Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Foles to back up Andrew ...Good or bad idea ?????

HOF19

5 minutes ago, J@son said:

See 2013 when Foles had the Eagles (under Chip Kelly) set as the #1 seed heading into the playoffs before getting hurt.  

I guess. I really don't care honestly. But if he was so great he'd be the starter to me.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, J@son said:

you do understand though that about 95% of the teams in the league have implemented RPO into their playbooks?  Chip wasn't the first by any stretch.  The pats have been doing it for quite a while.  

Oh? So explain to me why Foles has sucked everywhere besides Philly? Even with Andy Reid in KC?

1 minute ago, IinD said:

I guess. I really don't care honestly. But if he was so great he'd be the starter to me.

I mean Kurt Warner was stocking groceries at 1 point..Sometimes a guy just needs an opportunity. .Foles has proven his worth twice now in 2 different situations..

1 minute ago, colt18 said:

Oh? So explain to me why Foles has sucked everywhere besides Philly? Even with Andy Reid in KC?

I'm not going to explain anything until you do a little research on your own so you'll have some sort of clue what you're talking about.  In what way did Foles suck with Andy Reid in KC?  He started 1 game and played in 3.  He completed over 65% of his passes with 3 TDs and 0 INTs.  How is that sucking? 

The only place he "sucked" was with StL and he's hardly the only QB to have sucked under that coaching staff.  The team was a dumpster fire at the time.  

6 minutes ago, J@son said:

See 2013 when Foles had the Eagles (under Chip Kelly) set as the #1 seed heading into the playoffs before getting hurt.  

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I remember him being in the MVP conversation then too...

God or bad IMO Foles days of being a backup are numbered. There is not much more a QB can do to earn a look from teams needing a starter.

3 minutes ago, J@son said:

I'm not going to explain anything until you do a little research on your own so you'll have some sort of clue what you're talking about.  In what way did Foles suck with Andy Reid in KC?  He started 1 game and played in 3.  He completed over 65% of his passes with 3 TDs and 0 INTs.  How is that sucking? 

The only place he "sucked" was with StL and he's hardly the only QB to have sucked under that coaching staff.  The team was a dumpster fire at the time.  

Okay, "sucked" may be a bit of an exaggeration for his time in KC. He played three games, started one against the Jags. Didn't play all that well in his lone start, but okay he didn't suck there.

He definitely sucked in STL, we agree on that. 

I don't think it would be a good idea to overpay Foles to backup Luck when he's only been great in a system tailored to him. He's a system QB, and we don't have a system yet. I think we should figure that out first.

5 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Okay, "sucked" may be a bit of an exaggeration for his time in KC. He played three games, started one against the Jags. Didn't play all that well in his lone start, but okay he didn't suck there.

I don't think it would be a good idea to overpay Foles to backup Luck when he's only been great in a system tailored to him. He's a system QB, and we don't have a system yet. I think we should figure that out first.

We don't need him here unless Luck isn't going to be back, Brissett is a high quality backup..He is going to get a shot somewhere soon...Hopefully not Jacksonville. .

8 minutes ago, colt18 said:

I've seen enough of Foles to know he's not by any means a "system QB".  He can play in any system so long as the coaching staff and playcalling are remotely competent.  Colin Kaepernick was a "system QB".  

All that said though, I do agree we don't need him here.  If we were to find out Luck would never return to 100%, i would rather have Foles than Brisset, but as of now we certainly shouldn't give up the draft picks it will require to obtain Foles.

3 minutes ago, J@son said:

I've seen enough of Foles to know he's not by any means a "system QB".  He can play in any system so long as the coaching staff and playcalling are remotely competent.  Colin Kaepernick was a "system QB".  

All that said though, I do agree we don't need him here.  If we were to find out Luck would never return to 100%, i would rather have Foles than Brisset, but as of now we certainly shouldn't give up the draft picks it will require to obtain Foles.

I could see Coughlin offering a 1st to bring him to Jacksonville, they got Bortles 1 more yr and will have to eat that salary , but they are a QB away from being dominant..

2 minutes ago, J@son said:

I agree.  As far as Foles is concerned there are more than a couple of teams needing a QB. I would imagine Elway's light just went off in his head.

11 minutes ago, J@son said:

Foles is the textbook definition of a system QB; up to this point, all of his success has come from elements of one system. Kaep was another case of that, I don't know why you brought him up.

1 minute ago, colt18 said:

Foles is the textbook definition of a system QB; up to this point, all of his success has come from elements of one system. Kaep was another case of that, I don't know why you brought him up.

I brought Kaep up because he is a system QB.  Foles is not.  I can somewhat see why you would think that based on what you've seen of him so far in the NFL.  

You keep saying he's a system QB because he needs the RPO...that's not a scheme or system, that's a particular concept that can be implemented regardless of scheme (Air Coryell, WC etc).  And as I said, over 90% (if not 100%) of the teams in the league have RPO built into various plays in their playbook so if you say he requires RPO in order to succeed, then he could succeed with about 90% of the teams in the league if not more.

3 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Foles will want to be QB1. As he deserves to be.

Why do you assume this (the deserves to be part)?  Do you value his last 2 or 3 games over the entire resume of his career?  Didn't this same player have an unbelievable season only to never be able to capture that magic again?

2 minutes ago, J@son said:

I brought Kaep up because he is a system QB.  Foles is not.  I can somewhat see why you would think that based on what you've seen of him so far in the NFL.  

You keep saying he's a system QB because he needs the RPO...that's not a scheme or system, that's a particular concept that can be implemented regardless of scheme (Air Coryell, WC etc).  And as I said, over 90% (if not 100%) of the teams in the league have RPO built into various plays in their playbook so if you say he requires RPO in order to succeed, then he could succeed with about 90% of the teams in the league if not more.

No, I say he's a system QB because he thrives in a particular system (of which the RPO is a part of) and hasn't shown success outside of it. Also, 90% of the league does not heavily rely on the RPO. The Chiefs, Bengals, and Panthers are examples of teams that implement the concept, but it is nowhere as common as you are making it seem.

Btw, I never said the Run-Pass option was a scheme. Please don't assume things I never said. 

6 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Why do you assume this (the deserves to be part)?  Do you value his last 2 or 3 games over the entire resume of his career?  Didn't this same player have an unbelievable season only to never be able to capture that magic again?

He did well a few years ago as the starter for the Eagles. The trade blew away his career, almost. However, it's not easy to win in the playoffs and win against the Patriots in the Super Bowl. That deserves a starting role in my opinion. Not trying to discredit Wentz, he's a great QB. But I feel like the Eagles are in a bit of a predicament most likely.

11 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Pretty sure he just captured it again.  He sucked under Jeff Fisher.  Most QBs have.   Look what Goff did this year.

11 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Injury and the Rams derailed his career. Hard to capture any magic under those issues.

I think peoples concept of team building is a bit distorted. If you have Cam Newton as your back up QB with the overall team unchanged last year this is still not a playoff team. Why would Foles want to come here? I can assure you they won't be chasing him out of town with pitchforks now.   Focus on building and solidifying the trenches and everything else will take shape. This isn't rocket science NE had there run because they found talent in the Draft and continue to solidify the trenches. I'd love to see Brady's numbers if he was on the Colts the last 6years he'd have his mind made up about retiring that much I'm sure of.  

Foles will not be moving anywhere to be a backup .... he isn’t top tier talent but he is a good QB. He just needs the right coaching and offense to run! Take him and put him on say the broncos .... that’s a winning team! 

Plus with what he did last night ( SB ) he is going to get paid ... and I don’t want to pay a backup that much. Let him go be a starter somewhere that needs a QB badly and is willing to throw the world at him .... Houston and OSSY style! 

4 hours ago, HOF19 said:

A lot of talk on ESPN this morning about should Eagles trade Foles so it made me wonder if the Colts would stop and consider that or not  !

That's a really bad idea because first of all we already have Brissett which is a lot cheaper than Foles would be and he already has a past with McDaniels. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

The Colts have their own Foles in Brissett. He’s a high end backup just as Foles is that could be a starter in the right situation.  Why replace something with the samething you already have?

And at a far cheaper price.  

2 hours ago, colt18 said:

No, I say he's a system QB because he thrives in a particular system (of which the RPO is a part of) and hasn't shown success outside of it. Also, 90% of the league does not heavily rely on the RPO. The Chiefs, Bengals, and Panthers are examples of teams that implement the concept, but it is nowhere as common as you are making it seem.

Btw, I never said the Run-Pass option was a scheme. Please don't assume things I never said. 

I never said other teams rely heavily on the RPO. Please don't assume things I never said. 

What system specifically are you referring to that he allegedly hasn't shown any success outside of?