Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it possible?

AKB

Is it possible for Chuck to move down to Defensive Coordinator next season? How likely is this?

I know it would be quite unusual. His time management, and calls on short downs are extremely questionable. I have also noticed the same pattern of plays being run on 1st and 2nd down for... well; his entire tenure in Indy, regardless of OC. Could he be similar to some of the other great defensive minds in the league? (Wade, Rex). Great coordinators, but definitely questionable with game management as a whole. 

Pagano to DC

Monnachino to LB coach

New HC

New OC

It would be a split staff, but I think this is VERY possible. And I think we might see something like this next season.

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Is it possible for Chuck to move down to Defensive Coordinator next season? How likely is this?

I know it would be quite unusual. His time management, and calls on short downs are extremely questionable. I have also noticed the same pattern of plays being run on 1st and 2nd down for... well; his entire tenure in Indy, regardless of OC. Could he be similar to some of the other great defensive minds in the league? (Wade, Rex). Great coordinators, but definitely questionable with game management as a whole. 

Pagano to DC

Monnachino to LB coach

New HC

New OC

It would be a split staff, but I think this is VERY possible. And I think we might see something like this next season.

Not a chance

Please no........if the mantra "competition, earn your spot" is to be believed it has to apply to the coaches too......they've done nothing to develop young players since 2012.  I don't want pags and company anywhere near our '18 draft class.  Time to move on....

11 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

ill only say this once. Ahem when pagano left the ravens, The very next year they went to the Superbowl. Nuff said 

A lot of things happened that year with the Ravens.     Chuck leaving had nothing to do with them making the Super Bowl.

There's no connection.

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

Pagano to DC

Monnachino to LB coach

New HC

New OC

To answer your question.....

No.    The chances of this happening are zero.      You don't want any old baggage for the new coaching and the staff that he brings in.       It's a clean break for everyone.

Besides,  neither Pagano or Monachino would want to stay with demotions.      They can go elsewhere and get a fresh start there.....

15 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Pagano to DC

Monnachino to LB coach

New HC

New OC

NO WAY

16 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Pagano to DC

Monnachino to LB coach

New HC

New OC

No because there would be a conflict of interest.     Chucks been here for years and if a new HC is brought in and we did allow Chuck to move to DC the new HC would have to operate his team with someone that may have ill will for being fired.   You don't want to be looking over your shoulders.   I haven't seen any situation for as long as I've been watching football where the HC is fired and then retained as the DC or for that matter any other position on that same team.   

Secondly I doubt Chuck would want to accept a DC position on the same team he got fired from.      Chuck may not even want to be a coordinator anywhere again.   With most of them once they reach HC status and have some success at it they usually don't move back down to a coordinator role.  Unless it's a guy who is really just a Coordinator at heart like Wade Phillips,  Dick Lebeau, etc.

1 hour ago, J@son said:

Based on what? 

he was only DC for ONE, REPEAT, ONE year.  He took over an already stacked Ravens Defense. a defense that was ranked 3rd overall going into the 2011 season in which he was DC.  Prior to that, he was a secondary coach for the Ravens, which ironically enough, was ranked just 21st in passing defense in the league from 2008-2010, the season's Pagano was the secondary coach.  If you look, whats interesting is that the Raven's D overall didnt budge one way or the other when Pagano took over, but when he took over, the Passing D improved from the 21st ranked passing D with problems creating turnovers, to the 4th ranked passing D and improved to number 1 in the league against allowing passing TDs.  Now, was that a product of Pagano as DC or was it the new secondary coach that took over for Pagano?  Personally, I think Grigs and Irsay didn't look deep enough at Pagano and made a Huge mistake hiring him and even bigger keeping him.  

17 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Pagano to DC

Monnachino to LB coach

New HC

New OC

Why would you do that? We've all seen what his defense is capable of. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

No because there would be a conflict of interest.     Chucks been here for years and if a new HC is brought in and we did allow Chuck to move to DC the new HC would have to operate his team with someone that may have ill will for being fired.   You don't want to be looking over your shoulders.   I haven't seen any situation for as long as I've been watching football where the HC is fired and then retained as the DC or for that matter any other position on that same team.   

Secondly I doubt Chuck would want to accept a DC position on the same team he got fired from.      Chuck may not even want to be a coordinator anywhere again.   With most of them once they reach HC status and have some success at it they usually don't move back down to a coordinator role.  Unless it's a guy who is really just a Coordinator at heart like Wade Phillips,  Dick Lebeau, etc.

Agree whole heartily with your first parahraph.  Second, there are a ton of cases where a semi-successful HC became a coord. again.

Mike Tice, Mike Martz are two examples.

But to OP's question.  No and I agree there is not enough evidence that he was a good DC.  He had one year with a stacked D that included Ray Lewis, Suggs, Reed and Ngata.  (however his name is spelled).

I don't think Pagano is as bad as many on this forum (nonsense about no half time adjustments and not developing young players are comments made by, IMO, the uninformed and people who know next to nothing about football).  But I've never really been a fan.  I remember when a lot of fans wanted to get rid of Caldwell they claimed he had a stacked roster when they went 14-2 and then the SB.  But thought Chuck would be great because he lead the Ravens D.  Never considering how stacked that D was.  Oh well.  Pagano has 8 more games in Indy.  Might as well grin and bare it.

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Agree whole heartily with your first parahraph.  Second, there are a ton of cases where a semi-successful HC became a coord. again.

Mike Tice, Mike Martz are two examples.

But to OP's question.  No and I agree there is not enough evidence that he was a good DC.  He had one year with a stacked D that included Ray Lewis, Suggs, Reed and Ngata.  (however his name is spelled).

I don't think Pagano is as bad as many on this forum (nonsense about no half time adjustments and not developing young players are comments made by, IMO, the uninformed and people who know next to nothing about football).  But I've never really been a fan.  I remember when a lot of fans wanted to get rid of Caldwell they claimed he had a stacked roster when they went 14-2 and then the SB.  But thought Chuck would be great because he lead the Ravens D.  Never considering how stacked that D was.  Oh well.  Pagano has 8 more games in Indy.  Might as well grin and bare it.

I think we are on the same page but most of those guys you mentioned are really nothing more than Coordinators when it all boils down to it.   That's basically where they are best suited.   The guys who really are head coach material usually dont go back down that road.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

he was only DC for ONE, REPEAT, ONE year.  He took over an already stacked Ravens Defense. a defense that was ranked 3rd overall going into the 2011 season in which he was DC.  Prior to that, he was a secondary coach for the Ravens, which ironically enough, was ranked just 21st in passing defense in the league from 2008-2010, the season's Pagano was the secondary coach.  If you look, whats interesting is that the Raven's D overall didnt budge one way or the other when Pagano took over, but when he took over, the Passing D improved from the 21st ranked passing D with problems creating turnovers, to the 4th ranked passing D and improved to number 1 in the league against allowing passing TDs.  Now, was that a product of Pagano as DC or was it the new secondary coach that took over for Pagano?  Personally, I think Grigs and Irsay didn't look deep enough at Pagano and made a Huge mistake hiring him and even bigger keeping him.  

I get all that and I could understand if you'd said his ability as a DC is in question because of all that but I don't get how all of that means he wasn't very good as a DC

3 minutes ago, J@son said:

I get all that and I could understand if you'd said his ability as a DC is in question because of all that but I don't get how all of that means he wasn't very good as a DC

Re-read what I originally said.  I said he wasn't that great.  And in all honesty, with only 1 year to judge,I don't think we can honestly say that he was any good or bad.  Those Raven defenses were so good that even my 3 year old daughter would look like a Defensive guru taking over the reigns to them.

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Re-read what I originally said.  I said he wasn't that great.  And in all honesty, with only 1 year to judge,I don't think we can honestly say that he was any good or bad.  Those Raven defenses were so good that even my 3 year old daughter would look like a Defensive guru taking over the reigns to them.

And again I agree with all that so imo saying he wasn't that great is unfair since we really don't know. 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It's pretty obvious that he wasn't to me.

you're talking out both sides of your mouth now...

22 minutes ago, csmopar said:

And in all honesty, with only 1 year to judge,I don't think we can honestly say that he was any good or bad. 

3 minutes ago, J@son said:

you're talking out both sides of your mouth now...

sorry, let me clarify.  I don't think we can fairly or honestly judge him on a single season.  That being said, I'm saying that about his time as a DC at Baltimore. When i say he's not been good to great, I'm judging that on his time here in Indy. 

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

sorry, let me clarify.  I don't think we can fairly or honestly judge him on a single season.  That being said, I'm saying that about his time as a DC at Baltimore. When i say he's not been good to great, I'm judging that on his time here in Indy. 

ok that definitely makes more sense, but at the same time I'd point out that he hasn't been the DC here in Indy.  Unfortunately we really don't know how much input he's had. despite the stats, I do like what they've been trying to do with the defense here.  They just haven't had much talent to work with (up until this season really) and injuries in the secondary have killed us the past couple of years.  Overall though I do like the direction they've been trying to go though.  

I hope that whoever comes in as HC next year brings a DC that will run a similar style of 3-4 but with much better playcalling and game planning.  

Just now, J@son said:

ok that definitely makes more sense, but at the same time I'd point out that he hasn't been the DC here in Indy.  Unfortunately we really don't know how much input he's had. despite the stats, I do like what they've been trying to do with the defense here.  They just haven't had much talent to work with (up until this season really) and injuries in the secondary have killed us the past couple of years.  Overall though I do like the direction they've been trying to go though.  

I hope that whoever comes in as HC next year brings a DC that will run a similar style of 3-4 but with much better playcalling and game planning.  

As a head coach with defensive experience, if you see that your DC is struggling with calling plays or scheme, you step in and help.  We've had 2 different DCs and both have sucked, actually, come to think of it, maybe it is that Chuck is calling the plays and that's the problem.  What I find weird is that we have two guys rumored to be gurus at CB(chuck) and again at LB(Ted) but yet those are arguably the worst two positions we have on D! 90 % of which is scheme related

Just now, csmopar said:

As a head coach with defensive experience, if you see that your DC is struggling with calling plays or scheme, you step in and help.  We've had 2 different DCs and both have sucked, actually, come to think of it, maybe it is that Chuck is calling the plays and that's the problem.  What I find weird is that we have two guys rumored to be gurus at CB(chuck) and again at LB(Ted) but yet those are arguably the worst two positions we have on D! 90 % of which is scheme related

That's one way to look at it.  But on the flip side, they also took guys like Mathias Farley and Rashaan Melvin and have turned them into pretty good players.  both guys were on the streets last year when the Colts had to find bodies because Davis, Robinson and Butler all got hurt before the season even started.  I'd call the secondary issues 50% lack of talent and 50% poor playcalling/scheming.

As for the LBs, I think our OLBs are all playing pretty well overall.  It's the ILBs that really struggle.  Again I'd call that 50% lack of talent and 50% poor playcalling/scheming.  

21 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Pagano to DC

Monnachino to LB coach

New HC

New OC

I could be wrong,   but I don't think that has ever happened

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A lot of things happened that year with the Ravens.     Chuck leaving had nothing to do with them making the Super Bowl.

There's no connection.

After reading a few of your recent posts, I'm curious as to where you stand on Pagano?  Do you want him gone or no?