Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb Is Not A Need, Pass On Luck

manning2dallas

I am just saying after every pass he completes you get to hear how great he is and as soon as the commercial is over we are greeted by a "Andrew Luck is the greatest." I am not saying he is not good, I am just saying that he probably is not the best athlete in the draft. I think we all saw RG3 pile up points, if we must draft a QB i would prefer him. Sure he doesn't have the super hype that Luck has but he was an olympic caliber hurdler.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why people say Andrew Lucks arm isn't dominant, all you have to do is look at his highlights on YouTube, especially his picture perfect 50 yard throw to Doug Baldwin just to name one. Saying he doesn't have an arm is like saying Arian Foster doesn't have legs lol... :facepalm:

I am just saying after every pass he completes you get to hear how great he is and as soon as the commercial is over we are greeted by a "Andrew Luck is the greatest." I am not saying he is not good, I am just saying that he probably is not the best athlete in the draft. I think we all saw RG3 pile up points, if we must draft a QB i would prefer him. Sure he doesn't have the super hype that Luck has but he was an olympic caliber hurdler.

I don't think Peyton was the best athlete in his draft either........

I don't think many of the best QBs in this league right now are the best athletes in the league.

We take risks everyday. When we go outside, we bank on not coming into contact with a virulent disease, being attacked by a swarm of bees, etc. Everything we do is technically "banking" it. At this point, Peyton is ahead of schedule.

This is the best you have?

Also I don't know about you but if there was some news reporter telling me there is a swarm of bees outside that will attacking you when you go out I wouldn't go outside.

That's what is going on here. It's not like we are talking about some injury that MIGHT happen to Peyton we are talking about something he currently has. IE someone is warning us not to go outside it's dangrous to use what you were talking about.

Look at it this way since you like real world example say you went to buy a car and you had your current car and you knew it was getting older and there was a serious problem with the engine and you were going to have to pay a huge fee for that car to be fixed and your repair guy couldn't promise you he could fix it or you could have the brand new car with no issues which would you pick? I don't know about you but I am going with the new car no matter how much I loved the old car.

That's what is going on here we aren't talking about a healthy Peyton Manning. If we were this would be a much eaiser question of what to do because frankly we probably wouldn't have been in this spot because we probably win more than two games last season with him at QB. Peyton has a very real issue with his arm that no one knows when it's going to get better or if it's going to get better. I am sorry but you can't pay him the 28 million dollar bonus and lock ourselves into the contract with him without knowing for sure that he's healthy. The risk of getting it wrong is too high and the results if we get it wrong will wreck this franchise probably for the next 10 years at least.

You are right in every day life we all take some kinda risk but also in every day life most of us look at situations and if we feel the risk is too high we avoid those situations. This is one of those situations.

Very rarely is a QB the best "athlete" in the draft. Peyton sure wasn't in 1998. Luckly this isn't about finding the best athlete in the draft it's about finding the best "player". When you look at it from the stand point QBs value sky rockets.

There's nothing wrong with picking talent over need, especially for arguably the most important position in football. Teams needs success at the QB position to compete for a championship. Green Bay, New England, Giants, Saints... they all have stellar QB's.

Why go with Luck? Because Peyton and the Colts have too many question marks entering next season:

1.) Peyton had four neck surgeries. Will opposing defenses aim for Peyton's neck? Probably.

2.) Will Peyton last the entire next season?

3.) How will Peyton perform coming off these neck surgeries and not having played an entire season?

4.) How will Peyton respond to literally an entirely new coaching staff?

5.) How will the players respond to an out-of-sync Peyton Manning?

6.) Can Reggie and or Saturday be retained? If not, Peyton's talents will be compromised regardless.

7.) Can the Colts afford (or be willing) to pay Peyton his bonus? Going with Luck with the new rookie wage scale is a lot cheaper.

Get him at 6??? No way! Now THAT is ludicrous. He is considered by many to be the best player in this year's draft and the best CB prospect of ALL TIME. Yes, that good. STL wouldn't choose a WR over him. WRs are to be had later in the draft, whereas CB is a premium position. If STL doesn't take him, Redskins have a pressing need at CB (Hall sucks) and could trade up to get him.

We will have Peyton this year. And besides, Painter and Orlovsky proved that they were solid back-ups. It was the defense that did us in.

not sure what planet you're from, but while i agree that Claiborne is good...he wasnt even the best CB on his own team last season!

the ONLY thing that RGIII has is HYPE

This thread is great comic relief. I hope that asucolt606 & manning2dallas are not being serious, but either way it's funny. :lol: Actually, in the spirit of fair play, since the Colts have had such a great run of winning seasons the past 13 years, why don't they just give away the first pick to a less fortunate team. Then the other teams will see how magnanimous the Colts are and praise the organization for it.

Try and trade pick to the browns for their two first rounders. Then try and get kellen Moore from Boise state with 2nd or 3rd round pick

Kellen Moore is a fan-favorite but no way he is worth a 2nd rounder. This draft needs to be BPA at every pick so I say we go with Melvin Ingram with our 2nd and Barron in the 3rd. Add some attitude to the D. Then we can pick up Russell Wilson or Kellen Moore (best 2 QBs in colleges last seaso, the numbers dont lie) in rd 4 as an insurance plan for PM, who should be healthy

I'm going to give an opinion I believe others will agree with as well. If the colts stuck with the #1 pick just to get Claiborne, the colts organization would be looked at as making the dumbest decision in the past decade if not longer than that. Now please tell me what sense it takes to get Claiborne with the #1 pick when you can get him at #2 or even all the way down to #6. It's extremely foolish (I'm being extremely kind by saying foolish) not to trade down to get Claiborne if we truly wanted him. Also to say STL would gladly take him at #2 is a reach considering they need a LT and also have a good chance of trading down if someone wants RGIII if we get Luck. Another thing, to say QB isn't a need is flat out silly. Manning will retire one day this is a fact. When? None of us know, but he's not going to be playing in 2020 that's for sure. Luck is a prospect in which you either take or you get the best freaking trade ever in the NFL when trading down.

TLDR: Dumbest freakin idea ever and ludicrous to say that QB isn't a need.

Most Fans and the media would lynch Irsay/grigson if a qb was not selected.

Many fans will lynch them if they do. Pretty sure the media would find a way to never stop criticizing in this eventuality as well

Kellen Moore is a fan-favorite but no way he is worth a 2nd rounder. This draft needs to be BPA at every pick so I say we go with Melvin Ingram with our 2nd and Barron in the 3rd. Add some attitude to the D. Then we can pick up Russell Wilson or Kellen Moore (best 2 QBs in colleges last seaso, the numbers dont lie) in rd 4 as an insurance plan for PM, who should be healthy

Quite Good, wouldnt mind trading first pick for many picks & taking him for future

How's he an * if he's not going to trade the pick? The picks are slotted now so it's not like Luck can use it against us for contract talks. It would be dumb if Irsay was running around going I want to trade the pick. It's also not like someone can jump ahead of us and steal the player we want either. There isn't really a down side for Irsay saying who he wants with the top pick.

If anything saying you are going to take Luck will drive the value up because teams know you are planning on trading it so they are going to have to offer you even more for it. With that said I really don't think that even matters because I don't think irsay is going to trade the pick no matter what smoeone offers him. I think he wants Luck and unless Luck makes him trade it I don't think he's going to do it.

agree with that

I'm going to give an opinion I believe others will agree with as well. If the colts stuck with the #1 pick just to get Claiborne, the colts organization would be looked at as making the dumbest decision in the past decade if not longer than that. Now please tell me what sense it takes to get Claiborne with the #1 pick when you can get him at #2 or even all the way down to #6. It's extremely foolish (I'm being extremely kind by saying foolish) not to trade down to get Claiborne if we truly wanted him. Also to say STL would gladly take him at #2 is a reach considering they need a LT and also have a good chance of trading down if someone wants RGIII if we get Luck. Another thing, to say QB isn't a need is flat out silly. Manning will retire one day this is a fact. When? None of us know, but he's not going to be playing in 2020 that's for sure. Luck is a prospect in which you either take or you get the best freaking trade ever in the NFL when trading down.

TLDR: Dumbest freakin idea ever and ludicrous to say that QB isn't a need.

agree would be foolish &

BUT Feel that luck will be worth more than any other pick ever in draft choices 1 can get for him, I'd rather get those choices and build an all around team, also with extra picks can probably, not definitely trade up next year if want a better QB for future if pick one later this year and we dont think he is a future leader, but by filling so many needs , even if 1 is a bust , between this years & next years extra picks we can really build a team that doesnt depend then solely on a qb to pull all the rest out of the fire

Probabluy can still get claiborne or Richardson or some true stud after a trade pending the trade partner & yes if Rams & vikings dont trade away they will pick a WR I think for Bradford to throw to & Vikings a LT to protect poinder

so calirborne and others will hopefully still be around, to take claiborne @ # 1 ,,Well Diplomatically let me say , thats just not well thought out

Luck is NOT the greatest prospect of all time, he's not even the most physically capable QB so how in the world can he be the best prospect ever?

The colts need to take a QB be it luck, RG3 or Ryan they need one cause peyton will most likely not be a colt next season.

I'm sure the same ppl who are praising luck now will be the same ppl unfairly criticizing him when he's quickly brought back down to earth by NFL defenses.

Even if Peyton is 100% healthy we need a backup QB. This past season showed us that without a capable backup our offense is dead in the water. Peyton is aging and may have only a couple of good years left. It would be foolish to pass on a QB prospect that may be as dominant in a couple of years as Peyton has been. We passed on a couple of good QBs in 2011 to rebuild our OL. Curtis Painter is not going to be a dominant QB. In college he was benched for making foolish mental mistakes. He has all the physical tools but not the mental makeup to lead a team. We need the best possible QB we can find to continue to lead this team into the future. Peyton does not seem to be 100% healthy so maybe we need a credible QB now. Luck and RGIII are both suppose to be better prospects than Cam Newton and Cam had one of the best rookie season in NFL history. If the Colts pass on one of the two best prospects to come out in recent memory it could have repercussions that hurts the team for years to come. Cinncinatti traded its QB and Dalton took them into the playoffs as a rookie. Irsay has to take Luck or RGIII to have any credibility as an owner and to insure the team has a chance going forward.

Which is exactly why Claiborne is the right pick.

I have to assume you are joking with this thread. No way you can be serious because:

* anyone with an ounce of football IQ would recognize that QB is an absolute need for the Colts

* anyone with an ounce of football IQ would have to recognize that you don't take a player that you can get in the 5th or 6th pick range with the first overall pick. Even accepting your QB is not a need for the Colts premise, no one in their right mind would make Claiborne the first pick because you can get him later and get more picks in the process

So I have to assume you are just having some fun and are not as draft clueless as those that take you seriously would have to believe. So in short - good one. Thanks for the laugh.

I wish the forum would have a day(just one day) where we could tell others exactly how we feel without being banned for it. I wonder reading some of these threads if some posters have ever watched a day of NFL football in their lives. Seriously, "Painter and Orlavsky proved to be capable backups"??????? Im not naming names, but that is one of the most ignorant statements made on this forum. I can't even imagine what some people are smoking to get some of the ridiculous idea's they come up with. I also really wish I would never see "Peyton has 5-6 yrs. left", Uum, No he does not, I would guarantee that.

At this point every prospect is hyped, cause none has yet to prove anything in the NFL.

But with that said all "hype" is, is being talked about, and Luck has him beat so far. But will see how hyped rgIII will be after the combine...

Andrew Luck has far and away better QB skills + all of the intangibles. RGIII is the flavor of the month...every draft has one, the guy who was relatively unknown and all of a sudden he has a meteoric rise up the charts in his last season before the NFL...and 99% of them are great failures at the NFL level

No he's not. The right pick is the best player in the draft and the guy that just about everyone is calling the best draft prospect to come along since Elway and could be a once in a generation guy. Could Luck be a bust? Sure he could, but so could anyone else in the draft and you don't pass on that kind of talent.

This isn't the only first round draft pick the Colts are ever going to have again. There are going to be chances to get corners again. Maybe they wont be Claiborne but they will still be good none the less. That's like saying we should have taken Charles Woodson over Peyton Manning in the 1998 draft. We needed help on defense then too but we had the chance to take a guy that people were saying was going to be a special player in Manning and we did it. It doesn't mean Woodson hasn't been a heck of a player. He has been but I've seen a lot more cornerbacks come along since then that are closer to Woodson's level than I have QB come along that are close to Manning's.

I am glad I read this thread. Charles Woodson was a beast...and is still playing 'well,' but not a a Pro Bowl Number 18 is nearing the end, but at 85% is better that all but the 4 elite. You either Pick Luck for the future (I love RG3 myself) or trade for multiple number ones and extra picks....Cleveland would be a nice destination for Luck....nice winds from the north of of Erie or Seattle...keep his as far away as possible if he succeeds.

Not a conspiracy theorist but don't you think it is a little odd how ESPN seems to be the ones who make the moves happen or force them to happen on how they report. Why is Luck so good? Is it because he went to Stanford and is considered smart? Look, his arm is not dominant and i think we all know how the media creations end up when it comes time to play. Marijuanavich anyone? Leaf? Carr? Russel?

Coming out of college, Manning was said to have an average arm but after hard work, it is said he had a lazer rocket arm so thats correctable with work. Smarts for football and impressive talent is not, you either have that or you don't. Luck has proven his worth for a few years, the others you mentioned, not as much. Even if all things were eqaul and you have a QB and a CB that in all rights are equally as great at their position for this draft, you take the QB since everything runs through them first. A CB may be able to dictate his part of the field and force you to throw away from him, that is just one area. The QB dictates where an entire defense has to defend so that position will always be more valuable.

We take risks everyday. When we go outside, we bank on not coming into contact with a virulent disease, being attacked by a swarm of bees, etc. Everything we do is technically "banking" it. At this point, Peyton is ahead of schedule.

Ahead of schedule huh, can you provide me a link where his throwing is ahead of schedule and he is going to be fine to return this year? If Manning were known to be 100% and play for another 4 years, I MAY entertain a trade down for a ransom of picks if I were running he show but at this point, nobody knows how, where, when or if Manning can return this year at an effective level. If you can't get him at his old self or better, your going to be labled an * for not taking another Manning, Elway or Montana type player that is easily available to you with this pick. Getting a Aron Rogers or Tom Brady with a later pick is even more rare than getting an opportunity to be right with the first pick in the draft so you can look short term (young people do this in everyday life) or long term (more seasoned group).

I wish the forum would have a day(just one day) where we could tell others exactly how we feel without being banned for it. I wonder reading some of these threads if some posters have ever watched a day of NFL football in their lives. Seriously, "Painter and Orlavsky proved to be capable backups"??????? Im not naming names, but that is one of the most ignorant statements made on this forum. I can't even imagine what some people are smoking to get some of the ridiculous idea's they come up with. I also really wish I would never see "Peyton has 5-6 yrs. left", Uum, No he does not, I would guarantee that.

I agree, but the thread is good for a laugh.

I will say it again he may be the third best qb in the draft

Not sure about 3, but I watched RG3 practicing 3 step drops, 5 and 7 step drops. Any comparison to Vick is 'criminal" RG3 consistently is looking to throw before the run....and has a gun...I think he would be fastastic indoors at Lucas Oil.

I agree as we have had this talk before,i think RG3 is more able to make all the throws,and you know i like Keenum as well,and im not saying Luck isnt talented but ,i agree to an extent with the media hype tag,but over all i think RG3 is a beter shot of making a big impact,people dont give him credit for inteligence but you and i have discussed this i think hes very smart

Just what we need another Jeff GEORGE i so enjoyed the time he was here

Exactly which player that the Colts are considering is "another Jeff George"? I know he has a son that plays at Brebeuf, but he will not be eligible for at least 6 years.

Are you mad? Smart move would be to take Trent Richardson at 1. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to finally give Peyton a legit number 1 running back? I can see it now...excuse me as I reminisce about the glory days of Manning and Edgerrin James. Give Peyton a running back and watch him take us back to the glory land. Besides why give up on a sure fire hall of famer for some kid with a weak arm. Luck is nothing more then a media creation!!! Don't Buy into the hype.

Exactly! It's about time we got another EJ or Faulk or something of that nature.

We been playing with mediocre running backs for 8 years now.

comon now

You could also argue that Luck is the greatest QB prospect of all time.

You can also argue that he is a hyped up, media creation sugar cookie that has a chance of becoming a bust.

Andrew Luck has more of a chance of being an average NFL QB or even a bust, then being a star or a superstar NFL QB.

I will take my chances and let Peyton play until he is ready to retire. Take RG3, the kid is willing to learn and is willing to sit and watch.

If in 5 years RG3 is a better QB than Luck, I will...........

QB is not a need for us...we have literally the greatest QB of ALL TIME on our roster. We should be looking to win now, not a guy who might start for us 5-6 years down the road. Personally, I think we should stay in the no.1 slot to choose Claiborne. Perhaps the greatest CB prospect of all time, a true beast. Our secondary is atrocious so it'd fill a need to. Trading down would be nice but we can't risk it since STL would gladly take him at 2.

Or....perhaps let Manning go, pass on Luck, and do the right thing by giving Curtis Painter a second chance and trade all draft choices to New England for free.

Seems like we haven't learnt anything from last season?

Manning can ber injured any time...actually it may happen to any players on field...he is neither unbreakable, nor will be playing untill the end of Time. We could see very well last season, what happens without him... We don't have backups...Painter hasn't prooved himself, Orlovsky is better, but he still needs to improve a lot.

It seems like we canot go forvard without an other QB (wether Luck or RGIII) beside Manning.

We will have Peyton this year. And besides, Painter and Orlovsky proved that they were solid back-ups. It was the defense that did us in.

*Facepalm* I can see why you think QB is not a need.

1. NO ONE knows if PM will be playing again, so you are willing to make such a move and build around a player that people aren't even certain can physically play next year?

2. Yeah, Dan-O and The Painter really proved to be serviceable backups. Let's depend on them another year.

As I predicted, fans have deleted last season out of their brains and act as if it never happened.

Manning can ber injured any time...actually it may happen to any players on field...

Andrew Luck can be injured in the first game and be out for the season. Also could be career ending or make the injury have a negative affect on his career.

He can also be a bust or a pedestrian average QB.

Once again, your precious cookie Andrew can be also injured and twist every nerve in his neck in the first game.