bills

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah....    I heard that too on NFL Radio "Moving the Chains"....

I think Pat Kirwan,  who I especially like,  was trying to come up with an "even" trade....    he talked about how the points were practically a match.       So, he's not trying to stir things up with the fan base of either team.

But he knows full well that Ballard is NOT doing that deal.    Ballard wants to do a deal where he is gaining picks,  not swapping two for two.     The Colts are being asked to give up a premium spot (6) and so that comes at a premium cost.     Not an even swap of points on the chart.     I think Pat was trying to be.....  diplomatic.

Four weeks from today,  we'll all be discussing what we did on the Thursday night before --- Day One!!

Exciting times!!     

Maybe it's more than just trying to 'even the trade'.  Look at the 3 teams right behind us in the draft.  Tampa Bay (Winston), Chicago (Trubisky), and San Francisco (Garoppolo).  None of those teams will be taking a QB, so if Ballard is over asking, it will cost them less to talk to those other teams.   And who in that group has very few picks this year, so could stand to get better quality if not even add quantity? Then, who will then deal with us just to move into 6 above Bills at (7,8, or 9 depending), and what do they have to offer?

See, by pick 6, there are few QB's left that are truly worthy of being taken in upper half of round 1, but four teams that are trade able to get one of those last of the worthy potential franchise QB's.  We likely had our best leverage and received our best haul in the trade with Jets.  And if all al 4 QB's go within first 5 picks for some reason, We likely will not be trading down anymore. As I've mentioned before, if a deal is struck, it will be an agreement with a team well before the draft, and conditions to be met on both sides that actually happen on draft day to seal the trade deal.

57 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Maybe it's more than just trying to 'even the trade'.  Look at the 3 teams right behind us in the draft.  Tampa Bay (Winston), Chicago (Trubisky), and San Francisco (Garoppolo).  None of those teams will be taking a QB, so if Ballard is over asking, it will cost them less to talk to those other teams.   And who in that group has very few picks this year, so could stand to get better quality if not even add quantity? Then, who will then deal with us just to move into 6 above Bills at (7,8, or 9 depending), and what do they have to offer?

See, by pick 6, there are few QB's left that are truly worthy of being taken in upper half of round 1, but four teams that are trade able to get one of those last of the worthy potential franchise QB's.  We likely had our best leverage and received our best haul in the trade with Jets.  And if all al 4 QB's go within first 5 picks for some reason, We likely will not be trading down anymore. As I've mentioned before, if a deal is struck, it will be an agreement with a team well before the draft, and conditions to be met on both sides that actually happen on draft day to seal the trade deal.

IMO if a deal went down as you suggest I highly doubt it would be announced till draft day.

I think Ballard will stand pat till he sees who is actually there at pick #6.

The key is who are the Browns and the Broncos going to take at picks 4 and 5. We may think we know who will be picked but till it's done trading the #6 could end up being a huge mistake.

I know it's sounds appealing to trade down but IMO we have to see for certain who is there at #6.

We all know some crazy things can happen on draft day, especially in round one. There seems to be that one team who's board is a lot different than what most of us think. (it could be Ballard far all we know)

• Like 1

A trade is possible of course, but you have to have a willing partner

To me you stay put, and take BPO. UNLESS you get an amazing deal

I would trade with Buffalo only if Chubb is already picked...... AND

they give up the 12 and 22.

I would trade with Arizona for 15th AND next years first, along with 2nd

(I dont see someone trading "extra" picks to move up.... and take Nelson)

We are in a great position

To me we can end up with multiple GOOD ways to go, each will help build this team

Just please no WR with pick one..........  :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

IMO if a deal went down as you suggest I highly doubt it would be announced till draft day.

I think Ballard will stand pat till he sees who is actually there at pick #6.

The key is who are the Browns and the Broncos going to take at picks 4 and 5. We may think we know who will be picked but till it's done trading the #6 could end up being a huge mistake.

I know it's sounds appealing to trade down but IMO we have to see for certain who is there at #6.

We all know some crazy things can happen on draft day, especially in round one. There seems to be that one team who's board is a lot different than what most of us think. (it could be Ballard far all we know)

Exactly, it would happen when the Colts are on the clock.  But the deal would have been worked out before hand, and conditions (likely on both sides) have to be met for the deal to go through.  If a player Ballard wants more than trading back is still there at our pick, he cancels the deal and takes 'his guy'.  If our player is not there, and the other teams player still is, then the agreed upon trade deal goes through.  If neither teams players is on the board, deal does not get done, and does Ballard have a backup trade that was previously worked out with another team as plan B, or does he draft BPA?

Guaranteed there is no time to haggle about a trade from square one on draft day when a team is on the clock.  These things have to have largely been worked out beforehand as a draft day possibility, then tweaked as necessary on draft day.  Colts will not make any move until draft day while on the clock, I would say.

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Exactly, it would happen when the Colts are on the clock.  But the deal would have been worked out before hand, and conditions (likely on both sides) have to be met for the deal to go through.  If a player Ballard wants more than trading back is still there at our pick, he cancels the deal and takes 'his guy'.  If our player is not there, and the other teams player still is, then the agreed upon trade deal goes through.  If neither teams players is on the board, deal does not get done, and does Ballard have a backup trade that was previously worked out with another team as plan B, or does he draft BPA?

Guaranteed there is no time to haggle about a trade from square one on draft day when a team is on the clock.  These things have to have largely been worked out beforehand as a draft day possibility, then tweaked as necessary on draft day.  Colts will not make any move until draft day while on the clock, I would say.

I don't think it's likely a detailed multi-conditional future deal is in place before draft day. That gives the other teams too much info that could be shared snd/or leveraged. The most I can see is something like "we are open to trading depending on who is there(no specifics)" and maybe a general idea of compensation we would be looking for. 

I believe a most deals are started, haggled, and agreed upon all on draft day. The negotiations may be in the works after the draft starts and prior to actually being officially on the clock, but I think most draft day trades are initiated and completed during the draft in real time. 

8 hours ago, esmort said:

I don't think it's likely a detailed multi-conditional future deal is in place before draft day. That gives the other teams too much info that could be shared snd/or leveraged. The most I can see is something like "we are open to trading depending on who is there(no specifics)" and maybe a general idea of compensation we would be looking for. 

I believe a most deals are started, haggled, and agreed upon all on draft day. The negotiations may be in the works after the draft starts and prior to actually being officially on the clock, but I think most draft day trades are initiated and completed during the draft in real time. 

There is not enough time to haggle out a deal from scratch on draft day.  GM's call other GM's well beofre draft and work some conditional agreements out before draft day and iron out wrinkles and tweak it only on draft day. Here's how it might go -

*****************************************************************************************************

Colts-  We're open, so what will you give up to trade to our spot?

Other team - Offer made, haggled, then an agreement accepted.

Conditions appended...  IE:

Colts- we have one guy (no names mentioned) on our list we really want though. If he is there at #6, we won't trade. We'll take our guy.

Other team- We understand.  But if your guy isn't there, and ours (no names mentioned) still is, we'll call and then make the trade as we have agreed to, yes?

Colts - yes, if our guy is off the board, and yours is still there, call and we'll make the trade. (no names ever mentioned, no leverage)

Other team, - but if our guy is off the board when you're up, we won't call nor make the trade either.

Colts - OK

************************************************************************************************

That's a general idea of how some draft day deals get done, a fair amount of work goes into it  beforehand.  How Do I know, it's not a guess. Former GM's and an AFC teams former director of Player Administration has explained how pre-draft trades works on the various NFL Radio shows (SiriusXM Channel 88).