Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why did Jacoby Brissett finish the game?

JaguarsWoman

On multiple occasions Jacoby Brissett was slow to get up. Scott Tolzein warmed up at one point and talked to Andrew Luck with his helmet on. The entire fourth quarter was garbage time, so it was not going to help anything to keep Brissett in the game. He was slow to get up as if something was hurting, needing some prodding from teammates, after some of the hits he took. I fully expected to see Tolzein finish the game, The Colts had nothing to lose by putting in their backup QB, who is older and was on the team last year. Instead they just treated the fourth quarter like it was an audition for Brissett to unseat  Andrew Luck and the commentators talked about that like it is only a matter of time before Brissett becomes at least a playoff winner, if not Pro Bowl caliber (which probably will never happen). What was Chuck Pagano thinking when he did not switch to Tolzein in the final 15 minutes?

4 minutes ago, JaguarsWoman said:

On multiple occasions Jacoby Brissett was slow to get up. Scott Tolzein warmed up at one point and talked to Andrew Luck with his helmet on. The entire fourth quarter was garbage time, so it was not going to help anything to keep Brissett in the game. He was slow to get up as if something was hurting, needing some prodding from teammates, after some of the hits he took. I fully expected to see Tolzein finish the game, The Colts had nothing to lose by putting in their backup QB, who is older and was on the team last year. Instead they just treated the fourth quarter like it was an audition for Brissett to unseat  Andrew Luck and the commentators talked about that like it is only a matter of time before Brissett becomes at least a playoff winner, if not Pro Bowl caliber (which probably will never happen). What was Chuck Pagano thinking when he did not switch to Tolzein in the final 15 minutes?

You make sense while Pagano & company do not. It was as if the kid was being taught a lesson or being punished. Ten sacks!! "Disconnect" may be the best description of this coach and the team.

According to both Brissett and Chuck there was talks of pulling JB. He didnt want to come out. I fault Chuck here as IF for nothing else but a change of pace I would have sat JB like it or not.  I dont give him a choice at that point even if its just for the sake of having that AUTHORITY.  

I can understand JB's drive to finish a game he started but sometimes you have to accept it when that time comes. Replaced or not JB would still start next week.

3 hours ago, strt182 said:

According to both Brissett and Chuck there was talks of pulling JB. He didnt want to come out.

Makes sense. If I were Brissett, I'd be embarrassed to leave the Colts home field knowing I couldn't engineer a drive worth squat.

4 hours ago, JaguarsWoman said:

If he is learning anything from being a lame human statute it is, "Never play  against Sacksonville again." Only a guy like Russell Wison is  going to avoid what just happened to Brissett 10 times.

Wow. For a team that's 4-3 , just coming off the worst stretch in NFL history , you Jags fans sure are cocky. Don't get your playoff tickets yet , like Jaguar fans know what that is , too soon. 

5 hours ago, JaguarsWoman said:

If he is learning anything from being a lame human statute it is, "Never play  against Sacksonville again." Only a guy like Russell Wison is  going to avoid what just happened to Brissett 10 times.

Seriously? Did you create this thread so that you could say that?

6 hours ago, JaguarsWoman said:

I call it Chuckstification:

Chuck-sti·fi·ca·tion

the action of showing something to be wrong or unreasonable.

7 hours ago, Sumo63 said:

Brissett is a natural leader......only way he was leaving the game was on a stretcher.  Nothing but respect for how this kid handles himself, in game and post game, he's class.  Given the circumstances, we're lucky to have him.

I agree Sumo...If we're going to play a guy to get experience, this is part of the experience.

Unless he wants to come out, is hurt or is not sure, you leave him in there.

A QB gains respect from his teammates in a situation like that.    The coaches did the right thing.

As odd as it may seem, this is part of building a team

7 hours ago, JaguarsWoman said:

wilson is one of the most sacked QBs in the league

3 hours ago, mahagga73 said:

Wow. For a team that's 4-3 , just coming off the worst stretch in NFL history , you Jags fans sure are cocky. Don't get your playoff tickets yet , like Jaguar fans know what that is , too soon. 

Yep, let the Jaguars put 3 games together as a winning streak at any point in the season, to show me they are capable of high level consistent play. Then they can talk playoffs. 

JB is the most overrated QB to ever play here. He is not a starting quality player. He's proven to be a solid back up and nothing more. He can't make the touch throws and the timing routes. He just bullets it in there. If he was your starting QB, you'd be a perennial loser. He's not even that elusive with his legs either. He's just plain average at best.

I'm not going to give him props for us squeaking past two winless teams. He's not consistent enough to put together long scoring drives that eats clock and lets our defense rest. He hasn't done anything in any second half this whole year. He's the opposite of clutch. Starts strong and slowly fades away as the opposing defense figures out his tendencies. No wonder our pass defense is trash, they have a false sense of being decent playing him in practice every week. Most of the sacks yesterday were him not getting rid of the ball. We won't win another game with him starting so this season is toast. 

10 minutes ago, BobbyMorris94 said:

JB is the most overrated QB to ever play here. He is not a starting quality player. He's proven to be a solid back up and nothing more. He can't make the touch throws and the timing routes. He just bullets it in there. If he was your starting QB, you'd be a perennial loser. He's not even that elusive with his legs either. He's just plain average at best.

I'm not going to give him props for us squeaking past two winless teams. He's not consistent enough to put together long scoring drives that eats clock and lets our defense rest. He hasn't done anything in any second half this whole year. He's the opposite of clutch. Starts strong and slowly fades away as the opposing defense figures out his tendencies. No wonder our pass defense is trash, they have a false sense of being decent playing him in practice every week. Most of the sacks yesterday were him not getting rid of the ball. We won't win another game with him starting so this season is toast. 

How can a back up quarterback be "overrated?" :facepalm:

52 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

A QB gains respect from his teammates in a situation like that.    The coaches did the right thing.

Agree. This is what builds an offensive units chemistry/trust with each other. Much respect to JB! Kids a baller for sure, and I for one am looking forward to his hopeful progression. 

23 minutes ago, BobbyMorris94 said:

I think you're being a bit extreme in your comments but your overall point is valid.  JB is pretty accurate, and that goes a long way in the NFL, but he lacks touch, not to mention he has a fairly long release.

And while he may be straight line fast, he seems to not be very quick footed, a long strider who doesn't seem to be very elusive.  Simply moving quickly in the pocket sideways can avoid a rush.  He doesn't seem to have that knack or the agility.

I wouldn't say all ten sacks were the result of him holding the ball too long, but he does seem to do that also. 

4 hours ago, mahagga73 said:

Where did you get "the worst stretch in NFL history" from? The Jaguars won three games last year.

Jaguars fans are not cocky at all. Most of them want a new QB. Titans (aka Titans) fans are the cocky ones. Nobody is getting playoff tickets too soon; they all know a division title is necessary to get in and that might not happen.

3 hours ago, Nadine said:

Seriously? Did you create this thread so that you could say that?

I started this thread to ask an honest question based on my observations. What I meant by that comment was to avoid sacks by the Jaguars, opposing QBs need to be escape artists under pressure.

1 minute ago, JaguarsWoman said:

Where did you get "the worst stretch in NFL history" from? The Jaguars won three games last year.

Jaguars fans are not cocky at all. Most of them want a new QB. Titans (aka Titans) fans are the cocky ones. Nobody is getting playoff tickets too soon; they all know a division title is necessary to get in and that might not happen.

I started this thread to ask an honest question based on my observations. What I meant by that comment was to avoid sacks by the Jaguars, opposing QBs need to be escape artists under pressure.

you just confirmed my impression. Don't create threads to gloat over a win.  As a fan of the opponent, it's trolling

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I agree Sumo...If we're going to play a guy to get experience, this is part of the experience.

Unless he wants to come out, is hurt or is not sure, you leave him in there.

Actually if I am the Colts HC...I walk him right in front of the lineman and then tell him I'm pulling him. That I'm not going to be responsible for getting my starting qb hurt. That way JB can save face and protest in front of his lineman and they get the picture that they are not getting the job done. Then I say "Sorry Scott...your in!"...well I kid about the last part but that is a way you make a statement to your lineman without calling them out in the media. Jacoby needs game action but he needs to be healthy first and foremost. We should have been running the ball and short safe passes the 4th quarter anyways...no reason to be back there with 7 step drops etc.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I think you're being a bit extreme in your comments but your overall point is valid.  JB is pretty accurate, and that goes a long way in the NFL, but he lacks touch, not to mention he has a fairly long release.

And while he may be straight line fast, he seems to not be very quick footed, a long strider who doesn't seem to be very elusive.  Simply moving quickly in the pocket sideways can avoid a rush.  He doesn't seem to have that knack or the agility.

I wouldn't say all ten sacks were the result of him holding the ball too long, but he does seem to do that also. 

That was my impression too. I would want a QB who can run for his life when he needs to. Injuries on the OL obviously did not help Brissett. However, if Brissett could run sideways, he could compensate for those injuries.

I also watched the Seahawks and Titans games. It was clear Brissett needs time to develop chemistry with the starters and backups. Unfortunately for him and the Colts, that will require risking injury and losing games in the process.

25 minutes ago, JaguarsWoman said:

Thank you for posting. I like having fans of other teams here to get their perspective of their team. You have a great defense over there....offense is still a work in progress but I admire where the team is headed with Tom Coughlin in charge.

That said if you want to make friends or you want a productive conversation you probably need to structure comments in a different manner or your just going to start a verbal spat. You started off with a legitimate question...and thank you for that....but the special sauce you decided to put on your burger was unnecessary fyi.

The 7-steps drops were ridiculous. It should have been obvious to the coaches JB needed to get the ball out quickly - as in less than three seconds, like Josh McCown did against the Jaguars. Seven step drops are an easy way to let the defense sack you 10 times.

But why run the ball when you are trailing by 20 points?

18 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Well, if we want to have a higher draft pick than Jacksonville, we have to out-Jacksonville Jacksonville...

LOL The season is not halfway over yet. t is way too early to be thinking about draft picks.

You will have a higher draft pick than Jacksonville by keeping Andrew Luck out.

40 minutes ago, JaguarsWoman said:

The 7-steps drops were ridiculous. It should have been obvious to the coaches JB needed to get the ball out quickly - as in less than three seconds, like Josh McCown did against the Jaguars. Seven step drops are an easy way to let the defense sack you 10 times.

But why run the ball when you are trailing by 20 points?

Because if you just drop back 40 times your defense is going to sit back in coverage and your pass rush is going to T off on Jacoby even worse. You have to "try" to keep a defense honest or they will just drop 7 and 8 back into coverage and you can't even throw the ball. Usually when teams do that you have more blockers then defenders and you can get 5-6 easy yards maybe more to set up better down and distances for passing and keeping ahead of the sticks. As it was we couldn't even run the ball against your front. You have a great DL. Jackson and Campbell especially to go with Fowler and company on the outside.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Because if you just drop back 40 times your defense is going to sit back in coverage and your pass rush is going to T off on Jacoby even worse. You have to "try" to keep a defense honest or they will just drop 7 and 8 back into coverage and you can't even throw the ball. Usually when teams do that you have more blockers then defenders and you can get 5-6 easy yards maybe more to set up better down and distances for passing and keeping ahead of the sticks. As it was we couldn't even run the ball against your front. You have a great DL. Jackson and Campbell especially to go with Fowler and company on the outside.

I did not mean Chuck Pagano should have abandoned the run game. That would have been *ic. Jacksonville's D is terrible against the run (which their fans believe is a trade-off for better pass defense). I just think when you trail by 20 points you need to speed up drives and get more scoring opportunities.

What is your opinion about Marlon Mack so far? Will he get more snaps than Frank Gore this season?

I'm old school. I despise the other 31 teams- at least when it comes to them playing the Colts. 

But lets be honest, the Jags have been the second worst franchise in pro sports for my adult life.

It'll be embarrassing to everyone the Jags beat, so I'll casually pull for them to win the AFCS..

Blake Bortles is bad enough that he might get in the way of that though.