Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This team's scheme (or lack thereof)

BProland85

This team's scheme both offensively and defensively, is completely embarrassing. This is a huge part of the reason why this team completely sucks right now. We talk about the scheme and system the Patriots have, and how players just seem to perform well there when they don't perform elsewhere.

Well Indy is the complete opposite of that. They lack any kind of defined scheme or planning to put players in the best scenario to succeed. Why else do free agents continue to bust once they come here? 

Here's to hoping a new coaching staff changes all of this come next year. 

I agree that the scheme has not looked great by any means so far.  Why do you have Tolzein throwing at the top CB most of the time.  Especially outs on the left side.  The longest throw for him to go sideline and he isn'tt hat great at it already and that is what we do?

Defensively Monachino to me is not ready and not sure who is making the call but why would you play Green that much more than Wilson.  Let Wilson learn over Green since you spent a #2 on him.  Plus Wilson has played there his whole career...it drives me crazy these decisions they make.  Purely terrible game planning and adjustments...what adjustments...wow!

We truly haven't had good schemes since the Manning days. 2012 was just ad lib and bombs away on offense. I am unclear what the schemes have been on defense but regardless of who we put in as OC or DC, regardless of what personnel we put on the field, the outcomes and look are often the same product. When Pep left and the next guy was elevated, we thought we had finally gotten what we needed, what has Chud produced that Pep didn't? What has Monnachino shown in creativity that the last guy didn't? We shuffle guys in and out on the oline only to watch the same problems eventually creep in and we all felt that the new Oline coach was 10 times better than the last yet we still see the same issues each and very week regardless of what personnel we have in. Are you telling me that this team hasn't been able to hit on 1 really talented player this staff can coach up? Even in the Grigson era, all those picks he had couldn't produce anything special besides Luck? This whole team is a wreck from the assistants up to the HC and now, I am unclear if Ballard is anything special with some of the decisions he has made or allowed Pagano to make on his own. I am trying to give the benefit to Ballard that he has given much of the decision making over to Pagano in order to either succeed or be given complete reason why he will be fired without positive results. The whole Tolzein over Morris decision is in itself one of the worst decisions made under the GM direction of Ballard and just wondering who had the final say in making that choice of who to keep vs who to send packing. The whole TJ Green playing over the 2nd round pick kid will certainly be the next discussion if they stick with Green or allow Wilson to take his lumps early on and show what he has. You can always spot play Green as needed but lets see how this unfolds.

Football is by no means rocket science. It is largely known what works vs what doesn't. 

The decisions in game and out, made by the colts coaching staff completely mind boggles me. How can you go out and compete against a team when you're constantly fighting yourself the entire game? Like I said before, it's like we took the last two seasons, and mashed them into one game that we all had the privilege of watching this past Sunday. I was off work at 4 Sunday and rushed home to watch what I would describe as the worst team I have ever seen on turf. 

23 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

This whole team is a wreck from the assistants up to the HC and now, I am unclear if Ballard is anything special with some of the decisions he has made or allowed Pagano to make on his own. I am trying to give the benefit to Ballard that he has given much of the decision making over to Pagano in order to either succeed or be given complete reason why he will be fired without positive results. The whole Tolzein over Morris decision is in itself one of the worst decisions made under the GM direction of Ballard and just wondering who had the final say in making that choice of who to keep vs who to send packing. 

I think Ballard is standing back and letting Pagano work. For better or for worse, he is basically saying "Chuck, this season the team is yours to command, I will not be hovering over you and micro-managing. It's all on you." 

This is Pagano's prove it year to earn the right to stay as a head coach. So far, he is showing Ballard that he needs to be replaced.

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I think Ballard is standing back and letting Pagano work. For better or for worse, he is basically saying "Chuck, this season the team is yours to command, I will not be hovering over you and micro-managing. It's all on you." 

This is Pagano's prove it year to earn the right to stay as a head coach. So far, he is showing Ballard that he needs to be replaced.

my thoughts exactly

27 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

As I've said before, IMO, Grigson meddled because he felt like he had to.  Pagano was making poor on field game decisions his first year without Arians, and was probably not the best evaluator of talent.  It was probably the right thing for Grigson to do but he got killed for it.

23 minutes ago, DougDew said:

As I've said before, IMO, Grigson meddled because he felt like he had to.  Pagano was making poor on field game decisions his first year without Arians, and was probably not the best evaluator of talent.  It was probably the right thing for Grigson to do but he got killed for it.

Another terrible ridiculous thread and this might be the worst post in the thread.  

Filled with OPNIONS and ZERO FACTS. Complete nonsense.

Pagano struggling without Arians as he posted the same 11-5 records the next two years and won in the playoffs WITHOUT Arians.

Your hate for Pagano is so palpable that you have to make Grigson a noble character who meddled "because he had to."    Again more opinion supported by zero facts.

But no worries Doug... as bad as this post is it's not even you worst of the last two days!   That would be your silly anti-media rant that was filled with enough opinionated nonsense to crash the internet.

Train wrecks -- both of them.

Goodness gracious...      :facepalm:

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Another terrible ridiculous thread and this might be the worst post in the thread.  

Pagano struggling without Arians as he posted the same 11-5 records the next two years and won in the playoffs WITHOUT Arians.

Your hate for Pagano is so palpable that you have to make Grigson a noble character who meddled "because he had to."    Again more opinion supported by zero facts.

But no worries Doug... as bad as this post is it's not even you worst of the last two days!   That would be your silly anti-media rant that was filled with enough opinionated nonsense to crash the internet.

So what is your opinion bc pagano does suck at his job that's a fact lol

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well, all you've done is establish that you are a poor judge of posts.

Of course its an opinion.  Who on this forum has actual facts about meddling?  Certainly the media never established that there were any facts about meddling...but they just went with it...as they do most things.

Since nobody has facts, the whole forum is speculation formed by reasoned logic.  

Pagano went 11-5 during the years Grigson was accused of meddling.  So what facts are present that Pagano could've gone 11-5 without his meddling?  Or would that just be an opinion?

2 hours ago, MFT5 said:

So what is your opinion bc pagano does suck at his job that's a fact lol

No.     That's an opinion.    LOL.

The facts say he's pretty good at his job.    But his stats as a HC do NOT say he sucks at his job.

And one terrible game,  even two (we'll lose this weekend)  doesn't change that.

When Pagano is given some talent,  he does well.     Those are the facts.

9 hours ago, Jdubu said:

We truly haven't had good schemes since the Manning days. 2012 was just ad lib and bombs away on offense.

The whole TJ Green playing over the 2nd round pick kid will certainly be the next discussion if they stick with Green or allow Wilson to take his lumps early on and show what he has. You can always spot play Green as needed but lets see how this unfolds.

It's strange to say, but Pep had some good stuff going early in 2014. I don't know why he didn't stick with the Eagles gameplan. He even abandoned the gameplan during the game. He seemed to be unable to forge an identity for his unit, and get consistent production out of them.

As for the CB issue, Green isn't the problem. He's going to have some bad plays, but we should judge him fairly, something a lot of people are unable to do. Wilson absolutely should play more, but Melvin is the one that should be on the bench. We know for a fact he can't play corner.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I haven't even taken the time to read the post you are responding to, and this post has made my evening

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

The facts say he's pretty good at his job.    But his stats as a HC do NOT say he sucks at his job.

And one terrible game,  even two (we'll lose this weekend)  doesn't change that.

you're delusional. We've been blownout on multiple occasions. Look beyond numbers and watch the teams progress over the last 6 years & you'll see we've regressed. but you're a 'newcoltsfan' so I dnt expect yu to knw anything about this team or past success to see what a well run team looks like.

How yu can look at this man & have any confidence is ridiculous.

Thanfully this is his last year. facts lol

6 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

you're delusional. We've been blownout on multiple occasions. Look beyond numbers and watch the teams progress over the last 6 years & you'll see we've regressed. but you're a 'newcoltsfan' so I dnt expect yu to knw anything about this team or past success to see what a well run team looks like.

How yu can look at this man & have any confidence is ridiculous.

Thanfully this is his last year. facts lol

I don't have to look at past success.     I know this team's record better than some fans here who have been Colts fans for more than 20 years.    

Being a "new Colts fan" doesn't make me an uninformed fan.    I know what the Colts have done under Pagano,  apparently a lot better than you do.

The facts support Pagano.      And there are ZERO FACTS that say he sucks at his job.     You're entitled to your opinion,   but you have no facts to back them up.     But the way,  I suspect your view is in the majority around here and mine is in the minority.    And I'm fine with that.     The majority around here is often wrong.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Did you just say Pagano and his stats back up the fact that he does NOT suck? Or Pagano is pretty good at his his job? You will certainly have difficulty finding many to back your cause here on this one. Pagano is and has been terrible as a head coach, great person but god awful as an NFL coach. 

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't have to look at past success.     I know this team's record better than some fans here who have been Colts fans for more than 20 years.    

Being a "new Colts fan" doesn't make me an uninformed fan.    I know what the Colts have done under Pagano,  apparently a lot better than you do.

The facts support Pagano.      And there are ZERO FACTS that say he sucks at his job.     You're entitled to your opinion,   but you have no facts to back them up.     But the way,  I suspect your view is in the majority around here and mine is in the minority.    And I'm fine with that.     The majority around here is often wrong.

Since you know so much about this team, apparently more than the "old" fans, how does Pagano stack up against the teams with winning records? Pagano is one of the least talented HC in the league right now and how he talked his way into the 2nd contract, I will never understand, however, I would lay a lot of money down that Pagano has played his last year as a HC in the NFL and certainly his last season as a Colts coach.

And this isn't a majority of this forum, this is a majority across the country and probably any other country who watches NFL

1 hour ago, Superman said:

It's strange to say, but Pep had some good stuff going early in 2014. I don't know why he didn't stick with the Eagles gameplan. He even abandoned the gameplan during the game. He seemed to be unable to forge an identity for his unit, and get consistent production out of them.

As for the CB issue, Green isn't the problem. He's going to have some bad plays, but we should judge him fairly, something a lot of people are unable to do. Wilson absolutely should play more, but Melvin is the one that should be on the bench. We know for a fact he can't play corner.

I would like to see more of Wilson for certain. Don't want to break his spirit if he is bad bad, but I would like to see him more. I liked Melvin to a degree last season and had higher hopes for him this season but.... Green, lets just hope something good happens with this athlete, he has all that you would want from a CB except experience and natural tracking ability. Hope it clicks with him. 

15 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Did you just say Pagano and his stats back up the fact that he does NOT suck? Or Pagano is pretty good at his his job? You will certainly have difficulty finding many to back your cause here on this one. Pagano is and has been terrible as a head coach, great person but god awful as an NFL coach. 

There are simply ZERO facts that suypport the idea that he is a terrible coach.

He may no longer be the right coach,  but he's not a terrible coach.

And his record says so.

The fact that this is not a very popular view here doesn't phase me at all.     I'm often the holder of unpopular opinions.   

I've said for two years now that Pagano is not a top-third coach,  but he's not a bottom-third coach either.    He's somewhere in the middle third of the NFL ranks.

People who think he's a "god awful" coach or he "sucks" or he's "the worst coach in the NFL" all terms I've seen in the last 48 hours,  simply don't know or understand football.      They know they're upset and that their team is struggling and they want someone to blåme.     Fine,  blame the coach.      But the facts are on his side,   not on the side of outraged fans....

Mob mentality is rarely right in anything,  especially sports....

13 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Since you know so much about this team, apparently more than the "old" fans, how does Pagano stack up against the teams with winning records? Pagano is one of the least talented HC in the league right now and how he talked his way into the 2nd contract, I will never understand, however, I would lay a lot of money down that Pagano has played his last year as a HC in the NFL and certainly his last season as a Colts coach.

And this isn't a majority of this forum, this is a majority across the country and probably any other country who watches NFL

I'm basically OK with your first paragraph.      I know Pagano is roughly 500 against good teams and over 500 against lesser teams.

Your last sentence is 100% complete and total OPINION with no facts to support it.

51 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I take exception to your ZERO. Pagano is a poor game day tactician. Supporting evidence: New England fake punt, the hurry up to take away Mack's TD, poor clock management v Detroit, etc. The NE debacle is an all time blooper!!

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And his record says so.

The fact that this is not a very popular view here doesn't phase me at all.     I'm often the holder of unpopular opinions.   

I've said for two years now that Pagano is not a top-third coach,  but he's not a bottom-third coach either.    He's somewhere in the middle third of the NFL ranks.

People who think he's a "god awful" coach or he "sucks" or he's "the worst coach in the NFL" all terms I've seen in the last 48 hours,  simply don't know or understand football.      They know they're upset and that their team is struggling and they want someone to blåme.     Fine,  blame the coach.      But the facts are on his side,   not on the side of outraged fans....

I will leave the argument of how good or bad Pagano is but Pagano will be judged on decisions made in game, game planning and overall progress of his team. None of these items get a check mark on the list. Remember, he was supposed to be the defensive guru coming in, the DB whisperer. What was he saying to these kids? Suck and do it with sucking style? 

So knock yourself out, defend the guy until he is on the next team as some low level assistant somewhere but he will never see a HC job again. I will take everyone of the coaches in the league right now over Pagano. 

Enjoy your lonely party dude.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm basically OK with your first paragraph.      I know Pagano is roughly 500 against good teams and over 500 against lesser teams.

Your last sentence is 100% complete and total OPINION with no facts to support it.

great coaching of beating low level teams but not winning teams, that's not the definition of good coaching. Read the papers and watch the sports shows, you will find plenty of FACT

4 minutes ago, GoBlue12 said:

I take exception to your ZERO. Pagano is a poor game day tactician. Supporting evidence: New England fake punt, the hurry up to take away Mack's TD, poor clock management v Detroit, etc. The NE debacle is an all time blooper!!

The list is too long to point out something NCF doesn't want to acknowledge or is just being argumentative for whatever reason. IDk

12 minutes ago, GoBlue12 said:

Those are facts.     But they all don't add up to being the worst coach in the NFL,  or sucks at his job,  or all the other comments made in the last 48 hours.

I'm well aware that Pags is going to lose his job.     Sometimes a franchise just has to make a change and get new blood and a new voice to lead.    

But that doesn't make Pagano a bad coach.     He's average and average is not good enough for the Colts.     I don't see why that's a view that more people can't support?

I will leave the argument of how good or bad Pagano is but Pagano will be judged on decisions made in game, game planning and overall progress of his team. None of these items get a check mark on the list. Remember, he was supposed to be the defensive guru coming in, the DB whisperer. What was he saying to these kids? Suck and do it with sucking style? 

So knock yourself out, defend the guy until he is on the next team as some low level assistant somewhere but he will never see a HC job again. I will take everyone of the coaches in the league right now over Pagano. 

Enjoy your lonely party dude.

I've said it on numerous posts in the past two years and I just wrote it on another post to someone else, but I'll say it again here...

This is Pagano's last year with the Colts.    I know he's going to lose his job barring a miracle which no one is expecting.

I see Pagano as an average coach and I don't think Luck and the Colts can win enough with an average coach.    So, I just made an argument for Pagano to lose his job, and I DIDN'T have to say he sucks, or he's the worst.     I made an easy compelling argument by calling Pagano.........    Average.

I've already made a better, more logical, more fact based argument than you and others have and we both end up with a new head coach.

great coaching of beating low level teams but not winning teams, that's not the definition of good coaching. Read the papers and watch the sports shows, you will find plenty of FACT

I was a member of the media for 30 years.    I watch more TV than you ever will, and I read far more than you ever will. I know what the media thinks of Pagano.    I also know whose opinions to value and whose not to.

And in my last post,  I just gave a good solid reasonable argument for Pagano to lose his job.    So, give it a rest....

I thought this website and forum was about people opinions. And I thought it was a safe place to be able to share our Colts thoughts (no matter how ridiculous) without being ridiculed for it. Aren't we supposed to be brethren? All the backlash against each other for opinions is crazy. And half the time I'm being over sarcastic about things in good fun and get so much backlash about negativity. I'm sorry everybody.  I might as well have my football conversations with my wife..

Now about the teams scheme.. do we have one? Most games they just look lost. And Luck and TY complete a few 20+ yard plays a game. We run the ball for about 2 inches. Adam V kicks a FG. And a DB get's hurt. 

5 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I thought this website and forum was about people opinions. And I thought it was a safe place to be able to share our Colts thoughts (no matter how ridiculous) without being ridiculed for it. Aren't we supposed to be brethren? All the backlash against each other for opinions is crazy. And half the time I'm being over sarcastic about things in good fun and get so much backlash about negativity. I'm sorry everybody.  I might as well have my football conversations with my wife..

Now about the teams scheme.. do we have one? Most games they just look lost. And Luck and TY complete a few 20+ yard plays a game. We run the ball for about 2 inches. Adam V kicks a FG. And a DB get's hurt. 

This teams scheme reminds me of the first play I used to have on franchise football on cbssports. It would say basic run play: description- Two yards and a cloud of dust. Basically sums up our run game. We'll throw a bunch of deep passes as well, so much different from my playbook with screens, slants, trick plays, and a solid use of the west coast offense.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I've said it on numerous posts in the past two years and I just wrote it on another post to someone else, but I'll say it again here...

This is Pagano's last year with the Colts.    I know he's going to lose his job barring a miracle which no one is expecting.

I see Pagano as an average coach and I don't think Luck and the Colts can win enough with an average coach.    So, I just made an argument for Pagano to lose his job, and I DIDN'T have to say he sucks, or he's the worst.     I made an easy compelling argument by calling Pagano.........    Average.

I've already made a better, more logical, more fact based argument than you and others have and we both end up with a new head coach.

This is exactly how I feel about him. I don't see Chuck as the worst coach in the league, far from it. And I think that eventually, if given time and more experience he can improve substantially. But I don't think he will be afforded that time here in Indy. 

I'm still, as I have posted earlier, really pulling for him to turn things around. I want him to be successful. Give an average coach enough talent, and they will be able to do great things, Ballard can do that if given enough time. But time is most likely against us.  

Good post NCF

Re: schemes: You can try to align the players to the scheme you'd like to play, or you can align the scheme to the best use of the player's talents you have. It seems Pagano is trying the first option and there is a mismatch - the players can't implement the scheme (the Xs and Os) he wants to play. This is not the same thing as a strategy - which changes from game to game and quarter to quarter - which is obviously missing in the Colts. In my world, this is called the "round peg in square hole problem".

It's becoming really hard to watch, let alone enjoy watching.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And his record says so.

He was the worst NFL coach last week bar none. 

Poor game planning, team not ready to play, didn't challenge apparent touchdown, changing offensive line during game week, let Goff look like a HOF quarterback.

This all happened against the Rams with a first time head coach.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Those are facts.     But they all don't add up to being the worst coach in the NFL,  or sucks at his job,  or all the other comments made in the last 48 hours.

I'm well aware that Pags is going to lose his job.     Sometimes a franchise just has to make a change and get new blood and a new voice to lead.    

But that doesn't make Pagano a bad coach.     He's average and average is not good enough for the Colts.     I don't see why that's a view that more people can't support?

My only gripes with all the negativity are:

Personal insults bordering on schoolyard mentalities.

Disregarding the fact that ALL HCs struggle, make stupid mistakes, bad decisions. (Belicheck had just ONE winning season in his first six years). 

Discounting what Pagano has had to work with, regarding talent level and injuries.

Refusing to believe he can learn from his mistakes and coach better.

Putting poor execution on his shoulders ( it wasn't him who missed kicks, missed tackles, fumbled, made poor throws or stupid penalties). 

People are frustrated and there are a lot of fingers pointing his way.

But, IF the Colts should win Sunday and play well, will he be given credit?

On 9/12/2017 at 3:37 PM, DaColts85 said:

I agree that the scheme has not looked great by any means so far.  Why do you have Tolzein throwing at the top CB most of the time.  Especially outs on the left side.  The longest throw for him to go sideline and he isn'tt hat great at it already and that is what we do?

Defensively Monachino to me is not ready and not sure who is making the call but why would you play Green that much more than Wilson.  Let Wilson learn over Green since you spent a #2 on him.  Plus Wilson has played there his whole career...it drives me crazy these decisions they make.  Purely terrible game planning and adjustments...what adjustments...wow!

Wilson was behind Melvin and i think he's finally passed melvin unless they just took a healthy melvin out late in the game just cause they felt like it. I think the next game we'll see alot of him and tj playing together.

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I really see nothing to gain by debating how bad Chuck Pagano is or is not. That said , there  are really no "hard" facts to back up either side of this. You point to a win loss record and I would counter that by saying we played 6 games a year in a terrible division . That's a fact that takes away form his win loss record. The real variable here is how many games did Indy win because Luck is a special QB ? What ever that number might be , IMO you can't chalk those up to Pagano coaching. Yes he did win some games without Andrew but the sample size is way too small to factor that in. 

IMO , the way to judge Pagano is simply your personal view of how he stacks up against other coaches in  scheme , game time decisions , game plans,  and making adjustments. I think he is pretty weak in all of those. But just my opinion. You can also add in a bit more . To his credit , he's a "players coach " they like him and in many instances they have not given up and continued to fight. But you could also blame some of the poor tackling on him ?  

So not saying your right or wrong , but I'm not agreeing with your assertion that there is "proof" that he is an average NFL coach. At least you seem to be making that argument ... maybe I'm wrong ?