Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rumor: Colts Interested in Vinny Curry, among others...

I really hope they are able to snag WR Allen Robinson on a team friendly deal. WR is such a big need since they will let  Moncrief walk. Would rather solve WR in free agency then have to reach for a WR via the draft since the class isn't that great. 

Also I hope and expect we will sign Hitchens and possibly one of Curry/Mayowa. 

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Vinny Curry would make a lot of sense to us. 

Heck, Vinny Curry, Benson Mayowa, Josh Sitton, Dion Lewis, sign them all and draft Chubb and let our DL depth loose on opposing QBs, yeah baby. :) 

Curry feels like Trent Cole redux. He will be heading into his age 30 season...and hasn't had a good sack total since 2014. Unless he is cut and it's an incredibly cheap short-term deal...I am not a fan of going after him. And trading anything for him (and taking on his base salary) would have me questioning Ballard.

Especially since Quinn was available. Quinn is two years younger and had as many sacks last season (coming off injury) as Curry has had in the past three seasons. If Ballard didn't think Quinn fits, then I can't see how Curry would.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Curry feels like Trent Cole redux. He will be heading into his age 30 season...and hasn't had a good sack total since 2014. Unless he is cut and it's an incredibly cheap short-term deal...I am not a fan of going after him. And trading anything for him (and taking on his base salary) would have me questioning Ballard.

Especially since Quinn was available. Quinn is two years younger and had as many sacks last season (coming off injury) as Curry has had in the past three seasons. If Ballard didn't think Quinn fits, then I can't see how Curry would.

I trust Ballard and it is rare to see a good pass rusher hit the open market. So, going by that, we probably do not sign Curry. I will agree with you on that.

I was only joking for us to sign them all, fully knowing it won't happen in all likelihood. I will just be stoked if we sign 1 FA for our pass rush and draft the rest. :) 

Just now, chad72 said:

I trust Ballard and it is rare to see a good pass rusher hit the open market. So, going by that, we probably do not sign Curry. I will agree with you on that.

I was only joking for us to sign them all, fully knowing it won't happen in all likelihood. I will just be stoked if we sign 1 FA for our pass rush and draft the rest. :) 

I am hoping to get at least a couple big-time FAs...with some additional decent signings. And then a trade back to accrue more day two picks to balance out the salary cap with cheap talent.

This offseason should be very telling. Ballard now has his HC (and preferred coaches and system) in place..;so we will really get to see his direction for the team.

41 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I really hope they are able to snag WR Allen Robinson on a team friendly deal. WR is such a big need since they will let  Moncrief walk. Would rather solve WR in free agency then have to reach for a WR via the draft since the class isn't that great. 

There's going to be a bidding war for Robinson. I think he ends up going to the 49ers.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

I am hoping to get at least a couple big-time FAs...with some additional decent signings. And then a trade back to accrue more day two picks to balance out the salary cap with cheap talent.

This offseason should be very telling. Ballard now has his HC (and preferred coaches and system) in place..;so we will really get to see his direction for the team.

I wouldn’t get my hopes up.  We never end up going after the big name guys.  We didn’t last year in Ballard’s first year and I doubt we do this year. 

1 minute ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

I wouldn’t get my hopes up.  We never end up going after the big name guys.  We didn’t last year in Ballard’s first year and I doubt we do this year. 

Now that he does have his coaches in place, I think he can be more aggressive about going after certain players. I am not sure what to expect...but he's not building a winner with cheap 1-2 year deals.

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Now that he does have his coaches in place, I think he can be more aggressive about going after certain players. I am not sure what to expect...but he's not building a winner with cheap 1-2 year deals.

No his plan is to do those cheap one to two years and then draft players to replace them when those deals run up.  He’s about homegrown players being aggressive on big name FA is not in that gameplan.  He’s all but said that.

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Curry = soft no. Like others have said, it does seem a bit a Trent Cole-ish. I suppose if we could get Curry without paying him Cole money, I’d be more interested... but nah. Let’s get younger hungrier players with something to prove.

Mayowa= don’t know enough about him

Norwell= obviously would be a massive upgrade. Could the money get a little too silly? I think it might.

Lewis= he’s never been paid , let some other team give him his  first big paycheque.

Hitchens= make sense

Poe= does he fit the 4-3?

Butler= ehhh I dunno. I’m not sure he looks that good away from Bill.

Ballard has said that he's not going to throw money at non-blue chip assets.  Now who he considers blue chip is beyond me, however I don't necessarily think what he did last year is the same approach he'll take this year.  Last year was a massive turnover of the roster.  You can't sign that many guys without looking for smart, "non splash" deals.  While there are still holes to fill this year, it's not the huge void that existed last year.  Ballard has stressed, younger and faster since day 1 and there are some young (Norwell/A-Rob) talents out there that may fit this criteria.  I'd love to see the Colts sign one of these 2 players (particularly Robinson given the lack of WR on the current roster).  Ballard likely won't be spending money on older veterans who's best years are behind them (ie. Grigson) however in the rare cases where young talents like Norwell/Robinson become available, he may very likely make a play.  Either way, I really trust Ballard (what other choice do I have lol).  All of this IMO of course.

This rumor/tweet was already posted here 13 hours ago. Mods can we merge the two?

As for Incarcerated Bob. He doesn't bring much to the table that we don't already know/suspect. He will throw a curveball every now and then just to keep his followers champing at the bit. Personally, I keep tabs on what he says just for the fun of pure speculation. Even if he is wrong I like to consider the "what ifs." Its why I love this time of the NFL season.

9 minutes ago, MrNLM said:

This rumor/tweet was already posted here 13 hours ago. Mods can we merge the two?

As for Incarcerated Bob. He doesn't bring much to the table that we don't already know/suspect. He will throw a curveball every now and then just to keep his followers champing at the bit. Personally, I keep tabs on what he says just for the fun of pure speculation. Even if he is wrong I like to consider the "what ifs." Its why I love this time of the NFL season.

My fault, didn't see where this had been posted.

I'm not one to usually flood the forums with the same rumor so yeah, merge it up if you want mods.

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I agree with everything you said except

I think Robinson will be in High Demand. He's the top WR in FA, right? 

So I doubt he  will need to sign a team friendly deal. Whoever gets him, imo, will have to pay him.

I hope its us but I doubt it.

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

My fault, didn't see where this had been posted.

I'm not one to usually flood the forums with the same rumor so yeah, merge it up if you want mods.

It's all good, brother. Its a fun and crazy time to be a Colts fan. Post to your heart's content! :huthut: