Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts had a private workout with Tim Williams

5 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Don't have a problem with it if it's not in the 1st round. Can't afford to risk that pick on someone who failed that many drug tests in college.

Private workouts generally don't mean much though.

And I think he was coddled at Alabama. Failed multiple drug tests but never got suspended. Noah Spence got dismissed from OSU after his 2nd.

I wouldn't want a guy that failed to learn his lesson each time. He's Randy Gregory IMO.

1 hour ago, JRnINDY said:

Best pure pass rusher in the draft. Last time I checked the Colts could use a pass rusher, I would love for us to draft him.

That's debatable, but if he's there in the 3rd, I'd give him major consideration. I think he's overhyped and don't believe he's a top 64 talent, but I'm sure there are some teams who believe he's a top 50-60 player.

28 minutes ago, FalseStart said:

The slide with Alabama defensive players has been happening. Last year everyone had Robinson, Reed, and Ragland as 1st rounders. They all fell to the 2nd round. They're all injured and somewhat overrated. Howard will be the 1st Crimson Tide player taken.

My takeaway from the article? 

"If he's failing tests at 'Bama, he's probably going to fail tests in the NFL," an anonymous scout told Bleacher Report's Matt Miller. "These things have a way of sticking around."

Another scouts take on Williams (beside elite talent)-

"Williams is a Randy Gregory type off the field situation.
The concern would be that while Saban keeps close reign on his players, guys with off field issues that enter the league usually get worse when they have more money at their dispersal."

So where is Randy Gregory now you ask?

"Gregory is effectively banned from the league until he is reinstated by the NFL. The earliest he can apply for reinstatement is November 6, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on NFL Network's Up to the Minute Live.

This marks Gregory's third suspension in the last year. He previously served a four-game suspension to start the 2016 season for his first substance abuse violation and served an additional 10-game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy for a second time. He also failed the drug test at the NFL Scouting Combine."

4 hours ago, Superman said:

"WE ALL IN ON TIM WILLIAMS YALL!"

Man I've always respected you and your knowledge of the game more than about any other poster bro. But what's up with you giving me all this hell? I'll always respect your knowledge of the game, but otherwise It's making me lose the respect I have for you in general. I just want a great team by any means necessary. And btw Tim Williams has superstar potential. Everyone (every poster) isn't the same Supe.

So you weren't very exuberant about signing at least 3 big names during the FA opening period?  I mean, those expectations were quite high, especially knowing Ballard wants to grow his own and keep the best of the bunch on contract.  But he knew our old defense needed  more than a draft could handle.  So he brought in 10 FA's to add competition to the mix.

Knowing Sups, he isn't trying to be personal or give you hell, maybe just having a little fun with your very optimistic outtakes.

I'll wager Ballard does Not_Bring_In 10 FA's next year...

Tim Williams is the next member of the I'm banned from the NFL.  Move over Josh Gordon and Randy Gregory...

5 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Man I've always respected you and your knowledge of the game more than about any other poster bro. But what's up with you giving me all this hell? I'll always respect your knowledge of the game, but otherwise It's making me lose the respect I have for you in general. I just want a great team by any means necessary. And btw Tim Williams has superstar potential. Everyone (every poster) isn't the same Supe.

When you say things like this you become a target. Yes its your opinion but its not common and really not well justified. Tim is one dimensional and a poorer athlete then we all thought. Add the drug and weapon stuff and I just can't see how you come up with super star potential

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

doesnt mean much, but imagine we trade down and get harris and then williams in the second. hello pass rush

No doubt. 

I believe there is about 50/50 chance that some of these misguided youths will mature.  If there are legit concerns he could plummet like Burfict, however Williams' off-field character concerns could also be used as a smoke-screen by some.  At the end of the day if CB approves I will support his decision.

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

If he's  going to be the NEXT Randy Gregory, why did all these teams, incuding our Colts, have a private workout with him???

Seems like a waste of time and effort on someone who will fail his first drug test and be suspended for life. Lol

Because it is not guaranteed he will.  Just likely.  Ballard personally met with Marcus Peters and his family before the draft.  Here was Peters issue getting dismissed form the University of Wahington-

" From speaking with several scouts familiar with Peters and his interaction with the Washington coaches, I've been told that the dismissal stems from his inability to get along with coaches and team officials. Peters reportedly has a strong personality and didn't mind challenging authority about various situations on and off the field."

Afterward, Ballard told the Chiefs FO Peters would not be a problem on the squad.  Peters has two pro bowls, and First Team  All Pro 2016 in his two seasons.

Supposedly, MJ is not addictive, but addictive personalities don't seem to be able to drop it as necessary, as Gordon, Gregory, (who are both permanently banned from the NFL and must apply to the commissioner for any reinstatement) and others have proven.  A visit and workout in private will tell a lot.  But it is the intangibles that are most sought out here.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

doesnt mean much, but imagine we trade down and get harris and then williams in the second. hello pass rush

Unless William's can't control his weed habit.  Then it is when will his 4 game suspension come?  Then when will his 10 game suspension come?  finally, when will the permanent ban come? (he could then re-apply to Goodell after one full year elapses).

Teams that are mostly drafting for depth and could afford to lose a top round pick to substance abuse will have him on their board high up, others much lower, or maybe not even at all if they don't trust him.

I still find in incredible guys get popped for smoking in the NFL.  You get tested once in the off season (if you are NOT already in the substance abuse program!) and the player often knows it is upcoming (and can prepare- IE: not smoke!!).  Once the first game is played, there are still random drug tests, but these are for PED's, not cannabis.  So players game smoke it up for pain killing effect and avoid opioids all they want!  Just have to play the 'game', which is not hard for most.  But a few just can't (or won't) stop at the appropriate time,  and will pay the penalty in suspensions hurting their teams and maybe even forfeit their football career.

19 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

You have brought it on yourself.  

20 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Probably better to laugh at yourself a little.  It was pretty funny.

20 hours ago, Tmoney said:

When you say things like this you become a target. Yes its your opinion but its not common and really not well justified. Tim is one dimensional and a poorer athlete then we all thought. Add the drug and weapon stuff and I just can't see how you come up with super star potential

He's got elite pass rush ability. How could you deny that ?

6 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

You have brought it on yourself.  

Yeah I know because I want a dominant team by any means necessary that's so bad right? LOL. I've brought it on myself by saying with an elite QB you CAN become a contender overnight. LOL. Quit buying into all the bull man.

11 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

He's got elite pass rush ability. How could you deny that ?

He has pass rush ability. Elite, ehhh I'd personally disagree because he's got a beautiful dip and rip and great outside/in "crossover" type move but that's it. He definitely can develop more but I'm not going to assume that. Lack of strength is really going to hurt him, he's not going to run by every T like he did in college. 

10 hours ago, Tmoney said:

he's not going to run by every T like he did in college. 

Yes, once speedy pass rushers come up against the better NFL left tackles, their game has largely been nullified (compared to college).  So they have to develop other methods.  For instance, Dwight Freeney's spin  move was devastating to those who thought he was going to continually speed rush around them. This allowed both moves to be effective, if the tackle has to be prepared for either.

Fsp1_zpswg6hn3qr.png

Fsp2_zpsfxkdgl2w.png

Fsp3_zpsl1rkh1ag.png

He would never made the sack with a pure outside speed rush, but his legendary spin move does. One trick piny speed rushers don't typically fare very well in the NFL, just flashes at times.

10 hours ago, Tmoney said:

He has pass rush ability. Elite, ehhh I'd personally disagree because he's got a beautiful dip and rip and great outside/in "crossover" type move but that's it. He definitely can develop more but I'm not going to assume that. Lack of strength is really going to hurt him, he's not going to run by every T like he did in college. 

Besides off-field stuff, which edge you like better?

14 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Yeah I know because I want a dominant team by any means necessary that's so bad right? LOL. I've brought it on myself by saying with an elite QB you CAN become a contender overnight. LOL. Quit buying into all the bull man.

You brought it on yourself with all the threads and posts making guarantees who the team was "ALL IN FOR"

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

You brought it on yourself with all the threads and posts making guarantees who the team was "ALL IN FOR"

I don't remember using the word guarantee bro. Yes. I thought we would for sure go after 2-3 high level players, as it made no sense not to.

16 hours ago, Tmoney said:

He has the tools, talent, and potential to put it all together and become a dominant EDGE rusher. Doesn't mean he will, just means he has the talent and tools as I said.

9 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yes, once speedy pass rushers come up against the better NFL left tackles, their game has largely been nullified (compared to college).  So they have to develop other methods.  For instance, Dwight Freeney's spin  move was devastating to those who thought he was going to continually speed rush around them. This allowed both moves to be effective, if the tackle has to be prepared for either.

Fsp1_zpswg6hn3qr.png

Fsp2_zpsfxkdgl2w.png

Fsp3_zpsl1rkh1ag.png

He would never made the sack with a pure outside speed rush, but his legendary spin move does. One trick piny speed rushers don't typically fare very well in the NFL, just flashes at times.

Baby come back, you can blame it all on me......I miss that guy!! And well said, just wish you had him in his Colts uni:(

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I don't remember using the word guarantee bro. Yes. I thought we would for sure go after 2-3 high level players, as it made no sense not to.

Do you really want me to drag the threads out where you guaranteed monster FA signings.  Where most of us told you we wouldn't be signing big money players and you laughed at that fact.  I can do that,  I have spare time

He has the tools, talent, and potential to put it all together and become a dominant EDGE rusher. Doesn't mean he will, just means he has the talent and tools as I said.

He was great at getting to the qb in college.   He wasn't great at stopping the run or in coverage

"Man you're trippin. I never guaranteed anything other than we'd bring in some big name players. It was the only logical thing to do, and I still we'll sign a Poe/Hankins/Hightower/Brown, etc"

:lol:

9 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Besides off-field stuff, which edge you like better?

I'll give you some guys with similar grades that I like better. Derek Rivers, TJ Watt, Tyus Bowser, Jo Jo Mathis, demarcus Walker, and Jordan Willis. Demarcus is probably more if a 5 tech and Bowser is probably an Will ILB but I still like them better