Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lets evaluate the current roster

CR91

Lets play GM and evaluate the current roster. I am going to create three categories, must keep, can do better, release. This is mostly for starters. Im not gonna mention guys like Charles james who no one has heard of. 

Must Keep

Andrew Luck

TY hilton

Dwayne Allen

Donte Moncrief

Henry Anderson

Vontae davis

Clayton Geathers

AC

Mewhort

Kelly

Haeg/clark

adam v

Patty Mac

Overton

Can do better

Gore

Dorsett

Doyle

Butler

Adams

robinson

Walden

Parry

Green

Ridgeway

Melvin

good

Haeg/clark

Reitz

Turbin

Zerr

Mcgill

Rogers

Swoope

Todman

edwin jackson

morrison

langford

Release

Djax

Jones

Now can do better doesnt mean im saying they need to be replaced. it is regulated to those who either still need to evaluated or players that are long at the tooth. Haeg/clark I list twice because only one I expect to be the starter. Haeg I see more as a plug in player especially in the interior of the line like joe reitz would do. I expect us to go after another guard in FA. Clark had a few good games at the end of the season, however there isnt enough game tape on him to say definitively he will be the starter at RT. Gore and adams have been really good for the colts, however their getting up there in age. green was brought in to replace adams as it would seem, however his rookie season was up and down. I still think him and geathers can be a really good combo in the future, but Im not sure green is ready to be a full time starter. gore has been a welcoming sign for us as he has given us a running game we havent seen in years, but not the game changer we need to get pressure off of luck. If it was up to me, I would let go of every LBer. that is the one position imo that completely needs to be remodeled. walden was really good last year, but hes getting into his thirties and his double digit sack season is not the kind of player he is. edwin jackson has some potential, but other that we need a lot of young talent infused into that position. Dline is interesting because we do have some talent. anderson and ridgeway I think can be really good bookends, its the middle that needs to be improved. Parry is a good player, but leaves a lot to be desired. Id prefer him more as a rotation player then a starter. Im gonna get heat for listing allen as a must keep instead of doyle. allen is a good talent. he can do everything as a TE. its the drops that really hurt him. dont get me wrong, i like doyle. its his asking price that worries me. i would not pay him more then 3 mil a year and im sure a team like the giants would pay him a lot more.

On 1/22/2017 at 0:17 PM, Shafty138 said:

you think Doyle needs to do better, or we need to do better than Doyle?  not sure I agree with either....  He was nothing, if not solid all year.

I explained my stand with doyle on the bottom

On 1/22/2017 at 0:25 PM, Shafty138 said:

yeah, I just don't think you can afford to let Doyle go over the diff between 3 and 4.5 a year or so....

it wouldnt surprised me if he got 7-8 mil. a team will overpay for him

I've been watching a lot of old colts games the last few weeks like the packers colts 2004 game steelers colts playoff game and the one big difference I see on the defensive side of the ball is the pass rush we had back then. We have never really had a great secondary have always got picked apart and run all over but that pass rush with freeney and Mathis and a few others was lethal and game changing. If we can find some good pash rushers I think this team can really turn things around.

Interesting game.

Keep:

Luck

Hilton, Moncrief, Rogers, Bray (KR/PR)

Doyle, Swoope

Castonzo, Mewhort, Kelly, Haeg, Clark, Reitz

Anderson, McGill, Ridgeway, Langford

Ayers, Morrison

Adams, Butler, Davis, Farley, Green, Morris, Melvin, Geathers

Everyone else can go.

4 minutes ago, MTC said:

Interesting game.

Keep:

Luck

Doyle, Swoope

Ayers, Morrison

Everyone else can go.

How do you list kickoff specalist without keeping vinny and patty?

I'll do my version later, but I wouldn't call Dwayne Allen a must keep. And I like some of our young pieces in Geathers, Ridgeway, Haeg, Kelly, Clark, and Anderson. 

This team primarily needs playmakers at LB and CB, and also a true NT wouldn't hurt. Add in some young talent at RB and you are starting to have something.

It would be more realistic and interesting if you included salary, cap hit, dead cap hits, etc.  i know this is difficult but balancing the budget is necessary.  Improvements at some positions, or releases don't always make fiscal sense.

Thats one positive about grigs, he didnt handicap long-term.  Most deals were cap friendly as far as releasing players that didnt work out.  Thank god. haha

6 hours ago, MTC said:

Interesting game.

Keep:

Luck

Doyle, Swoope

Ayers, Morrison

Everyone else can go.

Bray can go too, but I like your core list.  We better concentrate on LBs, through FA and the draft.  

11 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

It would be more realistic and interesting if you included salary, cap hit, dead cap hits, etc.  i know this is difficult but balancing the budget is necessary.  Improvements at some positions, or releases don't always make fiscal sense.

Thats one positive about grigs, he didnt handicap long-term.  Most deals were cap friendly as far as releasing players that didnt work out.  Thank god. haha

Look at my off-season mock. It has those numbers

11 hours ago, dw49 said:

Really , when did this happen ?  Could you post the source for that ? 

I would also be shocked if Doyle was paid in excess of 6 mill per year.

Guess I misread. It says now pats will make it a priority to resign him

19 hours ago, MTC said:

Interesting game.

Keep:

Luck

Doyle, Swoope

Ayers, Morrison

Everyone else can go.

I would keep Parry, he's on a rookie contract and has been reliable..not great but reliable, even after his contract is up I don't imagine it's going to break the bank to keep him

21 hours ago, CR91 said:

Lets play GM and evaluate the current roster. I am going to create three categories, must keep, can do better, release. This is mostly for starters. Im not gonna mention guys like Charles james who no one has heard of. 

Must Keep

Andrew Luck

TY hilton

Dwayne Allen

Donte Moncrief

Henry Anderson

Vontae davis

Clayton Geathers

AC

Mewhort

Kelly

Haeg/clark

adam v

Patty Mac

Overton

Can do better

Gore

Dorsett

Doyle

Butler

Adams

robinson

Walden

Parry

Green

Ridgeway

Melvin

good

Haeg/clark

Reitz

Turbin

Zerr

Mcgill

Rogers

Swoope

Todman

edwin jackson

morrison

langford

Release

Djax

Jones

Now can do better doesnt mean im saying they need to be replaced. it is regulated to those who either still need to evaluated or players that are long at the tooth. Haeg/clark I list twice because only one I expect to be the starter. Haeg I see more as a plug in player especially in the interior of the line like joe reitz would do. I expect us to go after another guard in FA. Clark had a few good games at the end of the season, however there isnt enough game tape on him to say definitively he will be the starter at RT. Gore and adams have been really good for the colts, however their getting up there in age. green was brought in to replace adams as it would seem, however his rookie season was up and down. I still think him and geathers can be a really good combo in the future, but Im not sure green is ready to be a full time starter. gore has been a welcoming sign for us as he has given us a running game we havent seen in years, but not the game changer we need to get pressure off of luck. If it was up to me, I would let go of every LBer. that is the one position imo that completely needs to be remodeled. walden was really good last year, but hes getting into his thirties and his double digit sack season is not the kind of player he is. edwin jackson has some potential, but other that we need a lot of young talent infused into that position. Dline is interesting because we do have some talent. anderson and ridgeway I think can be really good bookends, its the middle that needs to be improved. Parry is a good player, but leaves a lot to be desired. Id prefer him more as a rotation player then a starter. Im gonna get heat for listing allen as a must keep instead of doyle. allen is a good talent. he can do everything as a TE. its the drops that really hurt him. dont get me wrong, i like doyle. its his asking price that worries me. i would not pay him more then 3 mil a year and im sure a team like the giants would pay him a lot more.

The verdict is still out on Green. 

19 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I'll do my version later, but I wouldn't call Dwayne Allen a must keep. And I like some of our young pieces in Geathers, Ridgeway, Haeg, Kelly, Clark, and Anderson. 

This team primarily needs playmakers at LB and CB, and also a true NT wouldn't hurt. Add in some young talent at RB and you are starting to have something.

I wouldn't call Allen a must keep either. I like those players to. 

19 hours ago, coltsleafs said:

I've been watching a lot of old colts games the last few weeks like the packers colts 2004 game steelers colts playoff game and the one big difference I see on the defensive side of the ball is the pass rush we had back then. We have never really had a great secondary have always got picked apart and run all over but that pass rush with freeney and Mathis and a few others was lethal and game changing. If we can find some good pash rushers I think this team can really turn things around.

You are so right it'll make our secondary look so much better to. 

Great thread and good list. And only a few using it as an excuse to moan. A welcome change of direction from our back office woes. If we can keep Doyle, I'd be fine if we let Allen go if it makes salary cap sense etc.....

Can we realistically go all out on Defense in the draft? We certainly need a fresh young-ish RB to transition in from Gore over the next 12 months.....or is their a god target out there in FA?

4 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Great thread and good list. And only a few using it as an excuse to moan. A welcome change of direction from our back office woes. If we can keep Doyle, I'd be fine if we let Allen go if it makes salary cap sense etc.....

Can we realistically go all out on Defense in the draft? We certainly need a fresh young-ish RB to transition in from Gore over the next 12 months.....or is their a god target out there in FA?

Yes and FA. We'll pick up a HB in later rounds. 

i think you have allen and doyle backwards

doyle is the second best receiver on the team, its not moncrief.  you do have to pay to keep good players, too bad they chose to give allen the money first

edit, haeg and clark were listed twice.  i would put them in the rookies that played well and should obviously be kept category

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

Guess I misread. It says now pats will make it a priority to resign him

No big deal , just thought maybe I missed it.

I read a while ago that he could have signed a new deal last year averaging 7 mill per year. So doesn't look to be a cheap sign for NE.

Pass rush, pass rush it'll make everyone better in defense. Late round rb to compete with JF. All other picks best available on defense.

I would trade only this years picks to move up and get higher in 1st. I doubt we will be picking this high again for awhile. 

FA guard from Cinci let Bray go and keep Todman and Rogers. 

Sign Adams and Walden 1 more year.