Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tyrann Mathieu released

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Would love having him at a contract that won’t break the bank. I’d be comfortable paying him around 9-10 mil per year. 

He’d most likely be the new starting nickel with Hairston moving to CB 4. 

If be okay moving hairston outside

I wanted another S anyways. I want to see the Colts run more big nickel and could have used an upgrade as well for the base defense. I would have been more than happy to end up with Fitzpatrick or James in the draft...but Mathieu will only cost money.

13 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Would love having him at a contract that won’t break the bank. I’d be comfortable paying him around 9-10 mil per year. 

something tells me that if he held out against the Arizona for more money, he's gonna be looking for near 13-15 per year minimum, he was already getting 14 mil for 2018...

46 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I wanted another S anyways. I want to see the Colts run more big nickel and could have used an upgrade as well for the base defense. I would have been more than happy to end up with Fitzpatrick or James in the draft...but Mathieu will only cost money.

What? ONLY MONEY! ONLY MONEY you say?......don't say that in front of Ballard.

haha

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Ya zero chance we get him at that price. If we get him it’s gonna cost $15M. The reason he got cut was because he wouldn’t take a pay cut, so there’s no way he takes less money to join us.

20 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Jax will find a way somehow

The Jags hired Coughlin and he secretly unlocked a cheat code that allows the Jags unlimited cap space. I think they put an offer on the Raiders. Yeah, the whole organization if I'm not mistaken. They want Gruden badly.

I'm just being ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Ya zero chance we get him at that price. If we get him it’s gonna cost $15M. The reason he got cut was because he wouldn’t take a pay cut, so there’s no way he takes less money to join us.

100% right on this.

His average annual salary on his last deal was $12.5M

His cap charge that they wanted to lower for this year was at $14.1M

He did not want to take a cut and knew he could get more forcing his way onto the open market.

I would think that his starting point is a minimum of that $12.5M a year annual salary he used to have.

More realisitically, since he didnt want to take a cut from $14.1M, we would be looking for $14M a year annually.

No thank you if so.

Just now, CopenhagenColt said:

He's made it quite clear, that he's looking to make as much as possible.

There's no way he's a Colt next year.

If we're not ready to roll out the big deal for someone like Norwell, why would we do it for him?

Huh?

We rolled out a big desk for Norwell.  We were a finalist for him.  We got edged out.

Just because we didn't have the winning deal doesn't mean we didn't present him with a big deal.

26 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

Tyrann is a versatile player that can play CB or S. He’s only 25 years old. Ballard needs to jump on this now.

For what it's worth...    outside corner is the position he plays the least and the worst.

He plays both safety positions, slot corner,  and extra linebacker.

Mathieu will also be hugely expensive which is why he was cut.   The chances of him being a Colt are....  slim.

1 hour ago, NextGenerationLuck said:

I’d be willing to give him a try at outside Corner or put Hairston outside

Mathieu has never been good at corner.   Never.   Even going back to college.   Outside corner is the position he plays the least. 

The spots he plays the best are both safety slots, the slot corner and extra linebacker where he lives to blitz.   

For the money he wants, trying him at his worst spot is not going to happen.

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Mathieu has never been good at corner.   Never.   Even going back to college.   Outside corner is the position he plays the least. 

The spots he plays the best are both safety slots, the slit corner and extra linebacker where he lives to blitz.   

For the money he wants Ballard will tell him "go take a hike. I hear the Jags are hiring". 

haha

2 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Well we have three good safeties to we don't have use for him too bad he is a great player.

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

We rolled out a big desk for Norwell.  We were a finalist for him.  We got edged out.

Just because we didn't have the winning deal doesn't mean we didn't present him with a big deal.

Seems like the NFL free agency is passing the Colts by. No signings of major pieces that are needed. Norwell and now Solder plus Tenn picking up Lewis and Butler. Matthieu will sign with Texans. Keeps getting worse.

3 minutes ago, Halfpap said:

Seems like the NFL free agency is passing the Colts by. No signings of major pieces that are needed. Norwell and now Solder plus Tenn picking up Lewis and Butler. Matthieu will sign with Texans. Keeps getting worse.

No worries.....    there is still plenty of talent left to buy.    Honestly,  there is.

We were never players for Solder.    Never.

And guys like Lewis and Butler got priced out of our league.     That's OK.      I don't care if Mathieu goes elsewhere.

There are plenty of other players to sign.    Really.

And the other needs can be addressed at the draft.

Better days ahead!

p.s. --- Oh,  and since you're new,  welcome to website!     This is a wild time to have joined!

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The spots he plays the best are both safety slots, the slot corner and extra linebacker where he lives to blitz.   

I never followed the cards close enough to know if he was good enough to play outside. Obviously madden lied to me