Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Allen The 2018 Colts Starting QB + MVP

2018 Draft  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Draft Josh Allen 2018 NFL MVP

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/09/2018 at 06:13 PM

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brady the GOAT and Luck is Average - Hector I am right yet? Luck isn't Average for one and #2 Peyton is just as Great as Brady ever was.

haha Yeah.... I was wrong and I see that now....  was trying to defend the poor guy but after seeing that comment I’m convinced he’s talk out his A$#... be little away my friend! You have my full support!

3 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

haha Yeah.... I was wrong and I see that now....  was trying to defend the poor guy but after seeing that comment I’m convinced he’s talk out his A$#... be little away my friend! You have my full support!

I guess y'all are just afraid of a different opinion to y'all's own. 

Either way doesnt matter Josh Allen will be going number 1 overall. It ain't even close. We would have to trade up to get him. 

34 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

Either way doesnt matter Josh Allen will be going number 1 overall. It ain't even close. We would have to trade up to get him. 

I live in Wyoming and Josh Allen is a hero here, id love to see him do well just not in Indy. I had your back when all the negative comments started coming your way, but I’m not going to stay in your corner if your going to trash on luck.

5 hours ago, Alex22 said:

Allen isn't going #1. He won't even be the 1st, 2nd or 3rd QB off the board

Get off your high horse and get real

4 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

I live in Wyoming and Josh Allen is a hero here, id love to see him do well just not in Indy. I had your back when all the negative comments started coming your way, but I’m not going to stay in your corner if your going to trash on luck.

I aint talkin no trash on Luck. I am just offering a different perspective if he doesnt work out. Remember last year when he was playing in Week 1?? Y'all need to be realistic if Luck aint throwin in OTAs it may a be big problem. 

Relax 

• 3 years later...

So I was right in the end - Luck left us hopeless - Jacoby burnt down the ship - we sailed on with Philip Rivers skeleton and now we are stuck with Carson Wentz's Shadow. 

It's ok guys I forgive you all - I am just happy to see Josh Allen doing his thing - and hopefully one day he wins that Superbowl. 

Good night Y'all 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Funny how the OP did not come back after year 1 when Josh Allen had all his accuracy issues and had to time it now. The "I told you so" folks come back around only when things go their way. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Just saying.  Some hedge their bets on Anthony Gordon too (cough, cough...) and don't have much to show for it, so that poster comes back saying after 1 game of Jordan Love "see I told you he is no good". LOL, get out of here. :)

Every year, there will be a draft pundit coming back "see, I told you this guy Herbert will be good, I told you Darius Leonard will be good, I told you Keanu Neal will be drafted in the first round and you guys laughed at me". If those posters are reading, they will exactly know who I am talking about.

If the Bills GM doesn't make moves for Diggs, Sanders, and brings in young guys like Knox, Davis and signs good vet OL, we are probably talking Josh Allen still fighting to win the division with the Patriots. The league is set up for offensive production and if you have a GM "willing" to make moves in free agency to surround the very good QBs with very good weapons, you will see the QB make the jump to an "elite QB". That is just how it goes. 

NOTHING happens in a vacuum for the player. Lots of factors surround 1 single player for their success and a team to be put together in this team sport of football from coaching to player development to player support.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Shive locked and unlocked this topic
7 hours ago, chad72 said:

Funny how the OP did not come back after year 1 when Josh Allen had all his accuracy issues and had to time it now. The "I told you so" folks come back around only when things go their way. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Just saying.  Some hedge their bets on Anthony Gordon too (cough, cough...) and don't have much to show for it, so that poster comes back saying after 1 game of Jordan Love "see I told you he is no good". LOL, get out of here. :)

Every year, there will be a draft pundit coming back "see, I told you this guy Herbert will be good, I told you Darius Leonard will be good, I told you Keanu Neal will be drafted in the first round and you guys laughed at me". If those posters are reading, they will exactly know who I am talking about.

If the Bills GM doesn't make moves for Diggs, Sanders, and brings in young guys like Knox, Davis and signs good vet OL, we are probably talking Josh Allen still fighting to win the division with the Patriots. The league is set up for offensive production and if you have a GM "willing" to make moves in free agency to surround the very good QBs with very good weapons, you will see the QB make the jump to an "elite QB". That is just how it goes. 

NOTHING happens in a vacuum for the player. Lots of factors surround 1 single player for their success and a team to be put together in this team sport of football from coaching to player development to player support.

Sorry to offend you Mr chad72 - but realistically - Josh Allen would have bean the man here at the Colts. It is interesting that most people in this thread said Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold would all be great, however Allen just threw 9 TDs in 2 playoff games. That not too bad right? I have only ever advocated so much for Allen because he is good - you can't deny it. 

Diggs, Sanders Knox Davis etc - they are all made better by Josh Allen - Diggs has had career years when working with Allen (I hope this makes sense?)

I guess what I am saying is - people have opinions and sometimes they are right - but to trash their opinion and come back in 3 years and say "whatever dude broken clock right twice a day ya know?" is not a great way to assert your football knowledge on to this great forum we call home. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alex22 said:

Sorry to offend you Mr chad72 - but realistically - Josh Allen would have bean the man here at the Colts. It is interesting that most people in this thread said Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold would all be great, however Allen just threw 9 TDs in 2 playoff games. That not too bad right? I have only ever advocated so much for Allen because he is good - you can't deny it. 

Diggs, Sanders Knox Davis etc - they are all made better by Josh Allen - Diggs has had career years when working with Allen (I hope this makes sense?)

I guess what I am saying is - people have opinions and sometimes they are right - but to trash their opinion and come back in 3 years and say "whatever dude broken clock right twice a day ya know?" is not a great way to assert your football knowledge on to this great forum we call home. 

you were right so props for that and my prediction that we would have won the SB this year would have happened if JA was our QB

1 hour ago, Alex22 said:

It's not bashing the opinion. It's bashing coming back 3 years later to say "told you so". I'm right about a lot of prospects and I'm also wrong about some too, but I don't bump my old threads to try to show everyone how right I was.

Your premise at that time wasn't realistic by any means, because we still had Luck and Allen was viewed as a boom or bust prospect. It's neat to look back with the benefit of hindsight, but at that time, drafting a QB in the top 10 when you already had a generational talent on the mend just didn't make sense. At that moment, it was all about building around Luck. We all know what happened with Luck, but you can't come back 3 years later and act like we should have made a decision then based off of events that hadn't happened yet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alex22 said:

...and vice versa too. It works both ways though. How many QBs have made the jump from Year 1 to Year 2 that significantly in completion percentage? Co-incidental that his biggest jump in completion percentage came with the arrival of Diggs in year 2??

Odds were not in Josh Allen's favor given his lower completion percentage in college and those were the biggest doubts on him. I am happy for him and I don't deny his talent. Jay Cutler had a great arm too and made Brandon Marshall great for a period of time and vice versa. However he could not sustain it as the years went on and his teams were never as good as the Bills team that has been put together, IMO. I never trashed your opinion, I just said that anyone can say "Drake London who is a Top 15 prospect will be a stud someday" and it is more likely to be true than not true given where they are rated in the draft. It is not like Josh Allen was rated outside the Top 20 prospects and you unearthed the next No.199 pick Tom Brady, was it? What is to say Baker Mayfield cannot turn it around when healthy? (Oh no, since I said it, if Baker does turn it around, I should be back in 4 years, hmm....now there is a thought). He was the only guy I thought was accurate in college but it is all about the support system around the QB, Baker had a fantastic one in Oklahoma and had a good rookie year too with 70% completion percentage and started off promising. Lamar Jackson, if he was coached by Jeff Fisher or Mike Shanahan Sr., would have not seen the starting job after 3 years like Vince Young and RG3. 

You just want to thump your chest and join the "I told you so crowd". So, you can have your brownie if you want it. 

Like @Shive said above, if we all had a nickel for every prospect that we touted in the draft and came back years later to bump our chest, this forum will be filled with bloated chests and hindsight nickels. Goodbye!!!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, husker61 said:

Josh Allen is a average nfl qb, statistically he is the same as wentz, who everyone is trashing. Maybe he will get better, maybe wentz will. 

Ok….  Whatever credibility you might have had, you just lost it with this post.   Completely. 

You’d have been right if you said this after his first two years, but after these last two, which have been incredible and you’re saying this now?    No.   Sorry.   Just completely wrong.   

The world does not exist where Allen and Wentz are the same because they have some stats that are similar.   Come on now.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2022 at 7:04 PM, Alex22 said:

Thanks for giving my post a like from 4 years ago..... made me and others remember that having a high draft pick in a supposedly deep, talented QB draft was a good time to take a insurance policy on lucks future. 

And you showed that you and others had foresight not hindsight.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, husker61 said:

Stats don’t lie. Your hatred of wentz doesn’t change the stats, sorry.

Since you didn’t respond to anyone, I have no idea who you’re talking to?  

But stats lie all the time.   It depends on how they’re used, how they’re presented.   You tried to make an argument that Wentz has roughly the same stats as Allen, therefor they’re about the same.    

One has a career arc heading to the Hall of Fame.   The others arc would suggest one more year like this past one and he’ll struggle to find a decent team that would want to employ him.   I’ll let you figure out which is which. 

Ask yourself this..    if all 32 GMs were asked who they’d rather have, Allen or Wentz,  which player do you think they’d want?

Spoiler Alerṫ:    Allen, 32-0. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, husker61 said:

We will see what the future holds. There is a long list of qb’s that have a couple great games or a year or two, everyone hypes them, and they turn out to be average. Making him out to be manning, Brady, rogers, etc. is way premature.

For what it’s worth….   Allen’s jump from Y2 to Y3 was historic.   As in never been done before.  Ever.   His completion percentage jumped about 10.5 points.   Again, historic.  
Did he cool off this year?   Yes, but still very high and he’s throwing much further down the field than CW is.   

Who are you comparing JA to?   Who was the flash in the pan who turned out average?  

On 1/25/2022 at 11:25 AM, Shive said:

It's not bashing the opinion. It's bashing coming back 3 years later to say "told you so". I'm right about a lot of prospects and I'm also wrong about some too, but I don't bump my old threads to try to show everyone how right I was.

Your premise at that time wasn't realistic by any means, because we still had Luck and Allen was viewed as a boom or bust prospect. It's neat to look back with the benefit of hindsight, but at that time, drafting a QB in the top 10 when you already had a generational talent on the mend just didn't make sense. At that moment, it was all about building around Luck. We all know what happened with Luck, but you can't come back 3 years later and act like we should have made a decision then based off of events that hadn't happened yet.

I guess the event that did happen was luck broked his shoulder right? the one he throws the ball with...

That alone made me skeptical of his future as a QB. 

I think thread is very relevant due to our QB situation over the last few years  

2 hours ago, Alex22 said:

I guess the event that did happen was luck broked his shoulder right? the one he throws the ball with...

What bothers me about your return is this….

Where were you after Allen’s rookie year, where he completed about 52 percent of his passes?    Where were you after Y2 when he completed less than 60 percent?    He was looking promising, but certainly not like a future great.   His jump in Y3 was historic.  As in never been done before by anyone ever.  A jump of over 10 percent had never happened.  
Did you predict that here?   I don’t think so. 

So your claim that you knew Allen would be great feels to me very much like saying you won the lottery but you KNEW what the winning numbers would be!   Sure you did….

PS — Luck did not “break” his shoulder.  Yes, he had serious shoulder problems, but not a break.    The shoulder, by itself, was NOT why Luck eventually retired.  

• Like 2

On 1/24/2022 at 7:12 PM, stitches said:

I don't think I posted in this thread, but for the record I was not high on Josh Allen in the draft. I was obviously wrong. With that said, I think it would have been insane to draft him while we still had Luck. 

It for sure would have been a tough sell, especially with Allen sitting on the bench during Luck's 2018 season. Thumbs up for the OP's call though. 

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What bothers me about your return is this….

Where were you after Allen’s rookie year, where he completed about 52 percent of his passes?    Where were you after Y2 when he completed less than 60 percent?    He was looking promising, but certainly not like a future great.   His jump in Y3 was historic.  As in never been done before by anyone ever.  A jump of over 10 percent had never happened.  
Did you predict that here?   I don’t think so. 

So your claim that you knew Allen would be great feels to me very much like saying you won the lottery but you KNEW what the winning numbers would be!   Sure you did….

PS — Luck did not “break” his shoulder.  Yes, he had serious shoulder problems, but not a break.    The shoulder, by itself, was NOT why Luck eventually retired.  

Couldn't have said it better. :thmup:

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2022 at 6:33 PM, husker61 said:

Josh Allen is a average nfl qb, statistically he is the same as wentz, who everyone is trashing. Maybe he will get better, maybe wentz will. 

You can’t be serious lol. Better arm talent, better decision maker, better at everything besides crumbling under pressure like Wentz

• Like 2

On 1/24/2022 at 6:33 PM, husker61 said:

I think it isn't kool anymore to say Put down the crack pipe.
So how about thanks for the laugh.  :funny:

• Like 2

2018 Me hated Josh Allen.  He was 3rd team all-MAC!  His college completion % was under 60%!  QBs don’t come to the NFL and suddenly become accurate against elite talent.  I laughed my butt off after the Bills traded up for him, and felt pretty right for about two years.  Now…well, there’s a reason I’m not an NFL GM.

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2022 at 7:58 PM, Alex22 said:

Not sure why nobody has asked, but who do you like this year in the draft?

54 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Not sure why nobody has asked, but who do you like this year in the draft?

I wouldn’t be looking at QBs too early.  If I’m GM, Wentz gets another chance with better weaponry.  I would feel free to look for a good back-up QB, though.  

On 1/25/2022 at 5:18 AM, chad72 said:

I had to google Anthony Gordon, to find him on Denver's practice squad.

Josh Allen is the best, right now, but his 3 division rivals now, I think, all have QBs on cheap rookie contracts, and more spending money for other needs. I can imagine a shorter career if he plays RB too much.

Some of his coaches seem brain damaged.

One squib kickoff yesterday, I think consumed at least 5 seconds, and I'd love to see Mahomes(and Kelce and Hill) get into Butker range with 8 seconds...even with all 3 timeouts.

On 1/25/2022 at 5:18 AM, chad72 said:

On 3/8/2018 at 7:01 PM, Alex22 said:

Seriously CB should draft this guy. 

Hear me out.

Lets say Luck comes back this year but he is not good because of his shoulder injury. Where does that leave us as a team? Jacoby Brisset? 

Introducing Josh Allen - the best QB prospect since Luck. This guy will be a superstar and eventual GOAT breaking all of PM's records easily. 

He has been so underrated during the pre draft process.  

CB is in prime position to get the team back on track and erase the Grigson/Pagano era completely. 

Maybe even swing a trade during the season before the deadline elapses, getting some picks for Luck. 

All I am saying is passing on Josh Allen is a big mistake..... Whoever gets him will get a future Superbowl Champ and MVP for sure.  

Conversely if Luck works out next year we can trade Josh Allen for more picks. 

Just a quick edit here, CB should send Luck to Cleveland and in return pick up the 1 and 4 plus 2nd round and next years first. This would be seriously awesome we would have Josh Allen 2018 NFL MVP, Barkley and Chubb as well. CB would go down in history as best GM of all time. 

What do you y'all think? Let me know in the comment section below or in the poll. 

You called it. Hindsight is always 20/20 but drafting Allen instead of Nelson would look pretty good right now. The Colts scouting department should have gotten a better read on just how much Luck craves football. Then maybe they could’ve foreseen his early and abrupt retirement. 

7 hours ago, BProland85 said:

You called it. Hindsight is always 20/20 but drafting Allen instead of Nelson would look pretty good right now. The Colts scouting department should have gotten a better read on just how much Luck craves football. Then maybe they could’ve foreseen his early and abrupt retirement. 

Yep, all we needed was a crystal ball and we could have somehow foreseen something that literally nobody had any foreknowledge of. Our scouting department needs to read minds better.

On 2/1/2022 at 5:18 AM, BProland85 said:

Dear God….    

“The scouting department should have gotten a better read on how much Luck craved football”.   

This is a level of crazy that rarely shows it’s head.   Luck was the highest ranked QB out of college since Manning.  His love of football was not in question.    Once he became a Colt, it’s NOT the scouting departments job to gage Lucks love of football.   It’s the job of the GM and the HC and the owner.   

How do you think Cleveland feels?   They picked Mayfield over Allen.   How do you think the NYJets feel?   They picked Darnold over Allen. 

Taking Allen with the 6th overall pick would’ve signaled we were done with Luck and looking to trade him after one more year.  Colts Nation would’ve gone nuts.   Then they wouldn’t have enjoyed the next two years (19 & 20) as Allen learned on the job.   

You think you’re making some insightful comment based on 20/20 hindsight which you’ve already admitted is flawed.  But you did it anyway.   

• Thanks 1

@Alex22, great call with Allen but the thing is, you or nobody knew that Luck was going to retire after 2018. Luck actually had a great year in 2018. Allen is very good but to say he is great yet??, the jury is still out. He has his flaws like all QB's do today. I would take Andrew 2012-2014 over him or anyone today except Mahomes (maybe Rodgers but he is older) and Mahomes just lost in the playoffs.

Would I want Allen here, hell yes, he is very good so like I said great call but at the time we had Luck.

I think this is why a lot of fans are frustrated with the whole luck thing because there were QBs to be had if the Colts had only been able to know sooner. Im sure Andrew told them when he knew for sure. 

But its spilt milk on both topics. Theres no a lot of options. Thats the thing even if you bring in a new staff the odds of them hitting at QB is probably close to the same. 

15 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I think this is why a lot of fans are frustrated with the whole luck thing because there were QBs to be had if the Colts had only been able to know sooner. Im sure Andrew told them when he knew for sure. 

But its spilt milk on both topics. Theres no a lot of options. Thats the thing even if you bring in a new staff the odds of them hitting at QB is probably close to the same. 

“QBs to be had”??

— Baker hasn’t  proven anything yet. 
— Darnold has proven he’s not the guy.  
— Rosen has proven he’s not the guy. 

Allen has proven he is the real deal.  And it took an historically great jump in Y3 to show it.  

Jackson has proven he’s very good, but only a few teams are willing to run the type of offense the Ravens run to showcase the best of him.   So for most teams, he wasn’t an option.  That’s how he fell to the bottom of the first round. 

So, basically one out of five.  Two, if you want to count Jackson.   Anyone see the Colts drafting Jackson?   Yeah, me neither.