Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hankins visited Colts today (merge)

bertjones7

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, masnerj said:

I think what happened probably was that we are in serious talks with him about signing him (knowing Ballard, probably a reasonable one-year deal with like upto 7-8 million or something) and that he took that seriously but didn't sign because he wants to go back to the Giants with that deal and try to renegotiate. 

At the beginning of free agency, it is very common for someone to visit one place and then sign right then and there before visiting another place because teams are putting their full foot forward. At this stage in the game, for a guy like Hankins, it is not surprising at all that he visits and leaves without a deal. For him, he is trying to maximize his value and he doesn't do that by simply signing with us immediately after visiting. 

I think our chances at getting him are 30-40%. Look for a one year deal if he signs with us. If he signs with the Giants, it will either be a one year deal greater than the Colts or he just basically gave in and accepted the long term deal. 

I don't think he signs a one year deal. His agent is trying to get him a big contract with lots of security. He is probably looking at a high number for multiple years and that is the problem 

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Hankins is just using teams for leverage with the Giants.

That is what I am thinking also. was reported only the Dolphins and Giants were the only teams interested in him, with a 3rd team being the mystery team which as we all found out is the Colts. But the contract he wants, is to high and no one is going to pay it. maybe with the exception of the Giants. but even then, it doesn't look like they are even willing to pay what he wants, or he would be signed already. He needs to just suck it up for a year, sign a 1 yr deal at like 5 or 6 million and try to prove he is as good as he thinks he is. 

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

I don't think he signs a one year deal. His agent is trying to get him a big contract with lots of security. He is probably looking at a high number for multiple years and that is the problem 

the last I saw he was wanting 10+ mil. a year. he Isn't going to get that. 

10 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8433/johnathan-hankins

looks like Colts unwilling to meet his asking price per Indy Star.

That's disappointing. What was the point of the visit if the Colts aren't willing to meet his asking price. I could see that being the case early in the offseason...but at this point his demands should be well known.

The Colts and MIA seem to be doing the NYG a big favor. If he re-signs with the NYG for a few million on a one-year deal, like Brown did with WAS, I will be curious why something couldn't get done. 

What a Surprise. The NFL's version of the Miami Marlins won't pay up to sign a above average player.

Why do the colts bother wasting their time along with the players time?

Soon lots of players won't even bother meeting with Ballard because they doubt they will get $ they are looking for.

Indy isn't the most attractive place to play. The colts need to over pay to sign players NOT  be thrifty.

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

Stampede Blue @StampedeBlue

Report: Deal between Colts, Johnathan Hankins "does not appear likely" https://t.co/ESImLi7NXC

4/12/2017, 4:25:55 PM

There is obviously more to this story than is being reported....if he balked at Indy's offer and that is "if"....then let the Giants pay him.  I am looking forward to the draft right now and this was just a distraction, lol!

So disappointed in CB with this one. We get it you dont want to over spend or get trapped in long term contracts, but for F sakes man you dont build your castle with sticks and mud!!! Stop penny saving and nickle and diming and improve this dam roster. Who knows what FA is going to look like next year, who knows who we could even bring in for a visit. We had a chance to sign one of the better FAs for a more then reasonable deal I'm sure but CBs too worried about not repeating Ryan Grigsons mistakes. Terrible NT class in the draft, this will be a huge problem next year. God another year of David Parry getting punked hahaha

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Will you still feel this way if we finish last in our division?

I personally will. I don't want the GM overpaying players out of a sense of desperation. I mostly disagree with everything you posted in that previous post, and the point is that good teams build through the draft. They don't overpay two down run defenders a month into free agency.

There's something going on with Hankins, and I'd just as soon rather not be mixed up in it. 

1 minute ago, indyagent17 said:

I can appreciate Ballard NOT overpaying for a guy. it would have been easy for him to give him a big deal and look good but he holds his ground and that is very encouraging

Idk how this is encouraging. Forget the fact that the guy would've helped our football Team, it shows how tight CB really is with this money. I'm hoping that he's just playing it safe his 1st year, but he crapped the bed with this one. We knew Hankins asking price, we brought him in for a visit, and we still low ball? 

6 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

yep, overpaying for players has NOT worked well and there is a reason he is not signed yet, he is asking too much or his demands are unreasonable. If Hankins not being here is the main reason we finish last in the division then that's highly debatable 

4 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Idk how this is encouraging. Forget the fact that the guy would've helped our football Team, it shows how tight CB really is with this money. I'm hoping that he's just playing it safe his 1st year, but he crapped the bed with this one. We knew Hankins asking price, we brought him in for a visit, and we still low ball? 

You don't know what happened, or why. 

11 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

We've been headed there inevitably anyway. This roster is not a quick fix.  Hankins isn't some transcendent player, he's merely ok. You don't overpay for average, that's how you get a roster full of Trent Coles.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I personally will. I don't want the GM overpaying players out of a sense of desperation. I mostly disagree with everything you posted in that previous post, and the point is that good teams build through the draft. They don't overpay two down run defenders a month into free agency.

There's something going on with Hankins, and I'd just as soon rather not be mixed up in it. 

How is 6-8 mil over paying Hankins? Before FA started that was his value, he's hurt his stock by being greedy but he's still worth somewhere in between. God I hate That excuse, "good teams build through the draft." Good teams improve their roster any way any how and by any means. Hankins has pass rush ability, you reading to much into PFF statistics last year I'm sure. Hankins will be had for a bargain price and we will be sorry

Linval Joseph (ironically signed from the Giants) is pretty much the only big money interior lineman who has been worth the contract he got in FA and switched teams.

Free agency can be very useful tool but pretty much every SB-caliber teams foundation is built through the draft. I'd rather use free agency (as in going after bigger fishes) after we've gotten some young foundational pieces on defense. Until then, I'd prefer to carry over cap space. Would be more left when we really want to use it for pieceor two to complete the roster.

Hankins is not going to be difference between finishing dead last in the dvision and being a really good football team. There will come more Hankins-level players in future FAs. Though hopefully we'll find those at the draft.

Just now, Tmoney said:

How is 6-8 mil over paying Hankins? Before FA started that was his value, he's hurt his stock by being greedy but he's still worth somewhere in between. God I hate That excuse, "good teams build through the draft." Good teams improve their roster any way any how and by any means. Hankins has pass rush ability, you reading to much into PFF statistics last year I'm sure. Hankins will be had for a bargain price and we will be sorry

How do you know they didn't offer him $6-8m?

How do you know they didn't talk about $6-8m, but then showed up and demanded $10m?

How do you know they didn't have an agreement in principle, but he failed his physical?

How do you know he didn't show up two hours late to their meeting?

I'll say again, you don't know what happened, or why.

Good teams do build through the draft, without exception. Teams that are close to SB contention reach out for big players in free agency with success, but that's only after they already have a strong core in place. 

And Hankins is VERY limited as a pass rusher, and would be most beneficial on early downs, not sub packages. I have no problem with him in that role, based on what I know, but I'm not interested in seeing the Colts bow to his demands without regard for market value.

I'm already sorry we didn't sign Bennie Logan. But I'm over it. 

14 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

yep, overpaying for players has NOT worked well and there is a reason he is not signed yet, he is asking too much or his demands are unreasonable. If Hankins not being here is the main reason we finish last in the division then that's highly debatable 

It's telling that the Giants were willing to pay handsomely for a run stuffer in Damon Harrison.....Hankins not so much.

Just now, Finball said:

Linval Joseph (ironically signed from the Giants) is pretty much the only big money interior lineman who has been worth the contract he got in FA and switched teams.

Free agency can be very useful tool but pretty much every SB-caliber teams foundation is built through the draft. I'd rather use free agency (as in going after bigger fishes) after we've gotten some young foundational pieces on defense. Until then, I'd prefer to carry over cap space. Would be more left when we really want to use it for pieceor two to complete the roster.

Damon Harrison too. But if we do let all 30 mil roll over next year, how much of that actually becomes usable cap space? Is it a percentage of it or does all 30 roll over? If that's the case then I'm cool with saving, but if we lose a percentage then what's the point.

1 minute ago, Tmoney said:

Damon Harrison too. But if we do let all 30 mil roll over next year, how much of that actually becomes usable cap space? Is it a percentage of it or does all 30 roll over? If that's the case then I'm cool with saving, but if we lose a percentage then what's the point.

You don't lose any of it, Chris Ballard.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

How do you know they didn't talk about $6-8m, but then showed up and demanded $10m?

How do you know they didn't have an agreement in principle, but he failed his physical?

Good teams do build through the draft, without exception. Teams that are close to SB contention reach out for big players in free agency with success, but that's only after they already have a strong core in place. 

And Hankins is VERY limited as a pass rusher, and would be most beneficial on early downs, not sub packages. I have no problem with him in that role, based on what I know, but I'm not interested in seeing the Colts bow to his demands without regard for market value.

^^^ Botta bing botta BOOM!!! Nailed it again Supe!!!

28 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

I'm pretty sure we can add Harrison to that list soon but so far he's had only 1 (really) good year. Not worth the money yet though he'll likely be that.

As Superman said, every penny can be rolled over. But by the time season is over, it will probably be closer to 15M than 30M.

23 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Who says Hankins is even willing to sign for 6-8 million at this point?  It would seem that he is running out of options, but he also knows there are several teams left with huge amounts of cap space.....  

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Bennie would've been Nice:(

Any of those scenarios could've happened but more then likely it was much simpler. There's no formula to building a team, its not a cookie cutter process. Every team does it there own way, many have success building through the draft and then just keeping there own. When your GM shizz the bed with 3 1st round picks in a row its really hard to just rely on building through the draft. The money is there because we have no young players getting max contracts and none on the horizon coming up. Hankins hasn't been very productive as a pass rusher the past 2 years I'll give u that, 2014 had 7 sacks which is very impressive.