Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The highest grades Colts.... all on defense??

ColtsBlitz

2 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Not surprised at all. The offense hung them out to dry. With a must better roster and a healthy Luck they’ll look a lot better.

Agreed, 2-9 with leads at the mid point of the 4th quarter means the Defense got tired, mentally or physically.

2 hours ago, a06cc said:

Not surprised at all. The offense hung them out to dry. With a must better roster and a healthy Luck they’ll look a lot better.

Absolutely!!!

Remember, how our D in 2012 kept games close and Luck had several comebacks??? We just did not play enough complementary football. 

Time of possession can be a misleading stat if you look at just a game or two but I did find it interesting that 8 out of the 12 playoff teams in both conferences are in the Top 12 in time of possession for the entire year:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot

We did play 4 out of the bottom 8 teams in TOP while finishing 24th in the league.

That is also the reason why I felt the Ravens and Chargers would have been better playoff teams had they gotten in. 

3 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

This cant be true.  Sheard sucks Woods sucks. Farley sucks. Melvin got hurt so he sucks......  etc etc etc

Lol. That pretty much sums up this fan base. But in all seriousness we have really solid pieces on defense. Our offense is actually more of a ? mainly because Luck has been out. 

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Absolutely!!!

Remember, how our D in 2012 kept games close and Luck had several comebacks??? We just did not play enough complementary football. 

Time of possession can be a misleading stat if you look at just a game or two but I did find it interesting that 8 out of the 12 playoff teams in both conferences are in the Top 12 in time of possession for the entire year:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot

We did play 4 out of the bottom 8 teams in TOP while finishing 24th in the league.

That is also the reason why I felt the Ravens and Chargers would have been better playoff teams had they gotten in. 

Think we might be looking at time of possesion the wrong way around. It's not purely an offensive stat but is quite often a function of how quickly a defense can get the ball back.

It can't be a coincidence that the top 6 or 7 teams on that list pretty much correlate with the top 6 or 7 teams in terms of yards allowed.

The defense as a whole were bad though there were some promising individual signs in the secondary however thats on them. We can't deflect their performances onto the offense.

3 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Lol. That pretty much sums up this fan base. But in all seriousness we have really solid pieces on defense. Our offense is actually more of a ? mainly because Luck has been out. 

It's not just Luck being out. The offense needs serious attention...and not just the OL. The Colts need to draft a RB, sign 1-2 FA WRs and draft one as well. And I wouldn't be surprised if McDaniels looks to bring in a TE.

Fortunately, they have the resources to get it done. So McDaniels and Ballard can get to work. If I was GM, I would probably be looking at: 

OL - $15-20M (if I can get two players), 2nd-4th round pick 

WR - $8-10M, 2nd-4th round pick

RB - 2nd-3rd round pick 

After that, it's all defense. 

3 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I cant even respond to people like that half this fan base makes my head blow up and my blood boil some do not even watch the games they look at the score and records and make hilarious claims props to you for laughing at it

I have always on here backed up our defense and put a lot of the blame primarily on coaches and offense the defense is gonna ball soon and then when the offense click boy oh boy sundays are going to be fun and hopefully mcdaniels helps us not be in positions that give us all fans heart problems

47 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Defense only

It is actually the full roster, just happens all our top performers are defense.

@Luck 4 president I agree I am bit surprised at no Castonzo but I think his grades weren't great for first part of the season.  If you looked at the last 6 games though I would wager he was top 5.

Edit: just had a look and he grades at 82.0 so just misses the cut:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/anthony-castonzo/6174

3 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Kinda surprised Castonzo isn’t on there. He played his best football this year and was one of the better LTs in the league.

His grade was 82, just below Farley. But that was 10th best among all tackles. Farley was #25 S. Hankins was #20 interior DL. Melvin was #17 CB and Sheard was #9 edge.

2 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Side Note: Before I opened the thread, I thought for sure it was going to be Malik Hooker.

average according to pff, and i agree!

he really didnt do much other than those three picks.  one of them was on a badly thrown hail mary

the other two were pretty good 

43 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

average according to pff, and i agree!

he really didnt do much other than those three picks.  one of them was on a badly thrown hail mary

the other two were pretty good 

Average is a bit misleading. Yes, it was average in pff's terms, but his grade (just a bit below 80) was at the very top echelon of average. The same can be said about Quincy Wilson. His grade is a bit over 80, which is very-very good for a rookie. Not Lattimore-good, but still, very good.

Btw, overall, the whole 2017 defense was a lot better than the 2016 defense. A LOT. Numbers often don't tell the whole story. For example where did the Jaguars offense finished in the seasion in scoring? Stop here for a moment, don't read further, just make your guess. :)

Ok, so the Jaguars finished as the #5 scoring team in the league. Even if I remove defensive points, they were still the #8 best scoring offense in the league. How? Well, not because Bortles. Because their defense helped them tremendously. They've been given soo many turnovers, short fields, etc., etc.

Imagine, if the Colts had a top5 offense, how this 2017 defense could've looked. And imagine, how this defense could've looked with a bit better pass rush, more sacks, more turnovers. I belive this defense is not that far from where we want them to be as many people think they are.

3 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

Average is a bit misleading. Yes, it was average in pff's terms, but his grade (just a bit below 80) was at the very top echelon of average. The same can be said about Quincy Wilson. His grade is a bit over 80, which is very-very good for a rookie. Not Lattimore-good, but still, very good.

Btw, overall, the whole 2017 defense was a lot better than the 2016 defense. A LOT. Numbers often don't tell the whole story. For example where did the Jaguars offense finished in the seasion in scoring? Stop here for a moment, don't read further, just make your guess. :)

Ok, so the Jaguars finished as the #5 scoring team in the league. Even if I remove defensive points, they were still the #8 best scoring offense in the league. How? Well, not because Bortles. Because their defense helped them tremendously. They've been given soo many turnovers, short fields, etc., etc.

Imagine, if the Colts had a top5 offense, how this 2017 defense could've looked. And imagine, how this defense could've looked with a bit better pass rush, more sacks, more turnovers. I belive this defense is not that far from where we want them to be as many people think they are.

i agree with a lot of what you said, but people around here are acting like hooker was awesome or our best player last year

i think he was ok and can be a good player but he didnt do all that much outside of those picks.  one of them was nothing special really, just a bad throw on a hail mary.  the other two were good plays 

8 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

Think we might be looking at time of possesion the wrong way around. It's not purely an offensive stat but is quite often a function of how quickly a defense can get the ball back.

It can't be a coincidence that the top 6 or 7 teams on that list pretty much correlate with the top 6 or 7 teams in terms of yards allowed.

The defense as a whole were bad though there were some promising individual signs in the secondary however thats on them. We can't deflect their performances onto the offense.

You are right, those are also factors. However, the mental fatigue eventually wears out the D, especially a young one, without much points support from the offense and the high number of snaps catching up to them. Heck, it did so at the highest level, to the Falcons' D in the SB and TOP caught up to them.

I would like a break down by quarter for time of possession, that might tell a different story.

8 hours ago, DraftMaster said:

Jabaal Sheard ranks 9 among OLB's on PFF and has an elite ranking so I know you just didn't say Sheard sucks...

Sheard is elite? Hard to take that seriously.  Solid player, but elite he is not.