Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts showing interest in Malcom Butler

1 minute ago, boo2202 said:

This doesn't excite me. Is he going to be cheaper than Melvin? 

we could sign BOTH if we wanted too. Sounds like Melvin wants to test the market and Ballard is letting him, still a decent chance he comes back

1 minute ago, IndyScribe said:

Nice. I wouldn't mind signing Butler. It'd also be a F*** the Pats move.

F--- the Patriots?

They don't want him.   They're letting him go.  They're moving on to someone else.

Besides....  showing interest doesn't equal the Colts being a lock to sign him...

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

we could sign BOTH if we wanted too. Sounds like Melvin wants to test the market and Ballard is letting him, still a decent chance he comes back

I'm expecting Wilson to start opposite whoever Ballard signs.   I can see him signing one corner, but not two expensive corners...

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm expecting Wilson to start opposite whoever Ballard signs.   I can see him signing one corner, but not two expensive corners...

very true. but its not out of the realm either. Wilson, Butler, Melvin combo would be pretty good with Farley/Hooker/Geathers over the top. 

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

F--- the Patriots?

They don't want him.   They're letting him go.  They're moving on to someone else.

Besides....  showing interest doesn't equal the Colts being a lock to sign him...

Agreed. @IndyScribeThey benched him for the SB and had zero intention of resigning him. If they had a FA that was a high priority resign and we stole them away, that would be an "F the Pats" move.

1 minute ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Butler and Dion Lewis? Sounds like Ballard didn't feel like tearing up his wish list from when he thought McDaniels would be here.

its all speculation, no one truly knows outside of the Colt's front office.  Even the agents don't know at this point just how interested teams are.

Butler is going to get paid...especially with what Sherman just got. I don't know how I feel about the Colts being the ones who do it. 

I am more interested in a younger CB like Fuller...but I assume CHI would match any offer thrown their way. 

Not sure what Ballard is going to do...he has to sign at least one CB. Sean Smith could be a good stop gap ; )

5 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Butler is going to get paid...especially with what Sherman just got. I don't know how I feel about the Colts being the ones who do it. 

I am more interested in a younger CB like Fuller...but I assume CHI would match any offer thrown their way. 

Not sure what Ballard is going to do...he has to sign at least one CB. Sean Smith could be a good stop gap ; )

Can't believe someone actually recommended Sean Smith. You do realize he's going to jail, right? He's also not young at all. I wouldn't mind Gaines, Johnson, or Fuller, but Butler wouldn't be terrible either. Butler isn't as good as Sherman and he realizes that. I doubt his contract is as big as Sherman's contract.

8 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Sean Smith appears to be heading to jail for a year. I would kick the tires on Fuller though, definitely worth a look there. 

9 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Can't believe someone actually recommended Sean Smith. You do realize he's going to jail, right? He's also not young at all. I wouldn't mind Gaines, Johnson, or Fuller, but Butler wouldn't be terrible either. Butler isn't as good as Sherman and he realizes that. I doubt his contract is as big as Sherman's contract.

The "wink" was meant to indicate sarcasm.

13 minutes ago, Str8himalaya said:

Sean Smith appears to be heading to jail for a year. I would kick the tires on Fuller though, definitely worth a look there. 

So? Just make sure it's all based on incentives for games played. 

(I am not seriously suggesting that...nor  was I serious about wanting Sean Smith).

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

its all speculation, no one truly knows outside of the Colt's front office.  Even the agents don't know at this point just how interested teams are.

Well...   Lewis fits the Reich offense and Butler us a quality corner.....    no reason not to be interested....

3 hours ago, MTC said:

81.0 overall grade on PFF, so it is not like he was awful last season. I am willing to take the chance on him.

And he tackles....don't forget that. Zone corners HAVE TO BE ABLE TO TACKLE. It's just a report so nothing to really confirm anything but he is well schooled by Belichick and you know Pats corners tackle. Seems like a good fit as long as he wouldn't cost an arm and leg.

6 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Nice. I wouldn't mind signing Butler. It'd also be a F*** the Pats move.

Nobody likes a devil's advocate, but I gotta say... the Pats have a pretty solid track record of letting good or above average players walk. It's part of why they have such long term success. They draft fairly well and develop players well, so they can afford to save money by letting players walk. Something tells me they won't really care so much when/if Butler walks. It's a fun narrative, though.

7 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Butler and Dion Lewis? Sounds like Ballard didn't feel like tearing up his wish list from when he thought McDaniels would be here.

Ballard definitely has a jones for the Pats.  That said...both of those guys could help us if signed. Even if we add Butler, I'd still like to also bring back Rashard Melvin if feasible.

8 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Starting to become a "where there's smoke" situation.

I'd be fine with him though, we're about to be so thin/young at CB if Melvin and/or Desir leaves.

Yeah, even if we resign Desir we would still be thin at corner if we don't resign Melvin. So get it done. 

4 hours ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Yeah,  we obviously weren’t that interested lol. 

I heard that too on NFL Network but I think will be in the running depending on what happens with Melvin. But we can't wait too long on Melvin because we would miss out on Butler. 

3 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

Wasnt Fuller franchise tagged?  or is it a different fuller?

He received the transition tag.  Any team can make him an offer and if he signs it the Bears have a few days to match or they lose him.  They receive no compensation if we sign him.  I'm hoping Ballard could make him an offer that Chicago would find it hard to match.  I would at least try. 

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He received the transition tag.  Any team can make him an offer and if he signs it the Bears have a few days to match or they lose him.  They receive no compensation if we sign him.  I'm hoping Ballard could make him an offer that Chicago would find it hard to match.  I would at least try. 

Oh, different type of tag, got it. Thanks for clarifying.