Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hankins visited Colts today (merge)

bertjones7

Just now, Tmoney said:

I've seen those stories didn't give them a read but I'll take your word. I guess its so hard for me to believe because that is complete ignorance on his agents part. If they're stuck on 10 mil he won't even get signed

These are the guys behind the Redskins/LaVarr Arrington Contract dispute from 2003, in which the agents didnt even read the contract that they had their player sign, only to find out that the Redskins failed to include a $6.5M bonus on the contract. This lead to one of the top agents (and the brother of Hankins agent) being suspended by the NFLPA for 2 years for negligence. Doesnt get much more ignorant than that my friend. 

There is a reason they went from dozens of players, and several high profile guys (Charles Woodson, Orlando Pace, Kellen Winslow just to name a few), to reportedly only representing 4 current NFL players (soon to be 5 as they just roped in CB Jourdan Lewis). The real thing that should be hard to believe is that Hankins chose to be represented by these guys and is still sticking with them. 

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NY Post is now reporting that the offer from the Giants that is currently on the table for Hankins is 4yrs. 28mil.  He started out in FA asking for 15mil per year then dropped to 10mil.  Giants can pull the offer at any time.  Wonder what we are offering?   Decision time coming?

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

This situation is starting to give Hankins the reputation of caring about a few more dollars than anything else.  Most players his age are concerned about building a career, and picking a team that he can play well with enhances a players career more than anything.

If he is picking a team based upon the absolute most dollars he can get in this current contract, than he is thinking about cashing in on a career that he feels might be short term.  If I was a GM, I'd be concerned about that.

I understand injury and wanting some guaranteed money, but a 25 year old player has to think about which team would provide him the best opportunity to play well because it also has a huge impact on the amount of total dollars a player can earn over an entire career. 

Yea him and his agent are coming off a bit shady. Dam is he talented tho

2 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

So do you think the agents around the league plays by this rule, this year especially?

I'm confused...... No, I think Hankins' agents are losing it, not only with him, but other clients the last few years....  I also think it's a monkey-see monkey-do scenario, if one guy takes a 1 yr prove it deal and thinks he'll cash in big, others are tempted to go the same route if they can't get perceived value this year....

2 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

These are the guys behind the Redskins/LaVarr Arrington Contract dispute from 2003, in which the agents didnt even read the contract that they had their player sign, only to find out that the Redskins failed to include a $6.5M bonus on the contract. This lead to one of the top agents (and the brother of Hankins agent) being suspended by the NFLPA for 2 years for negligence. Doesnt get much more ignorant than that my friend. 

There is a reason they went from dozens of players, and several high profile guys (Charles Woodson, Orlando Pace, Kellen Winslow just to name a few), to reportedly only representing 4 current NFL players (soon to be 5 as they just roped in CB Jourdan Lewis). The real thing that should be hard to believe is that Hankins chose to be represented by these guys and is still sticking with them. 

Hahaha woww that's hilarious!! They have 4 players hahaha!! That's unfortunate that they got Jordan Lewis tho hopefully he moves on after the domestic stuff passes.

4 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

What a Surprise. The NFL's version of the Miami Marlins won't pay up to sign a above average player.

Why do the colts bother wasting their time along with the players time?

Soon lots of players won't even bother meeting with Ballard because they doubt they will get $ they are looking for.

Indy isn't the most attractive place to play. The colts need to over pay to sign players NOT  be thrifty.

They might need to overpay for the right guy.     But clearly,  the Colts don't view Hankins as someone worth overpaying.

3 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Idk how this is encouraging. Forget the fact that the guy would've helped our football Team, it shows how tight CB really is with this money. I'm hoping that he's just playing it safe his 1st year, but he crapped the bed with this one. We knew Hankins asking price, we brought him in for a visit, and we still low ball? 

You have no idea that CB "crapped the bed with this one."    

That's just your hot-headed opinion based on nothing.

You don't know the details,  you have no idea what went on behind closed doors.

Clearly Ballard and Irsay don't think Hankins is worth overpaying.    

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The NY Post is now reporting that the offer from the Giants that is currently on the table for Hankins is 4yrs. 28mil.  He started out in FA asking for 15mil per year then dropped to 10mil.  Giants can pull the offer at any time.  Wonder what we are offering?   Decision time coming?

Dayyyum really???? Man F this guy

3 hours ago, bananabucket said:

And the Ballard apologists rush to defend him yet again.

Yes maybe he'll turn the team around eventually but it will be DESPITE this joke of an offseason.  He better knock the draft out of the freakin park,

The Colts were never going to fix all their problems in one off-season.    Any reasonable person would be able to see that.

The Colts have decided not to overpay a guy who they don't see as a difference maker.

All you're doing is setting yourself up for disappointment......

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You have no idea that CB "crapped the bed with this one."    

That's just your hot-headed opinion based on nothing.

You don't know the details,  you have no idea what went on behind closed doors.

Clearly Ballard and Irsay don't think Hankins is worth overpaying.    

Well I know a lot more now then when I posted that. I really had no clue at all. This * is still asking for 10 mil, he started at 15 mil!!!!!! That's something nobody knew tho

1 hour ago, Tmoney said:

We could ignore it all we want but in reality we have one of the worst rosters in the league. How many drafts are we willing to wait before we can field a competitive team. I dont think its desperate at all to add a few building pieces through FA when your a team with more then enough resources and too many needs to fill through 2-3 drafts. I'm not saying over pay anyone but with the lack of activity Hankins has I feel, yes I'm speculating, he could've been had for a reasonable deal like 1 year 8 mil. 

You've posted so much,  I don't think you know what you've written.     You've been saying overpay Hankins for most of this thread.     Hankins is a month into free agency and he's barely had a nibble.     The person who screwed this up is his agent,  not Ballard.

Perhaps 8 Mill a year is far more than he's worth.     Doesn't seem as if anyone else in the NFL thinks he's worth that.    

1 minute ago, Tmoney said:

Well I know a lot more now then when I posted that. I really had no clue at all. This * is still asking for 10 mil, he started at 15 mil!!!!!! That's something nobody knew tho

true, and damn, that's ridiculous demands, not sure I'd even want a guy around that thinks that highly of himself..... lol

8 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

I didnt know about the starting price of 15M, but I was still under the impression he was holding out for 10. Figured he started around 12M and was willing to settle for 10. 15M is just ridiculous for what you get from Hankins. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You've posted so much,  I don't think you know what you've written.     You've been saying overpay Hankins for most of this thread.     Hankins is a month into free agency and he's barely had a nibble.     The person who screwed this up is his agent,  not Ballard.

Perhaps 8 Mill a year is far more than he's worth.     Doesn't seem as if anyone else in the NFL thinks he's worth that.    

Never did I say over pay anybody #1. #2 light has been shed on the situation since I wrote those but go ahead and read through all my posts makes me feel special. And #3 he's still at 10 mil, he has an 8 mil offer from NY already.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Probably, perhaps even  maybe he wanted to see if the colts would give him a bigger offer than the giants.    Have you never negotiated your wages before?

Who's to say he didn't get offered a better deal elsewhere? We just don't know what exactly happened

4 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Never did I say over pay anybody #1. #2 light has been shed on the situation since I wrote those but go ahead and read through all my posts makes me feel special. And #3 he's still at 10 mil, he has an 8 mil offer from NY already.

He REPORTEDLY has that.      That doesn't make it fact.

There,   I fixed it for you.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He REPORTEDLY has that.      That doesn't make it fact.

There,   I fixed it for you.

He also REPORTEDLY left Indy without a deal......as far as we know the inks drying and he's picking his # right now!!!!

6 hours ago, Deadpool said:

the last I saw he was wanting 10+ mil. a year. he Isn't going to get that. 

Exactly. I think the giants are probably offering around 3 yr/21 million. We probably offered something similar. If we were gonna give big money to a NT. We would have given it to Poe. 

I will say that CB's approach is different than what we are used to and that isn't necessarily bad.

The one thing I think we all got spoiled with (and maybe one of the the only good things about that regime) was that when Grigson brought a guy in, he closed. It was rare that we brought in a guy or expressed actual interest in a guy and then didn't get them to sign on the dotted line.

Now clearly most of the guys we inked back then did not live up to expectations.

But, I will say that I was impressed w how most of those signings were structured in a way that it did not hurt us cap-wise. Think of all of the swings and misses and yet we are in a great cap situation now and even moving forward (even w Luck's big extension and T.Y.'s extension).

I'll speak for myself in saying that my biggest disappointment this off-season has nothing to do w who we have and have not gone after. I am more-so disappointed that we have not closed as successfully on guys this year as we have in the past.

Hopefully in that regard alone this year is an anomaly.

People need to realize, just because a player leaves without a deal, it doesn't mean the GM got burned, or that it was his fault for not being able to lure the free agent in.

Sometimes, the GM just isn't willing to throw the boat at a guy he doesn't think will match up to the contract he's asking.

Could be, pretty weird to take a visit from a team you have no interest in signing with tho.

3 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

That is a poor excuse if he really didn't want to be here then he wouldn't have came for a meeting

Its called leverage ...a bargaining chip. How many teams did Hightower visit before re-signing with the pats? this kind of thing happens all...the...time so no, tmoney theres nothinf weird about it and Va you are simply wrong

On April 11, 2017 at 4:18 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Wendy's burgers rock though, they should've changed their fries years ago.

Did this thread just turn into the food network?  Wendy's square meat patties are pretty tasty though. 

On April 11, 2017 at 4:20 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

They have a loaded baked potato that's a meal in itself. It's a decent trade-off for mediocre fries, but I agree their french fry game needs some work.

Okay, to be more precise, the fast food critique corner then...

On April 11, 2017 at 4:41 PM, Buck Showalter said:

mmmm...fresh Rally fries are pretty hard to beat for fast food fries ...

Alright, now you guys are making me hungry. 

On April 11, 2017 at 7:20 PM, buccolts said:

Culver's is no slouch. 

Yes, I agree BC. Culvers is a solid restaurant chain as well. 

30 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

People need to realize, just because a player leaves without a deal, it doesn't mean the GM got burned, or that it was his fault for not being able to lure the free agent in.

Sometimes, the GM just isn't willing to throw the boat at a guy he doesn't think will match up to the contract he's asking.

Yeah, I like your post here NB. Most of us really have no idea how difficult it is to sign a guy. Sure, we can claim how we would have sealed the deal, but if an athlete doesn't wanna sign with your club after the great facilities, motivated owner, culture of winning sales pitch, there really isn't much else a GM can do. 

Off Topic: Alright, SW1 needs to start looking at mock draft selections for INDY now. I'm always curious to see what NCF, the Peytonator, krunk, Jared, CF12; Dustin, Superman, Jvan, Jules, CBE, & others much more skilled at draft navigation then I am come up with...

I don't know if you saw it, but there are reports that Hankins wants 15(FIFTEEN!!!!!!) million per year. Giants have offered 28M for 4 years.

There is a reason he's still unsigned. I wanted Hankins a lot, but that's not a price you pay for a NT.

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't know if you saw it, but there are reports that Hankins wants 15(FIFTEEN!!!!!!) million per year. Giants have offered 28M for 4 years.

There is a reason he's still unsigned. I wanted Hankins a lot, but that's not a price you pay for a NT.

I don't have a problem with the price,  if he's clearly worth it.      And by the looks of things,  all 32 NFL GM's have voted and NONE OF THEM think Hankins is worth the money.      The free market has spoken for a month and Hankins is still without a job.

Every time you wrote "Pay Hankins $8 Mill a year, that's what he's worth"   you were encouraging the Colts to over-pay.      The market says he's not worth that.     Not a single NFL team has offered him that.     You just thought it was a reasonable number.     So you decided that you were right and Ballard was wrong.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Every time you wrote "Pay Hankins $8 Mill a year, that's what he's worth"   you were encouraging the Colts to over-pay.      The market says he's not worth that.     Not a single NFL team has offered him that.     You just thought it was a reasonable number.     So you decided that you were right and Ballard was wrong.

Not a single NFL team has the lack of talent the Colts have on defense either . Clock is ticking on Lucks prime too. They need to get busy . 

13 hours ago, bananabucket said:

And the Ballard apologists rush to defend him yet again.

Yes maybe he'll turn the team around eventually but it will be DESPITE this joke of an offseason.  He better knock the draft out of the freakin park,

Why do you and so many others think we can fix this awful roster in one season? The FA was not even that good this year all the great players were extended and the decent and good players we're overpaid. I honestky coukd care less if we cone out and sick this year cause I understand Ballard has his hands full fixing that * mess.

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Why do you and so many others think we can fix this awful roster in one season? The FA was not even that good this year all the great players were extended and the decent and good players we're overpaid. I honestky coukd care less if we cone out and sick this year cause I understand Ballard has his hands full fixing that * mess.

Looks like you're not expecting a winning season this year with our rebuilding roster.  I will be curious to see if you remember this statement when the bullets start flying this Fall.  You just said the roster is a * mess.  Ballard will have his hands full fixing it and coach will have his hands full coaching it.  

20 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Looks like you're not expecting a winning season this year with our rebuilding roster.  I will be curious to see if you remember this statement when the bullets start flying this Fall.  You just said the roster is a * mess.  Ballard will have his hands full fixing it and coach will have his hands full coaching it.  

He doesn't know how to be any other way.  LOL

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

If we suck chuck will get canned that would be fantastic news!!!

The teams that tend to be the most successful build through the draft and supplement with FAs.  We aren't at a point where we can supplement with FAs.  A few years ago everyone - including players - thought that was where we were so guys were willing to sign with the Colts.  

Ballard is right in not jumping on any guy that looks like he might help.  He also said the guy has to fit into the locker room too.  If a guy is overpaid and doesn't produce or has a bad attitude he can do a lot more damage than just a cap hit.

This will not happen over night.