Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

KC coaches

AlanNC

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think you as well as a handful of posters on this board don’t truly understand what the role of an NFL coach is. It’s not just about playcalling and scheme. There are a bunch of coaches in the league who don’t call plays on either side of the ball. It’s about Leadership, game management, adjustments, pre-game preparation, setting lineups, teaching, assembling the right staff, discipline, keeping the locker room in check, and getting players to buy into a belief system.

Rex Ryan for example was great at calling defensive plays for the Jets but was very bad at keeping the locker room in check and assembled a poor staff.

Thanks, but I'm well aware of what head coaching responsibilities entail. ....When you try to highlight the lesser aspects of the job like  are equal to gameplanning and schematics you lose me.....

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

Jimmy G could have made us a playoff team, as a poster told you above.

PS Oh swell, you have a higher reputation. We'll, I gave up weed years ago so it's not really a contest. 

You may have stopped smoking it but your posts tonight make it look like you've taken to drinking the bong water

55 minutes ago, scooter4910 said:

After that showing does this mean Ballard/Irsay will be leaning towards McDaniel? Since the Pats will probably be going to the SB again I guess no HC announcement until Feb.

You can reach an agreement and negotiate contract now.  He can't officially sign until their season ends. 

47 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

Yeah true. Who knows ?  Maybe Toub can  put together the staff of staffs . None of these guys is overly exciting at this point imo. Kind of like Richards .   

That is the key for sure. Toab has been in the league a long time and has a very good reputation and would guess between he and Ballard they would have a very good chance of putting together an excellent staff.

What saved the Chiefs season was when Reid handed the play calling over to Nagy and he got back to basics.  Run he ball to set up play action and attack.  I loved Dungy’s assessment when NBC showed the post game highlights - when the scripted plays were over the Chiefs forgot their identity.   

Some coaches dont carry with them what you’d expect.  Brian Billick famously is the offensive guru who takes over the Ravens and it’s all about D.  Dungy and the Colts.   Lots of examples.  The Chiefs coaches aren’t dead to me.  But wow I hope the Colts goal isn’t to emulate the Chiefs.  

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

Thanks, but I'm well aware of what head coaching responsibilities entail. ....When you try to highlight the lesser aspects of the job like  are equal to gameplanning and schematics you lose me.....

Then you missed the part where I said “assemble a good staff”. It’s the OC and DC’s job to scheme and call plays. All the coach needs to do is come up with a gameplan beforehand and then just dictate how the game goes. Does he want to run it outside? He can tell the OC to run a stretch play? Want to get pressure up the middle? Have the DC coordinator call a MLB. The HC doesn’t have to specifically oversee every call of the game. He just needs to control the flow.

1 hour ago, hoosierhawk said:

That is the key for sure. Toab has been in the league a long time and has a very good reputation and would guess between he and Ballard they would have a very good chance of putting together an excellent staff.

Maybe... Neither has PROVEN anything yet. The jury is still out on Ballard himself on what type of gm he can become as a first timer and Toub has NEVER been a hc even with the good reputation. I recall Grigson winning the EOY in his first season as gm and you see how that turned out.

4 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Maybe... Neither has PROVEN anything yet. The jury is still out on Ballard himself on what type of gm he can become as a first timer and Toub has NEVER been a hc even with the good reputation. I recall Grigson winning the EOY in his first season as gm and you see how that turned out.

Exactly^^^^---  All this talk of Ballard being the savior is way too pre mature.

Hopefully he can put a good staff together but I don't expect finding the right combination very easy or very soon.

Tonight Matt Nagy showed why he´s NOT the right fit for the Headcoaching job at the Colts. 

Without Kelce the Chiefs failed big time, and the play calling was rubbish.

Look at how McDaniels managed to win games without Brady, Gronk and other key players with exceptionel play calling.

If its down to those two, I would take McDaniels any day. 

8 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Exactly!  Why he should NEVER be considered HC material. ..

But his ST units have always always been one of if not the best in the NFL. He's been around the league long enough has a good reputation and his units are always one of the best I think he would be a great hire. Reid or Nagy blew this game by only giving Hunt 4 carries in the 2nd half with the lead, nah why would they wanna chew the clock with their very good HB? Reid did that a lot in Philly so I bet he was the one calling the plays.

11 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

You wouldn't be basing your opinion off of this one game would you?

Also they are a playoff team. Good coaching is a part of that.

Ask yourself this question: do you think Pagano could've led this Chiefs team to the playoffs? I believe he could. He has proven that. Plus, won games there.

So what are our standards? Are we fine with a new HC, who can bring us to the playoffs, like Pagano did for us, when the roster was good enough? My standards are higher than that.

10 hours ago, azcolt said:

Jimmy G could have made us a playoff team, as a poster told you above.

PS Oh swell, you have a higher reputation. We'll, I gave up weed years ago so it's not really a contest. 

So trade a high first or second round pick for a backup qb. For 1 year?! If Ballard did this he would of been fired on the spot.

12 hours ago, azcolt said:

The GM had as thin a resume as these two assistant coaches, so it makes sense he'd want one of them. Heaven forbid if he hired someone more qualified than he is like a Gruden or Harbaugh.

Gruden will be fired after 4 years he is washed up and average coach who happen to win a superbowl with dungys defense 

3 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

Ask yourself this question: do you think Pagano could've led this Chiefs team to the playoffs? I believe he could. He has proven that. Plus, won games there.

So what are our standards? Are we fine with a new HC, who can bring us to the playoffs, like Pagano did for us, when the roster was good enough? My standards are higher than that.

The guy is an offensive coordinator. He has no control what so ever of the defense or special teams play calls or players.

By that logic the Colts should only hire whichever teams coaches make it to the SB.

I will say that it seemed Andy Reid took over a lot of the play calling in yesterday's game. I'm not sure how much impact Nagy had at all on the Chiefs success in the first or meltdown in the second.

Andy Reid even said after the game that he was calling some of the plays. I didn't make much of his "Nagy called the good plays and I called the bad plays" quote though. Reid wouldn't throw Nagy under the bus even if Nagy had called "the bad plays."

I think it became OC by committee last night though. Both Reid and Nagy probably basically swapped, called plays when they thought they saw something, etc.

I was never too big on Nagy but this game didn't change my opinion either way really.

Re: KC’s exit ... and yet again an Andy Reid team fails in the playoffs.  I think he has been long over rated.  That said, what to think of his comment earlier this year when he said Nagy is the best HC candidate he’s seen in, what was it, thirty years?

12 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Re: KC’s exit ... and yet again an Andy Reid team fails in the playoffs.  I think he has been long over rated.  That said, what to think of his comment earlier this year when he said Nagy is the best HC candidate he’s seen in, what was it, thirty years?

But he didn’t trust him to finish calling the game after helping them build an 18 point lead...  I don’t think either of us believe that line of crap Reid was shoveling.  And he doesn’t believe it either. 

Reid’s coaching tree is solid.  Pederson, McDermott, Harbaugh, Rivera... all worked on Reid’s staff.  Even Bowles and the Jets were far more successful than most anticipated this season.  The last coach Reid handed play-calling duties to was Pederson, and the Eagles success is tough to argue against.   

NFL Films had a good short film, a round table discussion with all of the above guys from about a year ago which is a good watch.  It provided me with a better understanding about why, and how, so many Reid disciples get HC opportunities. I’m on my phone or I’d link it.  Easy google search tho - nfl films andy Reid coaching tree.  

I still don’t understand the Toub fascination.  Great leader of men?  Sounds generic.  And didn’t we just have that guy for a HC?

”His OC/DC will call plays/defenses.”  Okay, then his forte is picking coordinators?  

I’m not saying anything bad about him, I just don’t get why we want a guy who’s specialty is STs to be our HC?  Why hasn’t someone made him a coordinator in all these years if he’s so talented?

16 hours ago, Buddy Lee said:

Maybe Ballard should cancel the interview with Nagy and bring Shurmer in instead? Kidding of course, but I have liked Shurmer better all along.

Hey I been saying the same thing I don't get it he seems like a more logical choice then some!! I would love me Shurmer at least for an interview! Maybe he's not the right fit??:scratch:

13 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think you as well as a handful of posters on this board don’t truly understand what the role of an NFL coach is. It’s not just about playcalling and scheme. There are a bunch of coaches in the league who don’t call plays on either side of the ball. It’s about Leadership, game management, adjustments, pre-game preparation, setting lineups, teaching, assembling the right staff, discipline, keeping the locker room in check, and getting players to buy into a belief system.

Rex Ryan for example was great at calling defensive plays for the Jets but was very bad at keeping the locker room in check and assembled a poor staff.

Sounds like we should hire Rex!

The Lions, Cards, Bears and Giants are all interviewing Shurmur. He has HC experience. His Browns teams won 9 games during the '11 '12 seasons. That doesn't seem like a fail to me. Heck, that's success for the Browns.

To me, he's a far superior candidate to Nagy. Reid may call Nagy the best HC candidate he's had in 30 years, but you saw yesterday that when it was time for the rubber to meet the road in the 4th quarter Andy had his play sheet out and looked like he took over some of the play calling from Nagy. Lack of trust?

14 hours ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

What saved the Chiefs season was when Reid handed the play calling over to Nagy and he got back to basics.  Run he ball to set up play action and attack.  I loved Dungy’s assessment when NBC showed the post game highlights - when the scripted plays were over the Chiefs forgot their identity.   

Some coaches dont carry with them what you’d expect.  Brian Billick famously is the offensive guru who takes over the Ravens and it’s all about D.  Dungy and the Colts.   Lots of examples.  The Chiefs coaches aren’t dead to me.  But wow I hope the Colts goal isn’t to emulate the Chiefs.  

Love the Lydell Mitchell Picture/card!!  

The fascination with Toub is that he knows how to manage. A great head coach is a manager of the team. He has to have enough confidence that he will hire a good staff as opposed to being intimidated that someone may know more than he does.  A good head coach when he comes to interview needs to have an offense, a defense and special teams that he wants to run and the team then runs what the head coach wants. If you hire an offensive coordinator who is simply going to turn the defense over to someone else it will fail every time. 

the thought on toub is that he will demand that each position coach do his job according to the scheme and standard that is set. 

In otherwords he understands the whole picture.

2 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

The fascination with Toub is that he knows how to manage. A great head coach is a manager of the team. He has to have enough confidence that he will hire a good staff as opposed to being intimidated that someone may know more than he does.  A good head coach when he comes to interview needs to have an offense, a defense and special teams that he wants to run and the team then runs what the head coach wants. If you hire an offensive coordinator who is simply going to turn the defense over to someone else it will fail every time. 

the thought on toub is that he will demand that each position coach do his job according to the scheme and standard that is set. 

Toub will literally turn the offense and defense over to someone else so in your line of thinking wouldn't he fail every time as well??

33 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

The Lions, Cards, Bears and Giants are all interviewing Shurmur. He has HC experience. His Browns teams won 9 games during the '11 '12 seasons. That doesn't seem like a fail to me. Heck, that's success for the Browns.

To me, he's a far superior candidate to Nagy. Reid may call Nagy the best HC candidate he's had in 30 years, but you saw yesterday that when it was time for the rubber to meet the road in the 4th quarter Andy had his play sheet out and looked like he took over some of the play calling from Nagy. Lack of trust?

Shurmur didn't make Ballard's short list that's for sure. We are interviewing five and that's not counting Toub.  I think you can forget about him for the Colts.   

4 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

How do you know he’s a good manager?  Obviously, any HC brought in should bring in a good staff.  

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Shurmur didn't make Ballard's short list that's for sure. We are interviewing five and that's not counting Toub.  I think you can forget about him for the Colts.   

That is something I don't understand. Out of all the candidates he is the one I am most interested in.

2 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

Lol thanks.  I may be not-so-subtlely leaning toward a third Penn St back for the Colts.  I mean Lenny and Lydell ended up pretty darn good.  

I hear yea, I do like Chubb the DE a lot to.  Would be happy with either. I think I might have to put a picture of someone, hum, Roger Carr, Stan White, Fred Cook, Raymond Chester, endless possibilities!!:bossy: