Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Yates: Colts hosted WR Dontrelle Inman for a visit

stitches

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Oh but we are "done" in FA according to some posters here

The same posters who said we didn’t try to shop Hankins before his release. 

The same posters who called for Ballard’s head for not re-signing Mewhort or Desir when they wanted him to but he still ended up signing both to very very very team friendly deals

The list goes on for awhile. Think it’s safe to say some posters just aren’t sure what they’re talking about :)

I can't believe how content some of you are with this free agency period. I also can't believe that some of you are so blind to why half of the board is upset with it. I think 90% of us would be happy if CB went out and got one of the top notch linemen and resigned our guys minus Moncrief. 

I am pretty indifferent to these retreads and WR4 types. Would much rather target guys in the draft...than pay a few million for an Aiken, Grant or Inman. So I hope signing someone like Inman doesn't prevent them from drafting a WR.

I am not trying to derail this thread, but I will say it again...I just find it hard to believe that Ballard is planning on having his franchise QB come back to a WR group that features Hilton and then some combo of Grant/Rogers/Inman/WRs on 90-man roster. 

2 minutes ago, bsteves said:

I can't believe how content some of you are with this free agency period. I also can't believe that some of you are so blind to why half of the board is upset with it. I think 90% of us would be happy if CB went out and got one of the top notch linemen and resigned our guys minus Moncrief. 

How many times does it have to be said that Ballard made attempts to sign linemen like Norwell and Jensen? Both of them set records for their positions with their new contracts. Ballard tried. You can't force players to sign with the team. You don't overpay or you end up worse off in the long run. There is still a lot of time left between now and the start of the new season. There will be many players cut between now and then. We also have the draft to address these needs. It is far too early in the new league year to be upset. Sure most of us would have loved for the team to have signed Norwell or Jensen. As far as I am concerned, I think Ballard has done a great job of not wildly rushing into signing players to huge deals that a year or two down the road hurts the team. If after the season the team is horrible and the OL is putrid then by all means be angry and say "we should have signed so and so" but it is March and there is a lot of time before we even get to training camp much less the season. Give Ballard time to do his job. One week isn't the entire offseason.

22 minutes ago, bsteves said:

Name me one team that has "won" free agency I.E. spent the most and won a Super Bowl the following year in the last decade 

10 minutes ago, bsteves said:

They aren't blind to why some fans are upset. They just don't agree.

19 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Name me one team that has "won" free agency I.E. spent the most and won a Super Bowl the following year in the last decade 

That seems to be a false dilemma. The Colts don't have to spend the most money.

But I can name several Super Bowl teams that have been active in FA and were successful teams...SEA, DEN, ATL, PHI and NE. JAC didn't make the Super Bowl but they were in the AFC Championship game and look to build on that this upcoming season.  

51 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Wouldn't it be funny if we land both the Bears wide receivers and then they have break out years here with Luck and they go out and over pay a ton for Robinson and Gabriel. That would be too funny!

That’s what happens when you have a good QB .... the jags Allen would be a good signing too.

28 minutes ago, krunk said:

Nice find there krunk like Smonroe said earlier Chargers WRs are worth looking at. If Rivers praises somebody, you know the dude is no slouch & a good addition to any team. 

Thanks for the heads up on Dontrelle Inman bro! Or more accurately, how he approaches every single down. 

13 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

But I can name several Super Bowl teams that have been active in FA and were successful teams...SEA, DEN, ATL, PHI and NE. JAC didn't make the Super Bowl but they were in the AFC Championship game and look to build on that this upcoming season.  

So the answer to what team spent the most in FA and won the Super Bowl the next season within the last decade is..... ZERO

17 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Your Seahawks example is nonsense because Russel Wilson was on his rookie deal which allowed Pete Carroll & their GM to basically build the Legion Of Boom. The only team remotely close to buying a SB defense that won a Lombardi Trophy was the Broncos with Miller, Talib, Chris Harris Jr., & TJ Ward.

Denver your only close example is an outlier not the norm SMTA. Let's get real. 

7 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Your Seahawks example is nonsense because Russel Wilson was on his rookie deal which allowed Pete Carroll & their GM to basically build the Legion Of Boom. The only team remotely close to buying a SB defense that won a Lombardi Trophy was the Broncos with Miller, Talib, Chris Harris Jr., & TJ Ward.

Don't forget Peyton.  When they got Peyton, they were all in and that is when you go big in FA is to put the finishing touches on a good team.  We aren't there yet.

1 hour ago, bsteves said:

Some of us understand how this really works.

1 hour ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

How many times does it have to be said that Ballard made attempts to sign linemen like Norwell and Jensen? Both of them set records for their positions with their new contracts. Ballard tried. You can't force players to sign with the team. You don't overpay or you end up worse off in the long run. There is still a lot of time left between now and the start of the new season. There will be many players cut between now and then. We also have the draft to address these needs. It is far too early in the new league year to be upset. Sure most of us would have loved for the team to have signed Norwell or Jensen. As far as I am concerned, I think Ballard has done a great job of not wildly rushing into signing players to huge deals that a year or two down the road hurts the team. If after the season the team is horrible and the OL is putrid then by all means be angry and say "we should have signed so and so" but it is March and there is a lot of time before we even get to training camp much less the season. Give Ballard time to do his job. One week isn't the entire offseason.

I understand that he made attempts and obviously one week isn't the entire off-season. I also think Ballard has done a good job "not wildly rushing" to sign players but to not lock in a key piece to the oline is a huge whiff imo. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I didn't say one word about winning free agency. That's the last thing I wanted Ballard to do.

48 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

They aren't blind to why some fans are upset. They just don't agree.

Fair enough.

19 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Some of us understand how this really works.

Is it really working right now? Please don't say yes bc I'll laugh. Not one unit on either side of the ball has gotten better for us except the tight end position while every team in our division has gotten better. 

All I wanted in free agency was to see Ballard do what the last administration didn't, protect luck. I don't care if we over pay for one player. Let's not play around here and act like it was because "they didn't want to come here." We all know that it's all about the money.

Its getting done.

Desir and mewhort are solid depth/possible starter for cheap. (add d CB   & G)

Shaunessy ( good guard depth/possible starter) good value

a good TE added for value.  Athletic, big, fast

WR:  the Grant kid has potential.

the defensive guy from the raiders has been dciting potential.

we need LB addressed.  Pass rush, OL, Wr,rb.

some need d more than others.  But now is the time Baloard works his magic.  Then we are in a GREAT position for draft.  Then we have cuts.  He's doing it the right way.

Norwell and Robinson dont win us a Super Bowl. ( if that was your thinking)

2 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

The same posters who said we didn’t try to shop Hankins before his release. 

The same posters who called for Ballard’s head for not re-signing Mewhort or Desir when they wanted him to but he still ended up signing both to very very very team friendly deals

The list goes on for awhile. Think it’s safe to say some posters just aren’t sure what they’re talking about :)

It's almost like general managers know more about team building than fans do.

:Yikes:

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

And that team had a guy called Peyton Manning. 

1 hour ago, bsteves said:

All I wanted in free agency was to see Ballard do what the last administration didn't, protect luck. I don't care if we over pay for one player. Let's not play around here and act like it was because "they didn't want to come here." We all know that it's all about the money.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you. It isn't all about the money. Believe it or not some of these guys actually want to win a Super Bowl. Right now, in the eyes of most experts, we are not close to winning the Super Bowl. If it were all about the money then why does Tom Brady continue to take way less money than his market value. Did you know that this coming season he won't even be in the top 10 QB salaries? Why? Because he wants to win. He knows he could get more money but it comes with a price. Sometimes the desire to win trumps the desire to get paid.

22 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you. It isn't all about the money. Believe it or not some of these guys actually want to win a Super Bowl. Right now, in the eyes of most experts, we are not close to winning the Super Bowl. If it were all about the money then why does Tom Brady continue to take way less money than his market value. Did you know that this coming season he won't even be in the top 10 QB salaries? Why? Because he wants to win. He knows he could get more money but it comes with a price. Sometimes the desire to win trumps the desire to get paid.

Key word is some. It's very rare that a player takes less. They're older most of the time, on the brink of retirement. That's one thing I give Tom Brady a lot of respect for.

3 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I am pretty indifferent to these retreads and WR4 types. Would much rather target guys in the draft...than pay a few million for an Aiken, Grant or Inman. So I hope signing someone like Inman doesn't prevent them from drafting a WR.

I am not trying to derail this thread, but I will say it again...I just find it hard to believe that Ballard is planning on having his franchise QB come back to a WR group that features Hilton and then some combo of Grant/Rogers/Inman/WRs on 90-man roster. 

With this caliber of free agent signings, Ballard better have one heckuva draft.  I'm hoping for a young wideout as well.  This team has so many needs..even more now than what we entered this off season with.  We won't be able to address them all this year.

4 hours ago, bsteves said:

Those upset on this board are a very vocal minority.  Of course we would be fine if he had done that, fan is short for FANatic.  some of us are just more willing to look at the big picture, and accept that it's just football, as well as the fact that no one who makes decisions listens to our opinions, nor should they....

1 hour ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Also helps that his wife makes a good bit more per year than he does..... just sayin' remember who wears the pants in the Brady household....