Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What can a healthy Luck do in Reichs offense?

RockThatBlue

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

They ran a somewhat hybrid version of Erhardt-Perkins in San Diego. Mike McCoy came up through the Panthers organization in the early 2000s, and they morphed from a WCO to an Air Coryell to an EP as different coordinators came through, but McCoy was an assistant, WR coach, QB coach, and eventual passing game coordinator, before leaving to become JM's OC in Denver, where they ran EP. He continued as OC in Denver, where they ran multiple offenses for multiple QBs -- Orton, Tebow, and Manning. In 2013, McCoy took all of that with him from Denver, and hired Whisenhunt as OC and Reich as QB coach. Reich had been Whisenhunt's WR coach in Arizona in 2012.

They installed their EP in San Diego, but Rivers had mostly been in a Coryell offense with Norv Turner, so I'm sure there was a meshing of the two. When Whisenhunt left in 2014, Reich took over as OC, and continued running EP, which is essentially what the Colts ran when he was in Indy for four years, with lots of Coryell elements.

Reich went to Philly with Pederson as the OC, where they run a WCO. To my understanding, that's the first time Reich worked on a staff that ran WCO.

In Peter King's column today, they spell out at least one of the Eagles play calls: "Gun trey left, open buster star motion … 383 X follow Y slant." True WCO terminology, but they had code words (eg "Philly special"), and Foles used a wristband that allowed Pederson to call plays out as "Wristband 145," and so on. Not sure how Foles or any other Philly QB called plays in the huddle, but most likely with the WCO terminology. Their audibles and no-huddle calls most likely used code words.

I don't know what kind of terminology Reich will install, but I bet his playbook will have some of everything in it.

Thanks Super, was looking to reading your interesting input on Reich. I like that he has some experience with all of the major systems. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

I think Luck is done. Don't you find it disturbing that Luck hasn't thrown a football since they shut him down...4 months ago?? Better work out a trade for Foles....

I think he's done, too.  Been saying it for five months.  Take Mayfield with the third pick.

1 minute ago, P'Son said:

I think he's done, too.  Been saying it for five months.  Take Mayfield with the third pick.

Very well could be..Im still cautiously optimistic..If so, I still like Brissett, but if Lamar Jackson is there in 2nd I think hard about taking him and let Reich develop him a few years as backup..

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Pretty much every QB has better efficiency numbers on play action passes -- completion percentage, yards/attempt, passer rating, etc. With or without a good run game. In 2013 and 2014, under Pep Hamilton, with Trent Richardson as one of the primary backs and an awful OL, Luck was considerably better on play action passes. We just didn't run play action nearly enough.

I wouldn't mind seeing certain games with 50% or more of our passes coming on play action. Doesn't have to be elaborate, drawn out play fakes, you don't have to take a deep shot every time. Just slow the linebackers by a split second, and the advantage goes to the offense in a number of ways.

Luck also needs to do a better job of bringing his hands up as to fake pass

when he hands off the the RB. Defenders don't have to 2nd guess the ball

was handed off with Luck standing there with hands on his sides staring

down the runner as he takes the hand off.

The little things like this make a big difference over the course of a game.

As play action helps the receivers get open air, bringing your hands into 

a passing position could open up a big gain with a linebacker being a bit

out of position instead of teeing off. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/11/eagles-super-bowl-zach-ertz-touchdown-wristband-145-mmqb-peter-king

I love this:

Reich paused the Ertz completion. “So now we showed you this motion three different times,” Reich said. “One time it went to Sproles. One time it went to Torrey Smith up the seam versus zone, now it’s to Ertz on a crossing route. We hit three different areas of the field with the same motion. So every time we are using the motion for a different reason. And there’s a different pass concept with it every time.”

“The Patriots break down this motion and don’t see you do the same thing,” I said.

“Exactly,” Reich said. “The sample size is too small to figure out what the next move is.”

“The other thing,” Pederson said, “and this is sort of a philosophy that I've brought here a little bit. I like to create plays or unique formations and motions like this in multiples of three. You have a drop back pass, you might have a screen, you might have a run, off of the same shift in motion.”

“He's always preaching that,” Reich said.

Pederson: “Because those are unique things. Teams are too smart on defense. Coordinators are too smart on defense. So they always see that same formation, same motion, and they can scheme it up. Well, what we've been able to do, sort of collaboratively here, is to take those same unique formations, shifts and motions and try to do it in multiples of three. This is the off-balance thing we try to create.”

14 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

I think Luck is done. Don't you find it disturbing that Luck hasn't thrown a football since they shut him down...4 months ago?? Better work out a trade for Foles....

I am 50/50 on it...which is the lowest I have been during this entire process. The fact that he can't throw (without pain) more than a year after surgery is very troubling.

42 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

You serious Clark?

Who would be cheaper than Manziel? I know it is premature but why have a third string that cannot play and does not know how to play? Granted, it is highly unlikely but again it is third string and all say it is way too soon to consider letting him back in but who cares what everyone says? He has an opening to go to the CFL and may go there.

3 hours ago, JColts72 said:

Lets not kid ourselves here. I would not be shocked if Luck does not come back as scheduled when ever that may be or play this year. Colts need to be smart with having a good back up or get QB  at 3 if Browns or Giants do not get one. 

If Luck is injured beyond recovery I'd just roll with Jacoby as the starter, then sign a vet to back him up until Luck returns.  

I'd love to see the old K-Gun come back into play.....

But seriously, with his years of experience in the old K-Gun (Player), Tom Moore's offense (asst coach), West Coast and RPO principles (asst coach)....Frank Reich can certainly create one heck of an offense mixing and matching multi-layer routes with short throws built in as well.

I'm pretty excited to see what he actually installs!

On what he(Bill Polian) thinks Reich will bring to the Colts' offense:

"It's going to be personnel-based. The best example of that is the fact that they altered the Philadelphia Eagles' offense to accommodate Nick Foles. Previously, the offense was designed to accommodate the gargantuan talent of Carson Wentz. But Frank and Doug Pederson - principally Frank in concept - adjusted it during the bye week, and you saw the results, all the way through the Super Bowl. So he'll be pragmatic in that regard. But there are certain things that he believes in, which Colts fans have seen before: up-tempo football, big-play football, those kinds of things. On the other hand, he takes a very balanced approach to the running game. So if you're thinking about when they finally get all their personnel pieces in place what the offense will look like, it's going to look a lot like it looked when Frank was here the last time

http://m.colts.com/s/30853/370?itemUri=-1236914702/1410141161399101413110414431128

3 hours ago, krunk said:

. But there are certain things that he believes in, which Colts fans have seen before: up-tempo football, big-play football, those kinds of things. On the other hand, he takes a very balanced approach to the running game. So if you're thinking about when they finally get all their personnel pieces in place what the offense will look like, it's going to look a lot like it looked when Frank was here the last time

Balanced offense and big plays?  From my memory, that wouldn't exactly describe the '08 - '11 era.  Couldn't run the ball at all, and it seemed most of the big plays went with Marvin.  It was Manning winning a lot of close games with flawless, efficient offense.  Even during the 14-0 start of 2009, they weren't blowing anyone out.

For fun, back in my 'ballin days I would draw up play after play after play, while attempting to come up with a new play for the same formation over and over again. My favorite look was 2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB, with the 2 WRs on the line, TEs back. A lot of motion, a lot of stretch, a lot of cutbacks.

Of course, this was while heavily watching Manning play Tom Moore's Offense. They'd attack at all levels, nearly every time. All the routes started the same, all the rushing attempts started the same. Marcus Pollard would go in motion or Justin Snow: They might be sneaking out to the flat, they might be leading a cut back. The other TE would always crack down, and then either hit the flat or sit in the middle of the zone. Reggie/Marvin's routes always looked the same for the first 5 yards, run or pass. Those stretch plays with the Zone Block were just un-real for their continued effectiveness and consistency. It allowed the whole offense to play faster, as their role was nearly the same each and every time

On 2/11/2018 at 5:42 PM, RockThatBlue said:

I know he didn't call the plays but as the OC he still obviously played a massive part in that offense.

Can Luck excel in it?

Not many people talking about the greatest comeback in NFL history or so its called Frank Reich & the Bills ,

No ones talking about Marv Levy's No Huddle offense  which we were very successful with here under Tom Moore I believe Frank Reichs experience as a player & a Coach will pay big dividends for the Colts .

I'v already mentioned in a prior post he was a Colts coach during the Manning era & he understands the situation & the pressure that comes with it . 

Jim Kelly & the Buffalo Bills were a very big deal Frank Reich was a part of some very painful SB losses he has been in many big games .

Buffalo HC Marv Levy OC Ted Marchibroda   awesome offensive minds  Frank Reichs pedigree is impressive .

One last thing for those who always want Peyton Manning IMO this is as close as you will ever get . 

Peyton Manning has expressed no interest in returning to football in any manner that I'm aware of but if he did I'm confident it would be apart of Reichs staff just my opinion .

36 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Tweet from Rob Lowe ? Or do ya have a link ? 

Hey, just going by (as we all are) on all those Luck updates of not throwing a football yet and still getting work on his shoulder. I don't want to hear another 2017 sales pitch from Ownership on him being ready if he is indeed will not be for the start of the season. Obviously we all hope he will be.

16 hours ago, King Colt said:

Who would be cheaper than Manziel? I know it is premature but why have a third string that cannot play and does not know how to play? Granted, it is highly unlikely but again it is third string and all say it is way too soon to consider letting him back in but who cares what everyone says? He has an opening to go to the CFL and may go there.

Manuel can't help in any capacity.   Tolzien at least knew the offense and could run the scout team in practice

2 hours ago, JColts72 said:

Hey, just going by (as we all are) on all those Luck updates of not throwing a football yet and still getting work on his shoulder. I don't want to hear another 2017 sales pitch from Ownership on him being ready if he is indeed will not be for the start of the season. Obviously we all hope he will be.

Ballard said he needs no more surgery so that is good news nobody gets that . 

On 2/11/2018 at 5:57 PM, J@son said:

Lot of running the ball, it's primarily a WC system, getting the ball out quickly, better levels concepts than we've seen here with Luck, more RPO etc

For the RPO to be effective, we need to have a Bell cow back to keep the defense honest. That’s not Mack, although he’s talented.

InbeforeDraftBarkley

On 2/11/2018 at 2:42 PM, RockThatBlue said:

I know he didn't call the plays but as the OC he still obviously played a massive part in that offense.

Can Luck excel in it?

Yes....   he can excel in it...

I'd be looking for far more 3-5 step drops and far fewer 7-step plays.    I'd look for a much better running game.   We want to take pressure OFF OF Luck as much as we can so he doesn't feel like he has to force things to make something happen.

Higher completion percentage...

Lower interception rate...

A more efficient, well run offense that's capable of winning a game even when Luck is NOT great.

Ballard has been pretty clear, pretty blunt, pretty direct about what he wants to build here...  a well rounded team that's capable of winning in a variety of ways.   He wants a higher level than just...   Luck does good and the Colts win;  Luck does average and the Colts lose.

Hooefully better days ahead....

4 hours ago, TheMarine said:

For fun, back in my 'ballin days I would draw up play after play after play, while attempting to come up with a new play for the same formation over and over again. My favorite look was 2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB, with the 2 WRs on the line, TEs back. A lot of motion, a lot of stretch, a lot of cutbacks.

Of course, this was while heavily watching Manning play Tom Moore's Offense. They'd attack at all levels, nearly every time. All the routes started the same, all the rushing attempts started the same. Marcus Pollard would go in motion or Justin Snow: They might be sneaking out to the flat, they might be leading a cut back. The other TE would always crack down, and then either hit the flat or sit in the middle of the zone. Reggie/Marvin's routes always looked the same for the first 5 yards, run or pass. Those stretch plays with the Zone Block were just un-real for their continued effectiveness and consistency. It allowed the whole offense to play faster, as their role was nearly the same each and every time

I caught Saturday nonsense ing after he became a talking head, and he said really we mostly ran about 12 plays.
Safe to say through code words, hand signals, nods, winks, there were many variations of each play. It worked.

26 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Ballard said he needs no more surgery so that is good news nobody gets that . 

And Jim said he was to be ready for 2017 opening day which in turn really PO those season ticket fans.

23 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well the doom and gloom crowd always looks for negativity. And when they can't find it, their imagination takes over. :D

Not about doom and gloom here; just keeping it real for u rose colored eye glasses fans are who expecting 2016 Luck.  I am not the only one who thinks Luck may be done. But for some reason here; u have a different opinion, and people are taken aback. Pretty much sounds like USA now.

17 hours ago, JColts72 said:

Maybe Frank can pry Foles from Eagles?

I'm not totally sold that the Eagles don't have an offensive system where almost any QB can excel in it, much like the Patriots system.

I hope Reich can bring that here so Luck and Brisset won't

struggle so much.

48 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

And Jim said he was to be ready for 2017 opening day which in turn really PO those season ticket fans.

Not about doom and gloom here; just keeping it real for u rose colored eye glasses fans are who expecting 2016 Luck.  I am not the only one who thinks Luck may be done. But for some reason here; u have a different opinion, and people are taken aback. Pretty much sounds like USA now.

Jim Irsay is the Colts biggest fan he had an opinion just like you do & neither is perfect .

This is Feb 2018 6 months from the start of preseason , 

You might think Luck is done ?:spit: Based on your observation :nono:  So your a Doctor ? When was your examination ? 

Okay I'll play along keeping it real , is yours a personal opinion ? Based on years of medical experience ? Or is it just a need to feed your ego ? By Trolling Optimistic fans who believe your opinions is wack a doodle ?