Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A realistic assessment of Jacoby Brissett

George Peterson

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, George Peterson said:

By every objective standard, Jacoby Brissett is somewhere in the middle 10 of NFL starters.

I'm not sure the best quarterback that ever existed could have gotten wins with this skeleton of a roster.

My question is... how does JB do if Pats traded him to SF, and JG to us?

I think for a backup he is Great. He can be an Average starter and win more games than he did this season with more experience. IMO he is just a Great backup though that can maybe start for a handful of Bad teams that have bad QB play. Nothing wrong with that at all and it's not a diss. When Luck comes back I would feel comfortable with him filling in for a game or 2 if Luck gets injured again. He isn't the type of QB though that will take us anywhere big. We were in many games this season where we could've won but he didn't have the 'IT' factor late in games to win many of those.

I've seen a lot of QBs in over 58 years of Colts football many of them high draft pick busts. A number of people have commented on how close 10 games lost were competitive until late in the game and how they were blown by Bissett and/or a poorly conditioned defense.

I can' argue against most of their points considering he was the QB our only QB since week 2 and our defensive backfield was a revolving door of players.. Bissett does hold the ball longer than he should at times, often because of the lack of protection and lack of receivers other than Hilton and Doyle But it would have taken a QB like Luck to get more production, out of that weekly merry go round.

After all Bissett was brought in as a backup not our starting QB. The Colts also need to look at who is calling the plays. Three of those 10 games were practically given away by bad play calling setting up Bissett to fail more than succeed, when you're losing games by field goals with less than 20 seconds left on the clock in regulation and OT, and you are seeing a different backfield every week on a D that for the most part don't even know each other you've got more than a QB problem. When you're still shipping proven players off the team and bringing in players from somewhere else half way through the season you're not exactly making it easy on the couches either. Keeping Bissett as a backup QB is one of the smallest issues we have to deal with. As a backup he's the best the Colts have played since Hasselback. If wholesale player movement starts again after this season we need to see where so many changes are coming from before we face the consequences of another season as erratic as this one.

10 hours ago, IinD said:

I'd like this a dozen times if possible.

In a sorry season like this you've got to try and get some sort of positive thing to be talk about. 

He's been dealt a terrible situation and survived an entire season and didn't miss any time. Tough kid.

We see backups cone in every year and can never (none I can remember honestly) last an entire season and try to keep a team afloat while totally learning on the job, a bad job at that (being a Colts QB).

He's had some glimpses to take from the season.

Jacoby is the backup. He was brought here to be the backup.  In 2018, he will be the backup. That is the most realistic assessment of him. He wont start any games in 2018.

22 hours ago, George Peterson said:

I disagree strongly about the defense.  They had flashes that made me feel like the talent was there.  I think conditioning and preparedness factor heavily into what happened in the 4th quarter.

The 4th quarter collapses happened frequently enough for me to belueve that something structural was wrong.  The D were actually not on the field an absurd amount of time.  They should have been up to the task of maintaining their level of play for 60 minutes even if they had to play 40 of those minutes.  Games like that happen, you *HAVE* to have your players ready for them when they do.  That's why I call this a failure of strength and conditioning.

A lot of it is the offense inability to do anything , control the clock in the second half.  IMO, they have a pretty good array of young talent on D , and with the offense improving will be pretty decent next season . 

21 hours ago, Superman said:

Brissett is awesome. Think about his circumstances. Only in his second year, he gets traded from one of the best run organizations to a program that has had its challenges recently. In Week 1. The differences in scheme and verbiage from the Patriots offense to the Colts are dramatic, to say the least. Yet, Brissett plays in Week 1, and starts in Week 2, playing reasonably well. He leads the Colts to a win in Week 3. He barely knew anyone's name.

His OL is one of the worst in the league. He's taken snaps from five different centers, and three of the other four positions have basically been manned by committee throughout the season. He got sacked 10 times in a single game this year. When he was asked whether he was hurt in that game, he said 'I'm the QB, I don't come out of the game.' 

The defense has given up more big plays than almost any team in the NFL, and has some of the worst numbers across the board. The coaching staff has literally cost the offense points. His receivers have dropped passes, fumbled possessions, been manhandled, etc. 

Through all of this, Brissett has never said anything that could even be misconstrued as a negative comment toward any of his teammates, his coaches, or the organization. He's even been a strong interview, solid with the media (who, at times, doesn't deserve it, IMO). He hasn't missed a single snap; I don't think he's missed a practice. 

TL;DR -- I admire Jacoby Brissett. 

As for his play, I have several criticisms of his ability, decision making, poise, etc. And I'll detail those at some point after the season is over. Some people suggest the Colts could trade Brissett for a solid draft pick; I strongly disagree, at least based on where he is now. But despite my problems with his play -- and there are several -- I feel as good about the Colts backup QB position as I ever have. 

This, all of this dammit

I find it hard to believe that posters are giving Brissett a hard time for struggling with bad coaching, dropped passes, terrible OL, and a bottom ranked defense. I definitely think he's showed that he can be a good backup, I would hold off on my thoughts about him being our starting QB if Luck goes down, until that actually happens.

After 16 NFL starts, it's clear to me he's easily in the top 40 QB's. Playing behind this O-line, for this OC, on this team, with no camp, will not be lost on QB gurus around the league. His size, arm strength and durability make him a viable candidate for another 16 games at the helm. 

23 hours ago, Superman said:

Brissett is awesome. Think about his circumstances. Only in his second year, he gets traded from one of the best run organizations to a program that has had its challenges recently. In Week 1. The differences in scheme and verbiage from the Patriots offense to the Colts are dramatic, to say the least. Yet, Brissett plays in Week 1, and starts in Week 2, playing reasonably well. He leads the Colts to a win in Week 3. He barely knew anyone's name.

His OL is one of the worst in the league. He's taken snaps from five different centers, and three of the other four positions have basically been manned by committee throughout the season. He got sacked 10 times in a single game this year. When he was asked whether he was hurt in that game, he said 'I'm the QB, I don't come out of the game.' 

The defense has given up more big plays than almost any team in the NFL, and has some of the worst numbers across the board. The coaching staff has literally cost the offense points. His receivers have dropped passes, fumbled possessions, been manhandled, etc. 

Through all of this, Brissett has never said anything that could even be misconstrued as a negative comment toward any of his teammates, his coaches, or the organization. He's even been a strong interview, solid with the media (who, at times, doesn't deserve it, IMO). He hasn't missed a single snap; I don't think he's missed a practice. 

As for his play, I have several criticisms of his ability, decision making, poise, etc. And I'll detail those at some point after the season is over. Some people suggest the Colts could trade Brissett for a solid draft pick; I strongly disagree, at least based on where he is now. But despite my problems with his play -- and there are several -- I feel as good about the Colts backup QB position as I ever have. 

Well, some Colt fans might not see his value, but you can bet many GM's seeking a better QB certainly are studying film on him. He is the epitome of a professional. 

3 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Well, some Colt fans might not see his value, but you can bet many GM's seeking a better QB certainly are studying film on him. He is the epitome of a professional. 

I'm not saying he has no value. I'm saying we can't get a 2nd or 3rd round pick, like some people think. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I'm not saying he has no value. I'm saying we can't get a 2nd or 3rd round pick, like some people think. 

I see him as a Great backup, possibly with more experience could be an Average NFL starter. If I am Indy I keep Brissett in case Luck gets injured again. For a fill in for a game or 2 I trust him. If we trade him I think we could get a 3rd possibly but that is pushing it? Definitely a 4th, JMO. No way a 2nd.

14 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Jacoby is the backup. He was brought here to be the backup.  In 2018, he will be the backup. That is the most realistic assessment of him. He wont start any games in 2018.

From your lips to the ears of the Football Gods!!      Let is be so!!

He's a good backup. He's been forced into service and while he hasn't lit the world on fire, he hasn't been exactly burned it down either. 

My biggest complaint about him is composure. He seems to be easily rattled. A little skittish, if you will. He gets a little too eager to pull it down and run with it when the defenders start to move. 

He's not bad though. I think if he had some more help from the line, his receivers, and a coaching staff with a clue he'd look better than he has. 

12 hours ago, Douzer said:

After 16 NFL starts, it's clear to me he's easily in the top 40 QB's. Playing behind this O-line, for this OC, on this team, with no camp, will not be lost on QB gurus around the league. His size, arm strength and durability make him a viable candidate for another 16 games at the helm. 

This is true. Do I expect some team to come and make us an outstanding offer based on their perceived potential he offers? 

No. 

But would I be surprised to see a team come along and make an outstanding offer?

No. 

On 12/24/2017 at 9:37 PM, Superman said:

I agree with almost all of what you say. Except we were in better shape with Hasselbeck as a backup. This is not a knock on Jacoby but just plain honesty.

On 12/25/2017 at 11:30 AM, mahagga73 said:

Not much better. Garrapolo is a much better prospect than Jacoby.  That trade with the Niners was curious to say the least.  

not THAT curious.  Garoppolo's contract was up in a matter of weeks.  The Patriots didn't trade Jimmy G in the offseason because they had a 40 year old quarterback and wanted to keep their primary backup until they were sure he was gonna hold up.  They traded some if Jimmy G's return for the assurance that they probably wouldn't need him themselves and secured a decent backup they were familiar with (Hoyer) to take his place.

It was get the second round now from a team with a young roster and a lot of cap space who was confident that they could re-sign him, or get nothing when he walked at the end of the year.  The Patriots chose to get something.

The thing to nitpick isn't the trade, it's not trading Jimmy G before the season when he could have been a season changer for someone.  Back in that offseason they were talking multiple firsts because there were teams that thought he could make their season, but I guess the team was still trying to keep him and they needed to hedge their bets on Brady.

I would not be very surprised if the Patriots get rather aggressive looking for a quarterback in the draft this year.  Brady is one of the all time greats but he won't last forever, they know that, that's why they had Garoppolo in the first place.

16 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I was impressed by him last year too.  He came in completely wet behind the ears during Brady's suspension after Garoppolo got hurt, one camp and a week of practice, finished the Dolphins game strong, led his team to a win against a good team (Texans went 9-7 that year and won their division).  He looked very raw, and the win for the game should likely go to LeGarritte Blount instead of Brissett but it still takes something for a guy to step up in there and take snaps against a good squad when you barely know anyone's name. Had a very pretty rushing TD too.

He also went out there with a broken thumb on his throwing hand in the Bills game in week 4, because there was no one else healthier than him to play, and played the full game with no complaints given and no excuses made..

Jacoby Brissett is not the most talented guy, but his intangibles are absolutely rock solid and his professionalism and attitude are first rate.  Bill Parcells was raving about him and practically begged Bill Belichick to draft the guy and work with him.  If you can find a way to carry him on your football team, I'd absolutely expect his professionalism and winning attitude to serve as an example to the people around him.

I don't think Brissett will ever win the Superbowl, but he'd be a great guy to have around while you're putting the pieces together and looking for that franchise quarterback and with a good roster around him he should be able to put some winning seasons together and sniff the playoffs at some point.

3 hours ago, Buddy Lee said:

I agree with almost all of what you say. Except we were in better shape with Hasselbeck as a backup. This is not a knock on Jacoby but just plain honesty.

MH couldn't throw downfield, didn't have any escapability and really didn't have the ability to make plays like JB can. No question MH had a better handle on the offense and was quicker to get rid of the ball, but when he actually played, he had drastic physical limitations. I feel like JB will get better, MH quickly got worse.

But I do agree, MH was a very good backup for us.

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I see him as a Great backup, possibly with more experience could be an Average NFL starter. If I am Indy I keep Brissett in case Luck gets injured again. For a fill in for a game or 2 I trust him. If we trade him I think we could get a 3rd possibly but that is pushing it? Definitely a 4th, JMO. No way a 2nd.

I doubt we'd get a third, maybe a fourth from the right team, but not before the draft. JMO

13 hours ago, Superman said:

You are correct. I was not speaking to your comments...more of a general statement. Your description of what he has faced was well done. I think it may help some fans see it a bit different. 

On 12/25/2017 at 12:00 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

My question is... how does JB do if Pats traded him to SF, and JG to us?

No comparison.  JG is a top flight QB with all the skills.    JB is more Kaepernick...strong arm, great athlete, below avg. QB skills.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

And at that point he's probably more valuable to us as a cheap competent backup than as a 4th rounder in the future. 

I don't think we could get a 4th round pick for him.   We should keep him as the backup.  

3 hours ago, Superman said:

MH couldn't throw downfield, didn't have any escapability and really didn't have the ability to make plays like JB can. No question MH had a better handle on the offense and was quicker to get rid of the ball, but when he actually played, he had drastic physical limitations. I feel like JB will get better, MH quickly got worse.

But I do agree, MH was a very good backup for us.

Thank you. It is very difficult to discern if Hasselbeck could haveg gotten us more wins this season but I think he likely could have.gone on IR.

On 12/24/2017 at 8:07 PM, oldunclemark said:

It doesn't matter how good Jacoby is because Andrew Luck is our starting QB. 

That's realistic..

Jacoby Brissett will never be the starting QB of the Indianapolis Colts

He really said that folks.  This year no less.  He said that this year.  He said that in a year when Andrew Luck had 0 starts and Brissett has had 14.

Until we have a better idea what we're getting out of Luck going forward, Jacoby Brissett is the starting quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts.  I don't think you can count on Luck until he's already back and producing. 

after all we've thought he was coming back for months and months and he still isn't back.  When an injury leave keeps getting extended like this the news never winds up being great.  Even if it doesn't turn out that way we need to be braced for the idea of never seeing Andrew Luck on a football field again.  Greater careers have been ended over less than an injury that just won't heal right.

3 hours ago, Buddy Lee said:

is it fair to say if you wannt to lose by a small amount this is your guy? i don't really think that but he has to prove me wrong.

if your team's best feature is its average starterback, and literally every other facet of the team is below average, losing by a small amount isn't much to be ashamed of.

The Colts are on the bottom third of the league in nearly every category, and Brissett had been in the middle third of quarterbacks. Brissett's documented mediocricy actually represents one of the better faces of the team right now.  He is literally the least of our problems.

The injury to Luck has been a godsend if it means it wakes some fans up about the actual state of the roster.  We no longer have a magic fix-anything quarterback to hide our probolems and we now have to take the unheard-of, revolutionary step of actually fixing them.  Starting probably with the offensive line and the pass rush, both of which are incredibly dismal right now.

On 12/24/2017 at 12:16 PM, #12. said:

Basically, Brissett plays like Russel Wilson, but without the escapabilty and athleticism.  Wilson holds the ball, then escapes and something magical happens.  Brissett holds the ball forever, hoping something magical will happen, instead a 7 yard sack for a loss happens.

Good points. Brissett moves like a checker piece only in X and Y directions where Wilson moves like a rock launch gone haywire. I wonder why the Pats got rid of both back up QBs.

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

How does  one become a great backup?

36 minutes ago, King Colt said:

How does  one become a great backup?

A Great backup is defined as someone who can fill in and play Great for a game or 2 but has never proven to be more than an Average starter over a long period of games. I see that in Brissett so far. Frank Reich was like that in Buffalo for example. When he came in for Jim Kelly, you knew he could get the job done for a few games but would never be THE MAN. JMO on this.

Good assessments but the conditioning of the defense shouldn’t be inserted..just like last year the offense couldn’t sustain anything thus leaving  an already struggling defense (who actually kept us in the game during first half/3rd quarter situations ) on the field. Almost every second half our offense couldn’t manage more than 3 points you can’t blame the conditioning of the defense when they’re playing the entire football game for the offense and themselves :/

Well once again, he is basically a rookie with a weak coach and a injury riddled and below average offensive line. That said being so green his progression looks are not good and he tends to focus on a receiver. The play calling from the sidelines is mind numbing considering these factors. Quick developing plays are what makes the great QB's great and we do not have that here.  only a few days until Black  Monday but i get a feeling Irsay may wait a few days