Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

KC coaches

AlanNC

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'm getting a pretty good feeling it's gonna be Josh McDaniels if it's not him it's Nagy. 

I voted Nagy in our Poll but if we hire McDaniels I wont complain. I have dwelled on McDaniels fail in Denver and wonder how well he would do without Tom Brady in todays league. He is much older than he was in Denver so maybe he has matured. I am not sure how much influence yesterdays game will have on Ballard and Irsay regarding Nagy and Toub. You would think 1 game wouldn't have an impact on hiring a Coach but that was a bigtime by the Chiefs. I like Steve Wilks as well, wouldn't mind him being our HC after reading a lot about him.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Shurmur didn't make Ballard's short list that's for sure. We are interviewing five and that's not counting Toub.  I think you can forget about him for the Colts.   

Yeah, I can certainly see the handwriting on the wall. Just lamenting a bit that is all.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I voted Nagy in our Poll but if we hire McDaniels I wont complain. I have dwelled on McDaniels fail in Denver and wonder how well he would do with Tom Brady in todays league. He is much older than he was in Denver so maybe he has matured. I am not sure how much influence yesterdays game will have on Ballard and Irsay regarding Nagy and Toub. You would think 1 game wouldn't have an impact on hiring a Coach but that was a bigtime by the Chiefs. I like Steve Wilks as well, wouldn't mind him being our HC after reading a lot about him.

Forget the one game.  Compare what JM has done in his career versus the KC coaches.  

I have no way of knowing, but I get the impression that JM would want more control than the guys with less experience.  Let’s face it, he can probably pick his job so his ‘demands’ may not be in line with the way Ballard wants to run the team.  Just MHO.

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Forget the one game.  Compare what JM has done in his career versus the KC coaches.  

I have no way of knowing, but I get the impression that JM would want more control than the guys with less experience.  Let’s face it, he can probably pick his job so his ‘demands’ may not be in line with the way Ballard wants to run the team.  Just MHO.

I don't put much stock into one game but was just wondering if it will influence any decisions. I probably doubt it but you never know.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't put much stock into one game but was just wondering if it will influence any decisions. I probably doubt it but you never know.

Nah, one game wouldn’t matter.  Ballard has his HC qualities in mind and he knows those KC guys well.  

I was was just pointing out that neither guy has anywhere near the kind of experience as JM.  

5 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Good story by an independent writer on why Dave Toab for Colts coach. Answers several questions as to his qualifications.

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2018/01/06/dave-toub-needs-next-colts-head-coach/

The second to last paragraph is what stood out to me.  

Ive been asking from the beginning, why him?  That paragraph is a good argument.

BUT - I keep coming back to this: if he’s so valued, why has he only coached STs?  In all those years in Chicago or KC, why wasn’t he considered for O or D coordinator, or assistant HC if he has all those abilities?

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

The second to last paragraph is what stood out to me.  

Ive been asking from the beginning, why him?  That paragraph is a good argument.

BUT - I keep coming back to this: if he’s so valued, why has he only coached STs?  In all those years in Chicago or KC, why wasn’t he considered for O or D coordinator, or assistant HC if he has all those abilities?

Are you saying that a Special Teams Coordinator is not a respected position? thought this guy explained it fairly well.

8 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Good story by an independent writer on why Dave Toab for Colts coach. Answers several questions as to his qualifications.

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2018/01/06/dave-toub-needs-next-colts-head-coach/

Nice article.  According to the author he thinks he has been the choice all along and the Colts should roll out the red carpet for him.  The question is if the article is true why waste everybody's time and interview all of these candidates?  Why not just bring him in and hire him?  You could lose him to another team.  Are you trying to show your fans you are checking out all the prospects to justify your hire?  If he's your guy go after him like the Raiders did.  I don't get it.  And the fact is there is no report of a scheduled interview like the others.  Could it be he is not a candidate?  I guess that's possible or have they already received a commitment from him?  If so no need to rush and they can interview him last and announce the hire.   I guess we will know this week.  Inquiring minds want to know. 

Word in KC is that Andy Reid was calling the plays in the 2nd.

10fb9a38da95370b6b44ba73f8e9e878.jpg 

Further, Reid admitted to calling plays by saying "all the good plays were called by Nagy and all the bad plays were called by me" I don't know if he's trying to make sure Nagy gets a job or what, but at the very least it makes Reid look like a goof one way or the other if he was meddling in the calls.

3 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

Toub is really high on the Bears list too, may be one or two .  

Where did you see this? I haven't seen that they interviewed him. They've been going after mostly offensive guys and QB whisperer types for head coach. Mcdaniels, Defilippo, Nagy, have interviewed and I think they have Shurmur scheduled. I haven't seen Toub scheduled and their Steve Wilks interview got cancelled. 

6 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Pretty sure Toub isn't even scheduled to be interviewed

Ballard made it clear that he was going to be as quiet as possible and would not be giving us a blow by blow of the process. What we have been getting on the process to date is from the press and possible thru their agents. I am quite certain the Colts have not been reporting potential interviews.

Toab may be communicating directly with Ballard regarding a formal interview. We don't know for sure.

7 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Ballard made it clear that he was going to be as quiet as possible and would not be giving us a blow by blow of the process. What we have been getting on the process to date is from the press and possible thru their agents. I am quite certain the Colts have not been reporting potential interviews.

Toab may be communicating directly with Ballard regarding a formal interview. We don't know for sure.

You might be right....  but it seems like the rest have been reported 

26 minutes ago, LSD9402 said:

Where did you see this? I haven't seen that they interviewed him. They've been going after mostly offensive guys and QB whisperer types for head coach. Mcdaniels, Defilippo, Nagy, have interviewed and I think they have Shurmur scheduled. I haven't seen Toub scheduled and their Steve Wilks interview got cancelled. 

Has he interviewed with anybody ? I'm just going off suppossed insiders. Bears job comes with the stipulation Fangio stays on as DC . 

10 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

Has he interviewed with anybody ? I'm just going off suppossed insiders. Bears job comes with the stipulation Fangio stays on as DC . 

It looks like they are angling for Fangio to stay they just denied the Bengals a request to interview Vic, but I haven't seen any stipulation that he must stay.  Nagy was rumored to be bringing in his own defensive coordinator Mike Pettine and they're interviewing him, so they're open to someone else if their socks get blown off in the interview I guess. Right now it looks like they're looking for a QB and offensive guru. 

I don't think Toub is yet to interview with anyone yet, but that'll be coming soon since the Chiefs choked yesterday.

2 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Are you saying that a Special Teams Coordinator is not a respected position? thought this guy explained it fairly well.

No, I’m saying there’s a reason no one has ever gone from STC to HC without assuming another responsibility.   And I’m asking if there’s a reason he’s never been anything other than a ST coach.  

That article addresses why the author thought he should be our HC and his OPINION may be right, but my questions still stand.  

He may work out great, but so we want to be the team that takes that chance?

I have faith in CB to make the right decision, it’s his career that’s on the line too.  

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

How do you know he’s a good manager?  Obviously, any HC brought in should bring in a good staff.  

I don't know that Toub is a good manager other than what I have read. I just saying that a good head coach manages the team. He has to oversee the game plan and make sure that he coaches are doing their jobs. He cannot just spend time with one part of the team. Football is too complicated to control every aspect so you need to delegate but make sure that your instructions are being followed. An excellent read is the book on Lombardi's first year in Green Bay. It outlines what makes a good coach and what has to be done to turn around and organization. 

2 hours ago, mahagga73 said:

Toub is really high on the Bears list too, may be one or two .  

Toub's agent is earning his money spreading rumors everywhere. Toub  is a 55 year old guy who has never coordinated nor been a HC and now two teams are bidding on him for HC. Right. You couldn't even find two teams to fight over his patron, Andy Reid.

4 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Toub's agent is earning his money spreading rumors everywhere. Toub  is a 55 year old guy who has never coordinated nor been a HC and now two teams are bidding on him for HC. Right. You couldn't even find two teams to fight over Andy Reid.

Way to exaggerate. Toab has been a Special Team Coordinator and one of the best for years.

7 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Way to exaggerate. Toab has been a Special Team Coordinator and one of the best for years.

So what. Do you seriously think this guy is a hot HC prospect that the Colts will have to fight to get. At his age and with his resume, he'd probably pay the Colts to be their HC. He'd probably be fine as strength/conditioning  or special teams coach, jobs he's done his entire career.

Just now, azcolt said:

So what. Do you seriously think this guy is a hot HC prospect that the Colts will have to fight to get. At his age and with his resume, he'd probably pay the Colts to be their HC.

You stated emphatically that he never coordinated which is wrong.

4 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

You stated emphatically that he never coordinated which is wrong.

Oh for crying out loud. Yes he coordinated special teams. He also has coordinated strength and conditioning. And he does have a good agent. PS Love the red type. Valentine's Day wishes presumably.

2 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Oh for crying out loud. Yes he coordinated special teams. He also has coordinated strength and conditioning. And he does have a good agent. PS Love the red type. Valentine's Day wishes presumably.

Then why did you state that he didn't? just to try to make your argument better?

19 hours ago, LSD9402 said:

It looks like they are angling for Fangio to stay they just denied the Bengals a request to interview Vic, but I haven't seen any stipulation that he must stay.  Nagy was rumored to be bringing in his own defensive coordinator Mike Pettine and they're interviewing him, so they're open to someone else if their socks get blown off in the interview I guess. Right now it looks like they're looking for a QB and offensive guru. 

I don't think Toub is yet to interview with anyone yet, but that'll be coming soon since the Chiefs choked yesterday.

One KC choker candidate of the market . Hopefully we don't pick the other one. 

49 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Thank God! He will be fired in 2 years....

Bears fans acting like they just hired Lombardi the 2nd.  I don't want no part of that karma in our head coaching position . Living somewhat close to Chicago I get all the Bears news I don't care about . 

57 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

One KC choker candidate of the market . Hopefully we don't pick the other one. 

Andy Reid? I doubt he's fired. And a one game sample doesn't make him a choker, although it is concerning, especially if he was the one calling the plays, not Reid.

What offense plays has he called how many people on offense has he develop? Was he an online coach did he coach wr rub anybody on offense? How about defense, did he call any defensive plays? Who has the coach on defense anybody? The only plays he has called is either kick it left right in the center deep short and squib. On return, side return left or right or up the middle. that all Toub has called. Now When we hire McDaniels and we offer Toub a different job then yeah

29 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

What offense plays has he called how many people on offense has he develop? Was he an online coach did he coach wr rub anybody on offense? How about defense, did he call any defensive plays? Who has the coach on defense anybody? The only plays he has called is either kick it left right in the center deep short and squib. On return, side return left or right or up the middle. that all Toub has called. Now When we hire McDaniels and we offer Toub a different job then yeah

Thank you.  So your saying he's never been in charge of either defense or offense.  No thanks .