Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Well, Gore wants to come back.

NannyMcafee

21 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.indystar.com/amp/984930001

i would sign the guy. He has proven to be able to stay healthy unlike some much younger players. 

Gore has played Good this season and he actually loves it here, he's treated Great by the fans. Hardly nobody bad mouths him. I also think he thinks Luck will be healthy next season and he knows Ballard is the real deal, otherwise he wouldn't want to be back. He's been around along time so he's not dumb. I keep saying myself with a healthy Luck, new Coach, and a Great Draft we can win the Division next season. A lot of teams that have bad seasons turn it around instantly, look at the Rams for example. Hell Falcons made the SB after being a .500 team and should've won it. With a QB like Luck and more help coming, anything is possible. Gore knows Luck can be Great so we will see.

You have to admire Frank Gore. The dude has the heart of gold and the huge love for football. I think we should re-sign him. He's still a hard nose RB that has finally allowed us to reach over 1000 yards rushing. Still keep Mack and Turbin in the line up and I think we still do okay. 

3 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

If he really is open to coming back, I‘d sign him for the right price.   He still runs extremely hard and his hard working veteran presence could be very important.  Gore is a HOF baller!

Actually if he comes back, especially for cheap we can then go ahead and Draft Chubb 3rd, take maybe a guy like Billy Price OG in Round 2, then Draft another O.Lineman in Round 3, and in Round 4 I still like the CB Wallace from Bama. Mack will be better next season and Gore still looks strong.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Actually if he comes back, especially for cheap we can then go ahead and Draft Chubb 3rd, take maybe a guy like Billy Price OG in Round 2, then Draft another O.Lineman in Round 3, and in Round 4 I still like the CB Wallace from Bama. Mack will be better next season and Gore still looks strong.

I’d still rather have Nelson than Chubb.  Even getting Nelson in the 1st, I like the idea of going OL in the 2nd too.  Gotta finally get the OL solidified, for the sake of Luck, for the sake of Gore and Mack.  Just my preference, build the trenches.   The O trench is currently in much worse shape than the D trench.  Go OL!

2 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I’d still rather have Nelson than Chubb.  Even getting Nelson in the 1st, I like the idea of going OL in the 2nd too.  Gotta finally get the OL solidified, for the sake of Luck, for the sake of Gore and Mack.  Just my preference, build the trenches.   The O trench is currently in much worse shape than the D trench.  Go OL!

Nelson 3rd overall, then maybe an OT in the 2nd Round? Then maybe a guy like Malik Jefferson would be available in Round 3 - he is a super fast OLB that can rush the QB. I am good with a lot of different scenario's at this point.

13 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Comes down to what happened in free agency.  Hopefully, we get at least one proven O lineman.  I haven't studied Chubb, but we need an edge rusher.  They're usually not available in free agency if they're good.

If we trade the pick, we'll probably have three in the first two rounds.  Biggest needs, IMO - edge rusher, ILB, and proven O linemen. 

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Colts have not had terribly good luck with Buckeye players over the years. I'm getting a  bit concerned about taking them.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we draft a RB that we think will get some snaps, AND Frank Gore, we will be faced with who to cut, Turbin was showing significant improvement prior to the injury......we will probably only carry 3 RB's....Gore, Turbin, Mack, draft pick......whom would you cut? I can see doing an either or situation, either Gore or a draft pick....but not both

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

He won’t be back though. Ballard is all about getting younger. Especially now with a high pick in every round of a deep draft for RBs, there’s no way he brings Gore back.

I think you're right but if there are exceptions to that , it'd be Adam V and Frank gore

3 minutes ago, crunked said:

If we draft a RB that we think will get some snaps, AND Frank Gore, we will be faced with who to cut, Turbin was showing significant improvement prior to the injury......we will probably only carry 3 RB's....Gore, Turbin, Mack, draft pick......whom would you cut? I can see doing an either or situation, either Gore or a draft pick....but not both

When I said Chubb I meant Brad Chubb 3rd overall if Gore stays. Not Nick Chubb in the 3rd Round. Too many Chubb's lmao , I still like Barkley a lot actually but it's great we have tons of options. We will be a lot better next season assuming Luck does come back 100%. This is going to be the most exciting offseason I can ever remember since being a Colts fan in 1984. From Luck updates, to who we Draft, to who we get as Coach.

I think Gore has been incredibly selfless in Indianapolis, and is a no-brainer HOF'r.  I think it's time to let him go, however.  The issue with keeping him is you then need to play him, and get him carries.  And I don't think he's the RB he was, there is no going back to that player.  If the Colts re-sign him, they will likely use him the same way as he's been used the last three years.  So why would the results be any different?  Improved line play?  We've all been screaming for that for years now.  And lets say the line does get "fixed", who's to say Gore isn't done at this stage, or will be next year?  The history for 35 year old RBs is not exactly rich.  Fully understanding Luck's absence during Gore's tenure, the Colts are 19-28 with a game yet to play with him on the roster.  We can blame all manner of things for that, but that's the record.  I just think it's time to move on. 

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Hankins, Hooker, and Simon beg to differ.

I was talking the draft. 

1982 Art Schlichter      bust

More recent drafted Buckeyes!

2003 Mike Doss    average at best for a couple years

2004 Ben Hartsock. bust

2007 Anthony Gonzalez. bust

2007 Quinn Pitcock. bust 

2014  Jack Mehort  bad knees may retire

2017 Malik Hooker. already injured too early to tell

7 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I was talking the draft. 

2004 Ben Hartsock. bust

2007 Quinn Pitcock. bust 

I think Hooker will be good but on the others I agree 100%

11 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I was talking the draft. 

2004 Ben Hartsock. bust

2007 Quinn Pitcock. bust 

And I’m sure you know that how one guy did in the past has no effect on how someone else would do from that same school.

if any of that were true, we should draft exclusively from Tennessee.   

42 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

And I’m sure you know that how one guy did in the past has no effect on how someone else would do from that same school.

if any of that were true, we should draft exclusively from Tennessee.   

I understand what you're saying, it's just the Colts haven't had much good success when drafting Buckeyes.

I was all for letting Frank Gore go at the beginning of the season. I apologize for that. We owe Frank one more year in my opinion. He wanted to win here in Indy. I understand that this is a business. Have to go with what’s best for the team moving forward. 

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

He won’t be back though. Ballard is all about getting younger. Especially now with a high pick in every round of a deep draft for RBs, there’s no way he brings Gore back.

I might have said that a few months ago.  Not so sure now.

About getting younger - Ballard is also all about having the right locker room... guys who set the right example.  He talks about it constantly.  

With an improved O-line, Gore can still play, I think.  

33 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I hope he gets 139 yards, to give him another 1,000 yard season.  Would be a nice takeaway parting gift for this dismal season.

I love the optimism and would love him to get it as well, but I don't think it's gonna snow at LOS this week :lol:..

Doesn't really surprise me that he wants to stay. What Super Bowl contenders would give him %90 of the carries. All of the contenders have great RBs. 

Pittsburg-Bell

NE-a committee

Minnesota- cook,mckinnon

Eagles- Blunt, ajayi

Rams- Gurley

Saints-Kamara

Jags- Fournette

Panthers- Mccaffrey 

I could keep going

The only team I could see using him is the ravens.

10 minutes ago, Reidm said:

Doesn't really surprise me that he wants to stay. What Super Bowl contenders would give him %90 of the carries. All of the contenders have great RBs. 

Pittsburg-Bell

NE-a committee

Minnesota- cook,mckinnon

Eagles- Blunt, ajayi

Rams- Gurley

Saints-Kamara

Jags- Fournette

Panthers- Mccaffrey 

I could keep going

The only team I could see using him is the ravens.

Who said he wanted 90% of the carries with any team? At his age I highly doubt he would get 90% of the carries with the Colts. IMO if the Colts do resign him he would be a situational RB.

1 hour ago, Blueblood23 said:

I understand what you're saying, it's just the Colts haven't had much good success when drafting Buckeyes.

I can't argue that, but it has no bearing on future draft picks.  I think we would have been happy with Zeke, Bosa or Thomas the last couple years.  It would be an interesting study, players from different schools and their % success rates by round drafted.

As you can probably guess, I'm a Buckeye.  But I'm not a huge Price fan.  I wouldn't draft him until day three.  Not a huge Ward fan either, but I think we're okay at DB.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Who said he wanted 90% of the carries with any team? At his age I highly doubt he would get 90% of the carries with the Colts. IMO if the Colts do resign him he would be a situational RB.

Well I was exaggerating when i said %90 but still He is trying to set records. If he wants to pass Barry sanders for # 3 on the all time rushing leader then he is gonna need all the carries he can get.

2 hours ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

I think Gore has been incredibly selfless in Indianapolis, and is a no-brainer HOF'r.  I think it's time to let him go, however.  The issue with keeping him is you then need to play him, and get him carries.  And I don't think he's the RB he was, there is no going back to that player.  If the Colts re-sign him, they will likely use him the same way as he's been used the last three years.  So why would the results be any different?  Improved line play?  We've all been screaming for that for years now.  And lets say the line does get "fixed", who's to say Gore isn't done at this stage, or will be next year?  The history for 35 year old RBs is not exactly rich.  Fully understanding Luck's absence during Gore's tenure, the Colts are 19-28 with a game yet to play with him on the roster.  We can blame all manner of things for that, but that's the record.  I just think it's time to move on. 

For a RB you think is not the RB he was didn't show this season. I think he did a great job considering the lack of a consistent O-line this season. His veteran leadership is needed when the team is getting younger. We still have Turbin and Michael coming off IR this off season so we do have some depth.

19 minutes ago, Reidm said:

Well I was exaggerating when i said %90 but still He is trying to set records. If he wants to pass Barry sanders for # 3 on the all time rushing leader then he is gonna need all the carries he can get.

In reality Gore will not catch Sanders this up coming season no matter who he plays for. I am not sure he even cares.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

For a RB you think is not the RB he was didn't show this season. I think he did a great job considering the lack of a consistent O-line this season. His veteran leadership is needed when the team is getting younger. We still have Turbin and Michael coming off IR this off season so we do have some depth.

What do you do with him next year?  Since we have no idea who will coach, what kind of offense will be run...  Gore is what he is, meaning you sign him and you're giving him 10-15 carries a game and maybe a throw or two as well.  So one quarter of your offensive plays?  One fifth?  In the hands of a 35 year old?  If I'm under-valuing him, you're surely over-valuing him.  We learn nothing new about Mack that way - there are only so many carries, only so many plays a game.  Every measurable stat for Gore is lower as a Colt - we can blame everything other than Gore, but he's part of the equation too.  I love his heart.  I loved his career.  I don't think he stays in Indy to watch and be the veteran cheerleader, and I don't think he'd be happy with a couple of token carries to start a game either.  He wants to play.  That's what the interviews make clear. 

8 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

What do you do with him next year?  Since we have no idea who will coach, what kind of offense will be run...  Gore is what he is, meaning you sign him and you're giving him 10-15 carries a game and maybe a throw or two as well.  So one quarter of your offensive plays?  One fifth?  In the hands of a 35 year old?  If I'm under-valuing him, you're surely over-valuing him.  We learn nothing new about Mack that way - there are only so many carries, only so many plays a game.  Every measurable stat for Gore is lower as a Colt - we can blame everything other than Gore, but he's part of the equation too.  I love his heart.  I loved his career.  I don't think he stays in Indy to watch and be the veteran cheerleader, and I don't think he'd be happy with a couple of token carries to start a game either.  He wants to play.  That's what the interviews make clear. 

What do you do with him next year?  That's easy. You run him in a RB committee with the depth we will have. No where did he say he wanted to have x amount of carries. At his age it would work for any team.  Not too many teams just use one RB anymore and a committee keeps all the RBs fresh.

Example: The Saints, Patriots and the Vikings. Note: all these teams are in the playoffs