Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bears to Hire Nagy

Indeee

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

This likely seals the deal for McDaniels. CHI was reportedly the main competition for McDaniels. Maybe they knew McDaniels to Indy was a done deal and went ahead with Nagy.

I doubt it. From early reports, CHI was high on Nagy and Nagy really liked Trubisky. They probably also wanted to sign him before anyone else got the chance to. Colts haven't interviewed all their candidates either(Wilks has yet to interview). Right now, the highest chance to land the HC job is probably McDaniels, though.

54 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Everything I've read thus far suggests the job is McDaniels' if he wants it, and that it was between the Colts and Bears for him. With the Bears job filled, it's hard to imagine the Colts going with someone else now.

Yep. I wouldn't be surprised if it is already a done deal...and CHI knew it and moved on to Nagy.

3 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

I doubt it. From early reports, CHI was high on Nagy and Nagy really liked Trubisky. They probably also wanted to sign him before anyone else got the chance to. Colts haven't interviewed all their candidates either(Wilks has yet to interview). Right now, the highest chance to land the HC job is probably McDaniels, though.

The RPO seems like a good fit for Trubisky. And if you are Nagy, without an offer in hand from Ballard, you probably take the CHI job.

I just think there's a good chance McDaniels is a done deal...unless we hear about Toub in the next 48 hours. I don't see Ballard hiring a DC to be the HC. I think he's open-minded enough to interview them...but he is going to have be absolutely blown away to go that route. And I don't think Wilks, Richard or Vrabel is going to do that.

Of course I could be wrong...and there's a lot of misdirection at this point. 

I think Josh is the smartest move here, regardless of everyone's emotional reactions towards him. It seems quite simple to me:

1) The success of the "Patriot" culture. Regardless of possible power struggles or not, the Pats culture is a culture where everybody that has come and gone have bought in 100%, even frigging Randy Moss. That is HUGE in consistently fielding a winner on and off the field.

2) The "Patriots" offensive system. This system is designed to allow the QB to get the ball oput quickly with high percentage routes and option reads. This again is HUGE for a lot of reasons.

One reason is that I'm not sure the O-line will be solidified in one year, it might be, but in case it's not, a system like the "Patriots" scheme offensively will do wonders to keep the QB upright and protected.

Second reason: If Luck somehow isn't healthy and Brisett has to play again, Brissett excelled in this system and knows Josh. A lot of criticism with jacoby was holding ball too long, although I had attributed this to two apparent things. Horrible Chud scheme on wide receiver route trees/scheme(too long to develop) and unfamiliarity with WR tendencies of route running leading to indecisiveness. 

McDaniels instantly transforms the Colts into something we as fans have wanted for a long time.

This isn't a 'WIN NOW' mentality by Ballard, this always was a 2-3 year project until wrongs were righted.

Year one has come and gone, on to year 2

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not really sure. I like him mainly because he and Ballard have ties and had great chemistry in KC. At least that is what has been said by the media. He is still fairly young as well at 55, not young but not real old either. On NFL Live just now, the guys were saying the Bears were fearing we were going to hire Nagy is why they pulled the trigger.

There could be something to that.  If you really know who you want why *foot around?  Sign the man and get rolling.   I hope Ballard doesn't get to cute and loses his guy.  It is the first time he's doing this. 

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

There could be something to that.  If you really know who you want why *foot around?  Sign the man and get rolling.   I hope Ballard doesn't get to cute and loses his guy.  It is the first time he's doing this. 

I honestly think he interviewed "his guy" last Wednesday.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Just reported that Wilks is interviewing with the Giants Tuesday and the Cardinals Wednesday.  Colts?  Could this hiring convince Ballard we're done and we announce an agreement with McDaniels's?

I'm not sure Wilks ever makes it to the Cards interview. From what I have read the Giants "Really" want Wilks

I also believe that if McDaniels and the Colts already know they are going to end up together, I could see Ballard and McDaniels agreeing to not say a word to anyone out of respect for the Pats having a game to prepare for and all that junk. No media leaks/distraction from current situation

Just my thought, right or wrong

JM seems like the most likely in the public’s opinion, but when Ballard speaks he talks as if it’s not what you think it’s going to be.  Who knows but if Richard or Wilkes can give us that great defense or if  McDaniels can give us that great offense ...that’s tempting either way. 

3 hours ago, DonnieDarko1023 said:

I don’t think the plan is to go after an offensive coach......Ballard said “he wants a coach that’s not there for Andrew Luck”....sounds like he wants a defensive minded coach to me

Well I'd say Matt Patricia, but we haven't interviewed him yet and I heard he's going to the Lions, so maybe Mike Vrabel?

4 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

What's the love affair with McDaniels? 

I like him because:

1.) Good offensive coaches will provide play-calling that offers a faster QB release to keep Luck's sack count to a minimum. We are in dire need of sack prevention, and while a good o-line helps, we need a coach who provides better play-calling and coaching to keep our QB's from not holding onto the ball for so long.

2.) We already have a former Patriots QB who worked with McDaniels. If Luck -- god forbid -- can never play football again, I like our chances going forward with Brissett, or keep in mind we own the 3rd overall pick so if we wanted to draft a QB, who better to coach him than McDaniels?

3.) It weakens the Patriots. If McDaniels doesn't get a job somewhere, I'm certain he's going back to the Patriots, and I would rather not see that happen.

4.) He's young for a coach, but not young enough that he's inexperienced. This isn't his first rodeo as a head coach, and he's said he learned a lot in his first foray in coaching the Broncos.

5.) We've wasted several years of Luck's career. No more fooling around. It's time to put all our chips on red and go for broke. We're not going to get that done with a defensive coach.

4 hours ago, DonnieDarko1023 said:

I don’t think the plan is to go after an offensive coach......Ballard said “he wants a coach that’s not there for Andrew Luck”....sounds like he wants a defensive minded coach to me

That doesn't read like that to me. I think he's saying that he wants a coach who doesn't come here solely for Luck. That doesn't rule out an offensive minded coach. If a coach comes here because he wants to be a part of the organization and likes Ballard/Irsay in addition to Luck, then that's who Ballard is looking for.

If McDaniels does in fact get the nod, it'll be interesting to see who he brings in as DC...

Not sure who it was, but a poster mentioned Al Holcomb, linebackers coach from Carolina... If he can translate what he's done with Kuechly & Davis, to the overall defense, then the team may be onto something...

7 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

In two years the headline will read "Bears Fire Nagy"  Seriously, I hope it works out for them.  Always liked the Bears and want them to be successful.

It could also read Colts fire Ballard, if he screws this up. All of these guys are interesting and can bring something that we all would like to have in Indy. Exciting time to be a Colts fan. Only time will tell i suppose.

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not really sure. I like him mainly because he and Ballard have ties and had great chemistry in KC. At least that is what has been said by the media. He is still fairly young as well at 55, not young but not real old either. On NFL Live just now, the guys were saying the Bears were fearing we were going to hire Nagy is why they pulled the trigger.

55 is fairly young? Maybe for a job like President but a first time football HC? The good news is he’s only 7 years from Social Security eligibility, so he can always fall back on that when he gets canned along with the GM in a few years.

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

55 is fairly young? Maybe for a job like President but a first time football HC? The good news is he’s only 7 years from Social Security eligibility, so he can always fall back on that when he gets canned along with the GM in a few years.

I Posted 55 isn't young but it is fairly young for a Coach. If you think 55 is old for a coach you need to do some research. Bill Belichick is 65, Pete Carroll is 66, Nick Saban is 66, and Jon Gruden is 54 and just signed a 10 yr deal. When Tom Coughlin won his 2 SB's over the Pats he was in his 60's. So what I posted was 100% correct, 55 isn't old for a Coach. I just gave you several big names that have had tons of success that are way older.

16 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i like the offense he runs in NE

im not excited over a special teams coach 

I agree the offense he runs is good. 

I just don't think he's HC material. He hasn't done anything good on his own (Denver HC, Rams OC) outside of Hoodie's tutoring. 

15 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I like him because:

1.) Good offensive coaches will provide play-calling that offers a faster QB release to keep Luck's sack count to a minimum. We are in dire need of sack prevention, and while a good o-line helps, we need a coach who provides better play-calling and coaching to keep our QB's from not holding onto the ball for so long.

2.) We already have a former Patriots QB who worked with McDaniels. If Luck -- god forbid -- can never play football again, I like our chances going forward with Brissett, or keep in mind we own the 3rd overall pick so if we wanted to draft a QB, who better to coach him than McDaniels?

3.) It weakens the Patriots. If McDaniels doesn't get a job somewhere, I'm certain he's going back to the Patriots, and I would rather not see that happen.

4.) He's young for a coach, but not young enough that he's inexperienced. This isn't his first rodeo as a head coach, and he's said he learned a lot in his first foray in coaching the Broncos.

5.) We've wasted several years of Luck's career. No more fooling around. It's time to put all our chips on red and go for broke. We're not going to get that done with a defensive coach.

1) I think his offensive scheme (if it is his system) is good. Getting the ball out fast is what the Colts need to help Luck, Brissett, O-Line, everyone. He's a good OC. Head coach though? Ehhhh.....

2) When Brady was screaming at him, he just let him. Does he command respect? 

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/12/3/16730566/tom-brady-josh-mcdaniels-fight-patriots-screaming

3) He has literally done nothing without Bilicheck and Brady. (Denver, Rams) 

4) I don't think it weakens the Pats that much. The only thing that'll weaken the Pats is if Hoodie leaves, and/or Brady retires. 

I wanted Nagy as the HC, but that's not going to happen now he's with the Bears. I agree we don't need a defensive minded HC. What the Colts need is a real DC.