Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Roster Moves (Countdown to 53)

TKnight24

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

I just don't think Stewart performed that much better than both McGill and Parry, IMO

He didn't perform much worse, either.  McGill and Parry are both guys who have limited upside.  They are OK players, but nothing more and nothing with their frame or skillset to show that they will continuously improve in this league.  They are average rotation guys, but that is it.  Stewart has a huge frame and a lot more raw potential.  Coming from a small school with his size and raw skillset should hopefully suggest he can be developed into something more than just a mediocre/average DL and instead become a very solid player in this league.  He also seems like he may have more versatility to rotate around DL positions.

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

I liked what I saw from Stewart that's who I would have kept out of the 3. He has the size for an odd front and a higher ceiling. It will be interesting to see what happens with McGill I thought he was underutilized last year and had value this year. I think he's inconsistent and his flash plays mask his short comings. 

Agree with this.  Stewart has a much higher ceiling and McGill showed some solid pass rushing plays but also has a lot of plays that show his weaknesses if you watch the tape entirely.  I appreciate what McGill and Parry gave us fans in terms of effort to the Colts, but the fact is that neither of them are anything more than average rotational players.  Stewart right now is probably not much more than that either, but he's got better physical traits and a higher potential to be a very solid player in this league with his raw skills.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Two things....

First,  Ragland went for a 4th and not a 5th....

https://sports.yahoo.com/bills-ship-reggie-ragland-chiefs-172532111.html

Second,   Ragland was hurt and has yet to play a down in the NFL.     Dorsett has a two year body of work that is not nearly as bad as the fans on this website would have you believe.      This is a passionate fan base.     But this is not a very well informed fan base.

Dorsett had value and that's what we got in return for him.

Dorsett as a 1st rounder had 18 catches and 33 catches in 2 years in the league.  I don't really think it's fair to say 'this is not a well informed fan base.'  Most of the arguments on this board are opinions and to suggest your opinion is better than mine and others or for me to suggest mine is better than yours and others doesn't mean others aren't well informed.

Dorsett has undoubtedly underperformed as a number 1 overall draft pick.  In his rookie year, we expected (and the coaches did, too) him to be a dynamic special teams player and run after the catch guy.  He never panned out as a return guy and he never really showed anything to suggest he'd be a gamebreaker as a receiver (whether it was the long ball, or breaking a screen or reverse for a huge play w/ his speed and athleticism). 

He did show potential at times and he wasn't terrible for us.  However, both TY and Moncrief have outperformed him and Chester Rogers seemed to outperform him as well.

Perhaps Dorsett wasn't being used properly.  Perhaps he needs more time to develop.  That said, 51 catches in a 2 year span from a first round draft pick is simply not worth the value we invested in him.

Part of his issue is he hasn't stayed healthy.  Pagano seemed to be addressing him almost directly earlier this preseason when he made a comment about nobody's job being safe, even the dinged up guys who can't practice because they've got minor little injuries.

Dorsett seems like a guy that could shine in NE's system, but he wasn't doing so in ours.  It's good we got something in return for him and I wish him the best.  That said, Dorsett's 2 year body of work in Indy did basically nothing to warrant anyone having confidence that Indy's system would be the one for him to develop into a productive player in.  I mean last year with Moncrief hurt, you would expect him to step up and light the world on fire like a 2nd year first-round draft pick should do given that opportunity, instead he got outshined by an undrafted rookie and finished the year with 33 catches (average or below average numbers for a 3rd or 4th receiver -- certainly not what anyone would want from a #1 or #2).

9 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

If I missed it my apologies, anyone surprised David Parry getting cut?  I think he was a long shot to begin with then the off-field issues...

Not sure how all this works, but is he gone or just to the practice squad for now?

I'm not surprised he was cut.  The off field issues didn't help him, but more importantly, he had trouble getting off of blocks, at least last year.  What will surprise me is if he makes the PS.  We'll know soon.

1 hour ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

I'm disappointed with Colts acquiring that QB from New England. I would have been happy if they started Morris until Luck comes back, with Tolzien as a backup. Then release Tolzien and keep Morris as a backup. This and cutting Natson took away all my excitement about the season. 

Sorry, right or wrong but that's how I feel. 

(I didn't want to make the previous post, and I couldn't delete it.)

JoJo would have been nothing more than a 5th WR on this team and we weren't even sure if he'd be the starting KR/PR if he made the roster.  Not sure why all you excitement is lost on the season because he was cut, he wasn't going to see much of the field anyway.  Keep in mind, most of the stuff you saw from him was against guys from other teams who likely also go cut.  He wasn't out there lighting Richard Sherman on fire or anything.

Brisett is young and seems like he's got a lot of talent.  Tolzein hasn't lit the world on fire the past few weeks and Morris played pretty well.  Brisett likely has more potential and raw talent than either of the other two and could perhaps serve as a long-term back-up to Luck if we trade or release Tolzein this year or next.  Dorsett was a bubble guy on the roster, so at least we got something for him.

4 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

JoJo would have been nothing more than a 5th WR on this team and we weren't even sure if he'd be the starting KR/PR if he made the roster.  Not sure why all you excitement is lost on the season because he was cut, he wasn't going to see much of the field anyway.  Keep in mind, most of the stuff you saw from him was against guys from other teams who likely also go cut.  He wasn't out there lighting Richard Sherman on fire or anything.

Brisett is young and seems like he's got a lot of talent.  Tolzein hasn't lit the world on fire the past few weeks and Morris played pretty well.  Brisett likely has more potential and raw talent than either of the other two and could perhaps serve as a long-term back-up to Luck if we trade or release Tolzein this year or next.  Dorsett was a bubble guy on the roster, so at least we got something for him.

I didn't say I lost all my enthusiasm for the season, I may regain it later. But for today this is a downer. It's not as much about Natson, although he was exciting as a WR, as it is is about the realization that the Colts do not trust Morris to lead the team in Luck's absence. I don't understand how much more the guy had to do in the preseason, score a TD on every pass attempt? 

I don't understand the argument about upside, sounds like a cliché too me. The best predictor about the future is still the past, and I think Belichick made another fool of Ballard like he makes of all the other football people in the NFL who never get that he is always a step ahead of everybody else. I also believe Dorsett was not properly utilized by our coaches who rather than playing to players' strengths try to make them fit their rigid schemes. 

OK and if they absolutely wanted to trade him why trade him for a backup QB and to Patriots of all teams? Anyway,

I could go on an on, please understand this not necessarily an argument or disagreement with you, I'm just letting some frustration with the Colts go here.

31 minutes ago, il vecchio said:

I'm not surprised he was cut.  The off field issues didn't help him, but more importantly, he had trouble getting off of blocks, at least last year.  What will surprise me is if he makes the PS.  We'll know soon.

Not eligible for the PS. He's definitely now a former Colt.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I'm still wishing we would have kept Ayers. We are really short on coverage backers now. I will wait and see what moves they make.

I liked him in a depth role as well. Only 2 deep on each side now. 

Anyone else kind of surprised by Jeremiah George making the 53? Don't know much about him.

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

Ronald Martin ?  Safety?

why is this the 1st i've heard of this guy?

Ronald Martin | Defensive Back

Team:  Indianapolis Colts
Age / DOB:   (24) / 2/26/1993
Ht / Wt:   6'2' / 220
College:  LSU

Sat, May 2, 2015 - Seahawks signed LSU S Ronald Martin.
Martin (6'1/200) became a full-time starter as a senior in the Tigers' secondary, finishing third on the team in tackles, intercepting two passes, and forcing a pair of fumbles. He only started 21 games in his four-year college career. Martin ran 4.63/4.65 at the LSU Pro Day with a 33 1/2-inch vertical and 10-foot-1 broad jump. A box safety and/or dime linebacker, Martin is a big hitter with coverage limitations. He'll likely have to earn his NFL keep on special teams. 

Sun, Sept 6, 2015 - Jets claimed S Ronald Martin off waivers from the Seahawks.
Martin was a playmaker as a senior at LSU, but started just 21 games in the SEC. He's a decent athlete, one who could also see time at linebacker. He's got a nice profile for a special teamer.

Fri, Aug 28, 2017 - Colts acquired S Ronald Martin from the Jets in exchange for LS Thomas Hennessy.  ---RotoWorld

35 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Dorsett as a 1st rounder had 18 catches and 33 catches in 2 years in the league.  I don't really think it's fair to say 'this is not a well informed fan base.'  Most of the arguments on this board are opinions and to suggest your opinion is better than mine and others or for me to suggest mine is better than yours and others doesn't mean others aren't well informed.

Dorsett has undoubtedly underperformed as a number 1 overall draft pick.  In his rookie year, we expected (and the coaches did, too) him to be a dynamic special teams player and run after the catch guy.  He never panned out as a return guy and he never really showed anything to suggest he'd be a gamebreaker as a receiver (whether it was the long ball, or breaking a screen or reverse for a huge play w/ his speed and athleticism). 

He did show potential at times and he wasn't terrible for us.  However, both TY and Moncrief have outperformed him and Chester Rogers seemed to outperform him as well.

Perhaps Dorsett wasn't being used properly.  Perhaps he needs more time to develop.  That said, 51 catches in a 2 year span from a first round draft pick is simply not worth the value we invested in him.

Part of his issue is he hasn't stayed healthy.  Pagano seemed to be addressing him almost directly earlier this preseason when he made a comment about nobody's job being safe, even the dinged up guys who can't practice because they've got minor little injuries.

Dorsett seems like a guy that could shine in NE's system, but he wasn't doing so in ours.  It's good we got something in return for him and I wish him the best.  That said, Dorsett's 2 year body of work in Indy did basically nothing to warrant anyone having confidence that Indy's system would be the one for him to develop into a productive player in.  I mean last year with Moncrief hurt, you would expect him to step up and light the world on fire like a 2nd year first-round draft pick should do given that opportunity, instead he got outshined by an undrafted rookie and finished the year with 33 catches (average or below average numbers for a 3rd or 4th receiver -- certainly not what anyone would want from a #1 or #2).

I write a few sentences...   and you write seven big paragraphs and I don't think you made much of an argument.    It's filled a lot of opinion and far fewer facts.

But why are you specifically responding to my comment about a fan base.    I'm not talking about you.     I'm talking about hundreds if not thousands of fans here.    And by the way, this isn't the first time I've made the comment.    I don't see how you can read what is posted here and say this is an informed fan base.    It's simply not. All opinions are NOT equal.    Everyone is entitled o their own views, but that doesn't make them well informed.  

Look, I spend more time here than I do other sites.   So I like the people here.    I enjoy my time with people here.    But I find most people are far more interested in opinions than they are about facts.

Opinions are more fun.   Facts are more stubborn.    We will just have to agree to disagree.   

12 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

I liked him in a depth role as well. Only 2 deep on each side now. 

Anyone else kind of surprised by Jeremiah George making the 53? Don't know much about him.

George did well. I noticed him when I watched. Not surprised he made it

9 minutes ago, Douzer said:

Ronald Martin | Defensive Back

Team:  Indianapolis Colts
Age / DOB:   (24) / 2/26/1993
Ht / Wt:   6'2' / 220
College:  LSU

Sat, May 2, 2015 - Seahawks signed LSU S Ronald Martin.
Martin (6'1/200) became a full-time starter as a senior in the Tigers' secondary, finishing third on the team in tackles, intercepting two passes, and forcing a pair of fumbles. He only started 21 games in his four-year college career. Martin ran 4.63/4.65 at the LSU Pro Day with a 33 1/2-inch vertical and 10-foot-1 broad jump. A box safety and/or dime linebacker, Martin is a big hitter with coverage limitations. He'll likely have to earn his NFL keep on special teams. 

Sun, Sept 6, 2015 - Jets claimed S Ronald Martin off waivers from the Seahawks.
Martin was a playmaker as a senior at LSU, but started just 21 games in the SEC. He's a decent athlete, one who could also see time at linebacker. He's got a nice profile for a special teamer.

Fri, Aug 28, 2017 - Colts acquired S Ronald Martin from the Jets in exchange for LS Thomas Hennessy.  ---RotoWorld

I spoke on this guy when we first aquired him. I either see him cut altogether once we acqire somebody we like. Or he will be moved to ILB. His profile sounds like a big will linebacker to me.

3 hours ago, IndyNismoZ said:
  • There are actually not many surprises here other than the things we’ve already covered today. The most notable cuts are DT T.Y. McGill, DT David Parry and ILB Edwin Jackson. Between CB Chris Culliver and CB Corey White, it seemed as if the Colts’ banged-up secondary would be welcoming one of them on-board.

I am sure that Jackson was placed on IR not CUT? Per multiple reports

Also White was released but Culliver was placed on IR the same as Jackson, not cut?

But i took SBNation's exact quote from there website and posted above as you see....  Am i missing something? 

Can anyone tell me what Jacksons injury was.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm still wishing we would have kept Ayers. We are really short on coverage backers now. I will wait and see what moves they make.

Ballard has to have his eye on someone. Jackson to the IR caught me off guard. I didn't realize his injury was that severe.

Who do we have that can cover? We could have a long year chasing TE's and RB's around. We are really thin. Geathers is missing for subpackages too. 

1 hour ago, il vecchio said:

Parry has played too many games to be on the PS not eligible I don't think.

Just now, akcolt said:

Ballard has to have his eye on someone. Jackson to the IR caught me off guard. I didn't realize his injury was that severe.

Who do we have that can cover? We could have a long year chasing TE's and RB's around. We are really thin. Geathers is missing for subpackages too. 

What really is bad in my opinion we kept Bostic and I wasn't really impressed by him. Matter of fact I was scratching my head when we signed Bostic in the first place.

4 minutes ago, akcolt said:

It could be they are stashing him there as they needed the roster spot and couldn't afford to have another guy who wasn't healthy right now but didn't want to cut Jackson either.  

4 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I have no idea but I did say id wait till they make more moves. I just don't see who is out there that's better than Ayers. Ballard must have something up his sleeve I dont see.

Ballard is sticking with his marginally rosterable guys and cutting Grigson's marginally rosterable guys.  No surprise, but I don't see much of an overall upgrade from last season.  Maybe the drafted rookies will shine.

And the WR corps still is unproven after TY.  Going on about 4 years now.

1 hour ago, NorthernColt said:

So whats the situation with Edwin Jackson? Didn't think his injury was serious enough for the IR. Think we'll see him again this year? I was looking forward to seeing his progression.

Probably goes IR DTR 

Remains to be seen. Tomorrow through like Wednesday will be very interesting for Mr. Ballard 

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ballard is sticking with his marginally rosterable guys and cutting Grigson's marginally rosterable guys.  No surprise, but I don't see the overall upgrade from last season.  Maybe the drafted rookies will shine.

And the WR corps still is unproven after TY.  Going on about 4 years now.

If you can't see Ballards guys are better than Grigson's outside of Luck & Hilton I'm not really sure you've been watching the games thus far. 

7 turnovers in 4 pre-season games. John Simon leading the way 

Still early and this isn't a SB or bust season, this team is heading in the right direction 

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It could be they are stashing him there as they needed the roster spot and couldn't afford to have another guy who wasn't healthy right now but didn't want to cut Jackson either.  

You stash a guy that needs time to develop. We need roster spots no question but Jackson has proven to be one of our best players at ILB.  He's the best in coverage IMO. The IR means he's out for at least 8 weeks can't practice for 6. His injury must be significant to put him on the shelf for 1/2 the season.  It makes a big hole on D that much bigger. 

Just now, TKnight24 said:

If you can't see Ballards guys are better than Grigson's outside of Luck & Hilton I'm not really sure you've been watching the games thus far. 

7 turnovers in 4 pre-season games. John Simon leading the way 

Still early and this isn't a SB or bust season, this team is heading in the right direction 

I'm not being biased against one and favoring the other.  I like Simon.  But Vontae is getting shaky, and no one will be as good this season as when he was in his prime.  Sheard is better than the post injured Mathis, but not the pre-injured. I hope Hankins doesn't start getting chronically injured like Art Jones.  I'm not sure anybody still knows who the RT is. 

Not saying anything other than the obvious.  Holes have been filled with stop gaps.  The back up spots have been churned.  Its been only one off season.  But that's the reality.

5 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

If Brisset has starter potential..Brady is 40 and Garrafalo is at the end of his contract..

..doesit beg the question as to why NE traded him?

That's actually a very interesting question.... Since Garoppolo will be a free agent next year, they will either need to tag him or let him go. Tagging a backup QB is a heckuva move, even if they will do it hoping they can trade him before the deadline. Next year's QB class will be actually pretty good, unlike this year's, and even this year, no one was willing to pay the bill Belichick asked for Garoppolo. And this year Garoppolo was cheap. Next year he won't be cheap. Who will pay 15+ mills PLUS give away a first (or second) rounder for an uproven 28 year old QB, even if he looked very good in Belichick's system? I would not, that is for sure. The Ryan Mallett, Brock Osweiler stories show too many red flags to take that risk, compared to drafting a new guy out of a very good class of QB-s.

So, letting Brissett go, indeed raises some questions next year, but it's their problem. From our standpoint, I have mixed feelings. Mixed, because from the logical standpoint, I like this trade. The more I think about it, the more I loke it. But at the same time, I can't get rid of this "Patriots curse" thinking, so I'm a bit scared that Dorsett will shine in Boston. Because of that damn old man there, lol :) 

Anyway, I like that Ballard clearly lacks this "Patriots curse" or fear, or whatever. He just pulls the trigger without hesitation if he sees fit, even if it's the Dark Lord on the other side. And logically, this was a nice trade. Dorsett was a dead weight for us, 4 guys were already ahead of him, and there were a number of young UDFA WR's who showed flashes, who might end up on PS, and might be called if necessary. On the other hand Brissett is kinda the prototype of the backup quarterback the Colts need behind Luck. He is a 3rd round talent, so definitely not a Curtis Painter. And more importantly, his strenghts fit just perfectly to a playbook written for Luck. Ever since I've seen this guy the first time, I wondered how similar he is to Luck in terms of style, strengths, etc.. Of course Luck being on an entirely different level. But still.

So, I see this Brissett trade more as an investment, than an immediate solution for the next few games. Ballard thinks in long term. He acquired Luck's long term backup, which has nothing to do to who will start next sunday. And probably that's the reason why they kept 4 QB's on the roster. They will go with Tolzien/Morris in the first few games, until Luck gets back. Then they will release Tolzien and waive Morris and put him in PS. And keep Brissett on the 53 roster, as Lucks true, long term backup.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Admittedly, he's probably better than Tolzein, and he has game experience.  I don't put much faith in preseason stats.  Those who do not learn from Colt Brennan are doomed to repeat him.

So, we won't carry 4 QBs.  Who goes?  

JB didn't look to bad last year filling in for Brady & Gar before hurting his thumb. Won a game so that's more than any of our current active QB's have done lmao...As a rookie to boot. Yea I'm wondering which one goes as well...I'm assuming it's Morris even though I've liked what he has done the past two preseasons.

Having finally watched the Cincy game..

I like Q.Wilson's size. Still early, but you can definitely see Ballard likes those long athletic guys. 

I definitely think Ballard's scrubs will be better in general then our boy Grigs and I definitely like how you can see that we will be the height weight speed type team Ballard keeps talking about.

Whether the talent or results eventually come is yet to be seen, but I definitely like how we're being remade. Definitely not sweating this year, let's just get better overall in general.

Totally random thoughts.

5 hours ago, ColtsAC said:

I watched Brissett in the last NE game. He had a very big day. Led a last minute drive to a field goal that should have won the game.

In one play, he was Ben-like shaking off rushers to get a pass off. The commentators all marveled at how he did it. With our OL, that may come in handy. I'm sorry to lose Dorsett but we will be happy with Brisett.

When he was in college, some compared his playing style to Luck's. I wanted the Vikes to draft Brissett or Kevin Hogan to be a backup QB. I never thought Brissett would be drafted as high as he was. Hope he wins some games for the Colts in the next 5-6 games. 

4 hours ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

OK, all that may be true, but tell me what's wrong with Morris and why Bissett and Tolzien are better than him?

Personally, I can't... I'm not in the locker rooms of these guys.  i'm not a GM. However, I can point to these-

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/jacoby-brissett?id=2555261

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/stephen-morris?id=2543731

And our GM (who was #3 behind Reid and Dorsey in decision making with the Chiefs) wants Brissett, even though he already has Morris.

Your turn... Why do you prefer Morris over Brissett?

3 hours ago, IinD said:

Not eligible for the PS. He's definitely now a former Colt.

Again (I asked this about a different player to another poster earlier) why not?

The new PS rules allow up to 4 (up from 2 last year) players with 2 accrued seasons.  Parry has 2 accrued seasons, yes?  Not more?  Then I think he should be eligible by rule...

Whether we want to or not is another story...

7 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Or they realized McGill has already been playing at his ceiling and won't improve much if at all.  Stewart has a lot more potential and isn't really a big drop off from McGill currently.  They probably factored in that Stewart would be a long shot to clear waivers and be placed away on our practice squad to develop further based on his size and potential.

Or - teams typically favor 4th round draft picks, especially in the first year. 

7 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Yep, at least the first six weeks. Then they have an additional two weeks to activate him or he goes to IR.

Actually, after 5 weeks the team can activate the player to begin practicing. After 5 weeks there is a 21 day window in which the team must either activate the player or leave him on PUP for the remainder of the season. 

3 hours ago, krunk said:

I have no idea but I did say id wait till they make more moves. I just don't see who is out there that's better than Ayers. Ballard must have something up his sleeve I dont see.

Krunk you watch the Raiders? I saw they released S Calhoun. I doubt he can help in coverage but he could get after the QB at Michigan State. 

25 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Actually, after 5 weeks the team can activate the player to begin practicing. After 5 weeks there is a 21 day window in which the team must either activate the player or leave him on PUP for the remainder of the season. 

This isn't correct for the 2017 Reserve/PUP. The rules are-

Once a player is transferred to the Reserve/PUP-

Players are prevented from playing and practicing during the first six weeks of the season. If a player isn't activated after the sixth week, the team has a window (from the day after Week 6 to day after Week 11) to make a decision to:

1.) place the player on injured reserve
2.) release the player
3.) get him back to practice.

As soon as the player returns to practice, the team has another three-week window to add the player back to the 53 man roster, or place them on the Injured Reserve list.

46 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Again (I asked this about a different player to another poster earlier) why not?

The new PS rules allow up to 4 (up from 2 last year) players with 2 accrued seasons.  Parry has 2 accrued seasons, yes?  Not more?  Then I think he should be eligible by rule...

Whether we want to or not is another story...

Could be totally wrong so don't quote me, but I remember thinking along the lines of what you're saying and had a friend who knows more about this stuff tell me once that if you played a certain amount of games in first 2 seasons, you lose eligibility in the third.