Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why did Jacoby Brissett finish the game?

JaguarsWoman

2 minutes ago, JaguarsWoman said:

I did not mean Chuck Pagano should have abandoned the run game. That would have been *ic. Jacksonville's D is terrible against the run (which their fans believe is a trade-off for better pass defense). I just think when you trail by 20 points you need to speed up drives and get more scoring opportunities.

What is your opinion about Marlon Mack so far? Will he get more snaps than Frank Gore this season?

Why?? Speed up the 3 and outs? No we needed to continue to run the ball and as you said it wasn't totally a failure. If we get a score there in the 3rd quarter early then we forced a turnover..had we been able to score again suddenly its a ball game....but at some point late 3rd early 4th we were down 4 scores and it became lets run the clock and get out of here without anyone getting hurt. I actually think we should have ran more. But I've got no problem running the ball in the 3rd...we gave up on it too soon. Problem was we weren't converting ANY 3rd downs...it was simply a dumpster fire from beginning to end (play calling included) but no we didn't need to speed up the drives..we need to convert first and foremost and also rest our defense.

No. He isn't durable enough. I think by the end of the year they will be getting equal snaps...but if he can't catch the ball and he definitely can't pass protect...there is only one thing he can do on the field and defenses will key on that. He is a rookie and I like him...but simply as a change of pace. He is electric for sure...and makes that first guy miss most of the time. He just needs reps to get better and stronger but Frank is going to continue to get most of the carries.

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'm old school. I despise the other 31 teams- at least when it comes to them playing the Colts. 

But lets be honest, the Jags have been the second worst franchise in pro sports for my adult life.

It'll be embarrassing to everyone the Jags beat, so I'll casually pull for them to win the AFCS..

Blake Bortles is bad enough that he might get in the way of that though.

Chicago survived Rex Grossman...who knows..lightning could strike!

7 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I agree Sumo...If we're going to play a guy to get experience, this is part of the experience.

Unless he wants to come out, is hurt or is not sure, you leave him in there.

A QB gains respect from his teammates in a situation like that.    The coaches did the right thing.

As odd as it may seem, this is part of building a team

You are right but only up to a certain point. I think that the Colts cannot afford to have Brissett get injured, and the Coach should have pulled him out when it became obvious that Brissett was getting sacked too much and the game was lost. As bad as our season has been so far, it would be even worse if Brissett were to end up on the Injured Reserve list ! The team needed to be protected from the valiant but overly prideful desires of a quarterback who is too inexperienced to know the difference. This was a failure in proper leadership on the part of the coaching staff !

10 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I agree Sumo...If we're going to play a guy to get experience, this is part of the experience.

Unless he wants to come out, is hurt or is not sure, you leave him in there.

A QB gains respect from his teammates in a situation like that.    The coaches did the right thing.

As odd as it may seem, this is part of building a team

i concur if he gets hurt we arent going anywhere anyway

2 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

We have THAT goin for us.

which,at least, is something.

I mean the dude had almost 300 yards passing by halftime. And Bortles is a bottom 10 QB at best. That's amazing and sad at the same time.

Then again we made Osweiler look good twice last year, and he was arguably the worst QB in the NFL. Monachinos defenses have a habit of making horrible QBs look like Montana against us.

1 hour ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i concur if he gets hurt we aren't going anywhere anyway.

You guys already were not going anywhere as AFC South bottom feeders, but the Rams game made it obvious losing is guaranteed with Scott Tolzein at QB. The thing is you would not have lost anything with Tolzein by the fourth quarter with a 20-0 deficit.

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

Should've been pulled late in the 3rd quarter. We are lucky he didn't get a season ending injury standing back there. He was taking a beating even worse than Luck usually does 

I wonder how many of those sacks would have been avoided if Andrew Luck was taking the snaps.

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

We are probably the only team that makes him look like a legitimate NFL QB. 

The Ravens would have allowed Blake Bortles to throw for over 300 yards if he was not rested in garbage time. Aren't they supposed to have a good defense? Oh wait . . . their defense is terrible this season. Bad defenses make Bortles look better than he is.

Cause we wanted to see if he could survive. Almost like the Colts meet the Hunger Games sort of mentality in the arena, the fight till you die sort of thing.

We do it with all our QBs.

The last surviving QB without a major injury wins.

1 hour ago, JaguarsWoman said:

You guys already were not going anywhere as AFC South bottom feeders, but the Rams game made it obvious losing is guaranteed with Scott Tolzein at QB. The thing is you would not have lost anything with Tolzein by the fourth quarter with a 20-0 deficit.

I wonder how many of those sacks would have been avoided if Andrew Luck was taking the snaps.

The Ravens would have allowed Blake Bortles to throw for over 300 yards if he was not rested in garbage time. Aren't they supposed to have a good defense? Oh wait . . . their defense is terrible this season. Bad defenses make Bortles look better than he is.

yes we are going for the #1 draft pick

22 hours ago, JaguarsWoman said:

Dgambill, whose fault is it that the Colts suck on third downs?

Just fyi...if you want me to get an alert use the @ in front of my name.

Third down is a combination...basically it comes down to play calling and execution. The real fault is too many 3rd and longs....so not getting yardage on 1st and 2nd down and getting into manageable down and distance. Overall I think it is play calling...but too many dropped passes, holding the ball too long and taking sacks, and not running the ball effectively enough is my opinion. We need more 3rd and 2s and not so many 3rd and 8s. Jacoby has done an admirable job but he has a rocket arm but not exactly accurate...and sometimes he needs to check down sooner and just get some positive yards instead of waiting on our slow developing plays to come open. It isn't just one thing....but when we are in 3rd and long....we can't block well enough to protect Jacoby and we just don't have the concepts it appears to keep the chains moving effectively.

15 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I mean the dude had almost 300 yards passing by halftime. And Bortles is a bottom 10 QB at best. That's amazing and sad at the same time.

Then again we made Osweiler look good twice last year, and he was arguably the worst QB in the NFL. Monachinos defenses have a habit of making horrible QBs look like Montana against us.

I know we all hated Manusky but I don't think he was a bad DC...we just didn't have the players to execute almost any defense effectively at the time. Now I think we have better players but we still aren't executing....hmm are we more talented or are we just seeing it doesn't matter who the DC is we can't overcome poor talent? I look at Manusky last night and with several starters on defense out it isn't the same defense we saw when they hammered the Raiders and others early in the season. Not sure....would Monachino be better with more talent?? Never ending question...and the one that has led us here with Pagano as our coach as well. Is he doing the best we can expect with the hand he has been dealt or is there room for improvement?

14 hours ago, JaguarsWoman said:

Oh. I agree Tolzien should have been in for the 4th. It would have sent a signal to your lineman without having to have someone like TY say it publically that they aren't protecting well enough and you don't want your starting qb hurt. Why Pagano didn't do it.....honestly I think he just wanted to avoid a shut out....its about saving face. That was what it looked like to me. Now I know some people say oh Jacoby needs all the reps he can get and well you want to establish something positive moving forward for next week....to me that's nonsense. Those were not quality reps for him and I refuse to believe this team can carry anything over from half to half much less week to week.

Luck would have taken probably 3 or 4. As long as he holds it he still gets rid of the ball much faster and knows where he wants to go with it. He also will throw the ball away..something Brissett won't do until he is in the grasp. I do think Luck probably would have scored more points but also considering how good that defense was eating us up he likely throws a pick or turns it over...he always tries to make something out of nothing...at least Jacoby has good ball security.

Blake Bortles is who he is. He is not very good overall. He has some talent and in the right circumstances on the right day not unlike any other nfl qb he can light a team up. That said he will also put up a big dud too...and more often than not he just isn't a difference maker you would want as your qb. Just my opinion...Ravens didn't travel well to England....the London games and typically Thursday night games RARELY see both teams play well....for whatever reason somebody just doesn't adjust well. You guys have been over there the most and you adjusted. You have a good team....but your qb is keeping you from being a great team. To me you are essentially the 14-16 Texans. Once you find that leader you will start winning this division.

I was very disappointed to learn that Brissett played the entire game.   I left my sports bar at the end of three quarters when I saw Tolzein warming up to go in.

I absolutely don't care that Brissett stayed in because he wanted to.    In situations like that you expect the HC to be the grown-up and do the wise thing, which was to pull JB for his own good.

AND....   you pull Brissett for the good of the team!   What if he had gotten hurt in the fourth quarter of a blowout where the Colts O-line had clearly denstrated that they couldn't protect their QB? 

You'd risk Brissett's future...   for what?!?

A terrible decision by Chuck.   He should have pulled the kid.    That's his job and he failed big time!

On 10/23/2017 at 11:55 AM, The Fish said:

I'm old school. I despise the other 31 teams- at least when it comes to them playing the Colts. 

But lets be honest, the Jags have been the second worst franchise in pro sports for my adult life.

It'll be embarrassing to everyone the Jags beat, so I'll casually pull for them to win the AFCS..

I don't know , they have had several good years under Brunell and with MJD. 

7 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:
On 10/23/2017 at 12:55 PM, The Fish said:

I don't know , they have had several good years under Brunell and with MJD. 

In the past decade the worst team is the St. Louis Rams, Browns, and then Jags.  Not accounting for this year.

The Rams won a SB in St. Louis and played in two with an almost dynasty.

The Browns are worse than the Jags. The Jags are the second worst franchise in pro sports. That used to be the Clippers, but they had a run of 5 years of kind of being good- that's way out of the Browns and Jags league. 

That's my math.

On 10/26/2017 at 9:47 AM, The Fish said:

The Rams won a SB in St. Louis and played in two with an almost dynasty.

The Browns are worse than the Jags. The Jags are the second worst franchise in pro sports. That used to be the Clippers, but they had a run of 5 years of kind of being good- that's way out of the Browns and Jags league. 

That's my math.

There's can't be a list of worst franchises without the Sacramento Kings in it.  They have done literally nothing since they moved there.  The Clippers have actually been decent for awhile. But this is a football thread . 

15 hours ago, mahagga73 said:

There's can't be a list of worst franchises without the Sacramento Kings in it.  They have done literally nothing since they moved there.  The Clippers have actually been decent for awhile. But this is a football thread . 

Right, it is a football thread, by extending it out to the 4 major sports, it reinforces the point of how historically bad the Jags (and Browns) have been...

And the Kings had as much of a hey-day (maybe more, they actually got robbed out of a finals appearance, the Clippers never got as far as the early 00's Kings.) as the Clippers. 

On 10/23/2017 at 8:11 PM, RockThatBlue said:

Should've been pulled late in the 3rd quarter. We are lucky he didn't get a season ending injury standing back there. He was taking a beating even worse than Luck usually does 

He was shell shocked.  I think that’s part of why he was holding the ball so Long.  They should have yanked him over that.  When it became clear he was banged up they defenanitly should have gotten him out of there.