Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should have taken Dalvin Cook at #15

16 minutes ago, Shive said:

Not rumors...he was arrested multiple times:

2009 - Arrested and charged with robbery (charges dropped)

2010 - Arrested and charged with firing a weapon & possession of a weapon at an event on school property (charges dropped)

2014 - Arrested and charged with criminal mischief shooting out car windows with a BB gun (charges dropped)

2014 - Cited for a violation of animal care (had 3 pitpull puppies chained up in the yard with chains so heavy, they could hardly stand)

2015 - Arrested and charged with assault for punching a woman multiple times in the face (found not guilty)

Not being convicted does not mean he was innocent. If it was just one of the incidents, you could argue that it's just a one-time thing, but all of them together paint a picture of poor decision making and never being held accountable for his actions, which would really scare me as a GM. I'd actually feel better drafting Mixon than Cook, because at least he has been put through the ringer & held responsible for his actions. Cook has not.

Add in the shoulder injury and pedestrian combine...there's a reason he hasn't been drafted yet. Luckily, this is a really deep RB class and are some really talented RB's left in the next couple of rounds.

Correct. The Giants didn't have enough cap room to make enough of an offer to Hankins. They REALLY wanted him back though.

Bad combine is what really sealed it for me.  Not only where his performances bad in the athletic portion of the combine but in the skills portion of the combine I watched him drop more then 1 ball.  

This guy is suppose to be an elite weapon in the passing game but during the underwear olympics with no defense on the field he can't make some relatively easy catches?  

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Cook was projected as first round pick, until some rumors surfaced about off the field issues. Seems like some shady affairs going on here. Cook and Fournette were ranked almost equal towards the end of the season. Fournette gets taken at #4, and Cook isn't drafted in Round 1? Seems odd to me. 

No one had Cook above Fournette. 

I have never understood the obsession with Cook on this forum or in general.  He has no vision.  Almost every "highlight" run he has is him running really fast in a line around the corner.  No move to break space, no cut in and out, complete disregard for blocking and usually not touched at all by an opposing player.  That screams a bad pick all day every day.  His biggest issue in the pro's is that he will be given the edge of a defense maybe 2% of his carries and when he is given that edge he will be met by athletes that are just as fast as him so he won't be able to break.  I'm not drafting a RB in the first 4 rounds that can only be counted on for less than 2% of his carries. 

Fournette, McCaffree, Mixon, Foreman, Kamara, Hunt are all better more complete backs than Cook.   It honestly isn't even remotely close.  They all have proven they can actually do things that NFL running backs do.  They may not be able to do them all but they can at least do one or 2.  Cook has proven nothing but that he can run in a straight line and around the oline when the defense moves out of his way...

In no way am I saying he can't learn those things.  But he hasn't shown them yet (or very little)  and is in a class full of backs who have shown.  All of this without touching the fact that he has a terrible off the field reputation, questionable decision making, and terrible workout times...

1 hour ago, krunk said:

The OP starts his argument off with "Luck Needs".   Once again I'll state that the only people who have a problem with this pick are the needs based draft thinkers.   Those who understand the value of BPA and those who have accepted what Ballard said about taking BPA have no problem accepting this decision.  He took the highest rank player according to their own scouting and drafting rules.

Even needs based draft thinkers wouldn't have taken Cook because RB is low on our needs list. Only one thing makes sense- OP is a Grigson advocate.

1 hour ago, jet1968 said:

Colts should have taken a defensive player in the first and they did. 

They need defense in the second.

they need defense in the third. 

I don't think we can afford to keep ignoring our running game. Hooker was a good pick in the first, but I'll consider it a mistake if we don't walk away with either a new starter on the OL or at RB after tonight. 

1 hour ago, Track Guy said:

I don't think we can afford to keep ignoring our running game. Hooker was a good pick in the first, but I'll consider it a mistake if we don't walk away with either a new starter on the OL or at RB after tonight. 

I don't think anyone we draft is going to start over Frank Gore this season.  We can find a decent RB3 in later rounds for this year.

Maybe next year, when RB is a much bigger need, we draft one early, or even find a good FA to compete as starter.

Heck, Jamal Charles is still out there if we need someone to compete at RB this year.  It is not a huge need at the moment.

Another solid OLineman?  Yes, please.  I'll take five 1st round picks on the OLine for as long as Luck is our QB.  Please and thank you.

:clover:

12 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Luck needs to be paired with a stud RB to take pressure off him. Besides Bradshaw for a few games, Luck has not had good RB's. Cook would have been a perfect fit next to Andrew. Cook is a real RB, and is a threat to take it house every time he touches the ball. I don't care about the off-field nonsense. I watched the FSU Doc on Showtime, and Cook was a leader and a good kid. Cook could have been Luck's Zeke Elliott. Instead of taking the guaranteed franchise RB, we take a Safety with a lot of question marks. I know our defense stinks, and Safety was certainly a need, but you have to be able to run the football to win playoff games. A stud RB guaranteed to take pressure off Luck, or a Safety that is far from a sure thing? I'm taking the RB to help out my franchise QB

The O-Line isn`t fixed yet. Go there 1st.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

I'm hoping we don't draft a guy who punches women

Eh. I'm not too worried about that, considering violence of the sport. I don't condone hitting women but he owned up to it and is very talented.  

2 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Eh. I'm not too worried about that, considering violence of the sport. I don't condone hitting women but he owned up to it and is very talented.  

He owned up to something caught on video.   What a stand up guy..

The Colts bagged a player 90% of people had as a top 6 pick on the defensive side of the ball without having to trade up for him.

But no, we should definitely have gone for the RB with a shoulder issue instead. smh.

Also, last time I checked, all of him, Kamara and Mixon are all still available, so cool your jets.

3 hours ago, Surge89 said:

I have never understood the obsession with Cook on this forum or in general.  He has no vision.  Almost every "highlight" run he has is him running really fast in a line around the corner.  No move to break space, no cut in and out, complete disregard for blocking and usually not touched at all by an opposing player.  That screams a bad pick all day every day.  His biggest issue in the pro's is that he will be given the edge of a defense maybe 2% of his carries and when he is given that edge he will be met by athletes that are just as fast as him so he won't be able to break.  I'm not drafting a RB in the first 4 rounds that can only be counted on for less than 2% of his carries. 

Fournette, McCaffree, Mixon, Foreman, Kamara, Hunt are all better more complete backs than Cook.   It honestly isn't even remotely close.  They all have proven they can actually do things that NFL running backs do.  They may not be able to do them all but they can at least do one or 2.  Cook has proven nothing but that he can run in a straight line and around the oline when the defense moves out of his way...

In no way am I saying he can't learn those things.  But he hasn't shown them yet (or very little)  and is in a class full of backs who have shown.  All of this without touching the fact that he has a terrible off the field reputation, questionable decision making, and terrible workout times...

I've never wanted the Colts to select Dalvin Cook. With that said, he doesn't have bad vision. He has very good vision. And very good short area quickness.  His negatives are fumbles and shoulder injuries. 

3 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I've never wanted the Colts to select Dalvin Cook. With that said, he doesn't have bad vision. He has very good vision. And very good short area quickness.  His negatives are fumbles and shoulder injuries. 

I have never seen "good" vision from him.  It's almost always head to sideline and run up.  If there is no one there it is a touchdown.  If there is he is usually stopped.  His short area quickness is a strength no disagreement.   Good vision to me is being able to see holes as or before they appear and hitting the hole with a plan for the next movement.  He has never had to run between any tackles and when he does, talk about underwhelming.  

But everyone see's things differently. 

Just now, Surge89 said:

I have never seen "good" vision from him.  It's almost always head to sideline and run up.  If there is no one there it is a touchdown.  If there is he is usually stopped.  His short area quickness is a strength no disagreement.   Good vision to me is being able to see holes as or before they appear and hitting the hole with a plan for the next movement.  He has never had to run between any tackles and when he does, talk about underwhelming.  

But everyone see's things differently. 

Yessir.

I hope we don't draft a RB in rounds 2 or 3 today.  

13 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Luck needs to be paired with a stud RB to take pressure off him. Besides Bradshaw for a few games, Luck has not had good RB's. Cook would have been a perfect fit next to Andrew. Cook is a real RB, and is a threat to take it house every time he touches the ball. I don't care about the off-field nonsense. I watched the FSU Doc on Showtime, and Cook was a leader and a good kid. Cook could have been Luck's Zeke Elliott. Instead of taking the guaranteed franchise RB, we take a Safety with a lot of question marks. I know our defense stinks, and Safety was certainly a need, but you have to be able to run the football to win playoff games. A stud RB guaranteed to take pressure off Luck, or a Safety that is far from a sure thing? I'm taking the RB to help out my franchise QB

You cant pass up a talent like Hooker we did that 2 years ago when we messed up and drafted Dorsett with a number of really good defensive talent still available.

5 hours ago, Shive said:

Not rumors...he was arrested multiple times:

2009 - Arrested and charged with robbery (charges dropped)

2010 - Arrested and charged with firing a weapon & possession of a weapon at an event on school property (charges dropped)

2014 - Arrested and charged with criminal mischief shooting out car windows with a BB gun (charges dropped)

2014 - Cited for a violation of animal care (had 3 pitpull puppies chained up in the yard with chains so heavy, they could hardly stand)

2015 - Arrested and charged with assault for punching a woman multiple times in the face (found not guilty)

Not being convicted does not mean he was innocent. If it was just one of the incidents, you could argue that it's just a one-time thing, but all of them together paint a picture of poor decision making and never being held accountable for his actions, which would really scare me as a GM. I'd actually feel better drafting Mixon than Cook, because at least he has been put through the ringer & held responsible for his actions. Cook has not.

Add in the shoulder injury and pedestrian combine...there's a reason he hasn't been drafted yet. Luckily, this is a really deep RB class and are some really talented RB's left in the next couple of rounds.

Correct. The Giants didn't have enough cap room to make enough of an offer to Hankins. They REALLY wanted him back though.

In this country, you are innocent until proven guilty. Cook has not been found guilty of any of these charges. They are meaningless to bring up. Also, these incidents happened years ago. People change and learn from mistakes. Kind of silly to hold him accountable for a possible crime committed when he was 15

An article about why Dalvin Cook fell:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/4/28/15470900/dalvin-cook-nfl-draft-second-round

I think Ted Thompson drafts him for the Packers right off the bat, I can clearly see that happening. Cook is better than any RB they have, IMO, and once Lacy left, Rodgers would have to bear more of a burden on his arm without much help on the ground.

7 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

A great running back doesn't cover up the problems you have on the oline. I just wish some on here would understand how important having a dominant oline is. Zeke Elliot ran behind the best oline in football. Let's fix our line before getting a RB of any kind shall we?

of you think from last year that our oline is solid then you don't know what a good oline looks like. Oline was injured all year, and barely showed us anything when healthy. To me, it's like watching green and saying you've seen enough to know everything will be good at safety. 

I saw some analysis today that suggested that the colts line/running backs were pretty good already given the opportunities they received. 

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

He owned up to something caught on video.   What a stand up guy..

Everybody deserves a 2nd chance buddy. You would want the same if you ever messed up with anything. As Humans, we deserve more than 1 screw up before being written off. 

Just now, Stoney said:

Everybody deserves a 2nd chance buddy. You would want the same if you ever messed up with anything. As Humans, we deserve more than 1 screw up before being written off. 

Punching a woman in the face  isn't a screw up.    

5 hours ago, jet1968 said:

Colts should have taken a defensive player in the first and they did. 

They need defense in the second.

they need defense in the third. 

Amen. Someone is talking sense here. A CB is badly needed and there is a plethora of good ones (first round talents in any other year) in the second round. Or an Edge rusher. Either way, D is the need. Don't even talk to me about an offensive player until the 4th round. 

5 hours ago, Surge89 said:

Cook isn't touched by defenders because he is too fast. I don't really know if he is a "grind it out" type of RB that wears out defenses. What he is, is a big play RB, that is a threat to take it house every single carry. This is what our offense is missing, a threat to score from the RB position. Frank Gore has no chance of breaking a long run. He is old and slow. Luck already has to do everything, we don't need Luck to continue being our best RB from the QB position. 

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm hoping we don't draft a guy who punches women

Not excusing him one bit but you've probably rooted for dozens if not hundreds of guys who hit women.  Only difference is his is on tape and you know about it.  A kid makes a mistake at 18 or 19 years old I can get over that.  Now if he has a checkered history with it or if he did it multiple times afterwards then I'd be wary.

25 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Not excusing him one bit but you've probably rooted for dozens if not hundreds of guys who hit women.  Only difference is his is on tape and you know about it.  A kid makes a mistake at 18 or 19 years old I can get over that.  Now if he has a checkered history with it or if he did it multiple times afterwards then I'd be wary.

He tore up a parking ticket and threw it in the face of the woman that wrote it,  Then inched his car toward her because she wouldn't move..

That was last year.