Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Metzelaars On Why Colts Went 2-14 Last Season

UndecidedFrog

Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/33910/metzelaars-colts-didn%E2%80%99t-scale-back-enough

As reported by ESPN blogger Paul Kuharsky, Pete Metzelaars commented on why the Colts went 2-14 last season:

“We were so dependent on (Manning) and what he did. The whole offensive structure was built upon what he could do and how he did it. The way his injury took place, there was always kind of the thought that, ‘Well, he could come back, he might come back, maybe the recovery time is going to be X.’ So we found ourselves kind of holding out hope, ‘Well, let’s not change everything because there’s a chance he’s going to come back and when he comes back then we’re going to run it this way.’ Unfortunately, he never did come back. So we got stuck with kind of trying to change in midstream and put some things together, and the people we had trying to do some of the things that Peyton did, even then we cut it down, but obviously they’re not Peyton Manning."

The defense was only bad due simply to always being on the field. It mgiht seem like a lifetime ago but they did pretty much cripple the steelers offense. Honestly the only game that pops in my head that was clearly them was the bucs game. I could be wrong, but this season was one big blur to me haha

The defense was only bad due simply to always being on the field. It mgiht seem like a lifetime ago but they did pretty much cripple the steelers offense. Honestly the only game that pops in my head that was clearly them was the bucs game. I could be wrong, but this season was one big blur to me haha

Correction: The defense was bad and therefore, couldn't get off the field

Because we signed the slowest passer ever in Collins and then went to Painter. If we would've started with Danny O we might have had more wins.

Our staff apparently doesn't know how to evaluate talent either... Or they caved in to Reggie Wayne's demands to let Curtis play. Little tip to our coaches: Don't let players make your decisions for you!

Because we signed the slowest passer ever in Collins and then went to Painter. If we would've started with Danny O we might have had more wins.

4-12 team at best. Brees and to a lesser extent Rivers might lead to one more win than that.

Anyone else would struggle behind that O-line. You need a QB who can make reads and dump the ball within 2-3 seconds consistently.

Either that or a scrambler/Tebow...but he'd be chased by the entire defense within 2 seconds while our O-line gets immediately run over.

Source: http://espn.go.com/b...ale-back-enough

As reported by ESPN blogger Paul Kuharsky, Pete Metzelaars commented on why the Colts went 2-14 last season:

“We were so dependent on (Manning) and what he did. The whole offensive structure was built upon what he could do and how he did it. The way his injury took place, there was always kind of the thought that, ‘Well, he could come back, he might come back, maybe the recovery time is going to be X.’ So we found ourselves kind of holding out hope, ‘Well, let’s not change everything because there’s a chance he’s going to come back and when he comes back then we’re going to run it this way.’ Unfortunately, he never did come back. So we got stuck with kind of trying to change in midstream and put some things together, and the people we had trying to do some of the things that Peyton did, even then we cut it down, but obviously they’re not Peyton Manning."

Just proves to me the chances that peyton is back with the colts is super slim

I have only 1 question for this coach,Why did they not let Peyton on the headset to help Painter and Orlovsky instead of having to talk to the after they came out of the game?

i think a big reason why is because he was a player not a coach.. peyton also knows his place and wouldnt wanna disrespect Clyde

Our staff apparently doesn't know how to evaluate talent either... Or they caved in to Reggie Wayne's demands to let Curtis play. Little tip to our coaches: Don't let players make your decisions for you!

Actually I think that the games we won had schemes designed to maximize Orlovsky's abilities. If they had been able to do the same thing when Painter was playing - instead of trying to keep the old offense in place - HE might have won some games.

And both of them were at their best when the oline was relatively healthy. Painters "fall" had a lot to do with injuries across the board. He was just dumping and running, or running and dumping, and getting crushed. It's nowhere near as simple as "they made a mistake in playing Painter." Painter has more physical skills, and you can't blame them for trying to take advantage of it. He just lost it mentally, and they gambled that he would get it back together.

----

Actually reading your answer more carefully, I'd have to add "what the heck are you talking about". You don't honestly believe that the decision to play Painter was because of Wayne do you? It was relevent in that a QB needs his teammates to have confidence in him, but "caved in to Reggie Wayne's demands"? What the..................

Edited by MAC

Actually reading your answer more carefully, I'd have to add "what the heck are you talking about". You don't honestly believe that the decision to play Painter was because of Wayne do you? It was relevent in that a QB needs his teammates to have confidence in him, but "caved in to Reggie Wayne's demands"? What the..................

It can't be proven, but it can't be denied either. Reggie Wayne is on the final year of his contract, and as a top 5 WR in the league, there is clear incentive from the Colts organization to make him happy. Wayne publicly denounced the signing of Collins, proving Wayne is upset. Considering Wayne presented these frustrations publicly, imagine what he was like in the locker room!

http://aol.sportingn...collins-signing

You could argue he was defending both Painter and Orlovsky, but I doubt this. Orlovsky was cut and brought back after the injury to Peyton, and the only QB in our system who had sustained experience with the Colts, other than Peyton, was Curtis Painter. Therefore, when Reggie denounced Collins, he indirectly stated he wanted Painter as the starter.

Wayne played a part in the organization's QB decision. To what extend, we will never know.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it a coaches job to put the players in the best possible position to win? So shouldn't said coaches, based on who was actually able to play, be required to make the changes necessary in game planning and calling to do just that? Isn't failing to do so, failing to do your job? Couldn't changing things to better suit the current QB been undone if/when Manning would've/could've returned? All of these answers are yes, and that's why all of them got let go. Failing to do your job because you're used to Manning doing it for you is inexcusable. I for one am glad this past season happened because all of the flaws with this team from the top to the bottom were exposed for the world to see. I'm glad that Irsay cleaned house because it was obviously needed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it a coaches job to put the players in the best possible position to win? So shouldn't said coaches, based on who was actually able to play, be required to make the changes necessary in game planning and calling to do just that? Isn't failing to do so, failing to do your job? Couldn't changing things to better suit the current QB been undone if/when Manning would've/could've returned? All of these answers are yes, and that's why all of them got let go. Failing to do your job because you're used to Manning doing it for you is inexcusable. I for one am glad this past season happened because all of the flaws with this team from the top to the bottom were exposed for the world to see. I'm glad that Irsay cleaned house because it was obviously needed.

Yeah pretty much.

What I don't understand is if you know Curtis is going to start (even for just a couple of weeks) why they didn't try and put together a "Curtis Offense." You know, one that doesn't require him to be Peyton Manning...

Yeah pretty much.

What I don't understand is if you know Curtis is going to start (even for just a couple of weeks) why they didn't try and put together a "Curtis Offense." You know, one that doesn't require him to be Peyton Manning...

I hate to even bring up his name because it's been used so much this past year, but I look at what Denver did with Tebow, and I ask why we couldn't do something for Painter? Obviously Painter and Tebow aren't the same type players, but Denver totally changed schemes in mid stream to best suit the guy they currently had as QB. But yet Caldwell and Christensen sat back and did virtually nothing to help Painter succeed. Plenty of people will doubt that it's even possible for him to succeed but the coaches certainly didn't do him any favors.

This. They werent stellar, but they werent helped at all by constant 3rd down failures.

Don't forget the Saints game and the first Texans game and the Falcons game and... You get the picture. The defense was awful and not that talented. They were a maor reason why we went 2-14 last year.

Don't forget the Saints game and the first Texans game and the Falcons game and... You get the picture. The defense was awful and not that talented. They were a maor reason why we went 2-14 last year.

The defense was built to play with a lead, and has always been a bend but don't break defense. They broke this year, partly because we usually never had a lead, and the offense had serious trouble staying on the field to even give them a chance to rest up before they went back on the field. You can't expect a defense that for years has only been asked to not lose the game to all of a sudden go out and win games for us. It was a failed effort from everybody, from the top to the bottom, from the FO to every player on the field. To place blame on one particular group is unfair uncalled for. EVERYBODY could have and should have done more to make this a more successful season.

That's an indictment on the coaching staff's ability to create and implement an offensive plan suited for someone other than Peyton to run. It didn't even necessarily have to be a QB centric plan, although a non QB centric scheme probably would have had to involve some trades and or FA moves.