Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A realistic assessment of Jacoby Brissett

George Peterson

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me a break on " completely incompetent coaching staff " on every comment. We all know you do not like Pagano. But the guy has been in the NFL for a long time and well liked by the players. He didn't do so well at the head coaching position,

I get it, but "incompetent" is totally unacceptable.

It's getting old people!! Some of you need to learn reality.

20 hours ago, George Peterson said:

if your team's best feature is its average starterback, and literally every other facet of the team is below average, losing by a small amount isn't much to be ashamed of.

The Colts are on the bottom third of the league in nearly every category, and Brissett had been in the middle third of quarterbacks. Brissett's documented mediocricy actually represents one of the better faces of the team right now.  He is literally the least of our problems.

The injury to Luck has been a godsend if it means it wakes some fans up about the actual state of the roster.  We no longer have a magic fix-anything quarterback to hide our probolems and we now have to take the unheard-of, revolutionary step of actually fixing them.  Starting probably with the offensive line and the pass rush, both of which are incredibly dismal right now.

I actually like Jacoby but he has a propensity to never bring us Colts back.He seems to hold his head down. I like the guy but as far as inspiring his team... I just don't see it.

54 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

I actually like Jacoby but he has a propensity to never bring us Colts back.He seems to hold his head down. I like the guy but as far as inspiring his team... I just don't see it.

I don't honestly know what you're expecting?  Because he can't spin straw into gold he sucks?  He doesn't have the weapons, and no, he's not the kind of gunslinger who can win without them.  Frankly if he was, we wouldn't have been able to get him for Phillip Dorsett.

I think it's really *ic to meaure a quarterback solely based on the win column.  Quarterbacks can lose through no fault of their own, and the worse the roster around them is the more likely that is to happen.

The roster is a factor that you can't deny when assessing a quarterback, to fail to consider what he has to work with is simply asinine.  You can't give a chef a pile of crap and expect a chocolate cake.  Even the best need materials to work with, 

You won't hear Brissett offering excuses, but the fact of the matter is that he was set up to fail for the most part.  Team was in tank mode, and I honestly think half the time the coaching staff was holding back at the end of games.  The fact that he nearly pulled off upsets in some of those games despite being set up to fail is moderately impressive.  I'm sorry he's not good enough to literally carry 10 other people, and a coach who may have had orders to lose, on his back on every single play, but if that's not good enough for you, hey, you know where the door is.

4 minutes ago, George Peterson said:

I don't honestly know what you're expecting?  Because he can't spin straw into gold he sucks?  He doesn't have the weapons, and no, he's not the kind of gunslinger who can win without them.  Frankly if he was, we wouldn't have been able to get him for Phillip Dorsett.

You can't give a chef a pile of crap and expect a chocolate cake.  Even the best need materials to work with,  I doubt Luck would have won more games than he lost with this roster, so why are we asking that of a second year player with limited upside?  Or do are you the kind of guy who thinks a guy has to be Peyton to be decent?  Because if that's so, you really need to check yourself.

I think you read too much into what Buddy was saying.    He just said that he doesn't feel like Brissett inpires the team.  I would agree.  

What I have seen in a season Brissett is that he is a good backup QB or a below average starter.  

i think the Colts need to keep him as the backup for next season.  

Just now, Myles said:

I think you read too much into what Buddy was saying.    He just said that he doesn't feel like Brissett inpires the team.  I would agree.  

What I have seen in a season Brissett is that he is a good backup QB or a below average starter.  

i think the Colts need to keep him as the backup for next season.  

I think Brissett has done a lot of good on this roster.  As far as i'm concerned the team played a little over their heads at several points this year.  It wasn't enough to crack the win column more often than they did, but when a guy takes a nothing roster and puts up average numbers and it takes 4th quarter collapses to take him out in several games, I think it's possible to say that he had a positive intangible effect on that roster.

He is okay for a starter and good for a backup. He seems to me to be a little too unwilling to take risks. He always wants to wait for somebody to be wide open and will wait for his opportunity to throw. The problem is we don't have the o line to give him that kind of time and even if we did you can rarely have 100% certainty that you won't throw an interception. Imagine if Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck always made sure that they had 100% certainty that they wouldn't throw and interception or never threw into light coverage? Sure they would have thrown less interceptions but they also would have town for less touchdown and overall yards and wouldn't have been as good of players. I still feel like Andrew Luck is the best thing going for the Colts. Give him the o line he deserves and draft Quenton Nelson in the first round,  A lot of knowledgeable people are saying he is the best guard to enter the draft in a generation, and i'm not just saying that because i'm from South Bend. Get Luck the o line he deserves or trade him away, as much of a tragedy as it would be for the colts to lose him, it would still be a greater tragedy for him not to be able to play at all because  of a poor o line. Stop Wasting Luck!    

I think Jacoby did pretty much all you could have asked him to do in this situation. He wasn't fantastic, but he was the best option considering the alternatives. I think he would be a fantastic backup going forward in the rebuild. My main gripe isn't with him - but with our offensive coaching staff and how our offense is built. One thing I'd like to see more of is a reliance on the running game, and short to intermediate passes with an emphasis on the ball coming out quickly. I think we should be more focused on picking up first downs, rather than chunk plays. Holding on to the ball for too long isn't all on Brissett, but the coaching staff too.

I have to disagree with a whole lot of people, particularly those who want to assess blame anywhere & everywhere.  It’s not Chud’s fault every time Jacoby doesn’t look like he understands a play, holds the ball too long, doesn’t even get through 2 progressions before he breaks containment, leaving the offensive line having no idea what to do.  So Jacoby runs & slides feet first 2 yards short of the line of scrimmage, which counts as a sack.  That is also not the offensive lines fault.  In the Jax game he did that several times.  

Fans all all year long have blamed every loss on coaching, not interceptions, fumbles & penalties.  Mistakes are always blamed on coaching, but not the player making them.  Jacoby is a 3-13 or 4-12 QB.  Not average.  Durable yes; but smart decision maker, far from it.  Also saying our entire roster is garbage is well, garbage.  I think a healthy Luck with this team & this schedule would’ve won not 6-7, but 11-12 games.  You heard me.  A good QB brings up the rest of the team, Luck has already done that.  He is also to blame for his own injuries to a large extent.

i am probably the only fan who puts any responsibility on Ballard.  I’m not sold on his acquisition of players so far.  As for Strength & Conditioning, first of all, you can’t blame injuries on poor coaching.  Secondly a lot of teams deal with injuries. Fans are not pros, not smart, just opinionated.  

On 12/25/2017 at 5:30 PM, Douzer said:

After 16 NFL starts, it's clear to me he's easily in the top 40 QB's. Playing behind this O-line, for this OC, on this team, with no camp, will not be lost on QB gurus around the league. His size, arm strength and durability make him a viable candidate for another 16 games at the helm. 

The story of not being in camp sounds impressive until you see Jimmy G in San Francisco (a team the Colts beat) pop in after the trade deadline and go 4-0, 3-11 without training camp doesn't seem to be so sensational.

• Considering the condition of the O-line, offensive play calling, and Brissett's lack of starting experience when he got here, I think he's done fine and will improve.  IMO, he hangs onto the ball too long but that is part him and part play calling.  He's no Andrew Luck but he is adequate. 

Brissett has enough evidence out there to show that he has limitations. He does not read his progressions well. He does not get rid of the ball fast enough. He is not very good at modifying the play call at the line of scrimmage once he reads the D. And he doesn't pick up the blitz well at all. He's a backup QB, not a starter.

But I like him as Luck's backup. If Andrew comes back next year, Brissett can learn from him; he will have a full off season to learn the Colts new offense; and the play calling will hopefully be dramatically better under a new OC. So I am more than willing to give him a normal year to learn and grow. 

If Luck cannot come back, the Colts are in big trouble. We all know that.  Under that scenario, the future starter is not yet on this team.  

38 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Brissett has enough evidence out there to show that he has limitations. He does not read his progressions well. He does not get rid of the ball fast enough. He is not very good at modifying the play call at the line of scrimmage once he reads the D. And he doesn't pick up the blitz well at all. He's a backup QB, not a starter.

But I like him as Luck's backup. If Andrew comes back next year, Brissett can learn from him; he will have a full off season to learn the Colts new offense; and the play calling will hopefully be dramatically better under a new OC. So I am more than willing to give him a normal year to learn and grow. 

If Luck cannot come back, the Colts are in big trouble. We all know that.  Under that scenario, the future starter is not yet on this team.  

I think all of those things can be coached up.  If luck can’t come back for a portion or even the entire season I’d like to see brissetts growth.  One year of starting experience can do wonders for a qb.  

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

I think all of those things can be coached up.  If luck can’t come back for a portion or even the entire season I’d like to see brissetts growth.  One year of starting experience can do wonders for a qb.  

In the back of my mind I cant forget exactly what Ballard said when we traded for him.

Ballard said he was traded for the future.

Was that because he was covering the team in case there were more issues with Luck?

Was it for a future draft pick?

Was it for a back up for Luck because of Tolzien does not need to be resigned?

Any case I think Brissett will get better because of what you mentioned.

All in all I think he done a good job under some pretty rough conditions.