Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts are a Circus

BlueShoe

3 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

We all understood that this team could struggle. Every Colts fan knew that going into this season. That can also be said of any season. 

It doesn't give Ballard a free pass. He owns this too. This 2-14 stain will be a permanent mark against his record. I don't have any idea why so many others are so willing to blow it off as if it doesn't count. 

No one is saying that.  But given the circumstances Ballard is not going to be in the hot seat after one season. 

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

You're right.  2-14 (if it happens and it seems likely too) will go on his resume.  I think he will be ok with that if down the road he builds the Colts into a strong franchise.  We just have to wait and see how it all plays up.  When you rebuild...you have to tear down and look at the rubble.  We are at a rubble state...necessary before we can put a better team on the field down the road.  Like Irsay has publicly espoused...he is willing to sacrifice a few losing seasons for multiple Lombardi's. Whether or not that plan plays out remains to be seen.

So we are awarding a person with great results before they actually produce great results? Not me!

That is not how the NFL works. Chris Ballard is not getting 5 years to fix this mess. He will get this one-time allowance to go backwards, but he will have to show steady improvement from 2018 an on.

I am not going to give him a pass. He owns this mess! And I doubt he would want anyone to give him a free pass. He seems like a man who can own his successes and failures to me.

12 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I have no problem being patient.

I am going to be truthful though, and people who believe this (2017) 2-14 record magically does not appear on Chris Ballard's resume are completely fooling themselves. He cannot escape it either. It's going on his permanent record. 

Doesn't mean he's a bad GM.  It's more due to the situation he stepped into.  If Luck were healthy, the team would be winning more games.  If his predecessor had built the roster better, the team would be winning more games.  A bad team performance in 2017 isn't indicative of the type of GM Ballard is.

3 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

No one is saying that.  But given the circumstances Ballard is not going to be in the hot seat after one season. 

Oh rest assured, Ballard will be climbing into that hot seat right after Pagano and his boys jump in the clown-car and head out of Indy. 

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

Doesn't mean he's a bad GM.  It's more due to the situation he stepped into.  If Luck were healthy, the team would be winning more games.  If his predecessor had built the roster better, the team would be winning more games.  A bad team performance in 2017 isn't indicative of the type of GM Ballard is.

Really people lack patience if he has a couple more seasons like this they would have a point. Until then this is going to take time its unrealistic to have any other expectation at this point in time for the Colts.

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

So we are awarding a person with great results before they actually produce great results? Not me!

That is not how the NFL works. Chris Ballard is not getting 5 years to fix this mess. He will get this one-time allowance to go backwards, but he will have to show steady improvement from 2018 an on.

I am not going to give him a pass. He owns this mess! And I doubt he would want anyone to give him a free pass. He seems like a man who can own his successes and failures to me.

What part of  "we have to wait and see how it plays out" or "whether or not that plays out remains to be seen" did you not understand? 

Dude...I'm done.  Good luck with the Ballard bashing in year one of his tenure.  I'm off to get ready to watch this game.

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

I never said he was a bad GM. In 10 weeks (or less) he will have all the attention on him though. 

I am sure every fired GM can blame the losses on the situation though. 

10 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

He's already brought in better players and is very serious on protecting the franchise.  Why else would he have Andrew take an endorphin shot? He wants him to be 100% with his shoulder and shore up an oline that can protect him. You can't just want everyone fired because we are a bad team. Patience. We've only seen 1 draft and 1 FA of Ballard's. 

FA grade is probably a B but his first draft is close to an F. Hooker is good but that’s it.

11 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

What part of  "we have to wait and see how it plays out" or "whether or not that plays out remains to be seen" did you not understand? 

Dude...I'm done.  Good luck with the Ballard bashing in year one of his tenure.  I'm off to get ready to watch this game.

We all understand that this will play out the way it does. That goes without needing to be said.

What part of 2-14 don't you understand?

I never said he was a bad GM. In 10 weeks (or less) he will have all the attention on him though. 

I am sure every fired GM can blame the losses on the situation though. 

Why would the attention be on him?  He's done a relatively good job with the hand he was dealt.  The attention is mostly on Pagano, and rightly so.  Ballard can sit comfortably

We all understand that this will play out the way it does. That goes without needed to be said.

What part of 2-14 don't you understand?

Oh so we've already played the season?  I must have missed that.  We aren't 2-14 yet man.  Is it probable...yeah but you're jumping the gun.  Let's see how the rest of the year plays out.

You're a good dude BlueShoe.  I know you are frustrated with the state of the Shoe right now.  We all are buddy.

4 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Why would the attention be on him?  He's done a relatively good job with the hand he was dealt.  The attention is mostly on Pagano, and rightly so.  Ballard can sit comfortably

That is the problem I have @21isSuperman!

That is my problem with all of this. Everyone keeps saying that Ballard has done a good job. In what world is 2-14 (likely to happen) a good job!

We can say he battled through some tough situations. We can say he took his lumps. We can even say he took this year to learn the job. But what we cannot say is that Chris Ballard has done a good job. We are going 2-14 and people are talking about how our GM has done such a good job. Has everyone gone crazy!

2 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Oh so we've already played the season?  I must have missed that.  We aren't 2-14 yet man.  Is it probable...yeah but you're jumping the gun.  Let's see how the rest of the year plays out.

You're a good dude BlueShoe.  I know you are frustrated with the state of the Shoe right now.  We all are buddy.

Do you see this season playing out differently?

I would welcome more wins. Without Luck, then I don't see any more wins for us though. 

We can agree that it is frustrating. :) 

Ballard is in the hot seat (lol)!!! Ballard has stated from the beginning that this is going to take awhile. This team isn't just a few quick fixes away.  

I believe  what got us here in the first place was Grigson allowing himself to go in a win now mode when this team should've been in complete rebuild mode in 2012 instead of the Revamped mode they called it. 

1 minute ago, TheGreatManning18Fan said:

Ballard is in the hot seat (lol)!!! Ballard has stated from the beginning that this is going to take awhile. This team isn't just a few quick fixes away.  

I believe  what got us here in the first place was Grigson allowing himself to go in a win now mode when this team should've been in complete rebuild mode in 2012 instead of the Revamped mode they called it. 

What do these numbers mean to you?

11 5
11 5
11 5
8 8
8 8
49 31
2 14

10 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Never said that. 

Just asking people what the numbers mean to them.

Much as the 2011 season, I think the numbers help showcase what the QB position means to football W's & L's... 

If you look at drafts since 18 hoisted the Lombardi trophy it is fairly obvious why the Colts are 2-5 right now. Not sure why you want to put all that history on Ballard.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

That is the problem I have @21isSuperman!

That is my problem with all of this. Everyone keeps saying that Ballard has done a good job. In what world is 2-14 (likely to happen) a good job!

We can say he battled through some tough situations. We can say he took his lumps. We can even say he took this year to learn the job. But what we cannot say is that Chris Ballard has done a good job. We are going 2-14 and people are talking about how our GM has done such a good job. Has everyone gone crazy!

The team going 2-14 isn't an indictment on his abilities as a GM.  He stepped into a bad situation and he has to clean up the mess.  He's done a good job in terms of the personnel moves he's made and the contracts he's given out.  And let's not forget the team of talent evaluators he has assembled.

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2017/05/10/chris-ballard-appears-to-be-building-his-band-full-of-scouting-rock-stars/

(Family un-friendly language in the article above)

Irsay retained Polian for a long time.  He kept Grigson longer than most probably.  I believe Ballard gets at least 5'years and probably as long as Polian tenure.  Make no mistake, this is the guy Irsay trusts with Luck.  Barring a bout of complete ineptitude that is, which is highly doubtful.  This is plenty of time to get to a SB.  I think he/we will.

3 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I have no problem being patient.

I am going to be truthful though, and people who believe this (2017) 2-14 record magically does not appear on Chris Ballard's resume are completely fooling themselves. He cannot escape it either. It's going on his permanent record. 

Who cares if it's on his record?  Jimmy Johnson has a 1-15 record on his resume...does anyone care?

Well, I watched the entire game.  It certainly was Not a Blowout like some predicted.

It was not a Circus, either.

We were  in the game right up until the end.  If not for that "tipped" pass that resulted in a pick 6,  it could very easily have been a different outcome.

The Colts were NOT a Circus today.  They played hard all game long and our rookie QB, who's is also a quality backup just couldn't pull it off.  Say what you will, but this team is not a Circus.  They just aren't good.  They are getting beat badly by good teams (as they should) and are almost winning against comparable teams (which they are doing).  Without our starting QB, we just are what we are...

3 minutes ago, Bleedin Blue said:

The Colts were NOT a Circus today.  They played hard all game long and our rookie QB, who's is also a quality backup just couldn't pull it off.  Say what you will, but this team is not a Circus.  They just aren't good.  They are getting beat badly by good teams (as they should) and are almost winning against comparable teams (which they are doing).  Without our starting QB, we just are what we are...

We lost to a team that will picking in the top 8. 

We get destroyed by good teams, and beat by bad teams. 

We are who they think we are. 

19 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

He will be answering questions real soon, and he better have some damn good answers. This is Rock Bottom buddy! Ballard is not only experiencing this with us, but he is driving the damn ship.

Hard to sail properly with your first mate injured(Luck) and the crew (coaches) isn't helping. They are scooping buckets from the ocean and pouring it in the ship. Ballard is getting no help from anyone, including the owner who seems to be in a coma. 

7 hours ago, Superman said:

The Colts will win another 2-3 games this year, even without Luck. This 2-14 talk is pretty out there. 

Brissett needs to show he can protect the football and not cost the team games. Even though he hasn't been here long, he has thrown 2 picks that lost the game for the Colts. 

9 hours ago, Superman said:

The Colts will win another 2-3 games this year, even without Luck. This 2-14 talk is pretty out there. 

You sure about that? This is the problem with this board right now. We have leaders on this board, filling others heads with nonsense. 

Who are we gonna beat? Without Luck, we would have to pull a huge upset down the stretch. Maybe we pull 1 upset, but even that’s not likely. Maybe Tennessee at home. 

Any smart person would bet the field the rest of the way!

10 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Yup. Wayyyyyyy too early to judge Ballard. It usually takes a few years to see how good or bad a GM is.