Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pats trade for Dwayne Allen [Merge]

backshoulderfade

1 minute ago, chrisfarley said:

say it aint so,,,, fleeced as some1 else said......dang --- pats know how to use TEs  --- they just got a lot better for no big draft pick loss -- they already have superbowl talent (depending on FA re-signs).... why make them better?

I liked Allen but Doyle is better IMO, mainly because Allen has trouble staying healthy. I like the fact we get another high Draft pick - we need to load up on Defense.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this trade is a win for both teams.

Allen is not a guy who the Colts were going to build around. Locking up Doyle made Allen expendable. Swoope showed some flashes last season too. They get a 4th round pick in what appears to be a good draft. This team needs younger players and Ballard wants to build through the draft. It makes sense.

It also makes sense for the Pats. I'm not as down on Allen as others even though I didn't view Allen as being worth his contract this past season. The Pats do a great job of utilizing players so I'm sure they will get the most out of Allen.

I wish DA well.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I liked Allen but Doyle is better IMO, mainly because Allen has trouble staying healthy. I like the fact we get another high Draft pick - we need to load up on Defense.

Yea, I know but this is hard.... Allen is class act

C6bY_p_UYAA_gYP.jpg

5 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Allen has actually shown promise in previous years. Dorsett has not.

Too bad Grigs isn't a GM anywhere maybe we could get our first back haha . I could see a GM falling in love with his potential and giving up more than what we feel he is worth .

4 minutes ago, dew5150 said:

So here's the list of ALL the picks we have for 2017....

1st round - 15th overall pick

2nd round - 46th overall pick

3rd round - 80th overall pick

4th round - 122nd overall pick

4th round - 137th overall pick

4th round - 144th overall pick (compensatory pick)

5th round - 158th overall pick

No 6th or 7th

Unless I'm mistaken we also have pick #233

4 minutes ago, dew5150 said:

No 6th or 7th

6 minutes ago, dew5150 said:

No 6th or 7th

Edited by coltsfansince65

I am 100% ok with this move, in fact I love it. 

Think about it this way: we essentially removed a kind of logjam and over spending at one position to increase depth and youth and talent in another (probably defense too!). Removing Allen was the right move for multiple reasons: saves us money down the line, essentially upgrades our 6th to a 4th (DEFENSE!!), AND it allows a player like Swoope more PT and more of a chance to make an impact. Jack Doyle will be our primary starting TE who will basically always be on the field blocking, receiving, etc but this also gives Swoope a chance to come in and get better and get more snaps. He flashed last year, lets see where it goes. And don't expect Ballard to simply leave us with two TEs, we could easily buy a cheap TE on the free agency or sign a UDFA!

Wow I stop paying attention for 2 hrs and we trade Allen away. 

Gotta hand it to CB, never thought in a million years wed be able to offload his terrible contract onto someone else. I was 100% resigned to seeing Allen as a colt for 2017. 

Guess we wont be seeing any fire CB threads anytime soon!!! 

Great start, now lets put that pick towards a new TE for the team!!

Good trade.... Allen lost a step and durability is an issue. Will not be as productive for the Pats will make Allen happy with the trade. For Colts, the TE position has two work horses that are committed and great locker room guys. Allen was too involved with outside activities and a huge mistake to get such a huge contract. Grigson really messed up! I can see coaching staff helping make this decision with Ballard. 

4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I dont mind if this is part of a plan to move up in the draft, but I would much rather have Allen than what is essentially a 5th round pick.

exactly.  Can't imagine what Dwayne thinks about that... he is classy and would never say anything but man, getting dished off for peanuts compared to TD production and potential for '17.  

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

I dont mind if this is part of a plan to move up in the draft, but I would much rather have Allen than what is essentially a 5th round pick.

That might be Ballard's plan, he probably isn't done yet. I like this deal though, Allen's contract was awful and we at least get a decent pick selection in the Draft for him. By re-signing Doyle (who is better IMO), it made Allen expendable. Allen had trouble staying healthy as well.

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep...but I see Ballards side of it.....that money is already gone...money spent and he had nothing to do with it nor is he on the hook for it. He isn't going to throw more good money after bad. He got Doyle back...we have Swoop under contract correct?? I mean we aren't desperate to have to draft a TE...even if we need to sign a couple....look at it this way and this should tell us a lot about the TE position in the NFL (imo). We spent a 2nd and 3rd rd pick on TE in 2012....and they have both been basically outplayed and replaced with two UDFAs essentially......I say sign a couple more...stash them away and let Luck turn them into super stars lol. Luck could be to TEs what Peyton was to Receivers....oh wait...Peyton turned TEs to pro bowlers too lol...nevermind.

I agree it was a bad contract...I don't think Allen demanded that much money last year. Not only was it a problem to draft two the same year very high in my opinion but then they both became free agents the same year too...and we lost leverage in that we felt we had to retain one of them. The fact that neither did enough to deserve an extension earlier speaks to both their inconsistencies. I'm glad we have moved on. I wish Allen good luck. So far Ballard gets a check plus from me and I hope the rest of his moves are as good. I like that he is bold and decisive and so far he has kept his word. Valued our players that have earned their money...and got rid of those that haven't lol.

We have Swoope cost controlled for at least two seasons, if I understand the rule correctly.

I get Ballard's side of it. Once the previous contract was done, that $11.5m was gone. No sense in sending good money after bad. I have little problem with the trade. 

I had beef with the contract a year ago, and this is why. We just paid an underwhelming performer $11.5m, then sent him to another team under a cost controlled structure. We're paying Doyle $6.33m/year, the Pats have Allen at $5.83m/year, because we already paid 40% of the contract. 

29 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

In order to trade Dorsett you have to have someone willing to give you something for him.

Garcon just got $16mil from San Fran. If Ballard wanted to trade Dorsett, he'd find someone that wants him. Come to think of it, New England sure does seem to like small, fast WRs.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

We have Swoope cost controlled for at least two seasons, if I understand the rule correctly.

I get Ballard's side of it. Once the previous contract was done, that $11.5m was gone. No sense in sending good money after bad. I have little problem with the trade. 

I had beef with the contract a year ago, and this is why. We just paid an underwhelming performer $11.5m, then sent him to another team under a cost controlled structure. We're paying Doyle $6.33m/year, the Pats have Allen at $5.83m/year, because we already paid 40% of the contract. 

I think Ballard is going to be cleaning up a lot of Grigson mistakes.  I wish that new deal hadn't been done too, but it was, the Colts paid the up front, and now it's clean up time.  Basically a 2-3 catch, 25 yard a game guy. With an injury history.  

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Oh definitely understand. That said I don't think we were going to get a better deal for Allen anytime down the line and I don't think we were necessarily going to get better play either. I don't like we lost our 6th but in the end I'm ok with the 4th. Clearly Grigson didn't forsee this issue happening....and thus why he isn't making the deals anymore.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Garcon just got $16mil from San Fran. If Ballard wanted to trade Dorsett, he'd find someone that wants him. Come to think of it, New England sure does seem to like small, fast WRs.

Dorsett for Jimmy G??? Sign me up lol

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Dorsett has lethal speed and if utilized right could do very well on certain teams. If we trade him for a high Draft pick I would ship him off to the NFC. Imagine him on the Cowboys for example. I bet he would do good there. Maybe we could get a 3rd or 4th for him?

5 minutes ago, jseg18 said:

I thought we might be in the mix for trade but I forgot about DA. Maybe, Ballard likes one of these TIght Ends in this years draft

I hope not. The two best TEs on our team were UDFA....I'm A-OK going down that route one more time or a veteran on a friendly deal. I just don't like expending picks in this draft (considering they are all pretty high now) on a TE. We can find a nice work truck beater TE after the draft especially since we just paid Doyle and we want to get Swoop more action. UDFA and stash him on the practice roster.