Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nagy(KC OC) high on Ballard's list.

IndyScribe

So an article just came out today stating that Nagy, the Chiefs OC, would be high on Ballard's list if new coaches were to be hired. I would take this with a grain of salt because this is the only thing I've heard about this.

One person who knows Colts general manager Chris Ballard says Nagy will be high (if not first) on Ballard's list if Indianapolis makes a change. The two worked together in Kansas City.

I don't know much about him. Is he any good? What coaching job would he take here? HC or OC?

I think the fact that he's never been a play caller would be a concern for me.    That's a unique and important skill set.

It would also suggest that if he got the job he would likely NOT be the play caller for us and wouldn't be his own OC.

So...   who would he bring with him to be his OC?    And whose playbook is he running?

But his name has surfaced so he's worth keeping a close eye on...

25 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Interesting name and probably on a potential list.  But I still think Jim is going to want to hire a former HC and not go down that 1st. time HC path again.  

Hire a recycled unsuccessful former head coach. Hopefully in my book they give someone new a chance.

FWIW:

Not 100% sure how much of this is on Reid and how much is on Nagy. Chiefs also have Kareem Hunt this year. 

In 2016, the Chiefs ranked the following in offense:

20th in yards and yards per game

19th in passing yards and passing yards per game

15th in rushing yards and rushing yards per game

13th in points and points per game

In 2017 (so far), the Chiefs ranked the following in offense:

2nd in yards

3rd in yards per game

4th in passing yards

5th in passing yards per game

4th in rushing yards

5th in rushing yards per game

2nd in points and points per game

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Interesting name and probably on a potential list.  But I still think Jim is going to want to hire a former HC and not go down that 1st. time HC path again.  

I agree. I have felt that Jim will want to get someone who is proven as a head coach.

I suspect that if Jim could have gotten a big name coach then Pagano would have been gone at some point over the last year or two. Unlike previous years I can't imagine Pagano coming back after this season. So you get rid of Pagano but what if the big names don't want to come? Harbaugh might stay at Michigan and Gruden might stay in broadcasting. There might be an unexpected firing (McCarthy?) but the Colts could have to consider a first time head coach.

I think it was Stephen Holder who said this week that Ballard is running the show. Jim is listening to him. If Ballard feels strongly about Nagy, Toub, or some other coach he knows then I think there is a real possibility that the Colts get a first time head coach in January.

1 hour ago, ar7 said:

I agree. I have felt that Jim will want to get someone who is proven as a head coach.

I suspect that if Jim could have gotten a big name coach then Pagano would have been gone at some point over the last year or two. Unlike previous years I can't imagine Pagano coming back after this season. So you get rid of Pagano but what if the big names don't want to come? Harbaugh might stay at Michigan and Gruden might stay in broadcasting. There might be an unexpected firing (McCarthy?) but the Colts could have to consider a first time head coach.

I think it was Stephen Holder who said this week that Ballard is running the show. Jim is listening to him. If Ballard feels strongly about Nagy, Toub, or some other coach he knows then I think there is a real possibility that the Colts get a first time head coach in January.

The possibility of another first time coach certainly exits, I agree.  I just have a feeling Jim is going to go all in on someone like Gruden or Harbaugh.  Our record could be horrible at the end of the year.  I think he will try to rejuvenate the fan base with a big time hire and the return of Luck.  Plan B is a first timer IMO. 

I get being skeptical of a one year OC who's behind Reid but Doug Pederson was in pretty much the same situation and he's turned out pretty good. Just something to think about.

Still think Irsay would hope to go for a bigger name if we move on but who knows. Nagy seems like a solid potential candidate though.

Josh McDaniels is in the perfect seat, as a former head coach, to come into a winnable division and be head coach for the Colts. He said he learnt a LOT of lessons from his former gig. I think he would be the right fit, after looking at everything.

Here is an article all of you should read:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666428-the-redemption-of-josh-mcdaniels-failure-taught-pats-oc-how-to-pick-his-spots

The first time candidates Irsay and Ballard would be fine to consider, IMO, would be Frank Reich (who worked several years as QBs and WRs coach for Colts), and Dave Toub that Ballard is very familiar with.

29 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

I would love it if the Colts hired Josh McDaniels as our HC and he brought Patriots DC Matt Patricia with him.

It’ll probably be another NE defensive coach that’s looking to become a DC...  And I’m totally cool with that. 

9 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

FWIW:

Not 100% sure how much of this is on Reid and how much is on Nagy. Chiefs also have Kareem Hunt this year. 

In 2016, the Chiefs ranked the following in offense:

20th in yards and yards per game

19th in passing yards and passing yards per game

15th in rushing yards and rushing yards per game

13th in points and points per game

In 2017 (so far), the Chiefs ranked the following in offense:

2nd in yards

3rd in yards per game

4th in passing yards

5th in passing yards per game

4th in rushing yards

5th in rushing yards per game

2nd in points and points per game

looks like they had some talent upgrade

2 minutes ago, neug3246 said:

What about bring back Bruce Arians if he is done in Arizona

I would say no.

I like Bruce but not his offense. He wants long passes similar to what Chud likes to do. (not saying they run the exact same system) I'd like to see the Colts next head coach install an offense that emphasizes more quick passing.

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the fact that he's never been a play caller would be a concern for me.    That's a unique and important skill set.

It would also suggest that if he got the job he would likely NOT be the play caller for us and wouldn't be his own OC.

So...   who would he bring with him to be his OC?    And whose playbook is he running?

But his name has surfaced so he's worth keeping a close eye on...

How  do you know he's never been a play caller? Do you think Reid calls every single play, even in practice? If hes their OC he's got the playbook memorized. I'm not even sure why you wrote this post. It says a lot of nothing. 

The only thing not rhetorical or redundant in the post is;

"So...   who would he bring with him to be his OC?    And whose playbook is he running?

2 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Stay away from retreads.  Please.

Bill Belichick, Mike Shanahan and Pete Carroll were retreads

im not saying all these guys deserve another shot, but giving a second look to a guy like McDaniels, who got a HC job too young, would be wise.

22 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Hiring former HC’s is harder than it sounds. Most of them are retired or employed with another team. Currently we have 2 on our staff. The Lions have Schwartz and there’s also McCoy of Denver. It’s not a great pool.

I'd be okay with someone from that Chiefs offensive system. Or the same style as Shanahan/Rick Denison/ Kubiak. Preferably a one cut Zone Run Blocking Scheme similar to what they used with Terrell Davis and John Elway. A scheme that places emphasis on the run and play action passes.

In regards to the O-line I tend to think they will make a major overhaul there. Possibly the only returning starters will be Kelly and Costanzo. Costanzo to rt. tackle. Mewhort should probabally retire his knees are shot. Actually looking forward to next season as this team is unwatchable.

7 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

How  do you know he's never been a play caller? Do you think Reid calls every single play, even in practice? If hes their OC he's got the playbook memorized. I'm not even sure why you wrote this post. It says a lot of nothing. 

The only thing not rhetorical or redundant in the post is;

"So...   who would he bring with him to be his OC?    And whose playbook is he running?

I know he's never been a play caller because the story says so....      Here,  I'll print it out and high light it....

- Matt Nagy, offensive coordinator, Kansas City Chiefs: The former Arena League quarterback has trained under Andy Reid for a decade, rising to co-offensive coordinator last year, and now he has the solo job. People who have worked with Nagy, 39, say he has done tremendous work with Alex Smith and Patrick Mahomes and would have Reid's endorsement. Nagy doesn't call plays, but Doug Pederson didn't do that very much in Kansas City before he landed the Eagles' head coaching job, either (nor did Reid in his pre-Philly days). One person who knows Colts general manager Chris Ballard says Nagy will be high (if not first) on Ballard's list if Indianapolis makes a change. The two worked together in Kansas City.

Now.....     Granted,  I don't thnk I looked him up to see if he had been an OC prior to KC....    so if I'm wrong,  then my bad.....     but I'll go look that up now and try to find out....

EDIT NOTE:    I just looked up Nagy and here is his bio...     I'll be generious and call it limited. He's got very, VERY little coaching at all on his resume'....        A few years of HS,  a few years of lower level NFL stuff (quality control) and he became the QB's coach a few years back.

That's it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Nagy

The story notes that Reid didn't have play calling duties before he took over at Philly...     but he did have a lot of serious coaching in his background.   

4 hours ago, krunk said:

I'd be okay with someone from that Chiefs offensive system. Or the same style as Shanahan/Rick Denison/ Kubiak. Preferably a one cut Zone Run Blocking Scheme similar to what they used with Terrell Davis and John Elway. A scheme that places emphasis on the run and play action passes.

I always wondered why Irsay didn't give mike holmgren a call the last few yrs.  If Jimbo wanted a proven coach, Holmgren would have been preferable to to Gruden or Payton.

18 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

I would love it if the Colts hired Josh McDaniels as our HC and he brought Patriots DC Matt Patricia with him.

Unless his contract is up, Patricia can't make a lateral move.  I guess he could be given the title of assistant head coach, but the chances of that happening are slim and none.

On 10/28/2017 at 2:05 PM, Fisticuffs111 said:

I get being skeptical of a one year OC who's behind Reid but Doug Pederson was in pretty much the same situation and he's turned out pretty good. Just something to think about.

Still think Irsay would hope to go for a bigger name if we move on but who knows. Nagy seems like a solid potential candidate though.

Just to throw water on the fire, wasn’t Pagano a 1 year DC in Baltimore after being a DB coach all those years before coming to the Colts as a “defensive guru”? He has pretty much been like a team getting the first pick in the draft and choosing Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning and having to watch the team crumble in a heap. How far this team has fallen under Pagano. 

On 10/28/2017 at 2:06 PM, chad72 said:

Josh McDaniels is in the perfect seat, as a former head coach, to come into a winnable division and be head coach for the Colts. He said he learnt a LOT of lessons from his former gig. I think he would be the right fit, after looking at everything.

Here is an article all of you should read:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666428-the-redemption-of-josh-mcdaniels-failure-taught-pats-oc-how-to-pick-his-spots

The first time candidates Irsay and Ballard would be fine to consider, IMO, would be Frank Reich (who worked several years as QBs and WRs coach for Colts), and Dave Toub that Ballard is very familiar with.

I would be fine with a Josh McDaniels pick up after his time with New England, a failed HC gig to learn what didn’t work and then back under the tutelage of B.B. again to refine decision making and what works in an organization. 

Im not sure what the big love fest over Taub, a special teams coach, has from CB. I honestly know nothing about him but seems concerning that we turn this dumpster over to a first time head coach who is a special teams manager. Same thing with the OC guy from KC, what is his overall body of work and just because he calls plays correctly, can he manage multiple coaches and develop game plans and manage all 50+ players on the roster as well? Idk and idk what the better options that will be available come January but I know if Luck is badly damaged, we won’t sniff the presence of a Harbaugh visit to the team, not that I think he would leave Michigan without being given full control of the team and decisions on his players. Why should he?

all I know is Pagano is just finishing out the season to gain as high of a draft position as he can give Ballard. He sucks pretty good so I have faith in his ability to lose out.