Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Malik Hooker [Merge]

danlhart87

For those complaining about Hooker's tackling, the primary issue is that he sometimes takes bad angles in run support.  He actually does a decent job bringing the ball carrier down when he makes contact.  The bad angle thing should be correctable with proper coaching.  Just don't know if our current coaches are the ones best suited to do that.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

No one NFL Network liked this pick either.. time will tell... but there was a lot of talent that would have been a better choice at 15...

What is funny is on almost every Mock Draft he was Top 15 at worse. Had the Patriots took him, ESPN and the NFL Network would've been like OH MAN, this guy is the best ball hawker since Ed Reed, what a steal lmao 

2 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Thing is he may be like Matheiu who can play EDIT: Saftey @ the next level when he played CB in college.  Could be a flip for Hooker where he plays CB @ the next level???  The thing is I have no idea how the Colts will use him.  In the end I agree though the FS should be covered barring injury.  Pending on his hip surg they may be wise and do some rotation for the first half of the season, no clue. 

He will be at FS 100% green isn't any good and butler is old 

34 minutes ago, Boomstick1 said:

Um, yes. Oakland bound

Well I'm selfish and hoped he would fall into our laps in RD 3-4, but people like @jvan1973 and whoever else on here, and the rest of the world are starting to see I'm right about him being innocent. But for him. At least some hood rat didn't screw him over and ruin his dream. HAHA. Bet she's mad as hell now. She should get the same punishment he WOULD have gotten if he had actually done this. And MAYBE now people will start seeing and believing how often innocent people get setup by others. Including cops, and how often men get lied on by women in situations like this.

I'm just being real so.....Only way to be. Not down with all this PC bull. What I said above is accurate. Hell I seen the police department set my neighbor up back last winter. I've seen women lie on innocent men. LOL. Seen it all.

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

He will be at FS 100% green isn't any good and butler is old 

Well, I agree he's FS  most likely but you just never know with the Colts.  I wouldn't count Green out yet.  He's only played a year.  He could be some good competition at both CB and S.  Give him another year. 

25 minutes ago, drums1st said:

Dang, I thought CB was a bigger need. We got nothing beyond V. Davis at corner. 

The 2nd starting corner could have been addressed. 

D. Butler or T.J. Green could have competed for that FS type position. 

I know they'll draft a corner or two in later rounds but the really good guys will be gone. 

Hope this works out. 

Peace

Way too focused on positional need. This draft is very deep at corner. When a top-tier secondary talent like this luckily falls into your lap, you take the talent and run with it. Plus, it's not as if he won't drastically improve our secondary. The last time we had a top-tier ball-hawking safety, our Colts won a Super Bowl.

This pick is awesome and should give Colts fans a lot of hope for the future of our D.

15 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

No one NFL Network liked this pick either.. time will tell... but there was a lot of talent that would have been a better choice at 15...

ESPN and NFL network would not like any pick the Colts made. The Colts in their eyes are the ones responsible for turning in Brady.

1 minute ago, Malakai432 said:

Well, I agree he's FS  most likely but you just never know with the Colts.  I wouldn't count Green out yet.  He's only played a year.  He could be some good competition at both CB and S.  Give him another year. 

We are prolly going CB in the 2md so many good ones are falling we are in a great position 

2 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

This guy doesn't seem very good as a 1st rounder to me...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/malik-hooker?id=2558060

"Raw and still learning nuances of the position."
"Just one year of experience."

Uhh, if all it takes is one year of experience to make it to the NFL, I should have made it my New Year's Resolution. What exactly are you guys seeing in this pick?

Not to single you out, but you have brought up this point: Just 1 year of experience.

The lack of experience is a concern, however, think of it this way -- He played 1 year and showed that he was one of the best defensive players in the country. If he had more experience, we wouldn't have had a shot at drafting him. He is going to get better...much better. We go a steal.

Just now, krunk said:

The only people hating on this pick are the needs based draft thinkers.

This is kind of true. Hooker has tremendous potential. I could've understood going in some other directions but Malik Hooker was kind of a steal.

I'm currently really nervous we won't do enough to address our running game though. So I can understand needs based thinking... Because I think we need to keep improving our running game, and that we won't win January games without adding a couple players to do so. 

That said Hooker was a good pick because he was the BPA, or at least very close to it without many red flags. 

15 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

Injury history... 1 yr starter.. poor angles and misses tackles... We needed a lot more than a safety.  Butler would be fine... We need CB, EDGE, LB.... with Allen and.lots more available,  more of a Grigson pick

He started 1 year in college & managed to set the OSU record for career pick 6s.

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

We are prolly going CB in the 2md so many good ones are falling we are in a great position 

That wouldn't shock me at all, they still gotta find a roll for TJ Green though unless he does just flat out have no instincts.. I guess we'll see a lot of TJ in the preseason at possible CB/Safety. 

Just now, Malakai432 said:

That wouldn't shock me at all, they still gotta find a roll for TJ Green though unless he does just flat out have no instincts.. I guess we'll see a lot of TJ in the preseason at possible CB/Safety. 

I'm not sure he's got a place anymore his skillscin coverage are just none existent 

1 minute ago, ReMeDy said:

Uhh, if all it takes is one year of experience to make it to the NFL, I should have made it my New Year's Resolution. What exactly are you guys seeing in this pick?

You could have just said "I know nothing about the guy" and moved on. Go watch the film, hell there is one on this thread that breaks him down perfectly. He had teams by mid-season completely avoiding him. Clemson stayed away from him the entire game. They can call him "raw" all they want, but he's already got the FS position down and his natural instincts for the position are beyond his "experience". The guy was a first team All-American safety in his only year starting.

6'2 ballhawk, athletic with 11 inch hands and super long arms, can tackle but i admit does take bad angles.at times.. what's not to like. Natural Ed reed type take-away skills. And he has a lot of room to get better, only played for 1 year??

5 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

The lack of experience is a concern, however, think of it this way -- He played 1 year and showed that he was one of the best defensive players in the country. If he had more experience, we wouldn't have had a shot at drafting him. He is going to get better...much better. We go a steal.

This^ 100%

Look. I wanted Takk, but I love this pick. AGAIN. We just stole a top 5ish talent. A day 1 starter, who'll play at a high level the minute he steps onto the field. Best player we've drafted in 6 years after that sorry s O b Ryan got ran out of Naptown. We got a premier talent. Not a developmental prospect. So stop with all the stupid s***. And be happy......WHY???? Cause we just got an Earl Thomas type talent.

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

Look. I wanted Takk, but I love this pick. AGAIN. We just stole a top 5ish talent. A day 1 starter, who'll play at a high level the minute he steps onto the field. Best player we've drafted in 6 years after that sorry s O b Ryan got ran out of Naptown. We got a premier talent. Not a developmental prospect. So stop with all the stupid s***. And be happy......WHY???? Cause we just got an Earl Thomas type talent.

He needs to develop as a tackler.

10 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

I see the fact that he was a 1st-Team All-American. I see the fact that he had 7 INT's last season and took 3 of them to the house for TD's. I see that he somehow managed to standout in that loaded Ohio State secondary, with Lattimore and Conley next to him.

I see this:

I've seen Hooker be projected as high as #2 to the 49ers (by "The Ringer"). Sports Illustrated praises him in his player profile and rates him the 9th best overall prospect. Here's Michael Lombardi declaring Hooker as one of the Top 14 players available and a Day One starter. Another article highlights Hooker's most impressive plays since he's one of the most exciting players available in the draft.

There are no guarantees in the draft, and maybe he busts. Every player has that chance. But based on the above, and considering we picked at #15... this should definitely qualify as an "exciting" pick that raises our hopes up for the future.

Some of our more knowledgeable members know what we're getting with him, but I feel a lot of our more casual forum members were put off by what Jon Gruden said. I figure if you're going to criticize the pick from watching 10 seconds of espn air time, might as well watch more tape right?

So to reintroduce some perspective, here's an intro video to what a stud Malik Hooker is and what he'll bring to our defense.

My biggest question is how exactly we're going to implement him into our schemes? Can someone who understands Colt's Xs and Os shed some light? I don't think we run a cover 3 although I'm sure we mix some looks.

I think what I come away with from today is that if this pick fails, it's on coaching.