Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Peyton Is Healthy Should We Trade Pick And Draft Tannehill?

PatMcAfeeFan

I was just wondering this. There are people who are saying that Tannehill resembles Favre and Rodgers. If he shows that much talent then if Peyton gets to 100% before next season wouldn't it be nice to have a backup that could learn from him?

I'm not saying this should happen, but what if it did?

I was just wondering this. There are people who are saying that Tannehill resembles Favre and Rodgers. If he shows that much talent then if Peyton gets to 100% before next season wouldn't it be nice to have a backup that could learn from him?

If Peyton is fully healthy by March 8th, and we are confident his arm strength will return, I may consider liking the idea of trading the pick to move down and get a player like Morris Claiborne. Then in the 2nd we could go for a guy like Tannehill. But Id rather just load up the team in positions of need other than QB.

But all this is moot, Luck is the guy and he is a great guy to go with for the future.

And if you get Tannehill, he can play WR while PM is under center. Afterall, that was his original position with Texas A&M.

That makes the most sense to me. The smartest option is to trade the pick because of the bounty we would get for it. Then draft Tannehill and have him learn from the goat while we use the picks to give manning and tannehill some help. Manning is willing to redo the contract but he wants to know he'll play for 3-4 more years if healthy. With Luck, Manning knows that wont happen. Yes luck seems like he will be good, but do people really think he'll produce more than Manning while Manning is still in the league? Let a backup like Tannehill learn and then surround him with talent from the trade.

Uh, no.

Why can't people just accept Luck to the Colts is all but a done deal? Somebody will reach in the mid first round for Tannehill like the Vikings reached for Ponder last year at #12. Everybody who needs a QB after Luck and RG3 are going to reach in the first round for one of the second tier guys.

I'm gonna give you a big fat no on this on.

Why can't people just accept Luck to the Colts is all but a done deal? Somebody will reach in the mid first round for Tannehill like the Vikings reached for Ponder last year at #12. Everybody who needs a QB after Luck and RG3 are going to reach in the first round for one of the second tier guys.

Because most of those people have a hard time thinking that anybody besides Manning will ever be able to win games for the Colts.

It won't happen. This draft has been about Luck for a long time.

If Manning never had his current medical circumstances and was in fine health and the team somehow still managed to go 2-14 with him under center and we had the #1 overall.....I could see trading the pick away for someone willing to give the farm for it. But that ain't reality.

We have QB issues up & down. Orlovsky will probably be here as a 2nd or 3rd stringer but we still need to get one more person at the position in addition to Luck (if Manning is gone) because Curtis Painter showed he can't hack it. Maybe the team brings in a veteran not named Kerry Collins.

I don't believe what I keep reading. He is not coming back people the team has moved on, Peyton has moved on and its time for the fans to do so. Wish Peyton well, welcome in Andrew and let's enjoy the next Colts era...

No one knows anything for sure. If Luck gets drafted by the Colts and starts next season he'll get a painful lesson on how fast the NFL is and will be lucky to get through the first games without a major injury.

Keep Manning, the O line knows his game and let the new quarterback (whomever he is) learn the game like Aaron Rodgers did....then he'll be ready to lead the team.

No one knows anything for sure. If Luck gets drafted by the Colts and starts next season he'll get a painful lesson on how fast the NFL is and will be lucky to get through the first games without a major injury.

Keep Manning, the O line knows his game and let the new quarterback (whomever he is) learn the game like Aaron Rodgers did....then he'll be ready to lead the team.

No one knows anything for sure. If Luck gets drafted by the Colts and starts next season, he will get the same lesson Peyton did when he started in 1998, on how fast the NFL is, and will survive, just as Peyton did, his first games without injury.

Luck is more NFL-ready than Aaron Rodgers was as a draft prospect.

No one knows anything for sure. If Luck gets drafted by the Colts and starts next season, he will get the same lesson Peyton did when he started in 1998, on how fast the NFL is, and will survive, just as Peyton did, his first games without injury.

Luck is more NFL-ready than Aaron Rodgers was as a draft prospect.

It's just my humble opinion, I don't know for sure either but look at old footage of Ryan L eaf and the reports all the experts had on him. He was NFL ready too--before the draft. I'm sure glad we had Bill Polian to make the right choice.

It's just my humble opinion, I don't know for sure either but look at old footage of Ryan L eaf and the reports all the experts had on him. He was NFL ready too--before the draft. I'm sure glad we had Bill Polian to make the right choice.

It's just my humble opinion, I don't know for sure either but look at old footage of Peyton Manning and the new footage of Luck. They are, in many ways eerily similar.

Luck is more like Manning than he is like Leaf. I sure hope Jim Irsay chooses wisely. I am glad he fired Bill Polian, that was the right move.

Most young rookie QBs don't have a major inury in their first games. Normally because one the team goes out of their way to protect their young investment and two most young QBs will throw the ball when they shouldn't to avoid getting hit. Luck will make mistakes as a result of pass rush all rookies do but my guess there is a far better chance he throws a bunch of INTs his rookie year than there is he suffers a major injury like most rookie QBs.

There's gonna be a lot of disappointed fans if luck goes Eli/Elway and wants/forces to be traded...

I mean that is if there is a #18 at 100% in blue and white next year.

Just can't see him wantin any part of that...jmo

I would be very disappointed if Luck pulled an Eli. However, I wouldn't blame him for doing it if Peyton was going to be the starter. I do not foresee a happy relationship between the 2 QBs on the same team.

There's gonna be a lot of disappointed fans if luck goes Eli/Elway and wants/forces to be traded...

I don't think Peyton is coming back.

If he does though I think it depends on how he comes back. If he comes back for a "victory lap" like that has been floated out there then I think Luck might very well agree to come here for a year and learn. I don't think Luck has interest in sitting much beyond that though and nor should he if's viewed as the best QB since Elway in the darft.

I think frankly Luck has been very smart about this, probably the smartest of everyone invovled. He's only talked when people have asked to talk to him and when he's spoke he has said nothing but nice things about Manning and the Colts but while leaving the door open to say hey I don't want to go there. I think like the rest of us Luck is just waiting to see how this plays out.

At the very least if you want a backup to Manning take RG3.

Luck and RG3 are miles ahead the rest of the QBs and RG3 still needs some work. He can sit behind Manning.

I would rather have Tannehill, Foles etc than RGIII. RGIII will be LUCKY if he turns out to be comparable to Vick...and i wouldnt want Vick as my team's starting QB, either!

What if Manning is healthy and the Colts decide to draft.... Me for their QB? I am in good shape... I do the Insanity Workouts ever morning... that can't be too far beind being ready for the NFL and I can learn behind Manning! I am a great clipboard holder... use one at work all the time... I graduated college so they know I am smart... And I play Madden so I practically have the Colts playbook memorized already! I might be a little shorter than the average NFL QB (I'm 5'9"), but what I lack in height I make up in squirliness....

I will be ready on draft day for my phone to ring. I will be very cap friendly, Mr. Irsay!

Don't worry I wont forget all you little people....

What's wrong with Vick?

He has dog issues but I'd have liked to have had him last year

well for starters, he has only played ONE...thats right, ONE full season in his ENTIRE CAREER...every single season but that one, he has missed multiple games due to injury. He is one of the most over paid starting QBs in the entire NFL, in my opinion

Because most of those people have a hard time thinking that anybody besides Manning will ever be able to win games for the Colts.

Just like a lot of people have a hard time believing we will win any games in the next 10 years if we don't draft Luck. The hype about Luck is his nfl-readiness. If we have a healthy Manning back then we don't need a QB who is nfl-ready but rather can reach slightly for one who needs a little polishing (ala Aaron Rodgers). My preference would be for Nick Foles though. I can't really say that I think Tannehill is overrated because the major reason for his current draft status is all about potential and not how well he plays now. He could wind up being great or he could wind up being a WR. Foles however is a great QB with deadly accuracy who could be groomed under Manning and ready to start in 1-3 years. I have no idea how the "experts" have him ranked behind Tannehill and especially behind guys like Osweiler and Cousins. I can kind of see Wheeden but then again I think they're a lot closer talent-wise than most would give them credit for.

And Colts fans will then hate him like they did Elway and like Charger fans hate Eli.

Hopefully, if that does happen it is more like Eli's situation where the trade is already arranged before hand.

Peyton survived and so have other young QBs. Everything has lined up perfectly for us to move on to a new era...not to would set this franchise back 5-7 years easily.

Peyton survived and so have other young QBs. Everything has lined up perfectly for us to move on to a new era...not to would set this franchise back 5-7 years easily.

Yes, the new quarterback would survive but it wouldn't be a setback to stay with Manning, in fact it probably would aid the transition and raise chances of a winning season next year....that is if he can play and if he does stay.

I know, thats a lot of ifs but nothing is set in stone yet, has anyone heard from Rob Lowe lately?

Yes, the new quarterback would survive but it wouldn't be a setback to stay with Manning, in fact it probably would aid the transition and raise chances of a winning season next year....that is if he can play and if he does stay.

I know, thats a lot of ifs but nothing is set in stone yet, has anyone heard from Rob Lowe lately?

What is certain is that Peyton won't play for free and paying him the ten plus million towards the cap now is to much any more would just be foolish...

At the very least if you want a backup to Manning take RG3.

Luck and RG3 are miles ahead the rest of the QBs and RG3 still needs some work. He can sit behind Manning.

Agreed. Plus, there is the possibility both Luck and RGIII could be taken 1st and 2nd overall. The Rams do not need a QB, so there's been talk they may trade down to a team who is excited for RGIII.

So if the Colts trade down to even just the 3rd overall selection, there's a real possibility both QB's are gone. I say just take Luck now and don't look back.

Peyton wouldn't beable to teach these QBs the intangibles that Luck has, not to mention some of the tangibles. The less Manning has to teach, the better. All Luck has to learn from Manning is some tricks in game management and how to run a practice.